Pages

Sunday, October 8, 2017

"My Purpose " by Victoria E



 Naturally, everyone wants to know his or her purpose. I know mine, however I'm not going to tell you what it is yet. Granted, reading this you will understand the one event that contributed to who I am. If you don't know me, or know nothing about me, you will now.   
My story begins with an enormous passion for a sport. It helped that I had natural God-given talent. I played soccer better than I spoke English. From the ages of five to sixteen, I was breathing, eating, and sleeping soccer. I could put on cleats faster than mascara and knew more about slide-tackles than acrylic nails. Many who watched me play the sport had endless compliments for me, including my father. In fact, the only reason my father and I had a great relationship was because of the beautiful sport. By the time I was fifteen, I had college scouts sitting on the sidelines of my games unapologetically decked out in their school colors. They observed my every move and scribbled on clipboards as if they were taking notes on an important school lecture. I had offers being thrown at me like candy and I was even being scouted for Olympic and National teams. This is part of the reason why I thought soccer was my purpose. Soccer brought me friendships, attention, and it brought me a future. Soccer was my purpose, my only purpose, till the day I learned it wasn't. 
It was January of my freshman year when my purpose broke. Literally it snapped, torn in half completely. It was a Friday night, game night. I was sprinting down the sidelines wearing my varsity jersey with my lucky number on my back. Ending my sprint, I planted my foot and felt the worst, sharpest pain of my life. The momentum and weight of my body put too much pressure on my knee. I heard four pops and the pain was so unbearable my whole leg went numb. I lay motionless on the artificial grass. My coach, teammates, and mom rushed the field and I was bombarded with questions. Yet, I didn’t hear them and I didn’t care to hear them. I knew what I had done. Although, I didn’t want to say it out loud in fear that just the words coming off my lips would set it in stone. However, a voice in the back of my head kept repeating it. "Tori you tore your ACL."  The Anterior Cruciate Ligament is a nonvascular ligament meaning the body cannot heal itself. The only way to repair it is through a three-hour knee surgery along with a twelve-month recovery. Every competitive female soccer player in their teens knew this was the worst injury anyone could have and was not even wished upon their worst enemy. I lost more than just playing time on that Friday night. I lost playing soccer for a year. I would not be able to play soccer to escape from my problems for a year. I would not be able to make my dad smile after a great pass or a great goal for a year. I lost my purpose for a year. At least, I thought I did. A month after what seemed like the worst game of my life, I traded my jersey for a hospital gown. I came out of surgery with a three-inch incision on my knee. I was extremely bitter. However, did you know that when you're stuck at home crippled lying in bed you have actual time to talk to your friends? Did you know that without soccer practice three times a week from six to nine you also have time to have real family dinners? How about, did you know that without games on the weekends you even have time to go to church? I never knew these things. I was unfamiliar with the concept of extra time because normally soccer took all of it. In fact, I was so used to soccer and only soccer I had no idea what to do with all this extra time I had. Thankfully, family, friends, and the Lord became my new normal. I even got to actually know my sister. Get this, she's a dancer. I just thought she slept in the room next to mine. Slowly but surely, I began to see what a blessing the worst game of my life was.  
Before tearing my ACL, it was rare for my family to be all together other than my games.  We were all "together" but I would be on the field, my dad would be coaching, and my sister would be begging my mom for ice cream money. "Quality family time" gained a new and improved definition when I was forced to stop playing. I went to my sisters first dance recital and she was effortlessly talented. She was better than I could have ever imagined. It made me immediately feel guilty for never staying to watch her dance practices even though she was always forced to watch mine. This made me discover a new purpose. My new purpose was to be a sister. I had also never put in time or effort into making friends who didn’t play soccer because in my “soccer is my purpose eyes" they were a distraction. I was always focused on what made me a better soccer player rather than what made me a better friend. I knew some familiar faces at school but nothing more. Familiar faces at school became names and those names became part of my family. With my new friends I began loving harder, laughing more, and enjoying little things. I discovered a new purpose. My new purpose was to be a friend. These new friends, all with different personalities, allowed me to grow as a person and become more well rounded. My friends and I began going to church on Wednesdays and Sundays. My previous leadership skills from being captain of so many teams allowed me to obtain a leadership position inside the church as well. I began to mentor kids who genuinely looked up to me and turned to me in times of hurt. With this, I discovered a new purpose. My new purpose was to help others. Life had begun to become so much more than a ball and a goal. The year that I was supposed to be recovering and rehabbing to get back on the field took a detour and taught me more than I ever expected. There is no such thing as only having one purpose in life. My purpose in life is to have many purposes. I will not only live out my purposes but I will also continue to search for more. When you confine yourself to a limitation of one purpose you stop growing as a person.  My painful, dream-breaking injury taught me that. In the truth of it all, the day I tore my ACL was the day a self-seeking journey began. With that journey, I found my purpose.  

  



28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tori oh my gosh you literally wanna make me cry I love this so much and I loved reading this so much! You are a great person and a greater writer and I encourage you to continue writing and telling us more about your purpose. Really loved it great work! #im15always

Lauren Elizabeth Wright said...

I really enjoyed reading this. The piece itself was very well written and you did a great job of getting your message across. Aside from that, I was very interested reading the entire time because I've known you since middle school, but we've never been super close, so I did not know all of this. I think it's extremely respectable that you went through this injury that you could have been bitter about, but ended up taking it in a positive way that clearly made you a better person. Great job :)

Anonymous said...

Tori! This is so great! I've know you've been through a lot, but with this piece it shows how you took this experience and turned it into a time of observing what was around you, and begin to make real life connections with others; I really felt like I was with you while reading this piece by the use of imagery. Great job!
-Eliana Rodriguez

Amber Duran said...

Thank you so much for sharing you story with us. Just as you had clearly explained, we don't know what is truly important until something major has happened to us. Even though it may seem bad, it changes our life for the better, just as you have shown us with what happened to you. The story was very personal and touching. It allowed me to stop and think about how we all have a purpose that is deeper than what the surface shows us. You write so beautifully that I felt like you were standing there talking to me about this story. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Tori I absolutely loved reading this. I know how passionate you are about soccer and reading your story literally made me want to cry. You wrote so beautifully that I felt pain in my heart and I know you did when you tore your ACL. I know how devastating that must have been, and I am so proud that you get to do what you love this year and I can't wait to go and watch you. Keep it up Tori!! Good job!

Erl Lee said...

This is a great blog. The way you turned your perspective on your injury shows that you are a very grateful person and that you are aware of your surroundings. Your narration of the your piece was really good and I enjoyed reading it.

Erl Lee

Imani Crenshaw said...

I love your outlook on having a purpose, or purposes, rather. Your story and the change in your predicted path is so heartwarming. I want to thank you so much for sharing this with us because it has opened my eyes, as well, to different possibilities- that my purpose is not excluded to one particular goal. I loved the way you began speaking on purposes, told your story, then concluded with tying it into what you learned about having one. It flowed so wonderfully. -Imani Crenshaw

Unknown said...

Losing the ability to do what you love is something I've always been afraid of, so I can definitely empathize with you. I love how this piece captures your initial moment of shock but focuses more on positive side effects of the accident. I'm happy that your new perspective on life has given you a new purpose. Your post was quite moving and I certainly enjoyed reading it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story and I really enjoyed it. The descriptive imagery you used put me on the soccer field, to the hospital, and all of the places you mentioned. I really felt like I was there when all of the events happened. Your narrative reminded me that our loved ones come first and I need to spend more time with them. I am happy that you found your passion and I'm excited to find mine, too!

-Joseph Madere
Period 1

Anonymous said...

I cannot tell you how much I relate to your fear of loosing your purpose in life even if it is not your purpose now. I play soccer as well and I can relate to everything your saying it is a beautiful sport that take a hundred and twenty percent all the time. But loosing that I cannot imagine but I am so glad that you found a purpose in your family and your sister and a little religion as well. Your piece is beautiful and speaks to me in a way that I will most definitely be paying more attention to my family. You have done a truly great job.

Sara Perez Period 5

Anonymous said...

Tori I enjoyed reading your piece and getting to know a little bit more about you through your writing. You did a great job at expressing the pain and loss you felt when tore your ACL. Your description of your new purpose was heart warming and I enjoyed your piece all together.

Ooomr said...

Tori this was amazing to read! Other than speaking the truth about your amazing skill, writing about how you learned to cope with your bitterness and find a new purpose in your life was breathtaking. Although not everyone plays soccer your piece can really bring advice to others who don’t see what they’re missing, people who don’t realize that they could be spending more time with family and friends. Really great job Tori !

Unknown said...

I genuinely enjoyed reading your piece. Everything from the clever format of story telling to the content itself pulled me into your work. It's awful lose the ability to do something so close to you, yet it turned out to do (debatable) more good than harm.

Bezawit Abraham said...

The way you shared your story was beautiful. Its amazing how you turned possibly the worst thing that could happen to you into a gift. It really opened my eyes and made me think that maybe when terrible things occur its a way of God letting us know that there is a better purpose for us.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved this. I felt the emotions throughout your story and I'm glad you were able to get something so irreplaceable out of a tragic moment. Losing something that was once important to you, or rather the lifestyle you had, must have been terrible, but family will always be there with you. Great job!

Taslima Ahamed said...

Tori, i am so glad to read this because i didn't know a lot about you but now i do. Your story isn't just a story, it have lot of emotions and feelings towards your purpose. The favorite part was, when you turned your purpose on your sister, family and friends. My brother went through the same thing while he had soccer game. But now he can't play anymore, not even running. It's been 5 years that he played soccer, but i never saw him crying or breaking down even though i know how hard it was for him to knowing that he won't be able to play soccer anymore. He found his new purposes but the best part is, he face his dark time so confidently. My parents and i thought, he won't ever watch any soccer games and all but he did the opposite thing. He went to Barcelona to watch the game and he had a great time. So i am glad that you did that, so proud of you.
-Taslima Ahamed
-Per:05

Unknown said...

This article was effortlessly articulated in a way that drew the readers in from the beginning. Your insight about finding your actual purpose, and how horrific events can lead to something bigger than we know was truly inspiring. I love how you used rhetorical questions to describe how each aspect of your life changed. Good job!

Anonymous said...

This piece is so beautifully written and definitely brought tears to my eyes. Some experiences in life are unexpected, but you decided to change your outlook on a tragic event to a more positive one, which is extremely admirable. The rhetorical questions you constantly repeated grealty emphasized your change in character as you realized that there is more to life than soccer. Your growth in mentality throughout the piece is demonstrated as your story effortlessly flows. I know that one purpose of yours is to continue inspiring those around you with your optimistic perspective on life. Thank you for sharing such an amazing story.

Anonymous said...

Tori, your story was absolutely inspiring. The rhetorical questions definitely highlight your sarcastic personality. The character development in this piece is shown through realizing what your actual purpose is. As your friend, I understand how important soccer is to you, and the devastation behind losing it. However, actually reading what you went through and feeling your emotion was so powerful, and to openly write about this event in your life is very commendable. Thank you for sharing this beautiful inspirational!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Tori!! This was amazing! I felt all the emotion put into this piece. I am also an athlete and i've been injured more times then I can even count. Your strength and drive to keep moving forward is so inspirational. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Tori!! This is amazing! There was so much emotion put into this piece, I felt it. I am an athlete myself and i've been injured more times than I can even count. Your strength to keep moving forward is truly inspirational. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Tori! This is amazing! As you know, I am an athlete myself. I've been injured more times than I can even count. I've come close to never playing basketball again. Yet, I still have the ability to step out on the court. This reminds me to not take that for granted. Your strength to keep moving forward despite what you went through is very inspirational! Thank you for sharing!

Garrett Denton said...

I really liked your piece, Tori. I think it perfectly captures the life of sports, and even though they are an escape, sports require so much time and energy and have a huge risk for your health. Most people in sports know that, but how you symbolized soccer into your life is emotional and creates an amazing story.

Megan Radford said...

Tori, I am so proud of you for sharing this with the world. Your story is filled with hope and encouragement for those who need it most. Your rhetorical questions really highlight your sarcastic personality and made me laugh. Your strength and perseverance through one of the hardest times in your life is inspiring, and I couldn't be more glad to call you my friend.

Anonymous said...

Now I'll be honest, I am not the biggest fan of sports and know little to nothing about them or the problems that may come with ingraining it so deep into one's own life. That is why I feel fortunate to find a story like your's, to help see through your perspective the impact playing sports had on your life. Although I agree with finding a passion and purpose in following it, I am glad to know that you had the clarity to see past it and to find value in other parts of life. Keep those other purposes on the front of your mind and treasure all that life can give. Thank you for sharing such an amazing story with us.

- Justin Presto, Period 1

Unknown said...

You and I have known each other since we were kids, i was reading what i already know and have seen in you over the years, but the difference is actually reading it makes me so proud of the person you are today. You have always been the one who looks on the brighter side of things and encourages and motivates others to do the best in everything they do. It's inspiring how you, like most people go through many struggles and obstacles in life but you get through them and keep your faith which is truly amazing.

Unknown said...

I am so amazed to read this! Tori your personality is so amazing while reading this I thought I was talking to you. I can relate to you in so many ways and it is truly wonderful to know your purpose at such a young age because many people don't realize until they become an adult. Keep up the great work and fulfilling the purpose God instilled in you!

Anonymous said...

I was really moved by your post. You did a great job in conveying your feelings at the loss of something you were so passionate about. The ending was so uplifting as you moved past this loss and were able to enjoy other aspects of life. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

-Zachary Judson
Period 4