Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

"The Time I Almost Set a World Record" by Jason G



            So, around this time last year, I had done something that science has deemed “too dangerous to attempt and too difficult to prove.” Many currently reading this probably will not allow themselves to believe my story; but I know the truth….
            We begin in the fall of 2013. Students at Etiwanda High School are nearing the final month of the first semester and can hardly wait for winter break. Both hard and hardly working juniors and seniors were exceptionally eager to escape the hullabaloo of the public school system and immerse themselves in full holiday spirit. Christmas, Hanukah, and Kwanzaa were within the students’ sights, and to equally match the excitement brought about by holiday conventions were the majestic mountains of school work. Is it just me or do the amount of essays, projects, and exams seem to increase every single time we near a major holiday? I swear this happens all the time! Call me crazy, but I don’t enjoy spending my holidays working, especially if the work interferes with the time I set aside for family.
            Anyway, I had never received the gift of time management, so I needed all the time I could use. I was a procrastinating sloth whenever it came to matters of school and unfortunately, this year would prove to be no different. I had just finished a tedious World History project and thought I was in the clear. Midway through my sigh of relief (really it was more of a yawn), a friend, who had the same classes as me, gave a warning message about the impending pile of work my teachers were about to assign.
            I think that’s how it started. It began with me working to complete these assignments and only sleeping four to five hours a night. Then it progressed to three to four hours, then two to three, then hour long power naps. Finally I began a life-altering journey. One which has given me a new found love for my mattress and pillows. 
            I don’t have insomnia nor have I ever been diagnosed with FFI, I was just really busy. To be honest, the first two weeks I went without sleep were hardly noticeable, as I had spent the majority of my sophomore year going nights without sleep, but not nearly for as long as I had currently been doing. Weeks three and four went by rather seamless also. Again, to me it was normal. I thought nothing of it at the time because I was incredibly preoccupied with school, work and sports. I began to write logs of how I was feeling, both mentally and physically, just in case.
The final twelve days began to kill me, literally. I couldn’t run in soccer anymore, I was coughing up blood and vomiting during the fitness portions of practice. This sleep deprivation also led to me gaining 10 pounds which really helped reach my “peak fitness” for sports. During football, I couldn’t find a way to manage the flow of my own drool. I must have looked insane in full football attire with a lost look in my eye and saliva pouring from the side of my mouth. My concentration and focus were entirely absent in the classroom. Nose bleeds and severe chest pains were a common thing now. In my own work outs, I’d nearly pass out when preparing to tie my Nike’s. When bending over to reach the lace of my shoe, my entire body would topple over. It would take my 30 minutes to physically put my clothes on because of my, now, defeated motor skills. I couldn’t even remember simplest tasks at my job. For some reason my muscles were always sore and my skin was turning a nasty shade of yellow and my face became increasingly pale. No sleep also led to my immune system started to suck, so I got sick more often. I believe I missed one or two full weeks of school because I was ill. My grades would never fully recover. After the fifth week, the sun rise seemed to lose its charm and beauty. Each time I watched it come up, I grew bitter and hateful because it ment that there was a new day to be dealt with. All of these things fueled my anxiety and depression.
Happiness seemed remote, and it was my fault. Perhaps inconformity and even recklessness was in the design of this zeitgeist. The only things providing me with a minimal amount of comfort were the music plugged into my brain every night (usually Hans Zimmer) along with the wisdom and philosophies of vlogger Ze Frank. I must have replayed “An Invocation for Beginnings” at least a thousand times.
 Both my parents and co-workers thought I was heavily using some type of drug, but I knew better. I actually ruptured and re- ruptured veins in both eyeballs. That was the nastiest part of it all. The mirror showed demon eyes and I was disgusted with myself. I’m just thankful that they popped on a Friday, that way, I had the whole weekend to heal them up before showing my face again on Monday. If my eyes hadn’t healed yet, I walked around campus with my head down and avoided conversation at all cost. I was ashamed. They’re actually still somewhat bloodshot and glossy, even to this day.
“Why am I doing this to myself? This isn’t fun at all. I’m smarter than this” I thought, “at least I hope I am.”
Finals had come and gone and I finally went home to sleep for the first time in 40 days. I decided to do some research on world records. The official record for consecutive hours without sleep is around 264. I shattered that mark threefold. To my dismay, some photographer in Los Angeles claims he holds the record with 968 hours as of 2010. Guinness won’t recognize him because the stunt must be documented but is too risky to be proven. Either way, I’m just happy I got some sleep.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

The explicit imagery made me feel as if I could see everything going on and feel it as if it were happening to me. For being an account of a true story, I was in shock because I thought it was going to be a happy experience but then it just hits you hard. I live for that kind of shock factor, but good for you that you finally got some sleep.
Jacob Valdez
Period 4

Anonymous said...

Jason, your story has me in shock. I literally feel conflicted because my head is telling me that there is no way that this really happened but at the same time, the way you described the situation, the imagery you used, it had to be real. I'm stumped, but a good kind of stumped. Thank you for the mystery.
Leasia Spicer
Period 4

E said...

Oh my heck!! I am surprised at your story! You described it so well that it made me feel sick inside imagining if all the symptoms you described happened to me. I like how you shared the gradual change in thought that you had as you continued depriving yourself from sleep. Your story was awesome, though I not quite sure I believe it.
Eva Badal
Per.1

E said...

Oh my heck!! I am surprised at your story! You described it so well that it made me feel sick inside imagining if all the symptoms you described happened to me. I like how you shared the gradual change in thought that you had as you continued depriving yourself from sleep. Your story was awesome, though I not quite sure I believe it.
Eva Badal
Per.1

Anonymous said...

Wow I really enjoyed the imagery in this story. I just can't imagine not going without sleep for so long but this piece made the possibility as clear as a picture. I really enjoyed this piece.
-Pierce Bryant

Anonymous said...

Wow I really enjoyed the imagery in this story. I just can't imagine not going without sleep for so long but this piece made the possibility as clear as a picture. I really enjoyed this piece.
-Pierce Bryant

Unknown said...

I really like the comedic effect you put on this which made the vivid description of your writing become an even greater image in my mind. Amazing job!

Unknown said...

This story was pretty hilarious to read, minus the blood, vomit and saliva. You provided absolutely incredible imagery, and completely delivered in the personality aspect. I still find myself reading this over and over again. and yet I'm still trying to figure out whether this was true or not. Also, congrats for the correct use of the word literally! I've noticed people getting a little antsy about that lately.
I think we've all found ourselves in the all-nighter situation, and at least in the case of myself, it's gone on for multiple days. However, it's actually quite terrifying hearing and thinking this all may be an actual side affect. *shiver*
I also want to give my thanks for such an amazing writing! I'm really glad I clicked your link.
Congrats on an amazing piece! :)
Jeanna Lee

Unknown said...

I cannot believe that you went that long without sleeping, I get angry when I do not get ten hours of sleep each night lol. The use of imagery supports your story so well that I cannot help but believe it to be true. Good Job!

Charles Purcell said...

This is an excellent report on the emotional and physical terrorism that is schoolwork. We are all victims of educational shell shock. Your word selection is humorous, and the areas of exaggeration accurately show the pain. In an unusual piece of complementation, I gotta say that your title for this story is great. No idea what it is specifically, but it's immediately attention-grabbing. And Kwanzaa recognition is always a plus. Hopefully a lawsuit towards that photographer will make you feel better.

Anonymous said...

The descriptive detail and imagery is unreal. No pun intended. I can also relate because I am also a procrastinator. I also agree that projects and essays start to mount up while nearing breaks. this story was very interesting and impressive story.
-Jesse Jauregui

Madison P. period 4 said...

Like you said, it is hard to believe. I am in shock that you would have that amount of perseverance to continue losing hours and even days of sleep. The quality of imagery that you used was amazing. It made me feel like my face was turning yellow and my eyeballs were about to rupture. I enjoyed the structure of your piece and very much so the story. Great job Jason, now go to sleep for a year!

Miranda Santos said...

Period 4
I really enjoyed reading your first person account of your experience and am shocked that you could go so long without sleep. The descriptions given of your thoughts as to how you regarded your situation and imagery used to describe the effects it had on you allowed me to understand what happened and convinced me what happened was true, as unlikely as it seems. I also like how the tone at the start of the story is easygoing but towards the middle it starts to become more serious and gets more in depth. Overall I really enjoyed this entry.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your story, the wide array of vocabulary and extreme detail had given me the feeling as if i was there observing the whole ordeal occur in front of me in a matter of minutes.
Gabriel Borrego
Period 4

Unknown said...

Thuy Cao
Period 1
Its funny, because I was inconceivable captured by disbelief reading this but eventually drawn back having read the initial statement, "Many currently reading this probably will not allow themselves to believe my story; but I know the truth…." You wrote this for yourself ultimately, and I enjoy knowing that. Besides that, obvious compliments to this piece would be your excellent use of detail, diction and humor to enunciate the emotions you had endured. But something I really must point out was the change in pace within the last paragraph- specifically the last statement. You go from describing this intense trial of sorts, explicitly describing the stages of it, and both the physical and mental deterioration, to just stoically expressing the final relief of having regaining some rest. For me, that was the most impacting portion- because it says a lot more than just the end. Great job.

Erick A. Vazquez said...

This was a very shocking personal story i just read. The title provoked me into thinking this was going to be a proud and happy kind of personal story, yet little did I know that your story was one of disappointment. I truly enjoyed your hook when you left me thinking, " what truth can he be talking about " This line of , " but I know the truth…. " is the line that got me to read the story from start to end. I was very interested throughout the whole personal story, Not once was I bored. You did a very well job in the use of imagery to display your struggle that you had throughout those forty days without sleep. Thank you for sharing this personal story of yours.

Anonymous said...

This piece was well written. I enjoyed the use of humorous diction, it captured my interest from beginning to the end. The imagery used was amazing the amount of detail was great and helped intensify the importance of the issue described. As a student-athlete myself I totally get your situation. Therefore your writing was personally intriguing and made me question the actual amount of sleep I get. All in all, terrific work!
-Merosa Uiagalelei
Per.5

Anonymous said...

Madi Cordura
P. 1 10/12/14

Jason, you are an amazing writer! I love your vocabulary and the imagery that you incorporate. My favorite image that you allowed me to create in my brain is the majestic mountains of school work that we get around the holidays. I also really love this piece, by the way. I love how you made this relatable to us all. I definitely know I relate to this because my studying ends up turning into power naps as well!

Just a side note, I'm glad that you are healthy and sleeping well now!

Mika Ocampo said...

What I found really interesting about your story was how the lack of sleep affected you mentally. I think it would've been really interesting if you had included excerpts of your logs.

Unknown said...

Wow! So much self conflict and realism. The imagery was very clear and it allowed me to feel all the emotions displayed. I too felt the characters self conflict with sleep and the stresses of being a student. Your piece was greatly detailed and I think some students may or can relate to it. The ending was great and quite humorous to me. Good job.
-Katheryn Valle P.4

Unknown said...

When you told Mica and I that you went that long without any sleep I did not believe you, but I after I have read in full detail of the situation and the use of imagery you used about your body's state without any sleep I still have a hard time believing that you stayed awake for that long. The imagery though convinced me a little more that you attempted to stay awake long because I could imagine your eyes completely red in the piece so Good Job.

Anonymous said...

The way you described your various ailments and how you kept going without sleep is something i can really relate to. The stress and pressure you feel from school and those around you can cause you to do things you thought you would never think you could do. Overall your diction especially the comedic effect you give in the beginning makes your story even more intriguing. You could not have written this piece any better
-Isaiah Johnson
Per. 1