Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

"Everything Was Different" by Madison P.



There were faces that had been beaten, hands that had undergone much work on the family farm, and children sitting on dirty streets; all staring straight at us. Everything was different.
I didn’t know exactly what to expect or what I had even gotten myself into. All I knew was that I was with my mom and sister and a team of people all with the same pit of nervousness in our stomach, but with the same goal. To build six playgrounds for kids to enjoy in six different areas, to let them know they are loved and worthy, and to bring hope. Filling the first two days we stepped foot on those grassy yet polluted hills, was worry and disbelief that the things set out before us were quite impossible.
Our home for the next eight days would be on the left side of a rocky dirt path with a turquoise rod-iron gate that had to be manually opened and closed. The house, more so called a “compound” in their country, contained a kitchen with one small table in the center and no chairs, three bedrooms with bunk beds in them, some beds cushioned only by a piece of wood and others a thin mattress that a pea could be felt through. These were my conditions for the next eight days, although they were few I was expectant for the greatness I would still experience during my stay.
The early morning was filled with tired eyes, but hungry stomachs and a kitchen filled with shy but smiling woman eager to make us a meal that we would enjoy. After the meal was consumed we set out in an old school bus, driven by a man with the largest heart, that we got to know as the week went on, to a lot the size of a 12x12 room. It was filled with jumbled playground pieces. We started rummaging through the pieces gathering the metals rods and swings to transport them to the six different areas of work to bring kids utter happiness.
The days went on, and though it got easier, the trust that things were going to be possible diminished. My team of fifteen people stood on rocky, uneven ground and this was where we were supposed to build hope for kids when we ourselves lacked all of it. We picked up shovels to even out the ground, yet stopped soon after the reality hit that this was going to take longer to even out the ground then we would have in this country. We dropped to our knees and did the only thing we knew we could in this moment, prayed. Prayed that the only person who could do the impossible would do it. Just as the words “Amen” left our lips, a bulldozer came down a hill and told us, “Go back to your compound for some lunch and when you come back this will be done”. That moment was not a coincidence in any way but a raw miracle.
After the foundation was established the playgrounds began sprouting up like new bulbs planted in rich soil. Kids stood staring in amazement and their eyes filled with joy that they were going to be able to play on this structure. The last day there, my team stood on solid ground of a brand new playground ready to dedicate it to this little community that would get to experience laughs and good memories on it for years to come. Tears filled the eyes of everyone as the ribbon was cut and glasses clanged together at the hope that was built.
Back home in the states the conditions of how I lived in my own home became a blessing, I had continual water supply that I didn’t have to pump from a well. I had a thick mattress to sleep on and air conditioner for 107 degree weather. The miracles I had witnessed in eight days continued to surpass my wildest imaginations and I thanked God for the opportunity to spend eight days in a Porta Prince, Haiti. My way of thinking was different, my way of living, my way of hoping, trusting, and believing. Everything was different.

12 comments:

Justin Le said...

I like the use of imagery you used to describe the place around you and that in a time of need of a miracle, one should pray because you never know what could happen. Going through an experience like going to Haiti will change ones perspective of the world we live in. Haiti is probably as you described it through your blog and for us to be living in a place so great, we should not take it to granted.

Anonymous said...

Very good story! It really makes the reader think about how in America we have all these unnecessary things while others have barely anything to get by. I really enjoyed your story!
-Daniel Alaniz
Period 4

Unknown said...

Madison, I absolutely loved this piece. Your usage of imagery made me feel as if I was following you on this journey as well. I especially liked that you ended the piece by comparing the conditions in Haiti with those in the US and how you acknowledged the difficulties that other people go through. Great piece over all, great job!

Anonymous said...

Amazing story! Really captures faith, miracles and the unwavering factor of human kindness. Great imagery I can understand the struggle being endured by the people in Porta Prince.I enjoyed the last paragraph when you reflected on how lucky and grateful you are and came to the realization that your life is now changed spiritually and mentally after that opportunity.
-Milani Thomas

Sophia Rivas said...

Madi you are such a beautiful person! I think your experience will teach everyone to be grateful for all that they have and to help everyone that may not be so lucky.

Unknown said...

Madi! I sincerely enjoyed your personal reflection! You are an amazing human being for carrying this project out with your team. This reflection will for sure inspire others to be grateful for what they have and to one day carry out a project similar to this one. Once again great job!

Unknown said...

This is a great reflection. The way in which you described such a difficult task being able to be completed can turn even the utmost doubters into believers. It is people like you that make the world go round. Good job fam!!

Anonymous said...

This was great! My favorite part by far was when you guys prayed and then the bulldozer came. That showed that you can be touched by the grace of God anywhere! I am also impressed by the fact that you actually went out there and helped out those kids. That is absolutely AMAZING!
Nehemiah Barnett
Period 4

Anonymous said...

Madi Cordura
P.1

Madi this touched my heart. I always hear you talk about your trip to Haiti changed your life, and every time I hear talk about it warms my heart. I admire you! This piece only makes me love you so much more; didn't think that was even possible! My favorite part is when you wrote that you lost hope, but you prayed and the bulldozer came. Miracles really do happen. You are an amazing writer Madi this is beautiful !!

Unknown said...

"Wow", was my first thought after reading this, the piece has such a powerful message and really took me off guard. I loved the illustrative language used to describe the house and the beds. The great details used gave you a strong sense of how us as 1st world country citizens have a lush life and we should be grateful for what we have. I really enjoyed how this piece was written.

Unknown said...

Madi I loved this it was so great! I remember you telling me about how you went to Haiti! This really made me realize that us people here in America have it a lot better then we think. I loved the use of imagery as well on how you explained the rooms and the beds and the smile on other peoples faces. Great job Madi this piece was amazing!

Unknown said...

What a touching story! The use of details and a positive connotation, even during the possible crisis of not being able to build the park, touched me. The unquestionable faith and the desire to help others was a great way to draw the reader in. Keep up the great work.