Pages

Friday, October 20, 2017

"My Lesson to You" by Valerie C


      When we are all very young we are taught to always impress a person with our manners. To make them feel respected constantly and always listen, never look distracted if a person is speaking, especially an elder! Always use formal language my parents constantly reminded me when I would forgot to say “Usted” , which is a way of establishing a formal relationship in the Spanish language. As I grew with manners embedded into my brain, my parents knew I would always be respectful to any person. So they unfortunately gave me a new lesson to learn, it was unfortunate for two reasons: 1. I had to listen to my parents 2. I learned this lesson sooner than I wanted to. My parents said to me, “Every person you meet will remember you one way or another, so always be the happy you, always be the positive you, always be the you you want people to remember when you are gone.” and since that moment I constantly wondered what they were trying to say. So I happily went about my life with my family, friends, and occasional strangers trying to always make them happy and laugh. It wasn’t until after summer 2017 that I realized being the happiest you and the best version of you is not only for people to remember you when you are gone, but it’s to remember the way you made others smile and glisten with happiness when they're no longer on this earth. See, the summer of 2017 my family of 20 plus and I went on a vacation to beautiful Cancun. Of course I was being the happiest version of myself because I had not seen half of my 20 plus family members in a while, it wasn’t until after this trip I would be entirely grateful to have gotten to be the best version of myself in front of some of the best people. It is inevitable to lose people in this world, as a matter of fact death is the moment in which people realize they have come full circle in life, death is the moment in which people ask themselves “Did I love this person enough?Did I ever disregard or disrespect something this person was saying? Was I the absolute best version of myself? Will they remember all the magical moments we all spent together? Did I truly make a difference in this person’s life?”. As I came home after an amazing family vacation I learned that two of the most vibrant men on that vacation had died no less than 24 hours of leaving our hotel. As hours and tears went by I began to remember moments in which life was great, moments in which I would see the two amazing uncles laughing at my smart remarks and resembling me to my father as they called me Valentina (a nickname I truly do hate and love). This is when I finally understood my parents lesson and it was really to make my mark in a person’s life. To make sure they knew they were dear to me, to make sure they knew I loved them, to make a statement in their life, and to be able to remember whenever it is necessary. After coming around to the lesson my parents had taught me I never had trouble remembering the great times I spent with with my family that summer. Of course one is angry when God or life, whatever you believe, takes people away for an unknown reason; but anger was no longer present in my life after this summer only memories. All that was left was the mark they had left in my life, the influence that was scattered in my life  because of them, the laughter given off and the images of happiness I was lucky enough to inflict in their lives as well. I was lucky enough to have them in my family and I am eternally grateful to have spent their last days with them. That being said, I am forever grateful that my parents taught me such a valuable lesson that reminds me to always try and put a smile on others faces because as subtle as a smile is the memory that comes with it is priceless. So, I pass this lesson on as a way of telling you to be the absolute best version of yourself while with others, as hard as things get the memories and the feeling of being apart of someone’s smile, someone’s laugh, and someone’s life is indescribable.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Valerie I want to thank you for writing this because it really opened my eyes to a lot of things. Many people don’t see that such a little thing could have such a huge impact on both them and us. I really enjoyed reading this !

Anonymous said...

I liked this story because of the imagery and lecturing tone to help show us that first appearance matters. People will only remember you after the first time you meet them and I totally agree with you that showing positive attitudes will go a long way. Nice Job! -Erick Gutierrez per.4

Anonymous said...

This made me get some tears learning that some of your family members died. it must have been a very tough situation but I loved what you had to say about making a difference in a persons life by being the best version of yourself and watching others be happy.

Anonymous said...

I can see the point made in your story and I applaud you on your efforts to spread a good message to others. I often find myself wondering why I would ever do something horrible to another person and if that moment is all they will ever remember me for. Unlike you, I was never taught to reflect on my actions against others and for a long time I treated others pretty bad. Although, I know now that such petty things only leaves a bad memory and does no good to anyone afterwards. I'm glad to see that not everyone had to learn this lesson the hard way and I hope you continue to teach others to be the best that they can be. Thank you for sharing your story with us and for making others smile while you can.

-Justin Presto (Per. 1)

Cassidy Baker said...

When I reached the end of your blog post, I had the chills. Thank you so much for sharing this valuable lesson. I completely agree with you and your family, that you should always promote the best version of yourself while with others. I am so sorry for your loss, I know your uncles are watching over you, so proud and admiring what a respectful and great niece they have.

Unknown said...

Although this topic is a sad one, the tone in which you describe it shows an inner tranquility and almost understanding of the mortality of man. It reminds me that life is fleeting as you said, "be the absolute best version of yourself while with others". I apologize for the death of your uncles, but you showed that being the the happiest version of yourself will stop the "what ifs" of life. Overall a touching piece that made me text all my family and tell them I love them.

Unknown said...

Reading this piece was very emotional for me. Being the best person you can be is always an early lesson but its not one that prepares you for death. Its a tragedy that no one wants to face but those happy smiles and memories of your love ones will remain now all that people have to do afterwards is live and love to the fullest. Life is to short to remain bitter and I respect the way you were brought up.

Anais Moran p.5 said...

Thank you for sharing a very intimate moment and also a wonderful life lesson that everyone should know. Personally I struggle with this very often. For me its hard to be happy-go-lucky when the people around you are giving you the most difficult time. Sometimes I think "why bother, they don't care enough to be nice back." But I have to get over this mentality, because everything you do as a person leaves an impression, just like you said. So I'm so sorry for what you went through, but I have taken your message to heart and am going to do my best to implement it constantly.

Kristyn Reed said...

I'm extremely sorry for your loss. The way you took such a positive outlook on these events is beautiful and inspiring. You are happy because you knew that you did everything you could to make sure that your uncles knew you loved them. I believe everyone needs to do this, including myself, because you never truly know what could happen. I will strive to follow this and educate others on its importance.

Joshua Duque said...

Thank you for this piece. A lot of hate and negativity can be seen in the world today and your lesson on being the best you and leaving a positive lasting impression on everyone gives me a positive view on a more peaceful and loving world. The personal details really connected with me and brought it close to home.

Unknown said...

First of all, I’m sorry for your loss. I loved your piece because it’s something that we all need to learn and be reminded of. We sometimes caught up in the stresses of life that we forget to be kind to others. I try to do this, but sometimes also forget. You reminded and inspired me and others to be the best selves we can possibly be every day. Thank you for sharing your story!

Mariah Thomas said...

Valerie, your story really captured on how important it is to be involved and be nice to everyone you meet, because you never know what can happen to them and you. This story also really shows the harsh reality of death and how you can be living your life one day and be gone the next. Well done Valerie.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding myself as well as others (I'm sure) how important it is to be kind to one another. Tomorrow isn't promised and I think we as humans tend to take the people in our life for granted. I'm sorry for your loss! Well written Valerie!

Meila Perez said...

Valerie, this is such a well written piece. Your story really shows a shift in attitude after your experience in Mexico. It takes in account of how life really should be seen and that you’ve learned from your parents being so thankful for them. Good job.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed this message because it is so true. Everything a person says really has an impact on them. Just saying hi to someone will brighten up their day. Everyone should show love because we don't know when will be the last time that we see them.


Jenny Anyaogu said...

I think your parents should be very proud with the way they taught you and raised you. Just from your writing, I can tell you are a very considerate human being who will do anything in their power to make someone’s day. Being the best version of yourself can be a very tiring task, but the fact that you manage to do so is incredible. I’d first like to say that I am incredibly sorry for your loss. I know exactly how it feels to lose someone in the family. When I lost my grandpa, I hated myself because I wasn’t always the best version of myself in front of him. However, after reading this, I’m going to take your parents advice and try to be the best Jenny I can be.

Anonymous said...

Valerie, I really enjoyed this piece, I think we can all learn a valuable lesson by being the best version of ourselves because it can truly make a difference in ones life. I loved the details you used in this piece and how you kept a positive outlook throughout. Great job!
- Eliana Rodriguez

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed the way you told your story. I felt like I would be able to compare with you even though I have not gone through the same thing as you through your writing. Besides that, I am also sorry for your loss. I hope that your lesson would be able to teach others the manners that you learned as well.

Jeremiah Credo P1

Unknown said...

These lessons are extremely valuable and they should be cherished. The way you represent yourself to others creates such an impact. Thank you for writing this story because everyone forgets these lessons at one point and I personally took this as a reminder to be my best self.

Luke Fleischmann said...

Thank you for opening up yourself within this story. It really brought me, and probably the other readers, closer to you on a personal level. I like how you showed your transformation from just doing what your parents said because they told you to, to actually understanding what they meant. We don't get forever on this world so why waste time showing your worst to people.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the lesson you learned to us so we can share it to others. Its good that you incorporated a theme into this write up and actually wrote this for a cause. Good, actually great job.