Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2019

“Immigration” By Kiyla N



It was the 10th of May, 2014 ironically Mother’s Day in Mexico. My dad, grandma, siblings and I were getting prepared because my grandma, siblings and I were going to get on the bus to have a 3 day travel to Tijuana from our little town in Mexico called Zacualpan, Nayarit. It was a day we had been preparing for 1 year, we were finally going to go to the U.S. to be able to have better studies and a better economic situation. We had planned to go in the morning so that we can get the earlies bus that gets there. 
We were saying good bye to my dad while the man from the bus helped us load our suitcases and bags on the bus. We were crying as we said our good byes and stuck to our dad until the last minute possible.
When we got on the bus, surprisingly there was quite the amount of people, I remember hating where I was sitting because I was behind a lady with a baby that wouldn’t stop throwing things at me and in front of a kid hat was 5-7 years old and wouldn’t stop kicking my seat. The bus had tiny TV’s and a bathroom, which was surprisingly clean, at the back of the bus. Sometimes the bus driver would make stops at different bus stations and more people would get in and some would get down, some people got on the bus just to sell stuff like chips, sodas, water, food, etc.
On our way to Tijuana we made a total of 9 stops that were for the same thing, two stops were made each day, one to get breakfast and the other for dinner. Sometimes the bus drivers would switch depending where we stopped. I remember watching the movies that they would put on the bus, honestly I can’t really remember what movies they put because of how often they would be old movies that only my grandma knew, and I remember eating my chips as we passed a military training base which was also a stop where they would check our things, and this was a very scary moment for me, because there was actually a bag that had some narcotics in it and the bag belonged to a man that was sitting two chairs behind me. Now this may seem weird that it scared me, but the reason why it did is because my siblings and I were actually talking to the guy sometimes and he would often offer us some of his chips that he had. If it weren’t for my grandma at the time telling us not to accept them, I don’t even want to imagine what it is we could have ate.
When we got to Tijuana it was 14TH of May, 5-6 p.m. we immediately went to the Border to be able to cross. My siblings and I had our papers because we were born in L.A. but my grandma had a visa that allowed her to come to the U.S. for 6 months. I don’t know exactly why, but when we got to the line to show our papers and cross I was very nervous. We had all our papers which were obviously real and legal, but I still felt scared. I kept telling myself that I was being ridiculous but no matter how I kept repeating it I still felt scared because of the stories that are always told in Mexico of corrupt police and what-not.
It was already 2-3 a.m. when we finally crossed and were able to actually see a little bit of the U.S. for the first time in my siblings and my life. There was a lot of buildings that had a lot of lights, the buses seemed more modern and updated and not as beat down as the one’s in Mexico. The fast food places that we usually only saw in movies actually were real which embarrassingly I thought was super awesome at the time. We called our uncle that lived in the city we were in at the moment, which was San Ysidro, he picked us up and because his car was a van we were able to fit everything and have space to sleep in the car, the same way we slept on the bus which was one person taking two seats and another one sleeping on the floor.
When we woke up it was already 3-4 p.m. of the 15th of May, we were in front of a house that had a white fence and was a wide one floor house, now this house for me at the moment was big and awesome because of how similar it was to the ones in movies and how different it was to the house I lived in Mexico. When we got out of the car my mom was already waiting for us, and after a year of not seeing her we cried of happiness and started to go in to our new life talking about things we miss about each other the past year.
This experience made me have a new hope in the way I want to live in this new environment that was given to me. When I was growing up in Mexico I had never been talked to about college, and High School was already where we had to start paying, and because of our family income we didn’t have enough money to afford for all 3 of us to go. It’s thanks to the experience that I had growing up in Mexico that I can be more appreciative towards the opportunity that was given to me by coming to this new country and give it my all to be successful.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

such a great story Kiyla! I'm glad your trip from Mexico to the US was safe!I could not imagine going from one country to another and living and having to adjust to their lifestyle. Good job Kiyla! - jayleen lupian

Anonymous said...

This is such a great story because personally I have family members who have been trying for such a long time to come into this country but the process is difficult and takes such a long time. It is something that most don't know how hard it is and how it affects you in a mental way. The detail was great and I'm glad this story had a happy ending.
-Ivan Mejia (Per.5)

Anonymous said...

Kiyla,that was an amazing story, I felt as though I were in your shoes the intensity of the journey ahead of you entering a totally different world. Much like you I had crossed the boarder, but for other reasons and different circumstances, but that never changes the effect that crossing from one state to the other has on someone that has both sides of the culture in him. -Joshua Perez

Unknown said...

wow kiyla i loved reading about your story in your journey to the states from mexico. It was so descriptive, something I really enjoyed while reading. You are a beautiful writer and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story! -Sofia Canseco

Unknown said...

I am glad you were able to share this experience with us and glad that you were able to cross into the U.S safely despite all the dangers. Leaving your home country into a strange new land to find a better life is extremely brave of you and your family especially leaving at a young age. I hope nothing but best wishes for you and your family in the future. - Eric Chang

Xiaoqing Zhong said...

Your story is very relatable, Kiyla! Up until this day, I still remember the moment when I said "good-bye" to my friends and family in the airport in Guangzhou, China, even though that was almost a century ago! I can't imagine how prolonged your journey felt like because the 13 hour flight I was on felt like forever! Lastly, I love all the descriptive details you offered to the audience, and you did an amazing job!

-xiaoqing zhong p.4

Anonymous said...

This is such a great story. You had a great amount of detail that allowed the reader to feel as though they were experiencing this event with you. I love how you said that this experience and growing up in Mexico allowed you to appreciate things more. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Kiyla, thank you for sharing your story. Personally, I am also an immigrant but I moved here from the Philippines. But, I can relate to the feelings you had when you moved here to the United States. I really enjoyed your writing and your story was very compelling. (-: Again, thank you for sharing. I also like how you made the blog post in bold text, it made it very unique.

Anonymous said...

I can never completely relate to the feelings you have described here, yet I can have an idea. I have had the privilege to at least travel to Mexico, to the small town of which my Grandfather herds his goat and cattle, and to see the difference between the Southern Nation and the Northern. That experience for me really did expose to me how much as a people we Americans take for granted, and how much is wasted upon trivialities in the grand scheme of society. I can only imagine what growing up in such modest conditions.can have on anyone. - Ethan Ford

Anonymous said...

This honestly gives a great insight into the life of a immigrant to the US, and the intense struggles they often go through. This story also touches on culture shock and acclimating, which is something all immigrants to the US have to deal with (or other states, in my case).

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this important moment with us! This blog was filled with vivid imagery that made it feel as if we were right there with you on your journey to the U.S! I love how you related this experience to the way you appreciate things more now! Thanks again for sharing! -Simran

Johnny De La Cruz said...

Kiyla, Thank you so much for sharing your story on returning to America and scary process and ordeal it can be to get here. I am really glad your trip was safe and know can reap the benefits America offers. I can also really relate with filling a need to become successful to show the sacrifices made on your behalf were worth it. I wish you nothing but success.

Dania Fauzi said...

I cannot put into words how much I enjoyed your piece, and appreciate you telling the story of your immigration. I really enjoyed the inclusion of your feelings throughout the difficult and scary process, and I think it added a very tasteful layer to your storytelling. Great work! I wish you and your family the best!

Daniel Alexander Peraza said...

Really loved this short bildungsroman story, and how this event in your life was inspirational to you, which made it inspirational to me and most likely other readers. Either way, Great Job Kiyla!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such an emotional story with us. Your writing is amazing and I loved hearing about such and important part of your live. Keep up the good work :)
- camryn greer