Pages

Friday, October 5, 2018

"Living " by Lance A



It is difficult to comprehend the fact that one day they were there, and the next, they weren’t. Although the lives we lost not too long ago are not here, the tears wept by those that cherished them have not yet dried. The grim events of August made many of us realize that we, as humans, have a finite amount of sand in a thin hourglass. As human beings, living is a key aspect of our earthly careers, and many people struggle their entire lives attempting to figure out how to accept the large yet scarce bouquet arranged with the enchanting yet cruel flowers known as “existence” and “time”. Although Hydrangeas may have many beautiful, colorful petals, we must take care to realize that even those seemingly abundant petals are sadly limited. Living is not simply all about the act of simply existing, but rather also the capacity to value life and have your life valued. 

Many of us have our individual reasons for continuing to exist, a "Raison d'être" if you will, that help us wake up every morning to bear the burdens that we do. For many, it may be money, religion, ideology, achieving one’s dreams, or the ability to keep witnessing the smile every day on the face of the one you cherish. Whatever it may be, you may be inclined to want to hold on to that dear object you value for as long as you keep living. However, it is difficult to perpetuate that article you love if you stand complacent; unwilling or unable to take action or to adapt to inevitable changes. What other method is there to value that treasure than by showing that you are willing to do anything necessary to keep it? The otherwise satisfied gardener must trudge their prized Hydrangea bush towards partial shade, especially during the barrage of heat during the summer, or else the ice fractal-esque flower will melt. If they truly value that hydrangea plant, they will want to continue maintaining it as need be. This purpose for living provides a stable ground on which to keep living, as it keeps us from wasting our existence having never worked to reach that goal or to appreciate our most precious treasures. 

The value of a person’s life heavily depends on perspective. The capitalist may assess a person’s worth based on the implicit costs of losing them. By this, I mean the monetary value in productivity and resources of a person, that disappear as a result of their no longer working or existing. On the other hand, a student may estimate the sum of their life’s worth based on grades. The issue with these rational yet morally flawed views is that they attach calculable, arbitrary values of worth on a person. Arguably, the definition one brings to themself transcends any amount of monetary value that you may place on them. A person who is self-satisfied by achieving the dreams or goals they have set for themself, is worth more than a person who hasn’t, who sees no value in themselves or has no motivation to find value. The arbitrary grades and labels that many people yearn from their peers are worth nothing, until the person themself has no need for them, because they have proved themselves to be beyond the dependency for those limiting, corporeal titles. Wildflowers do not grow because they were planted intentionally, but because they follow their nature to randomly splatter their palette of colors all over the world. Although some may consider wildflowers to be “alien” or “different”, they are indifferent because their splendor allows them to stand proud and firm in even the most desolate and unhomely of worlds,. 

It is important to recognize that remaining an audience member in one’s own life or not placing value in your own life are both equally foolish approaches to living that will yield nothing of worth or interest. Living should not be like a lecture where you’re expected to memorize and regurgitate mundane terms and trivia on an aptitude test, but rather it should be like being an AP Chemist with your own life, experimenting with ideas that could potentially make the chemical reaction of life break equilibrium and occur spontaneously in the direction you want it to. Living is being able to realize that you do in fact have an active role in the epic of your life and that you may endow your play with the things that make you smile and define you. In the epilogue, it will be you, the author of your personal narrative, who dictates what unfolds.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to start off with saying your vocabulary and input of imagery is amazing in this piece. I really loved how this was really eye opening to anyone who has questioned about life and/or who has experienced death. This is really a great piece.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm going to start off with saying your vocabulary and input of imagery is amazing in this piece. I really loved how this was really eye opening to anyone who has questioned about life and/or who has experienced death. This is a really a great piece. - Matthew Ulloa (P.4)

Brianna Jimenez said...

This piece was great, I found it to be very eye opening and insightful. I usually don't find myself thinking about life and how it is not forever and has to come to an end at some point and this piece reminded me of that, that we don't live forever and that our actions affect the kind of life we have. Also, it me think about my value of life and how I view it.

Anonymous said...

Amazing read. Everything you wrote Lance is so distinctive of your own personality and speech and yet you were able to write about a topic that I've never heard you talk about before. Your elaboration on the value of life and how to truly measure it is very much the same way I view it. The allegories and similes throughout the article clearly imparts your specific voice, and I thoroughly enjoyed how you gave such a personal statement on such an abstract topic.

Mason Song said...

Lance, nicely done! I loved your style of writing, especially using imagery and anecdotes to draw my attention! The moment I read through the first few lines of paragraph 1, I felt I must finish this blog piece. You did extremely well at using very strong diction such as “grim” and “enchanting” as this draws our attention to the deep aspects of life we do not often think about. I also enjoyed your approach at explaining this abstract concept by using multiple comparisons, whether it is from wildflowers and their nature to capitalist thinking-it really helps ease the readers of how to understand such a complex topic and feel more connected to the environment they live in and live under, much connecting to the concept you were talking in the first place-living. Again, nicely done! You explanation of living far exceeded my understanding and highly enlightened me!

Sofia Hormaza said...

I loved reading this, good job Lance. I feel this is a topic we have all at some point pondered on but never quite put it to paper. The way you wrote this was absolutely fantastic. Your vocabulary and knowledge made this passage so much more enticing. It was very well written and formatted excellently. I admired how you used examples and all types of different angles, from the gardener with the Hydrangeas, to the student and AP Chemist. :) - Sofia Hormaza

Gianna Guzman said...

Lance, this blog was written impressively. Not only did you talk about the truths of life and death, but you expressed your feelings through impressive writing skill that didn't sound unnecessary or wordy. You allowed the reader to understand your message clearly.

Alex Lau said...

Amazing read Lance. Something so abstract a concept such as living would obviously be hard to write about and yet you did it so well. Your analysis on what it means to live and how one quantifies their meaning of life was extremely enlightening. If only you could write more of these on other more abstract topics to see your viewpoints on them!

Xiaoqing Zhong said...

Lance, you did an amazing job on this piece! I love the way you effectively used allusions to explain complex principles of life in order to convey your intended message. Your use of metaphors of the wild flowers and chemical reactions in comparison to life was definitely astonishing, and your diction shows how great of a writer as well as how knowledgeable of an individual you are! Again, this is one of the most insightful pieces of work I have ever read!

- Xiaoqing Zhong (P.4)

Anonymous said...

Lance, there is not much to say except you did amazing on this piece from start to finish. Your opening really drew me in and kept my attention throughout the whole post. Your choice of words truly express what you trying to say, I did not once find myself confused or uninterested during this post. In such a time where we may be struggling to get ourselves to keep on going, this post helps me to realize why I do the things I do. I loved your analogy of comparing existence to the Hydrangeas. Time is something that we must all be aware of and treat with care. I also enjoyed when you pointed out the flaw of attaching a "calculable" worth to the human life. There is nothing that could ever determine a person's worth. Once again you did an excellent job and I love your style of writing (you chose the perfect topic!!).

Valarie Ly said...

Lance, your writing was absolutely amazing. It really drew me in because it sounded so personal, yet still applied to every human being. Your word choice really allowed the piece to develop in it's own way, as it went over the tough subject of living. I'm glad I came across this blog because it really opened my eyes on what the definition of living really is.

Melody Lin said...

This was a nicely written blog that made me think about life and death as a whole. It made me think about how differently each person perceives human value. I liked how you used wild flowers and a gardener with Hydrangeas as analogies. This was a nicely structured blog with good word choice and transitioning.

Luke Andrus said...

Great job Lance! The questions you imposed are cutting and and extremely philosophical. I love the way you ponder and question the worth of one's own individual reasons for existence and the motivations behind them. It really causes me to even consider my own reasons of why I operate and live for what I do.

Rebekah Cramer said...

Thank you for writing this piece; it is my favorite of the ones I’ve read from this month’s collection. This is definitely a topic that has been weighing on my mind recently-- more so than normal, in light of the recent events you addressed at the beginning of this piece. It is pretty hard to read (not because the grammar or structure is weak or flawed, however; thank you so much for using correct grammar and clear structure throughout!), me being so close to the subject matter in many ways. I find it interesting that both the act of adding value to one's life or taking one's life is an active approach to this topic-- an approach you advocate in your paper-- which would then beg the question: which is to be done when one finds themselves lacking self validation or, as you put it, “remaining an audience member in [their] own life”? The topic of your second paragraph answers this question in a few ways: first, it establishes the lack of will to live as the result of complacency and a generally passive manner of living; second, it gives the reason for life as the pursuing and achieving of one's goals. Then, in the third paragraph, you explain that one’s value as a living person is obtained through self reflection and following through on the purpose of life (namely, goal-setting and achieving). I find your ideas and structure very easy to follow and clearly explained, and I appreciate the examples you gave for methods of finding value; me being a very analytical person, I almost immediately related to the example of the economist in giving myself value, then was quickly set in line by the term “morally flawed views”! I know this is a really long comment-- I’m sorry-- but really, fantastic job!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lance! This has to be one of the most impressive and profound pieces of writing I have ever read. Your written thoughts and ideas have an air of sophistication but also brevity about them, which I find personally difficult to do, but you executed it beautifully. I loved the metaphorical comparisons that you implemented in this piece, especially in regards to the gardener and the hydrangeas flowers. Utilizing these proved to be effective embellishments to your writing! Overall, I enjoyed this piece very much and I can find myself going back to this essay to read again because it is so thought-provoking. Amazing job, I'd love to read more from you! :) - Sandra Mae Samin (per. 1)

Jean Andre Molina said...

Hey, Lance, this is actually one of my favorite pieces. You’re opening sentences instantly caught my attention especially when you said “one day they were there and the next they weren’t.” I knew instantly knew who you were talking about, and that caused me to want it to read it more. I really like how you broke the meaning of living into different perspectives and identify the various flaws. This got me thinking more on what does it mean to be living, and and I really like how you said that we have an active role in our life and you decide on what things you want to unfold. I just wished everyone would know that because it’s so true, we control our own destiny. This is so relatable because back then I only show a certain perspective to my friends. However, as time proceeds, I started to show them the true me. Overall a great and a amazing piece. - Jean Andre Molina

Charlene Sangalang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charlene Sangalang said...

I believe that these words of yours shine like stars that can lead someone lost in the dark to find the purpose behind their heart beating at this moment of time. This certain writing piece appears to be simple yet elegant at the same time. From the amount of diction and analysis you provided regarding the concept of "living", it all seems to be balanced out well. I enjoy your comparisons of "wildflowers" and an "AP chemist" as you were able to express ideas that lead me to a whole new perspective. Every single phrase you provided all proves to fit together despite the complexity. I can tell it was written from such a true soul like you and I would like to take this moment to thank you for writing this charismatic reflection of yours.
- Charlene Sangalang

Anonymous said...

Subjects like the human condition and our individual purposes in life are not an easy topics to tackle, yet, with the blending of insightful pondering and personal experiences, you pretty much detail and explain the foundations of the Existential philosophy. This is not an easy task to perform, yet you succeed in creating an enjoyable read that discusses these very subjects, leaving the reader with little options other than to act upon these new ideas that you have presented, and to become inspired to act with a new found existential inspiration in life.

- Ethan Ford

Ryan Kang said...

As always, your diction and use of figurative language are impeccable. The evaluation of the human condition and the evaluation of life throughout this piece were something that I'm sure none of us fellow students could put together more cohesively and well thought out than you could. You've clearly and concisely laid out how living is far more than just performance quantities, and more-so one's best attempt at enjoying and embracing the world around them.
This piece has opened my eyes at how passive I have been in my own life. Just watching the days wilt away as I toy away at the workload in front me. Not really driven into one direction, but merely playing the part of a user of the overall system. Merely to this day, I have just been hoping for something to steer me in a clear direction, but alas, instead I sit there, being an audience member to my own life, not taking an active role.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you for making this piece, you have really opened my eyes on how I should try and approach life and the challenges that manifest it. Your piece was exemplary and I hope that you will produce more thought provoking pieces in the future. -Ryan Kang

Ethan Mathenge said...

This piece really put into perspective the concept of living and how living depends on the being, your example with the gardener and how their perspective of living is through doing their everyday work is very eye opening and further proves that all humans are different in their own way