Pages

Friday, October 5, 2018

"Success" by Ashley S-T



Malcolm X, the most prominent and militant of social reformers during the Civil Rights
movement, faced nightmarish bouts of adversity throughout his life, first in the form of inherent racism, and then for simply wishing to protect and unite the black community against said racism. Despite this, Malcolm expressed optimism and militancy towards his cause and refused to relent in what appeared, at the time, to be a hopeless uphill battle. Regarding said matter, Malcolm X stated, “There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.” Albeit my day-to-day struggles appearing miniscule in comparison, I recently became aware of the fact that I am faced with the same uphill battle of adversity; the political state of the nation I will come of age in is divisive, toxic, exclusive, and dictated solely by the corrupt nature of capitalism paired with the complacent nature of our citizens. One of the many prominent flaws in U.S. society is gun culture, an issue that our elected officials have failed to address in a momentous and productive manner since it originally surfaced, in 1999 at the Columbine High School Massacre. After nearly two decades worth of similar events, leading up to the most recent mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, my fellow classmates and I felt a call to action and were faced with opposition from nearly every adult that became aware of our plans to participate in the National School Walkout. Although I was faced with the fiercest antagonism of my young
life in the months of planning the walkout, I remained firm in my efforts, campaigned relentlessly, and refused to accept no for an answer, thus allowing me to be successful in igniting a conversation among my peers and elected officials surrounding gun culture in the U.S. 
 
One of the greatest challenges throughout the organization process was opposition from our administrators, who are subconsciously problematic in their very profession, as they perpetuate the prison-like atmosphere on campus that stifles all independent thought from students and thus was quick in its efforts to stifle ours. It wasn’t long until EHS administration had interjected itself into the March 14th Walkout, draining it of student input and replacing it with the melodramatic nature of drama students and alt-right Trump supporters, completely excluding the planning committee from the deliberation process, as well as the final event. The previously addressed Malcolm X faced similar opposition and his Christian counterpart, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., even in death has been sanitized to meet the standards of the administration of this country. With this in mind, I reminded myself of the courage it requires to impact change, according to every great leader to walk the earth, and I utilized the threats to my freedom of thought as motivation to continue to disrupt the natural flow that administration serves to protect. 

Although we faced opposition from outside forces, the most threatening opposition was that from within; our committee found ourselves in a divided state, one that can also be observed in the Civil Rights movement. I felt that I was not being acknowledged for all of my talents and properly utilized to strengthen the movement, as I continuously found myself fighting to gain the floor from another, equally qualified, committee member. It took several conversations with my mentor (Dr. Torie Weiston) for me to understand that my pride was not worth dismantling a
movement, and that before I could lead, I must learn to serve. This realization is not a new one, as I have struggled with it for years- it simply came with a real-life scenario in which I was forced to recognize the real-life consequences I would face if I failed to make a change. With this, I took time to reconsider my motivations and belief system, and emerged with a new sense of understanding of what it means to lead; I stepped down from the pedestal I had placed myself on and began to listen to understand, rather than to react. Additionally, during our discussions, Dr. Weiston helped me to call to mind the opposition from U.S. society that painted a picture of the Civil Rights movement in which Malcolm X and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. were opponents in activism rather than partners; I was reminded that divided movements are crippled movements, and with this my leadership ability and understanding of activism was strengthened. 
 
The most discouraging trial in the weeks leading up to the walkout was being faced with the cynicism, ignorance, and complacency of my peers. It seemed that I was facing a never-ending crowd of hecklers and cynics, whose existences were not inflamed by rage at the current state of union, but rather had come to accept the sickening aspects of our country as commonplace. It was humiliating and infuriating to see people throw our flyers on the floor and post degrading comments on social media regarding our efforts, however this seemed like a nominal price to pay when aspects of other social movements are taken into account- we were not being beaten or arrested, our lives not being threatened. Therefore, I had little difficulty coping with this challenge- it was the perpetuation of misinformation among the youth that I was attempting to educate that was the most demoralizing. Students spoke on topics they had never read about or researched, and gave each statement as fact, leaving no room for correction or additional information. When faced with this challenge, I simply accepted that a growth mindset
cannot be forced, but must be taught and practiced. I remained patient, and though I occasionally became weary and thus unkind to those who had no wish to expand their knowledge, I was provided with this opportunity to practice the ideals I preach as my personal philosophy. Due to this, I acquired information about the mindset of America’s youth and became empathetic to the individual perspectives of my fellow students, allowing me to strengthen my own growth mindset. 

I am faced with adversity on a day-to-day basis, whether the challenge be school related or a matter of my personal life, however none of these matters measure up to the impactful nature of my experience organizing the Etiwanda Walkout. My ability to overcome the adversity of having adults threaten my right to free thought, of struggling with my sense of self, and of learning to respect my peers despite the perspectives they hold, has been monumental in my growth as an individual. Through every step of the way, I learned something new about myself, my peers, and my country; I learned to adapt, problem-solve, think critically, speak with tact, and act with courage for the sake of reaching my goal. Regardless of the seemingly humble nature of this experience, I can state with certainty that when stepping out of my classroom on April 20th, 2018, to see a crowd of students unapologetically preparing to march to City Hall, all united under their passion and led by our committee, I experienced my first taste of true success.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley, I was completely entrapped by your blog. It was beautifully written with a perfectly chosen analogy and glorious diction. Your described the similarities between your path of activism to that of Malcolm X's in a way that made them seem exactly the same (if not in opposition, then in progression) which is rather impressive. Your story has a very clear progression of your learning, adapting to opposition, and acquisition of wisdom. Absolutely amazing job!
- Sara An

Kaili F said...

This was a throwback wow. First off, you guys did an incredible job planning the walkout. I love that you wrote your story about how it was a success, but it didn't have a boastful tone. You really focused on the challenges, obstacles, and frustrations faced in the process, making this story about overcoming rather than just straight up success. Also, the references to MLK and Malcolm X really exemplified the significance of the protest.

Xiaoqing Zhong said...

Ashley, I love the beginning of your piece, which you illustrate the powerful accomplishments of Malcolm X. Then, your transition to the adversities you are currently facing right now perfectly describes the similarities between the parallel paths of yours and Malcolm X's. I really love your strong desire to fight and your persistence. Never give up on your dreams and goals because you are an amazing activist! Last but not least, you did an incredible job with this piece!

-Xiaoqing Zhong (p.4)

Anonymous said...

Ashley, this piece was so inspiring. What I loved most about it was that you were very detailed in describing how much you grew out of the struggles you encountered. The developmental aspect I feel is the core to one's built-up success, and it was very moving to read what you got out of planning this walkout, which I'd like to comment was very well-organized and I look up to your guys' actions for change. I also loved the flow of transition in the beginning between the description of Malcom X and the current issue of school shootings, and your personal call to participate in the walkout. Amazing work, and keep doing what you are doing. You are truly making a difference. :) - Sandra Mae Samin (per. 1)

Anonymous said...

I want to start off by stating that I seriously admire how vocal you are in regards to your political beliefs. Not only do you detail how you were heavily involved with the school walkout, but you also practically spell out the situation as it is. It's American Capitalism, its the modern status quo, and you clearly show a deal of admiration towards Malcolm X, of whom is a subject of much controversy. From this, you create an enjoyable and to be completely honest, a rather impactful reflection of your experience with the school walk out, focusing in on the parallels with the hardships of the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s, and the modern struggles of the anti-gun movement.
In regards to your concluding statement, I feel that your feelings of success and accomplishment were well deserved. After all, how many kids our age can really say that they participated in modern activism?

- Ethan Ford

Brooke Leslie said...

Ashley, It has been quite a while since I have read such a brilliant piece of work from a writer as inspiring as you. Your work is exquisite in the fact that it is unique to you and your personal experiences. I respected when you mentioned needing guidance from your mentor in order to realign your values because not many people are willing to recognize and/or admit that there are other people in this world to help and not everything has to be done in solitude. Overall, I am very proud of what you have accomplished. Congratulations on your successes and I wish you many more in the future. - Brooke Leslie

Omar Sandoval said...

To start off, your story is very inspiring for fairly obvious reasons about political activism. I really liked the comparison between the divide in your own committee and Malcolm X's interesting relationship with Martin Luther King Jr. during the civil rights movement, it adds a sense of scale to how movements can destroy themselves from within. I really liked character shift from trying to be the main leader of the movement to realizing that you needed to step down for the better of the movement.The emphasis on a main theme is done really well where it can be interpreted more focused or more broadly and both are very clear in the story, where the more focused is that a divided movement is a deas movement shown in the Malcolm X example as well as in the main story, or if interpreting more broadly it can be seen as if you work at something, you will succeed. Lastly, I really like how the final two paragraphs set you up for failure through peers who seem like they don't care in the movement, but it ultimately ends in the movement being successful.