Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

"Pregnant Women are Smug" by Marian Hollinquest


(Author’s note: This is based on the song “Pregnant Women and Smug” performed by
Garfunkel and Oates)
     I sat in the garden in the backyard of one of my acquaintance’s home. It was blanketed
with a beautiful, bright green, pseudo-looking lawn of grass. The perimeter of the house was
fostered by an army of long pots, planted with the most surrealistic daisies you would have ever
seen. I am sitting alone at the table on the slightly dirtied plastic lawn chair at her baby shower.
Most of these women I have never even seen before, and I don’t care much to talk to them. I’ve
known her for years, she was one of my closest friends at one point, but time went on, she just
annoys me to the, James Hunter’s “Breaking Point”. Instead of just sitting out here alone like
Lennie, I made my way over to talk to the bell of the ball. I delayed over by the side, waiting for
her friends to move over; their faces resembled tomatoes, red and round, gushing about the
women as if she were a puppy, showering her with gifts and advice as their cankles danced
gracefully around the strap of their heels. They eventually cleared the way, making my once
close friend accessible to me. Not sure of what to converse about, I haphazardly began it about
the baby.

“So, what do you want the baby to be?” She smiled sweetly at me. I think I already
know the answer. “Oh, it doesn’t matter, as long as it’s healthy.” Wow, really? Because it’s not
like those two things are related at all. I mean, it’s not like one or the other! I cannot contain
myself for the day that a mother says ‘I don’t care if it is braindead, limbless, and-‘ God Forbid,
‘has a penis.’ I swear to high heaven you only speak in clichés now. This little world you are
enjoying is making you really annoying. I bid her goodbye, as I could not take any more of her
B.S. The loneliness acquainted with being alone at a party for moms has not eluded me like any
child the mother forces to go. I soon found the patience to speak with another women, who
also happened to be expecting. Not the great converser I am, I ask about the baby once again,
“Is it a boy or a girl?”
“Oh we know, but we’re not telling.” She coyly answered.
“What are you going to name it?”
“Oh we know, but we’re not telling.” I raise my brow.
“Whose the father?”
“Oh we know, but we are not telling.”
B***,  I really don’t care. I don’t know if you noticed, but I
was only being polite, because now you have no life. Don’t these women see? I am only twenty-five
and they are supposed to be too! The holy and bloody affliction between my legs still
remains consistent, though I do miss more periods than William Faulkner (and I admit that this
joke was not of my own), and I see no celebration for that, do I?! I may go to the bar once in a
while, and tell a man ‘Hey bae, I get more metaphysical than f**** John Donne.’, but I do not
throw myself into matrimony and curse myself for my upcoming middle-aged years. I wish I
could regress back to my younger years, when I could go to church and not have to get more
confessional that Sylvia Plath, but what’s done is done, and at least I am not as done as these
girls. These women may be giving birth, but it does not give them the right to refer to
themselves as ‘mother earth’. As I retake my seat, I can proudly say:
Pregnant women are smug.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh this piece is perfection in less than a thousand words. I'm in love. Not only is the vocabulary verbose and florid, but the facetious tone resonated in me down to my very bones. It's witty, and riddled with literary and theatrical references that make the well-read let out a chuckle or two. I have no idea how you can up with the idea to write this, but it's absolutely brilliant and hysterical. The dynamic between women of the same age who are choosing different paths in life is an important discussion that needs to be brought to the table, and it's nice to see it from the point of view of someone who is choosing to be more self-dependent than "settle"-dependent. Not to mention, the "holy and bloody affliction" and "has a penis" remarks were one-of-a-kind golden. I have no criticism other than I wish it were longer. But alas, the constraints of the assignment. Congratulations on a finely written & appealing piece.

Chloë Miller, Period 5 c/o 2015

Anonymous said...

I don't know what it is, but you've got it. I really love how you tie in so many allusions to the text, and give the narrator this really sassy sort of attitude, it's just great. The very sarcastic thoughts are really engaging and keep the reader interested, and the characterization you give these characters is just phenomenal. Great job.
Jacob Valdez
Period 4

Unknown said...

I am in love with your work! It is truly great how you perceived the definition of women in a nutshell. However, not just women, but men, children, and all types of societies. You defined how the world goes round in a story that is emphasized more as a satirical piece of writing making it all the more worth while to read. Because in all honesty we are all victims and found guilty of being judged and judging other people simply by the choices they and we make. I genuinely enjoyed reading this story and am still questioning how you came up with the plot! Truly amazing and I am still chuckling on the references you have made throughtout the piece.
-Cynthia Alcala
Per. 5

Unknown said...

I don't know exactly what it is, but something about this story gets me every time! It could be the well placed satire, the hilarious dialogue and allusions, or the descriptive and scholarly wording. I love your sometimes subtle sometimes not references to things such as William Faulkner and Sylvia Plath, it really adds to the effect of the already humorous words. This story really does speak volumes about society, how people can sometimes get so caught up in what they think or what they want to do that they can force their whole life to go by them without ever really taking the time to live. Great Job!

Fernando Mauri said...

Marian,
This column demonstrates your comedic ability, and your use of sensory detail, particularly in the first bit of the anecdote, gives life to the scene. Your use of allusion is ingenious (especially Plath!!! Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!). I highly suggest you consider writing as a career because as I read this, I felt as if I was reading a column from a newspaper. Well done!

Aiseosa Ibude said...

I loved this. It really does portray a woman whose twenty-five and all of the people around her are pregnant. I love the use of diction and imagery. I want to say that this piece is satirical, because it fits it perfectly. Beautiful job!

Charles Purcell said...

Ha! Nice usage of the much overlooked word ‘cankles.’ Truly, that is a word that gets discarded in literature too often. I also think it’s amazing that you’ve referenced Garfunkel and Oates. I thought I was the only one in that specific loop! Anyway. The internal thoughts in this story are spectacular, and I’m certain that most people will be able to relate to them. After all, who was it who said that pregnant woman are the scourge of society? Hemingway? Thatcher? Said dialogue is what drives this piece, and that is fittingly on point. Applause.
Per. 5

Charles Purcell said...

Ha! Nice usage of the much overlooked word ‘cankles.’ Truly, that is a word that gets discarded in literature too often. I also think it’s amazing that you’ve referenced Garfunkel and Oates. I thought I was the only one in that specific loop! Anyway. The internal thoughts in this story are spectacular, and I’m certain that most people will be able to relate to them. After all, who was it who said that pregnant woman are the scourge of society? Hemingway? Thatcher? Said dialogue is what drives this piece, and that is fittingly on point. Applause.
Per. 5

Unknown said...

that was a sudden surprise ! I really enjoyed that story , what happened to the friend ? She left her for dead in the forest ? I thought that was creative, its very descriptive I felt as if I was there it .

kemi A.

Unknown said...

oh that was different, I kind of thought she was jealous of her friends moving on with there lives but she was still stuck in this part of life that will be soon passing her, either way I liked it and can some what agree.

kemi A
period 5

Anonymous said...

Merosa Uiagalelei
Per.5
Wow this piece is amazing! The wide variety of vocabulary exemplified the high description and detail of the matter described. Your writing really brought to light a many realistic common thoughts people have but are tend not to share a loud about pregnant women . I also thought your piece was very clever and well structured. All in all, my interest was sealed throughout the entire poem due to your terrific work!

Unknown said...

Margaret Moyer
Per 5
This piece is funny in it's own way but at the same it can sound bitter. I enjoy reading the point of view of a women who can't understand why these women would give up the best years of there lives to have a baby and then act all smug about it. This piece also connects really well with people who know the references being used. The first point of view with the diction of the harsher language really make this angry women come to life.