Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

"Nigerian Puff Puff Recipe" by Seyi A.

 

Hi everyone!! Today I will be sharing with you a recipe that is very dear to my family and my fellow Nigerian brothers and sisters. Many of you know Nigerians like myself and should know that a huge part of our culture is the food. So, when I was thinking of what food to share, I wanted to make sure that I chose one that wouldn’t be too hard or risky for everyone to make. I knew if I shared something like jollof rice or pounded yam and stew, things would get sort of complicated and there would be many great first outcomes. This is okay because I still mess up a lot when it comes to Nigerian dishes. But then I thought of puff puff and was like this is perfect! Puff puff is a sweet snack that is very popular in Nigeria and in the region of West Africa. If you were to go to Nigeria, you would see street vendors selling puff puffs everywhere. The outside texture is similar to a donut hole and has a soft and airy texture on the inside. There are so many ways you can put add-ins and toppings, like powdered sugar and chocolate, to make it your own.

For as long as I can remember, my mom would make puff puff on the weekends for my sisters and I and we would all gather around to watch a Nigerian movie and spend time together. Usually, especially around Christmas time, we would be going to parties and puff puff would be a big hit for everyone to enjoy. We would catch up with people we hadn’t seen all year, or in many years, dancing to afrobeats, eating savory food, and enjoying everyone’s company. Sadly, as everyone knows, this year has changed the picture for everything. But, even if we can’t party together, you can still spend quality time with your family and loved ones by trying out this puff puff recipe and having a mini movie night or party of your own!!! I got the original recipe from 9jafoodie.com, which is a website that has so many Nigerian recipes to choose from and many of them are easy to learn so if you want to check it out I would highly recommend it!!! I’ve done this specific recipe many times and it is very beginner friendly so let’s get into it!

Nigerian Puff Puff Recipe

(original recipe from 9jafoodie.com)

Prep time: 50 mins

Cook time: 15 mins

Total time: 1 hour 5 mins

Ingredients:

 

     3 cups flour (375 grams)

     4 teaspoons quick rise yeast

     The quick rise yeast I recommend is Fleischmann’s RapidRise Instant Yeast, this helps the dough have great quality and rise faster

 

     2/3 – 1 cup sugar (133 -201 grams)

     The amount of sugar is honestly up to how sweet you would like the puff puff to be

     1/2 tsp nutmeg

     This is to add flavor and spice; it makes a difference in the overall taste

     2 cups lukewarm water

     The water being lukewarm helps make the dough rise

     Frying oil

     Any oil works but I recommend canola or vegetable oil

Tools:

 

     A large mixing bowl

     Measuring cup

     Measuring cups

     Measuring spoons

     A large pot

     A whisk and/or spoon

Instructions:


1.   In a mixing bowl, thoroughly combine all the dry ingredients.

 

a.   We add the dry ingredients first so that the dough rises properly

2.   Then, slowly add in the water while mixing. Stop as soon as the water is incorporated and the batter is smooth.

a.   Tip:The batter should be thick and smooth with a couple of bubbles

 

3.   Cover the mixture with a table cloth. Set aside in a warm place for 45-60 minutes

a.   Tip:Don’t leave your dough to rest for more than 60 minutes when you use quick rise yeast. If you set the batter in a warm place, it should only take about 45 minutes to rise.

 

4.   Set a large pot on medium heat, add in the oil, and heat until hot.

a.   Tip:I recommend not putting the heat higher than medium because you risk over frying the puff puffs.

 

5.   Scoop enough mix with your hand and drop the ball in oil. Repeat until the pan of oil is full. Fry until golden brown on all sides.

 

a.   Tip:If you want you can use an ice cream scoop or spoon if you don’t want to use your hands. Also, don’t put too many scoops in the oil, or else they will together and won’t fry properly. Lastly, don’t let the puff puffs get too brown, or else they will get too dark once they cool down.

And then you’re done!! I really hope you guys enjoy and remember you can put your own twists to it as well! Stay safe out there and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! <3


 

28 comments:

Zhenwei Gao said...

Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe! They look so good! Though I am definitely not skilled in cooking, I will 100% try this out. These puff puffs would be perfect as snacks and desserts! I think I will pair these with vanilla ice cream as well. They sound too good already! -- Zhenwei Gao

Anonymous said...

I love this so much! As a Kenyan myself, I relate to this so much. I also miss the sense of interaction that I would have with my family, around the dinner table. Likewise, the food of our culture is what brings us together. I loved your introduction as to why you picked this specific recipe because it makes it more personal. This recipe looks so amazing and I love how detailed you were in your explanation. The tips after certain directions really helped clear up any misunderstandings, so once I make it, I will hopefully find success. Thank you for this! I will definitely be making this one day.

madelyn mejia said...

Oh my goodness I didn't even need to see the picture to know these would be good lol. I've never heard of these so I was very interested to read your mini intro/background on them. Your directions were very clear and easy to follow that I will definitely be trying to make these sometime and hopefully I can do them some justice :)!

Brianna Musa said...

I love puff-puff so much and my mom and I would make it on the weekends too!! I also loved and the way you introduced this recipe, well done.

Richelle Mendoza said...

Wow those look so good! I really want to try them out! The total time to make them is fairly quick compared to other desserts! I will absolutely try these with the powdered sugar and chocolate drizzle!

William James Smith III said...

William James Smith III: I always like to learn about more interesting foods to eat! Personally, I love the taste of cream puffs, as like most other tasty things, they have sugar and fat LOL! It seems that we all have something in common, whether you are American, Nigerian, Russian, etc, you probably will like foods that are easy to eat, crisp on the outside, and creamy on the inside! Can't go wrong with that! LOL!!!

Great Job!
William

Raymund Lillo said...

I've never heard of these before and now I for sure need to try these out. The directions don't seem too hard so hopefully I can recreate the example in the photo. Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

This looks and sounds absolutely delicious!!! The instructions we're very clear and I loved how you included your family, culture, and Christmas fun into your blog!! I will definitely have to try to make these! Well done! - Samantha Galarza

Michaiah Stanford said...

Thank you for sharing such a simple cultural dish and I never knew that food was so important to Nigerian culture. I will definitely be trying to make this delicious puff puff with my family and friends soon!

Charmaine Luciano said...

I loved reading your personal story about why puff puff is so special to you! The name puff puff sounds so cute and intriguing haha. I'm very interested in trying different cultural food and this recipe sounds so easy to make. I can already imagine myself eating a whole bunch of puff puffs!

Nguyen Ho said...

I'M SO GOING TO TRY THIS OUT!! i have sweet tooth and i been looking for recipes for snack to munch on as i stay up late doing homework! thank you

Elyana Steih said...

Seyi, these look and sound delicious! As a dessert enthusiast, I will definitely try these out ! Thank you for sharing !

Emily Folkner said...

These look sooooo delicious! Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe, I cannot wait to try it out! Well Done!

Kristiana Ortiz said...

This was so interesting to read! I love the personal details you added in your introduction paragraph, they really grabbed my attention. I also like how you included helpful tips for anyone trying the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE reading about recipes from a variety of cultures!!! These look absolutely delicious and I will definitely be trying this out and sharing with my family. Can't wait!!! -Kaitlin Dalisay

Angelina Martinez said...

Ooo I'm definitely going to have to try this! I loved how you implemented details in why this dish is special to you along with a little story behind the food itself. Thank you for sharing!

Chloe Pacle said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe! It looks and sounds very delicious. I will definitely be trying to make this dish at home! :)

Alyssa Rivas said...

I love that you are sharing a part of your culture with us and I will definitely need to try making this for my family!

Abigail said...

I live in a Nigerian household so we have this way more then we care to admit. I love this recipe and I have never made mine with nutmeg but I'll try that next time I cook it which wont be too far from now. Thank you for this recipe!! -Abigail Babatunde

Sharleen Nunez said...

WOW, these look amazing. I absolutely love dessert ITS SO YUMMY. I'll definitely give this a try, thank you so much for sharing this with us!!!

Katelyn Orellana said...

These look so good like I would love to make these, thank you for sharing this recipe :)

Brandon Ochoa said...

These look so delicious, I cannot wait to try them. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe because I love making treats/desserts and have been on the scope looking for new cooking and baking endeavors. Its also very interesting to see the similarities in foods between cultures.

Chloe Pacle said...

This sounds so delicious! I’m looking forward to trying these myself. Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Seyi, these look SO good. I have always wanted to try different types of African foods to get more aquainted with my ancesrty, but I have yet to do so and I am definitely trying this first! I love that you chose to share something on the easier side to make so that people like me who cannot cook won't have a difficult time. I will definitely be chacking out that website too! - Savannah Fitz

Kayla Macasinag said...

I’ve never heard about Nigerian Puff Puffs but after reading your recipe they sound absolutely amazing! I would love to try these sometimes! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Unknown said...

OOOOo Those puff puffs look so good. I have never tried anything like this. I am trying to get into cooking more. I will try to make these with my mom. Thank you for sharing with us. -Amorette Correa

Anonymous said...

this looks so good!!!! Oh my gosh I want to try it so bad it looks yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe - Marwa Jamily

Neema Muteti said...

These look amazing! My family's from Kenya and we eat something kind of similar called mandazi. If this is anything like that then I got to try it.