Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

"Forever and Always" by Lydia B

 

It was August 11, 2020, a day that will be etched in my mind forever. I heard my mother cry out, "Aunt Bertha fell!" I rushed down the stairs to find my 85-year-old aunt had fallen backward as she came up the stairs to bed.

 

Earlier that day, we had the funeral services for my grandfather, who died from prostate cancer. He was my special handshake buddy and friend. He was a deacon at our church, even-tempered, and respected. When he died, it put a hole in my heart. I felt broken and alone because out of everyone in my family, he always knew that I would do something great in life. I still remember the last words he told me: "You are beautiful." Before his death, He gave me a leadership charge to take care of my Aunt Bertha. I did not know what my role would be as a 17-year-old, but he knew anyone could positively influence someone's life.

 

After the fall, my aunt was diagnosed with Alzheimer's stage 6 out of 7. She was a special education teacher for fifty-two years, my uncle died in 2018, and they had no children. How did I miss this change in her behavior? I noticed she asked repetitive questions, "Did you go to school today? What college are you going to attend? Have you completed your applications?" I later found out that this is part of the disease and a way for her to engage in conversation to make sense of the world. I often wonder if she has always been diagnosed with it over if it was just something that just came up over the years. Usually, I have to help her because my parents and my sister have work, so I took it upon myself to make sure that I gave her what she needed. Even though sometimes she doesn't listen and forgets to walk with her walker. It didn't matter if I was mad, sad, or exhausted from school. I always made sure to put her first. I can't help but sometimes cry when she is not looking because she and my grandfather look so identical.

 

Since then, our bond has become closer, and I have learned to lead through this real-world experience. I have learned to talk with her and overlook the repetitive questions. My aunt looks for me to help her change her clothes at night, get her medication in the morning, and bath. I have learned that a quiet, gentle tone gets her to respond to any task. For example, she may question my mother regarding medication, but I give her water with a straw, play calming music, and she complies. This experience has taught me that a good leader can control a potentially chaotic situation by seeking to understand and then find a way to empower others. My grandfather gave me the charge to lead, and I learned that to lead is to serve others.

 

Forever and Always is what I have decided to name my story, and now I share this story with you. I have never really spoken about this, nor have I told anyone what I was feeling. Yes, I am sad, it hurts because I've lost someone I admired and looked up to since I was born, but I think of this event positively because I've decided to continue the legacy that my grandfather has shaped. My family vowed to do the best that we can to lift my aunt's spirits since her brother's death. I have learned to keep my head up high and not let all the sad things stop me from reaching my goals. Even though this is a sad moment, I have found a way to see the positive side. My grandfather is in a better place now, and I know that he is watching my every step. It's

cycle that never ends, my grandfather watches over me, and I watch over my aunt. The first part of the title says, "Forever," meaning that I will forever be a descendant of my aunt and grandfather, two critical people in my life. The second part is "Always" because no matter what happens, I will always provide her with the love and support that she needs until it is my aunt's time.

13 comments:

Kailee Mark said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I really love how you showed the way your relationship with your aunt evolved and grew even stronger. Your writing immersed me in every scene, and I think the mature, yet emotional tone you used makes it even more powerful. I really admire your optimism, even in tough situations. Amazing work. :)

Isaac Ilano said...

First off, I would like to send my condolences and prayers to you and your family, sorry for your loss. And second, I'm glad to see that you took the leadership role of helping your aunt during the time where she wasn't physically and mentally able to take care of herself anymore, and I hope that the experience you gained from it you can help others in the same way and even those who aren't able to take care of themselves

Hailey M Hillstock said...

This is so sweet and meaningful. I can tell how much both your aunt, uncle, and grandfather mean to you. The scariest part about getting older is becoming more aware of situations, but it's also the best. I think it shows us how beautiful life is, and reminds us to live everyday to the fullest. You will now get to carry on this story with you forever, and get to share the best of their lives for generations to come.

paulina jimenez said...

Oh my Lydia, I would have never imagined this considering you are always so happy and full of joy. To start off, I am so beyond sorry for your loss. I hope you know your sweet uncle watches down on you and your lovely Auntie. You did a perfect job with the formatting and details. Thank you so much for sharing such a hard experience with us.

Oluwaseyi Alli said...

Lydia thank you so much for sharing this I am so so sorry for your dear loss. I would have never knwon you were going through something like this but I am so glad you have taken this experience so positively. Your grandpa really did know what he was saying when he wanted you to take care of our Aunt and it's amazing how you've stepped up to that role for your Auntie and Grandpa. <3
-Seyi Alli

Enrico Del Rosario said...

Lydieo...I've known you for years, but never have I truly met you until now. All I have ever seen and heard from you are optimistic smiles and hysterical quips, but nothing as vulnerable, raw, and emotional as this (not us crying at summer camp-). I want to thank you for being there for your family; not a lot of the younger generations even blink when their elders come into question. I found myself in a similar situation on June 4, 2020 when my Lolo (grandfather) passed away. My Lola has been in a terrible depression and has begun to forget things. I want to thank you for reminding me that I'm not, nor will I ever be alone. Thank you dance partner <3

Kiyah Brown said...

This is such a heartfelt story, I think that you are such a strong and sweet person to have taken that caretaker role in your family. I´m sure your optimism and leadership is greatly appreciated, and these traits and memories you hold will be fondly looked back upon in the future. The legacy you, your grandfather, and your aunt leave will be remembered forever.

Unknown said...

Lydia thank you for sharing your story, I am so sorry for your loss. I really felt your emotions while reading this. Absolutely incredible. - Gisselle Flores

Joelle Lock said...

I love the reasoning behind your title, and your description makes your entire piece seem so much more personal and heartfelt. You are so, so strong for adopting a positive outlook in the midst of sadness and loss, and even stronger for continuing to care for your aunt in such a selfless way. You should be so proud of your strength and love for your family; I definitely admire it!

Janelle De Dios said...

Your kindness and strength really shine in this writing piece. Reading about how you became a caretaker and the bond you formed with your aunt was really sweet. I'm sorry for your loss, and I wish the best for you and your family. Your ability to move forward in life with love and optimism is admirable!

Anonymous said...

Wow. As someone who has lost a lot of close family in recent years, to be able to see and look up to your endurance through these unprecedented events is truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing, your strength means a lot for those of us going through any sort of these times. Condolences for you and your family, your strength does not go unnoticed.
-Evan Nguyen (P1)

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry for your loss. You did a great job bringing your emotions into the reading. It felt like I was going through it too. Thank you for sharing this. -Muskaan Sandhu

Anonymous said...

Lydia I am so sorry for your loss. This must've been so hard for you to write about. Thank you so much for sharing you experience I understand how much it hurts to lose people that mean so much to you. - Marwa Jamily