Pages

Friday, October 20, 2017

" Steps to your Seasonal Pumpkin Spice Latte" by Sabrina G

Everybody pull out your boots, flannels, and sweaters because fall is here! With fall being the perfect time of the year to start wearing your fuzzy socks, it also perfect for nuzzling next to the tv and watching the best holiday movies while enjoying your favorite warm drinks. As the weather cools the demand for coffee and warmer drinks rise. This year, instead of paying for multiple Starbucks drinks you can make the ever so popular pumpkin spice latte in the comfort of your own home. This drink will also carry you throughout the cold weather and help you survive the holiday season and the craziness that might come with it. The twisted but classic brew from my aunt has been made at every holiday family event and cold weather visits. This autumn delight will only take you 5 to 10 minutes to make and will serve you and a friend. Creating a drink using ingredients as delicate as coffee and milk and specific instructions I will help guide you to make your unique and perfect pumpkin spice latte by referencing additional sub-in/ sub-out options to spice up your fall season. I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients you will need are…
1 cup whole milk
3 tbsp of ready to make pumpkin pie mix
1 tbsp maple syrup
¼ tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup organic brewed coffee or espresso

Optional or substitutional ingredients are…
2 tbsp of cooked pumpkin
¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp clove

*Tip - ingredient measurements are flexible according to your preference of coffee strength and dietary restrictions to specific ingredients.

Step 1: Gather whole milk, pumpkin pie mix, vanilla and maple syrup and put over medium stove heat until the milk is hot or to your desired latte temperature. Combine slowly and continuously so milk will not overheat and create a thick layer at the top of your mixture also known as the milk curdling. Heating the milk is vital so that when the foam or whip cream is placed on the top at the end will stick to the top of the drink. It is also important because in later steps if you add cold milk to the hot coffee then the milk will curdle and you would have to start over.
*Tip - To taste even more natural, instead of adding the pumpkin pie mix then you may add 2 tbsp of cooked pumpkin and ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice. In general to make anything more homemade then add natural extracts to the mixture.

Step 2: Take a whisk and stir rapidly to make the milk turn into foam for approximately 30 seconds. The foamy texture is important so that the drink will stay warm for longer therefore the happiness will continue.
*Tip - If you would like a healthier pumpkin spice latte you may substitute whole milk for nonfat milk or even coconut milk.

Step 3: Place the espresso or coffee into a large mug first and add the whole milk after. For added flavor you may add pumpkin pie spice at the top. Depending on how strong you like your coffee then you would add the whole milk mixture until your coffee looks the shade of brown to which you prefer. You may then add whip cream or a sugar free healthy option to the top of the latte to serve.  
            *Tip - To make a coffee free pumpkin spice drink then you would substitute the coffee or espresso for more steamed milk and add nutmeg and clove on to the whipped cream to give an extra spice to the fall favorite.

            Congratulations you have now made your custom fall latte! Besides saving money and gas from the multiple trips to and from Starbucks there are great health benefits as well. Starbucks and other pumpkin spice recipes may use unnecessary amounts of sugar and carrageenan. By making this drink you are responsible for the natural and organic ingredients that are added into it and you can also change the recipe to fit any specific diet. When making this drink opposed to buying a Starbucks drink you can insure diabetes protection, improved heart health and better physical performance. Using these natural ingredients in your pumpkin spice latte or even in your normal morning coffee will lead to greater positive health feedback. I hope you will reference with recipe in the future so you can bundle up and watch the annual holiday movies that you have been waiting all year too see with a perfect hand created pumpkin spice latte.







20 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never had pumpkin spiced lattes before and this recipe has encouraged me to try it. It is straightforward and I really appreciated the tips you included to tailor it to our personal tastes.

Megan Jenkins said...

Great job Sabrina! You made this recipe super easy to follow and I loved that you included different substitutes for different ingredients. Your introduction created an image of fall in my head and I thought it was a delightful touch on your tutorial.

Unknown said...

Wow!!! A classic PSL(Pumpkin Spice Latte) is one of my personal favs and to refer to an easy at home recipe is the greatest! The recipe is very well put together and contains the best ingredients to make a classic like this one taste like the original classic.

Anonymous said...

Breanna Carrillo
By reading this makes me excited at how fall is coming and it's a great time to have hot beverages now! I loved how you added tips because it helps the reader know they can substitute other ingredients with their drink. This was great to read, loved it!

Anonymous said...

This is a very informative post and I appreciate how I’m depth it is. When how tos are this well explained it makes it harder for the reader to mess up the execution, and I’m sure you saved people from a trip to Starbucks!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the drink that you decided to write a recipe for. I really enjoyed your intro when explained that it was fall and you described all the little things that are associated with fall. I'm excited to try your recipe out for myself. :)

Janae Stowers said...

I love how detailed this is. I only had the Pumpkin Spice Latte once all the way back in middle school. I like how you started off by describing all the images and activities that go with the fall season. Then explained how anyone can make their own drink at home.

Klynn Davis said...

I love how you included the benefits of making this at home. You also have a lot of great details. You made it sound so good. I never had one but i'm looking forward to trying this. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Perfect Timing! I love that you decided to write about something that is such a cult favorite in such a cute and imagery based way. Your introduction and conclusion were so light-hearted and welcoming it made me want to read more and more! I especially loved the inclusion of the specific health benefits at the end. Great Job! Time for me to go make one! -Sabrina Wilkerson P.1

Unknown said...

I loved reading this, I look forward to trying to make this drink. This season is the best and it is feels wonderful when you have a warm drink to keep your body feeling good. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Anonymous said...

I love that you added substitutions. Like you mentioned in the intro paying for Starbucks drinks is too much of a waste and when you have a recipe like this it makes everything 10 times better. I can't wait to try this myself!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for showing how to make this drink. Personally I've never been a big fan of coffee drinks but since it's fall time I feel it wouldn't be so bad to try. I feel this drink will be a good place to started and thank you for the well written directions that make it seem so easy to do.
-Austyn Coleman
Period 1

Unknown said...

Your introduction was priceless and had me hooked just from the first two sentences. I'm always on the look out for recipes especially during holiday time. Thanks!

Megan Radford said...

Your recipe was very straightforward and had easy to follow steps. I loved your use of imagery in the intro to create a sense of fall. It made me want to try out your recipe even more. I also loved how you included ingredients you could sub in for other ingredients. I look forward to trying this drink! Great job Sabrina :)

Unknown said...

Anything Pumpkin flavored makes me look forward to this time of year! Your recipe is so appropriate for this season and I love the multiple options presented to make a customized beverage. The presentation is very professional as though out of a cook book. I think I will seriously consider making a pumpkin spice latte sometime this season.

Brianna Icamen said...

Thank you for this recipe! I loved the imagery you used to introduce your piece.Your steps are very clear and straightforward and I thank you for that. I can't wait to try this out!

Alejandro Quintanilla said...

This recipe was straightfoward and had very clear instructions and although i have never been a big coffee drinker I have heard that this drink is very popular and I'm excited to try this recipe.

Unknown said...

This is going to save me all the money I keep spending at Starbucks everyday. Thanks for the recipe, it sounds so good so I definitely have to try it.

Unknown said...

Your instructions on how to make this were very specific and I really want to try this! I don't think I've ever had a pumpkin spice latte before but now I'm going to try it. Your introduction was really amazing!

Unknown said...

Oh my, I love pumpkin spice lattes! I'm very excited that you've provided thorough instructions on how I can make my own! I'm pretty terrible at cooking and even though this isn't exactly cooking, I'm sure I would mess something up. These instructions make feel a little more confident. They were detailed and very specific and I admire and thank you for these straightforward and easy instructions.