Pages

Friday, October 19, 2018

"My Take on Looking for Alaska" by Sara H.



In all honesty, Looking for Alaska by John Green (published by Speak) is not a book I would have expected to like. When I hear the name John Green, I think of Crash Course videos on YouTube (which I love) and cheesy love stories. These are the stories I tend to avoid, whether it be in Hallmark movies or romance novels. I assumed that this novel would embody the traits of the aforementioned genre, so I let it sit on my book shelf and collect dust for a while. However, an inclination within told me that, out of all of my hundreds of books, this is one I needed to read, so I did. To explain the full reach this novel had on me, I must give context.
            The narrative is told from the first-person view point of the main protagonist, Miles Halter, also known as Pudge. He is just beginning his junior year of high school at a boarding school and he must deal with the awkwardness that being the new kid comes with. Much to his surprise, he is instantly welcomed by his roommate, Chip Martin (the Colonel), and the ambiguous Alaska Young. Both of these characters are integral parts in the experiences Pudge has while at school. The Colonel and Alaska push him to come out his shell, and find the “Great Perhaps” he seeks. Essentially, he hopes to search for possibilities and opportunities that might be out there. He partakes in risky behavior, while encouraged by his new friends, and realizes that the ‘Miles Halter’ he has always know may not be who he wants to be. 
The main setting for the novel is Culver Creek Boarding School. It is a preparatory school in Alabama where the main protagonist and speaker is headed to for his junior year of high school. This location is especially significant in the ‘coming of age’ theme of the story. Boarding schools exacerbate the poor decision-making skills of teenagers and allow for self growth and reflection- as we have seen in works such as A Separate Peace by John Knowles and Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. The freedom Pudge finds at his new school is conducive for the bad habits he takes up: smoking and drinking. His environment fosters experiences unlike those he’d ever faced before, like getting thrown out of class or into a lake. Pranks are abundant between Pudge and his group of friends and what they call the “weekday warriors.” The extent to which these pranks occur comes from absence of corporal punishment that the students receive, as compared to living at home.
As expected in any novel with teens as the main characters, there is plenty of drama created by the hormones of adolescents. The Colonel and Sara, Jake and Alaska, Lara and Pudge, and Alaska and Pudge are just some of the discussed ‘involvements’ throughout the book. As the speaker is Pudge, a large portion of the focus is on his world and what affects him personally. This being said, the focus tends to be on Alaska quite often. The stereotypical relationship of “a hot, yet incredibly smart, girl oblivious to her scrawny, inexperienced best friend” is showcased in Pudge’s relationship with Alaska. He struggles with his poorly hidden attraction as the story goes on. However, Alaska does seem to care for Pudge and value his friendship- and perhaps more.
The book is split into two portions: before and after. These reference the climax of the novel. When something unthinkable happens, Pudge must come to terms with his role in the catastrophic event. Not only must he figure out why and how this event transpired, but deal with the physical and emotional pain, guilt, anger, and confusion it brings into his life. Pudge’s friendships and his strength are tested post-affliction and forever change his outlook on his life.
Not only is Green’s use of first person within this novel is undeniably significant to the development of the story, but also an important aspect in the story’s affect on a reader. As an avid reader, I have had many books that I absolutely adored: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling; the list could go on for ages. However, Looking for Alaska was a novel that was incomparable in relevance. The main character must question what he previously knew after moving to Culver Creek, and suddenly, his plethora of last words that he has memorized seems insignificant. The characters are portrayed as teenagers who feel confused, scared, excited, and all the emotions that readers do. He poses the question, “what happens in the afterlife,” through Pudge’s religion class. While this is a great example of foreshadowing, it also shows a wonderment that is something that haunts every person.
The climax of this novel, or what came after, is what makes it so extraordinary. Personally, Green was able to depict poignant feelings of the characters that I had felt but was unable to describe. Green hadn’t written an archetypal love story; he had written dark truths to concepts unfathomable to those who have not experienced it. His final two pages were something that I read multiple times to fully capture their message: things and people cannot just disappear; Last words are not the end of it all.

29 comments:

Sofia Hormaza said...

Sara, your article is extremely well organized in the way you introduced the story's plot, the setting, the characters, the effect of the point of view on the story, and wrapped it all up with the overall theme presented in the last two pages. You did an excellent job of analyzing the story through your own eyes as well. I loved how you shared why you like this book and described its many traits using strong words and details. Well done!!

Skylir Ford said...

Wow Sara! Reading this book review completely took me back to my time in middle school when I first read this book! Your eloquent and absolutely descriptive take on this astounding novel truly brought back a plethora of memories, and your words brought back so many emotions that I had experienced while reading this book, reminding me why I loved it so much. Towards the end you mentioned understanding Green's message in the last two pages, and I absolutely agree with your lasting statement. I also remember a profound quote of this from the book, which I will always remember, which is:"The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive." Great review!

Lilian Hung said...

This blog was not just a summary that I assumed it was going to be in the beginning based off the title but instead, it was more analytical and really got me to also want to read the book. The way you included so many details, such as what the characters are going through and what they experienced, without giving any details away is amazing and I wanted to continue and read some more but your blog came to an end. Similar to you, I would never have thought to read this book either just because of the title and short summary but I am glad that you took a chance on the book and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gianna Guzman said...

Sara, I really liked they way you described the book because you were really able to capture the feel of this book. It was funny when you talked about John Green's reputation and your first impressions. As someone who has read the book, I can definitely agree with your analysis of the book. You really highlighted how stereotypical the book is but also its successes.

Alex Lau said...

Great blog post Sara! I really enjoyed your quick summary regarding the book and I'm even more excited to read it now! I've read a lot of John Green novels and it always surprises me that the same person that does crash course also wrote The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns. Your description and praise for the book has e excited to read it now more than ever.

Anonymous said...

Sara,
I am amazed by how interesting you were able to make this book review! Many book reviews or summaries I have read tend to throw information at the reader until it becomes a confused jumble, but your writing was so clear and concise that I understood everything with no difficulty. You masterfully described the novel in a way that would make anyone want to read it, and I quite enjoyed the message you added in the final lines. Absolutely amazing job!
- Sara An

Eugene Kim said...

As someone who has never read this novel, I was very entertained by your descriptions and summaries of this novel. It seems that you were very successful in summarizing the essence of this novel and I had fun reading about it. I appreciate that you mentioned the connection between the characters of the book and teens in real life because it is true that we are all experiencing similar changes and emotions. Great job Sara! - Eugene Kim

Sharon Yutuc said...

I really love your review on "My Takes on Looking for Alaska", I've never read the book but the book seems interesting to read now that you described the characters, the lore behind it and how the catastrophe changed Miles. I'm very curious to see what this "strange" catastrophe that causes Miles to become depressed. I don't know what's going on but your review of this book convinced me to read this book someday when I have the chance to do it.

Ashley Sierra-Tillery said...

Sara, you are a phenomenal writer. Your thoughts are well-organized and concise and this piece was professional without boring the reader. I was engaged throughout your report and am now interested in reading the novel myself, as your description of the impact of each theme and style choice on the nature of the story has left me enthralled. Great work!
-Ashley Sierra-Tillery

Dania Fauzi said...

This was very well done! I am in the same boat as you when it comes to cheesy love stories, I generally tend to hate them. After reading your book review, I am intrigued both by the book and your interpretation of the narrative. I applaud for giving just enough detail sprinkled with your own opinions and takes on the plot without spoiling the actual story. Good job!

leena basiouny said...

Reading this review of the book really convinced me to read it again! I read the book when I was younger but reading your review made me realize that I was too young to fully grasp the different factors of the book like peer pressure and impulsive decision made by teens our age. I admit I did not enjoy the book when I was reading it but you made me realize that now I am able to make a connection with the narrator and might enjoy it this time around. I really appreciate how you informed us how it was different from all of the other books you have read. Thank you for your convincing input and I look forward to reading this book again!

Melody Lin said...

This was very well written! I have read this book before and the way you analyzed the plot between Alaska and Pudge was insightful and well-organized. The way you interpreted the book was intriguing because it made me realize the complex plots that Green uses in his other books and how all his books relate to each other.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading your book review, you definitely convinced me to read it because i have never read this but it sounds very intriguing. Great job!

alicia kaing said...

Well done Sara! I have also read "Looking For Alaska", yet it didn't impact me as much as you. It was interesting seeing your persepective of the book, and it made me want to read the book again. I also liked the fact that you compared it to other books such as "Catcher in the Rye", because of the main characters being teenagers still trying to figure life out

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara, I really enjoyed your book review and how you explained the connections of each teenager to the story and how it compares to the real world. While I haven't read this book, you have convinced that I should.
- Karen V.

Andrew Macias said...

Sara, I really enjoyed you writing and review of "Looking for Alaska." Especially how you dug deeper into the story and found why the story was made. Because of your description of the story and not giving plot points away, I am very intrigued and might have to also read the story. Amazing job on your writing.

Anonymous said...

Sara, I love your review and perception on the novel. I have personally read it and happens to be one of my favorite books. I really appreciated how organized your article is and how you incorporated quotes from the book seamlessly into the review really showing your appreciation for the book with a deep meaning. - Johnny De La Cruz

Cedric Perez said...

This was very well-written and I deeply enjoyed reading. Not only did you personally interest me into reading the novel myself, I loved your strong diction and your interpretation of the narrative throughout the entire piece. You showed your readers how this novel isn't simply an "archetypal love story." Brilliant work Sara.

Unknown said...

Sara, I love that you chose to do a book review on a one that you didn’t expect to like, but ended up enjoying it. I have also read this book and I loved every part of it. Your entry allowed me to see parts of the book in a new perspective, great job!
-Amber Rich

Anonymous said...

Before reading your review I had a pretty negative view on John Green works because they never really seemed very appealing to me because I had a generalized view that his books were for a specific audience that wasn't me. However after reading your review you convinced me that giving his books a shot would be a good idea. You showed that their is a lot more depth to his books, you did a really good job!

Eric Chang said...

Sara you have an exceptional eye for literary analysis on character development, plot, and literary themes/motifs. The way you incorporated references to other literature like "Catcher in the Rye" It left me amazed how well you were able to compare it significantly. Your very creative with your literary analysis linking your ideas to themes and backing it up with well organized evidence. Well done!

Angelina Lim said...

Sara, this was an amazing book review! I can totally relate to being skeptical about reading a book but falling in love with it afterwards. Your very Detailed explanation of the novel makes me want to read the book. Great Job!

Lexi Smith said...

Hey Sara I love the way you organized this article! I haven’t had a chance to read it but due to your analysis I’m intrigued.

-Lexi Smith

Jackson DeAndrea said...

Sara, amazing review. John Green has always been a very inspirational author that connects with the styles of our teenage lives today, that is what I like about him. Your review emphasizes that a lot, pointing out what he is most known for. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Looking For Alaska has been sitting on my desk and collecting dust for about two years now. I've read a couple pages but I always end up setting it aside. After reading your book review, I am going to pick it up again! Your book review was very well written and I enjoyed reading it.
-Deanna Ortega

Johnny A De La Cruz said...

Sara, I really loved your book review and being able to gain another perspective on a book I love so much.I also really enjoyed how you incorporated quotes from the novel into your review.

Anonymous said...

Before reading your review I had a pretty negative view on John Green’s work because they never really seemed very appealing to me because I had a generalized view that his books were for a specific audience that wasn't me. However after reading your review you convinced me that giving his books a shot would be a good idea. You showed that their is a lot more depth to his books, you did a really good job!-Nathan Brown

Chimi Nebedum said...

Wow Sara, honestly when I saw Looking for Alaska in the title of your blog I won't lie I was kind of captivated immediately. I cannot express how much your feelings reflected mine about this book. Just like you, I had thought it was just gonna be a corny love story, but after actually reading it, Looking for Alaska has become one of my favorite, if not my ultimate favorite book.
-Chimi Nebedum

Unknown said...

I've heard about this novel from a friend of mine but I wasn't too intrigued on actually picking it up and reading it, but after reading your review, this novel seems very interesting and philosophical on life and relationships with people in general. I love these types of stories, as they tend to bring certain emotions to stir in me. This review was excellent and I like how you described the conclusion you came too after reading it in your own perspective. Great job!