Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

"Christmas Tradition ~ Lost Forever or Soon to be Revamped?" Bonus Poem By Kayla M

 Christmas Tradition ~ Lost Forever or Soon to be Revamped?

Bonus! (Not for grade)

Eleven months has passed

 

December is now here

 

Wow, time went fast

 

Now it’s my favorite time of year

 

December holds two things close to my heart

 

The day I was born eighteen years ago

 

Thankful for my mom who started my character arc

 

And a certain holiday that is associated with snow

 

Every year, our decorations are put up in late November My little sister and I team up decorating our tree

My dad hangs up the lights, which at night they glow like ember

 

My mom wraps presents, for family and friends soon to be filled with glee

 

This team we’ve created as a family

 

Has made tradition that we do

 

For our favorite holiday annually

 

For the Christmas that holds us like glue

 

Our traditions consist of after final decorating we go to Church, celebrating the birth of Christ Later going home to eat our feast

With food that is probably overpriced

 

Soon going to bed, soon our gifts of tomorrow will be released

 

Overall, the traditions we continue

 

Is what helps me keep on living

 

Each of us showing our tribute

 

To “The gift that keeps on giving.”

 

Our Christmas Practices happen every year

 

But one thing comes to mind

 

Will these things we hold dear,

 

Be forever be left behind

 

I am now what you call coming of age

 

Turned eighteen on the thirteenth of December

 

My is life is turning to a new page

 

Will we have time to be together?

 

I’m now laying in awake on the night of Christmas eve


Now worried what the Future will hold

 

Will my parents and baby sister continue traditions without me?

 

Or will they leave them out in the cold?

 

The more I think, the more worried I get

 

My family depends on each other all the time

 

My sister and I work together like we are singing a duet

 

While my parents are aging, their backs not allowing them to climb for lights that mimic the sunshine

 

What would we do without the complete group?

 

To keep our spirits up and prevent from falling so soon

 

With me leaving the nest, losing a member of our troop

 

Will traditions be gone, like letting go of a balloon?

 

Next Morning, being woken up by my sister

 

Her screams of joy put a smile on my face

 

Running down the stairs, hoping she doesn’t end up with a blister

 

She soon arrives to the tree, with me in tow, close to our fireplace

 

My parents are smiling, finally happy that we are awake

 

Both telling my sister, “Look what Santa left for you.”

 

They looked at me winking, indicating this secret a keepsake

 

Also giving me a present in wrapping paper of a nice hue

 

Seeing their gaze of determination to keep their annual traditions living Made me wonder, Why was I worrying in the first place?

Seeing all this joyfulness in the air thriving

 

Put happiness upon my face

 

Knowing the bond we all created

 

Is what Christmas is about

 

As we are solely motivated

 

By spending time with each other, with a bond that’ll cause us to never back out

 

These traditions shows our teamwork

 

Making us happy as we can be

 

Now drinking hot coco, admiring our artwork

 

Along with sitting watching holiday shows near our Christmas tree.

13 comments:

William James Smith III said...

William James Smith III: Excellent job writing a poem about such an unknown thing that may seem obvious to us, but it truly is not! Christmas spirit always will be different in different households depending on the personal belief and religion of the household. Not everyone will celebrate Christmas religiously, but the same morals of family, friends, and selflessness always apply in one way or another.

It is uncertain as to how and when the holidays will be as they once were, but they will get better soon enough! We all miss our friends and family very much, and we will appreciate the holidays so much more than ever before now as a result of this obstacle!!!

I hope you have had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

William

Jaeden Alo said...

Really well written piece! I enjoyed reading the entire thing! It was like a children's Christmas book, but for adults/teens. It gave a deeper meaning with worrying about the future and having to let go of the things that make us happy when it is time for us to grow up and live life. But traditions like yours made me realize traditions can always continue, and the memories are never forgotten.

Isaiah Garza said...

Very good piece. I like how you started cheerful with classic Christmas and winter imagery and then transitioned to a worried tone. I am sure, however, that the Christmas traditions of your family will not die out and that you will only come back to celebrate with them again! Great job

Cenia Ruiz said...

Loved this piece! it was really well written . Your family traditions are so beautiful and they will certainly stay around forever!

Eniifeoluwa Oluwadara said...

Very high level write. It was very unique how you contrasted christmas joy and happiness and rapidly factored into sadness and a different emotional element. This was great and highlighted the importance of memories.

Amy said...

Really good job! Loved it , it put me in the Christmas spirit again hahah. The winter imagery was great and I enjoyed reading you poem!

Eniifeoluwa Oluwadara said...

Excellent work. It was a delight to see the contrast in emotions from old style christmas transistions to a sad somber emotional writing tactic. Great Essay.

Caitlyn Jane Basa said...

Really Great Job! Your family traditions are beautiful. You gave so many emotions and meshed them together very well. Thank you for creating this!

Unknown said...

This is written so beautifully, you have so much power with your words! I could imagine everything so clearly. -Leah Thompson

Anonymous said...

It was very nice to read a poem revolving around such a joyous holiday and the fear that the joy might end with your departure. I'm certainly glad nothing changed in the end!

Anonymous said...

This was absolutely amazing ad your rhyming made the poem even more interesting. It captured me as the reader and enticed me to continue reading it. This was a very emotional and touching poem amazing job. -Arnold Porter Jr

Lauren Perez said...

I really loved the way you portrayed your emotions through this. I loved how this made me feel involved just by the way you used your words

Neema Muteti said...

I really enjoyed reading this and hearing about your family traditions. Great work!
- Neema Muteti