Pages

Monday, September 28, 2015

"Of Late, I Think of Paradise" by Jairus P


The days of our birth are usual signs of something more than a society-given reason to praise ourselves and boost our ego, in hopes of denying the fact that we are one step closer towards death. The days of our birth are also signs that ultimately give us a reason to look back on who we’ve become and how we’ve gotten there, with a few old adages to help accentuate those reasons. One that I’ve become familiar with, you might ask?
Death is a promise made at birth.
Our primal proclivity is to usually avoid anything that has to do with death, reminding ourselves that anything can alleviate the major baggage that comes with the idea of losing our carbon-filled suits. One way is to usually immerse ourselves in our memories. Ah, memories. They say that our lives are comprised of the memories that we make along the way – I beg to differ. I’ve come to grips with understanding that our lives are a collective unit made up of experiences, and while the terms memories and experiences can be used interchangeably and might even be considered quite synonymous, I’ve convalesced from one experience – a defining one, an enlightening one.
Our perspective shifts from this morbid, blasé introduction to my junior year – the crux, more specifically. Sleepless nights, makeshift worn-out outfits, a broken heart, the usual high school starter pack that kind of makes you think you’re on some descent into madness. To give you a better idea of what it was like, think of it as me jumping out of the frying pan and into the inferno. I mean, on top of all the limits and equations I had to keep up with, understanding points of perspective, trying to get all of the history of the United States in my head (down to the last American-induced eradication of a culture) and the functions of all the body parts while thriving on my Muse of theatre, I openly decided to direct a play.
Now, up until that point, I always thought my life was going to be sustained by the notion that I had everything at my fingertips. I was ambitious. I was fruitful. I knew I was always destined for greatness. For lack of a better term, I was complacent and I mistook disenchantment for truth. But one thing Death can always count on to help burn those dreams and that mentality are the fires of adversity.
Fast forward to the rehearsal process, April of 2015: the venue of my play moved from the multi-useless room to E-12, a 35 page play with a myriad of single-spaced lines and monologues needed to be off-book in a span of 4 weeks, and rehearsals lasted until three hours after school. I think you’ve come to the understanding that I had to undertake these issues, which I did, but being a director of a play, that has a great deal of sentimental value and sweat, makes it that much lonelier. The misconception that many people acquiesce into believing is that a perfect play is always made up of a perfect rehearsal process, a perfect ensemble, a perfect director – all in which are truly false. While the actors have each other, a director is always alone and must withstand the fires of adversity aforementioned.
Now, what the hell are these “fires”? Every rehearsal, I dreaded because I knew I would somehow cry and breakdown. Every issue or backstage problem, I hated because I was always alone in the decision making, not knowing if the choice I made was right for me or for the entirety of the play. Every actor… That was one aspect I did not expect I would undertake. That facet of directing is one that I always have in the back of my mind: Never, under any circumstance, cast your friends, especially the ones closest to your heart. It’s all rooted in this ideal that they might not be able to amount to the expectation you have for them to match the character complexities in your play.
There was one rehearsal where I started shouting at them, at my own friends, who did not get off-book, even though I gave them a direct date in which they had to memorize a certain scene by. I gave them that Jessica Lange monologue, wiped away a few tears, and tried to get back on my feet by shouting at them a little more. I learned at that point that I was unapproachable to my actors, that they were afraid of me to ask of anything, that they were afraid that I would either melt down or end up shouting some more. I always tried to justify all of this behavior with the idea that I casted my pearls before swine, that I continually was doing the best for me, but, when in reality, I don’t know if I did.
There was another rehearsal where the lead was quite ill and said she “couldn’t go on with the show tonight.” The humane side of my brain wanted to say, “Oh, go ahead and take a sick day,” but the director side of my brain had to say, “You say you want to be an actress. You say you want to be a freaking actress and you’re going to tell me that you’re ill and can’t do the show? What happens when you have an audition, a show, anything that can define your life and your career, but you end up sick? You’re going to just not show up for that audition?” I pulled her aside during sixth period and told her the latter, ending it with, “We’re going through with the show.” I don’t think anyone realizes how heartbreaking it is to have to tell your own friend to compromise their health for a mere play, comparing it to a real world situation that could happen to any actor. I don’t think anyone realizes how excruciatingly painful it is to tell your friend that their health is ancillary to a high school play. When the bell rang, too, she said, with a raspy voice and a tint of resentment, “It’s your play.” But I did it and at that point, I felt like I had no humanity left in me anymore.
I was depressed. I mean, I’ve always suffered bouts of depression, trying to deny it somehow; some points of my life understood that my depression was sometimes dormant, but this time, the sadness and regret rose out and dominated my life, my mind. A routine I became fond of was coming home after every rehearsal, closing the door, and sliding down to the floor, crying and letting out my frustration, entering existential crises and questioning who I was, pondering if my dreams were even worth anything.
But, like all the cliché motivational high school movies, like [Insert inspirational football movie here], I sought refuge within two people. The first is Christian Kiley. I feel like I need to give recognition to a man that contends the dreams of his own students as well as champion the concept of survival. Through every burning decision, I was able to go to him and ask for wisdom, ask for comfort. It wasn’t long before I had the opportunity to fortify a bond that I will always treasure in my heart, a bond that I always hope will stand the impediments of Time, Man, and Life.
The second is one I will always and forever hold close to my heart. I choose not to disclose who the person is, but I hope to give Her as much credit as She deserves. I faced so much distress, unmitigated trepidation. Every day was like going out into the world, having been undressed and stripped bare by the seismic suffering I experienced, having your emotions for the entire world to see. It wasn’t long before She helped me out of the cesspool of self-abasement I was in, the same cesspool I tried to claw my way out of with trying to remind myself of who I was, even though I didn’t really know. She taught me that we’re constantly ever-changing, that while things seem futile, everything is temporary. High school is temporary. All the trials and tribulation we face are all temporary. From that point on, I’ve learned that I never felt more understood than in that moment, I wanna be like Her and be a positive light in people’s eyes.
From this experience, I say to you, reader who chose to continue a personal narrative that shouldn’t exceed a chapter in your local Honors Economics textbook, that you are continually deserving of all your efforts and dreams. You are worth it, worth every ounce of life and love and hope you breathe into yourself and your dreams. Whatever you’re facing, whatever it is that makes you regret living that moment in your life, remember that, when juxtaposed to the grand scheme of things, everything is irrefutably temporary and will change for the better – if you choose to. Never, ever, under any circumstances, regret anything you choose to do because the biggest enemy we can fashion is ourselves – believing any fallacies like this will ultimately lead a life of resentment. If this, if this is caused by friends that make you think wrongly about yourself, they certainly aren’t your friends; surround yourself with people that make you happy, that make your life better and remind you that your dreams are deserving. Go back to this story if you need to until that sinks in. And if you find yourself reverting back to wherever it is that you consider a dark place, remember that, again, everything is and always will be temporary.
Maybe, our lives aren’t comprised of just experiences. Maybe, they encompass a great deal of experiences and memories that make us who we are, that push us to live our lives. Remember, dear reader, that while Death takes from us, it also gives. It hands to us idioms and adages that help us realize our full potential, our meaning of life, which is an inadvertent gift. We all take that gift for granted and before you know it, that gift might be gone. Whatever dream you have, don’t believe that Death has fashioned fires of adversity to burn them, because in reality, those dreams might be burned, but in no way will they ever be murdered.
xx
 



20 comments:

Unknown said...

Jairus, this essay is just amazing. You showed me a whole new perspective of "masks". I realize that many people do have a hidden element to them that they keep hidden behind a mask. A hidden element that ranges from pretending to be okay when in reality you are not and a personality characteristic that no one has ever known or seen before etc.. Jairus, you have dreams that you can achieve and that are worth it! You are beyond capable of making it happen! You are someone who will not give up! Through your essay, I was able to see your inner deep thoughts and how it impacted you or how it made you think. I even learned that even the most toughest people who have a strong will like you wear masks also. I really do love this essay and thank you so much for sharing your personal story to us!

Brianna Barajas said...

I am infatuated with this story. This story is phenomenal. I love how you send a message to those who are reading. Also, I am very relatable to this story because there has been corruptions throughout my life that has only led me depression. The part that made me visualize a whole knew perspective of life is when you said, "...if you find yourself reverting back to wherever it is that you consider a dark place, remember that, again, everything is and always will be temporary." According to what I have read, you are right. The reason you are right because everything is temporary. I saw the story and said, "It's too long." In my opinion, reading this late at night, was worth every moment. Thank you. Great job.
-Brianna B.
Period 4

Hungry Craving said...

After I had commented on "Out, Damn Spot" and saw this, I HAD to read it. I was not disappointed. The emotions conveyed in this were so raw and heartfelt and honest that it struck a chord within me. Again, amazing work with phrasing, word choice, and allusions. Loving the sass and humor still ;P Thank you, for sharing something as personal as this and for allowing others such as myself to be inspired from it.

Zoe Wong
Period 2

Hungry Craving said...

After I had commented on "Out, Damn Spot" and saw this, I HAD to read it. I was not disappointed. The emotions conveyed in this were so raw and heartfelt and honest that it struck a chord within me. Again, amazing work with phrasing, word choice, and allusions. Loving the sass and humor still ;P Thank you, for sharing something as personal as this and for allowing others such as myself to be inspired from it.

Zoe Wong
Period 2

Unknown said...

Everytime you speak and now write im so mesmerized by the way you think. You bring light to new ways of interpreting things and make a whole new world come to life. Im glad that you have overcome your past struggles and are getting through the ones you have now. Not everyone has someone to confide to and you were blessed with two! Im so happy you have two wonderful people to be at your side when in need. You are truly inspiring. xx

Unknown said...

First and foremost, I want to thank you for speaking of a time in your life of internal struggle for as easy as some may perceive it is not as all. The raw emotion in expressing your own feelings at that time, truly tugs at readers hearts. You completely express the heart-wrenching details that you had undergone, but you have learned so much from this time. I hope that everyone can take note of what you've done and look back on their own days of hardship with reflection. Jairus, you're an amazing individual and as we are all human, you may face more saddening times ahead, but I know you can overcome it. You can divide and conquer over all. Do not ever forget that. You have made it to this point in your life and have shown to the world and yourself how so very strong you are. I adore this narrative so very much and encourage others to share their own stories as well as you do!
-Amber xx
Period 2

Samantha Quintanilla said...

"death is a promise made at birth" I love this quote by you! i love the way you discussed the topic of birth and death, it was really spot on and i also really appreciated the fact that you opened up to us about drama classes and your directing. The vocab your used and the style was very comfortable for the reader and also showed that you are very comfortable within your own abilities when it comes to writing. Overall i really loved this piece!

Unknown said...

I really love this writing!!! It was very useful towards others that want to make a movie,,excellent job

Unknown said...

I absolutely adore this story. I loved your shift in perspective, your amazing diction and allusions, and that you gave insight to not only the utter crap that is depression but also to the ability to deal with it. Incredibly well done.

Unknown said...

Jairus i've known you since middle school but I feel like I just got to know you in a little more deeper way. This is a perfect essay that depicts the raw truth! Bravo!

Alexa Ayala
Period:2

Rachel Kroll said...

I was so excited to see your name on the September blog posts because I read your comments on other writers' posts and if your feedback is that phenomenal then your original work must be just as good, if not ten times better, right? Well, yup, very right indeed. This piece was very descriptive of emotions and just all around well written. I was amazed by all of the vocabulary that you incorporated into describing your thoughts, actions, etc.

It takes a lot of courage to share feelings that are generally considered "vulnerable" by society, so congratulations to you for allowing your personal reflection to be so personal and expressive of some serious emotions and difficult experiences and choices.
The last two paragraphs of your submission really got to my emotional side (aka I teared up), which says a lot because not many things can do that for me. I think the lesson/moral you learned from your directing experience is one that many others, including myself, struggle to understand because it's not uncommon for people to get all hung up over their failures. Although you didn't specifically talk about failures, your piece of advice reminded me slightly of this quote, "Failure is an event, not a person..." mostly due to the whole "live happily and ambitiously with no regrets because you are worth it!" tone.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! I don't even know what to say. Writing a personal narrative does not seem like something that is very easy, but you managed to do effortlessly. EVERY paragraph, EVERY sentence, EVERY word, EVERY line was constructed in a way that led me to be able to get a glimpse into your life and your emotions. Thank you for not being afraid to share your feelings on a situation that was rough for you. Especially when you mentioned depression because it is a real thing. I truly love the last line when you state "but in no way will they ever be murdered." I've never thought of it like that and it was an eye-opener. Lastly, all the emotions that you created were so intricately woven into your essay that at times I felt like I was right there with you. Thanks for one of the GREATEST most profound stories ever.
Kayla Weathers
period 5

Anonymous said...

Jairus...I'm crying. I'm seriously crying, after reading this. I can't say anything other than thank you. Your piece is very empowering, and it encompasses the unspoken, oft ignored everyday struggles that we, as confused teenagers, go through in our journeys towards our ambitions and aspirations. Thank you, Jairus, for helping us fight our battles against our inner demons.

Anonymous said...

Jairus, this was truly an amazing piece that you’ve written. This was such a great piece that it truly did inspire me. This piece demonstrated your true feelings and I personally loved how you referenced Jessica Lange because she is such a great actress. Anyway, your use of high level vocabulary (I’m pretty sure I saw these on the SAT) and tone added to the narrative, making it more unique. I liked how this piece seemed easy for you to write, but I bet it was probably hard to write about it because you had to grasp the courage to open up to many people about this experience. I truly hope you can find that dream and achieve it.

Kimberly Chua
Period 2

Unknown said...

Trying to find the words to fit my thoughts as I write this comment once again is surprisingly difficult because wow; I am truly impressed. The imagery you used to describe yourself in these situations, especially as you fell to the oor once you got home, really made me feel a relative tension that you too felt. I remember discussing your play with you last year and you'd tell me you were stressed and frustrated but I would have never imagined the entire process to be so complex and draining. I am so glad I had the oppurtunity to read this and have a clearer perspective as to what it is you're passionate about. Your language surpassed my expectations and really intrigued me to continue reading. I loved the way you connected with your readers and were able to give such a strong and meaningful message to many out there that really need those reminders! Overall I think you did an outstanding job and encourage you to continue striving for your dreams because I know you are one hundred percent, fully capable of achieving them.

DanelleAngeline said...

Jairus,
Honestly, this piece blew my mind. Your vernacular and syntax is everything I can only hope to achieve in my life as a writer. Your ability to move your audience so strategically with such vivid and original imagery, such as "jumping out of the frying pan and into the inferno", is astounding. The messages you've packed in this are relatable on all levels. Death, always such a touchy subject, is touched upon as an extremely effective segway into your own personal narrative. The hardships you've faced, the strive for perfection, you quite impressively transport your audience into your shoes. Thank you so much for this, for addressing your readers who you know face such struggles to recognize that they're all worth it. This piece was amazing, you're amazing.
Danelle Baronia
Period 2

Unknown said...

However morbid this was, its so accurate that its almost motivating. Just like all your other pieces, your use of such underestimated metaphors and diction brings together every aspect of this work of art. Because really thats what it is. In my opinion you should write a blog, even if your statements are opinionated or bias, everything you say has this perspective that is so believable and convincing. You truly are an author. Great job on both pieces, which I read in entirety.

Unknown said...

However morbid this was, its so accurate that its almost motivating. Just like all your other pieces, your use of such underestimated metaphors and diction brings together every aspect of this work of art. Because really thats what it is. In my opinion you should write a blog, even if your statements are opinionated or bias, everything you say has this perspective that is so believable and convincing. You truly are an author. Great job on both pieces, which I read in entirety.

try said...

The diction that you use is mesmerizing. I honestly couldnt keep my eyes off this story. The way you make such morbid things seem so beautiful is enchanting to say the least. You should write more pieces! I loved it.

Unknown said...

I saw this as a recommended entry for someone else's piece, and although I know you most likely won't ever come to revisit it, I must say that I'm glad to finally read your writing, when you read so much of mine a couple of years ago.