Pages

Monday, September 28, 2015

"Out, Damned Spot" by Jairus P


One of the many worldly traditions that has seemingly transcended time and space is the same day in which everyone has the open opportunity to dress as they like. You walk around and notice the myriad of guises a person wears to conceal an identity, all to get away from the lifestyle they’ve built for themselves, one day each year. The competitively intelligent girl hands in her books for that little black dress and pig tail braids to mimic Morticia’s daughter. The overtly post-adolescent idealist gives up his garb to mock a religious custom on his self-aggrandizing carriage dragged by a horse of lies, all on a pilgrimage to hide his vile intentions. The two lovers fashion a gimmick in the costumes they’ve created, only spelling out cultural appropriation. Ah, yes, Halloween has given each of us an opportunity to give up a lifestyle in exchange for another, a mask that can hide us from all kinds of evil. But at what cost?
            It’s safe to say that all teenagers dread the prospect of high school, but what many of us don’t know that it’s the playing ground of all kinds of costumes. We walk around and pass each other during passing period, intentionally ignoring the masks of the people we accidentally bump into or shove when the traffic rate becomes slower than your average Millennial. No tricks and no treats. Don’t believe me? We all do it and don’t think that you haven’t made one yourself.
            I, myself, change my masks during all parts of the day. One particular time in which I have to put on a guise is when I take notice of a person I always want to confront and let out this anger, this belligerent part of myself that I try to suppress every chance I get. I know in my bones that I want to throw my hurt at their face, that I want to show them the scars left on my heart. Every chance I see them, I have the constant proclivity to think that they need to repent for what they did to my aching soul and the only way, it seems, is to show them my bare self and the constantly healing cuts left on my skin. But, we’ve been molded to believe that confrontation is a mere synonymous term for indecency.
What society underestimates about me, though, is that I’m not afraid of indecency – no, no, no.  I’m afraid of breaking down in a pithy attempt to let go of myself, of this angst. It’s not worth it…It’s never worth it. That’s what we’re all thinking when we see that person, right? The one person that gets under your skin, the one that’s bewitched your mind to believe that they’re worth your time, even after they’ve hurt your soul. It’s never worth it to lose yourself to show someone the jarring effects that was birthed from the seeds of anger and hurt created by that one person…One damn person. So, what do we do to not exercise our First Amendment right? What do we do to compromise our freedom to say what we feel and want?
Disguises and costumes and masks, oh my!
If you still don’t believe me, look back on your high school career and tally the number of times you’ve had to walk onto campus with a front. That word has the exact same meaning as that clean and overly used word, façade, if you didn’t know. Whatever term you put on a “covering for all or part of the face to conceal one’s identity,” you must know at this point that all roads, all terms lead back to a mask.
Let’s see, for all you nonbelievers – take a look at the pictures with all your friends. You’ve seen them use the mask in action. Every time you know they’re going through some kind of tribulation, they still come to school with the intent to show everyone, especially their dear best friend (you in this situation) that they’re “alright” or just “having a bad day.” We all have those friends, that’s how it always starts: with a mask. We don’t really know who these people are until we’ve given them the courage to take off that mask, to give them trust and validation. And at the moment, at that very moment, it is when a friendship is truly conceived: when we openly decide to share the burdens of what lies beneath the mask and the price it takes to put one on. What better binds a friendship together than loyalty and truth?
But, that in itself is essentially a paradox. Who do we trust with all these masks? If you let that front down, will the other person do the same? Don’t oversynthesize and just think: who can we trust and who can we tell? Our society has left us in a cesspool of deceit, to constantly tell ourselves that we need to put a mask on, to hide what we feel and what we say. You probably won’t even put the one you’re wearing down to accept the fact that what you’re reading is true. The tough jock can’t show any sign of himself that is considered, at the least bit, feminine without being called “faggot.” The girl can’t go around with short shorts or a tank top in the heat of day without being called “slut” or even a woman who shows some accentuated muscle can’t go out without being called a “dyke.” Our society, which is comprised of all of us, all of you, has pushed our own kind to wear a mask…Has pushed you to wear a mask. Halloween doesn’t just come once a year – it is a constant holiday that has settled in our bones. Every day you wake up, you open your closet to find a collection of those masks you collect each and every year. In truth, we’re slowly normalizing this custom to only ignore the fact that the pound of flesh we must pay for this is a debt that no one can repay: our own humanity.
Yes, there is always that bit of good that is shown to the world, the source that comes with the old age adage “There is good in every person, everyone.” But that’s the thing with beauty – it’s a curse on the world that keeps us from seeing who the real monsters are and which of the innocent cower in true fear, one that knows our nightmares and instills our own Halloween each and every day of the year.

31 comments:

Samar Elshekh said...

Jairus, gosh your personality, your beautiful qualities of fearlessness, and self-respect always show up in every action you choose to do. One, I love the comparison of our masks to the one day it is accepted and praised for, Halloween. You revealed a societal flaw that many choose to be ignorant about, and that is my favorite aspect of your piece. Two, your vocabulary and diction show the actor and master of the mask in you, as i was reading I literally felt as if I was watching a play, or a documentary, and three, the way you revealed these flaws, was like someone taking off a blindfold, as they really look at the world, especially a world in high school.
- Samar Elshekh P.3

Anonymous said...

Your sentences are beautifully structured, with fantastic vocabulary and wording. I am in awe over this piece and how well you did on explaining this subject of society. I definitely think this is a piece that not only I can relate to, but that everyone as a person can relate to. You address that we all have problems, we all become corrupt because of society, and that we are society. You create this imagery of those who are bullied, shamed for the things they are, the people they want to be. Your speaking about a subject that most people don't want to tackle, and you relate it back to yourself. Wonderfully done. It is absolutely something people need to be aware of, and that we all need to realize we do all of these things. You did a wonderful, fantastic job, creating an image of the real society we live in with your fantastic vocabulary and well structured sentences.

Unknown said...

Jairus, this was an amazing piece that showed the real you. This covered a topic that no one would ever think about until someone put it in their face. I enjoyed how you compared our everyday masks to Halloween, sometimes I can be a closed minded person and I will be ignorant to the fact that I don't put on a mask (which is not true after reading your piece because I do put on a mask). Your use of diction uncovers your mask by showing how intelligent you are. This piece automatically made me think of how you think everyone deserves rights, which is why you made the Feminist club at school. This piece is you, not only because you said "Disguises and costumes and masks, oh my!" and I thought of it as you actually saying it but because you covered a topic that people would usually not cover. When I think of Jairus I think of a person who does things not everyone else does. You did an amazing job Jairus and I hope you continue to write more!
-Miren Cancio Per. 5

Unknown said...

This piece has been extremely well thought out. You can just feel your passions seeping through every word. It's so obvious to tell how much you truly believing in this - and yourself. It's not only refreshing but extremely encouraging! Not to mention how talented of a writer you are! You're truly gifted your sentences run together seamlessly! Outstanding piece Jairus, you still don't fail to amaze me!! Miss you :-)

Deborah Fraire said...

I loved your extensive usage of high vocabulary throughout your piece. It made the whole piece more compelling and it gave it a serious tone. I liked how you compared a person's true feelings to a mask. I found that to be a interesting and unique comparison. Your piece was brilliantly written and was also very intriguing. Well done.
- Deborah Fraire
Period 1

Anonymous said...

I am simply speechless! You describe society to a T, we all wear masks I have to admit. Just the way you make me vision it with your words just makes me want to keep re-reading this!! I cannot put into words how amazingly written this! All I can say is you have me in awe.
-Destynee Torres Period 4

Unknown said...

Your writing weighs heavy enough to leave an impact on its readers. I talk about the problems you mentioned all the time but your vocabulary and voice adds intensity to how I know view life in high school. I have never ever been even decent at hiding how I feel. I see everyone have this ability to put up the facade you talked about and before I felt like it was something I needed to work on having. Being the extremely sensitive and emotionally open person that I am, I accepted a while ago that I don't care to put on a front because it isn't genuine. Now i feel more confident that I don't have to play dress up just because other people do.

I was able to relate your writing to my friendships and it was heartwarming to look back on how much my best friend and I have grown throughout high school. We didn't always know even half the things we know about each now. This year we have both been able to be truer individuals because we know each other so well and love each other still after seeing more of the other person emotionally.

Michelle Sanchez said...

I bet almost everyone took a while to reflect on what you wrote about. It was such a great piece that brought up some interesting points about society and the role we play. The way you posed rhetorical questions and utilized diction and syntax not to mention imagery made this piece of writing all the better! I could tell there was a lot of thought put into this by the way the beginning tied with the ending and everything in between had a smooth flow that kept me intrigued. Definitely a piece that makes you question and think. Wonderful Job!
P.5 MS Mrs.C

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Jairus, I love this piece. Everyone wears a mask, whether they know it or not. The way that society makes us feel pushes us to wear these masks. Its sad how very few people are themselves nowadays. I have a variety of masks, myself. For a lot of high school kids, they only show their true selves to best friends, if that. I also love the part where you talk about how everyday is Halloween and I agree 100%!
-Emily French
Period 5

Anonymous said...

Jairus,
This piece was truly amazing. You've shown the confidence to say what we all know is true but hate to admit. I love your unapologetic and honest tone, and your comparison with Halloween and this constant mask-wearing is something I never would have thought of but i think it's completely brilliant. I think your writing was executed flawlessly and your piece was thought-provoking and you reflect in a way most of us are too scared to do, Great job, I really loved this piece.
-Aubrianne Milton
Period 5

Hanna Brookshier said...

... I had to take a few minutes to let this settle on me and think over it. You just brought up a point that most people in society tend to neglect because we don't want to admit to the truth of it. I never want to admit it. And i must say, the way you make your words flows through the whole piece entices and draws me into it.

Unknown said...

Your essay is the exact kind of writing and awareness and realization that I look for in myself, in society, and even at school. From the title itself, you had me hooked with your story because I remember Cogswell mentioning that poem in class and the title fits so well wit what you're talking about. The quotations, anecdotes, and incredible verbiage kept me enthralled throughout the entire thing. I think in a way, it would very well apply to one of the UC prompts too and the colleges would be falling all over themselves reading and re-reading your essay because of the immense truth behind it that no one wants to come forward and admit because these are the kinds of essays that cause societal change and everyone knows, the majority of the populous is adverse to change.

Anonymous said...

First off, Jairus you're such an a amazing and talented writer! This piece is so compelling and hauntingly true. It says so much about you and how much of a wonderful person you are by speaking out about this subject that seems to be often kept in the dark. The points you made are so accurate, its really sad that society has made these expectations that wont let boys be feminine or let girls own their sexuality and as a result they do have to put on a "mask". Being yourself shouldn't be taboo, you shouldn't have to hide. Your piece was absolutely beautifully written and I loved it!
-Abby Elvis
Period 3

Anonymous said...

Jairus! I love the comparison between the mask we wear on Halloween to the mask that we wear in our daily lives. I agree with what you said about when a friendship is truly conceived. Sure, we have our school friends that we see throughout the day, but our real friends, they're the friends that take off our masks and help carry the burden and lift us up into happiness. I do also agree that as a society, we do create these mask that we have to live by without truly expressing who we are as individuals. This was an absolutely fantastic read because I feel as if every person will relate to it in one way for another.

Joseph Joshua Jacinto
Period 5

Hungry Craving said...

This was very, very, enjoyable to read (I might have even read it more than a couple times). I love the way you never left your own voice throughout the piece and how you managed to captivate the audience with some allusions that spark some humor and even some undeniable sass without being too informal. Every single word and sentence was an embodiment of your true self (it would be ironic otherwise). Also, great use of extensive vocabulary!! It really helps set the stage for a credible speaker with a serious topic in mind. All in all, great job! If you ever decide to write a book or something I'd be ecstatic to read it! :)

Zoe Wong
Period 2

Hungry Craving said...

This was very, very, enjoyable to read (I might have even read it more than a couple times). I love the way you never left your own voice throughout the piece and how you managed to captivate the audience with some allusions that spark some humor and even some undeniable sass without being too informal. Every single word and sentence was an embodiment of your true self (it would be ironic otherwise). Also, great use of extensive vocabulary!! It really helps set the stage for a credible speaker with a serious topic in mind. All in all, great job! If you ever decide to write a book or something I'd be ecstatic to read it! :)

Zoe Wong
Period 2

Unknown said...

The man in the mask, waiting to truly reveal who he is in society. The voice was never truly yours, in that it represented so much more than one human being. An extensive vocabulary, allusions to create a sense of humor, and almost a sense of irony captivates the reader into this amazing work of art. Awesome job!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit. At first I got a little lost because I believed that at first I believed that you were talking about how controversial Halloween is because in reality it is supposed to be a day where the kids can go out and eat candy and people can insult others by physically wearing everyday stereotypes. But then, it took a complete turn - essentially becoming ironic to me; but that is exactly what I love about it. You truly captivated me into this piece and I could not respect it more because I already do SO much. You used such sophisticated vocabulary and such a vast amount of detailing and adjectives that sincerely made me tear up. You expressed this controversial issue with such powerful emotion - YOUR emotion - and I believe that is the most beautiful thing. Keep up the great work Jairus; I loved it!

Lilibeth Martinez
Period 3

Unknown said...

as always, your social criticisms are enlightening jairus!
i loved how you were able to tie in the concept of Halloween to our self conscious society so seamlessly.
your extensive vocabulary and descriptive language really adds an entirely new dimension to your writing, and by using rhetorical questions it really upped the relativity to the audience's life.
your allusion to the wizard of oz also did a great job of helping you satirize society as a whole to point out our own irrational fears.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jairus, you simply amaze me, whether it's through your writing or through your everyday trials to help others be true to who they are. I loved your allusion to the Wizard of Oz! I also enjoyed how you incorporate Halloween into your story, giving that Halloween is my favorite holiday because of the aspect of being someone different for a day, and of course the candy! I found your piece to be both academic and relatable, giving a perfect description of the mask and fake persona we all have worn in high school. Jairus please keep writing and sharing your pieces, I admit that I will read it again and also share it with others! Love you always!

Miranda Hidalgo
Period.5

Anonymous said...

Jairus,
I sincerely wonder where you got the inspiration to write such a powerful piece. Whatever it may be, it must be divine, because your technique is marvellously flawless. It would be an understatement to call this a social criticism, because it's more of a complete analysis of human behaviour, as far as dressing and facades go. I'm sure many aspire to ever reach your level of vocabulary, including myself, because it's so daringly appropriate. Excellence is all I can conclude with, in reality.
Eloy Guzman
Per. 2

Anonymous said...

Jairus you are incredible! This was one of the most beautifully truthful pieces of writing I've ever read. The way you used Halloween to contrast with the mask we put on everyday was brilliant and you really made me think about having to put up a "front" when walking into school. I love the details you used to explain how strongly we hold onto our masks and feel the desperate need to put them on everyday and how there is only one day a year for us to walk around wearing them out in the open. This was true art.
Period 2

Unknown said...

Jairus, your ability to make everything true to yourself never fails to amaze me. I really (really, really, really) loved reading this and I especially enjoyed hearing your unwavering voice throughout it. I thought it was really clever how to chose to incorporate Halloween (since it's just around the corner) in the piece and then proceeded to connect it to your views about people, society, and even yourself. Your vocabulary was also brilliantly sophisticated and the allusions that you incorporated were really nice additions to your writing. To top it all off, the piece was also unbelievably relatable too! You did a wonderful job!

Fiona Cheung
Period 3

Adrian Modesty Pd. 4 said...

I have to say, Very well put together!!!
You clearly expressed yourself and the "segregation" of lifestyles in school with this piece.
You were able to pull in the upcoming holiday into it too.
Keep up the good work!!!!

Unknown said...

our piece is really amazing! I really love how you used Halloween in it;I kind of that forgot that was coming up, but I read your story and now I cant wait for it

Zya Woody
Period 4
cogswell

Unknown said...

Jairus, you never stop amazing me. From the moment I met you I always knew you were a very intelligent person that I would be lucky to know. You always have the best insight on all topics. And this one is maybe your best work yet. These masks are a real thing that I think all of us have used at one point or another. I know I have. It's hard to truly be yourself unless you feel completely comfortable with the people around you. Great Writing. I can't wait to read something else of yours later on.

Unknown said...

Wow, that was simply fantastic! This was a very well written piece and had pushed to one of my top reads as of right now. I admire the connection between this holiday and its customs with the societal distraught in our everyday lives. This piece could very well fit as an excellent narrative to a motivational video about the disaster of society. There are different levels of emotion portrayed all throughout the writing and it is obvious these are emotions experienced before. You're a strong person and it is truly amazing how you can speak about the unspeakable, think about the unthinkable, and do the undoable. Once again, thank you for such an impacting piece! Stellar job, Jairus!

Alexis Carmona said...

Oh my goodness Jarius! PREACH! This was extremely well written and you always have this poise that shines through in your writing. Your topic is so true and I loved how you implemented Halloween in a completely different way. Amazing job!
- Alexis Carmona
Period 5

Unknown said...

I honestly couldn't stop reading. Your word choice and overall attitude throughout this piece was astoundingly similar to something I would read on a real blog. The metaphor you used followed you through the entire piece, and at the end it all came together in what ended up being an extremely relatable issue that you adapted to life. And through your symbols and unique writing style it turned out very convincing.

Unknown said...

I honestly couldn't stop reading. Your word choice and overall attitude throughout this piece was astoundingly similar to something I would read on a real blog. The metaphor you used followed you through the entire piece, and at the end it all came together in what ended up being an extremely relatable issue that you adapted to life. And through your symbols and unique writing style it turned out very convincing.

elton said...

This piece was truly amazing. You've shown the confidence to say what we all know is true but hate to admit.