Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2019

"Finding Your Public Speaking Style " by Eugene K



     One of the most daunting aspects of participating in Model United Nations is public speaking. Most delegates are filled with anxiety and fear when it comes to speaking in front of their peers, nonetheless absolute strangers. As the president of our school’s Model United Nations (MUN) club and a participant of MUN for six years now, I would like to believe that I am somewhat good at public speaking and for this reason, I would like to extend to you some tips on public speaking that may help to ease your anxiety when speaking in front of others.
     To begin, let us divide the topic of “Public Speaking” into two aspects: Sight and Sound. We’ll begin with sight. Now when it comes to “sight” during public speaking, it is absolutely imperative that you maintain eye contact with your audience throughout the duration of your presentation. By maintaining eye contact with your audience, you are able to display confidence to your audience as well as retain their attention. However, most speakers find it to be very uncomfortable and stressful when they have to look directly into the eyes of their audience. If you are one of the people that feel this way, I would recommend for you to look at the foreheads of your audience instead. This allows for you to avoid the awkward eye contact that most people dread while simultaneously making it seem like you are looking directly into the eyes of your audience members. Another tip to consider would be preparing brief notes rather than an entire dissertation. This is a common tip amongst public speakers and it is because when you have an
entire speech instead of notes, the speaker often finds that they are looking at their paper quite frequently. Furthermore, some speakers lose track of what they said last so they’ll end up spending time looking for what they need to say next. This creates awkward silence and can also be very distracting for your audience while they wait for you to compose yourself. In order to avoid this, please prepare brief bullet points instead and simply link your points together in an impromptu manner. This can make your speech seem much more fluid and you won’t have to constantly look down at your paper. So far, I have talked about the importance of maintaining eye contact with your audience as well as the type of materials you should bring up with you and these are all relatively common tips that are shared. Yet, most people don’t seem to know about the importance of body motions when giving a speech. For example, make sure you utilize your hands when delivering a speech/presentation by either keeping your palms up (gestures to your audience that “you are welcoming them”), palms down (indicates that “you are in control”), or keeping your hands together. Pacing around the room could also demonstrate that you are in control of the room and prevents you from improper body stances (example: slanting), but excessive pacing can also be seen as a distraction.
     Following the sight aspect of public speaking, one must equally consider the sound aspect of giving a speech. One of the most important details would be your speaking volume. Depending on the size of the room, one must gauge how loudly they must speak in order to insure that their entire audience can hear the points that they are delivering. This particular tip requires some extensive practice, but it is important that one isn’t too loud, it can scare the audience and portray a demanding character, or too quiet, it leads to your audience straining to hear you and risks the possibility of your audience not hearing what you are saying. Following
volume, one must also consider the pace and tone of their speech. Talking too fast during a speech may lead to stuttering or confusion among the audience as they struggle to keep up with the ideas you are delivering. However, talking too slow may result in a loss of time and can cause a loss of interest. This is when tone comes in! By shifting your tone throughout your speech (Example: lowering your tone when making a point), it ensures that your audience is constantly captivated and doesn’t lose focus.
     Throughout life, you will often find yourselves in situations where you have to address an audience. These situations could arise in college during one of your classes or maybe even at work. Regardless of where it happens and how many people you are addressing, these tips can assist you in delivering an effective speech/presentation. By delivering a fantastic speech or presentation, it leaves you open to the possibility of earning a good grade, gaining the respect of your peers, motivating change, and a multitude of other benefits! All in all, hopefully the tips above aid you in developing your own public speaking persona!

38 comments:

Jackson DeAndrea said...

Eugene, I do a lot of public speaking for my job, and I sometimes think about the boring factor that is a product of what I do. After reading this, I will definitely take your tips with me to work and use them to spruce up the training I do. Not a lot of people can easily grasp the skills needed for this, and I'm glad you wrote this out to help those of us who need it. Great job!

Ashley French said...

Eugene, I really enjoyed reading your blog, and I think so many of us can relate. Public speaking can be immensely difficult, especially when you have little to no experience with it. Your blog entry of how to find the best style of public speaking for yourself can benefit so many students. I like how you immediately connected the overall topic to your personal experience through Model United Nations. Great job Eugene!

Anonymous said...

Eugene, I love how you described the specific steps that make up public-speaking. The way you described different tones to take with an audience and how body gestures can indicate confidence are very useful techniques. I love how at the end you explained the importance of having strong public-speaking skills and I will definitely try these new skills out! Good job!

Paul Aureus said...

I find it difficult myself, having to speak to a larger crowd or public speaking in general. These tips sound very useful and I plan on using them myself. Great job Eugene! -Paul Aureus

Anonymous said...

Thank you Eugene! You're a great speaker and a great writer as well! Some of the speaking tips you embedded in your essay I will attempt to use in the future! -Joshua Kidwell

alex le said...

As you've said, public speaking is something that many people nowadays tend to dread, even just a little despite being good at public speaking! The guide that you've written out was REALLY well managed and organized, it really gives us readers an idea of how confident you really are! Or at least the general idea of how collected you are. Overall, this piece was EXTREMELY helpful and i would no doubt utilize this in my future endeavors!

Adam Huizar said...

Thank you for this indirect "how to" it is, frankly, something i really need to know. I can come off as the really easy to talk to type of guy, I'm always conversing with someone whether its text, phone or in-person. As seemingly easy as it seems for me to be so boisterous, I am easily a shy person. When I step up on any stage, whether it be in the classroom to Madison Square gardens, I internally cry from nervousness. I would love to be able to speak better, and before I step up I have the courage to do so - when I'm up there there's that fear of judgement gnawing at the back on my mind. Knowing how to speak is a very important skill and thank you kindly for these tips.

- Adam Huizar

Matthew Ulloa said...

Thank you for this, I hate public speaking with a passion and these tips seem like they would help me improve. You had very detailed examples and I loved how you talked about basically everything involving talking in front of others. My favorite part is when you addressed speaking too fast, which is my main issue with public speaking.

Alex Lau said...

As someone that has seen you do speeches, I can one hundred percent vouch for your public speaking ability. As a speaker, you've always been able to communicate effectively and in a commanding voice for the entire room to hear. Your guide on public speaking is insightful and incredibly helpful, given the difficulty that so many people have with public speaking.

Melody Lin said...

I personally struggle with public speaking (even though that is part of my job) and it is nice to learn some tips from someone that has good public speaking skills! Public speaking is a useful skill to learn and is a skill that is not easy to master. I enjoyed reading your reflection while learning something new at the same time, good job!

Chad Leron-Madsen said...

Thank you Eugene for this informational on public speaking, as I found it very inspiring and informative on an often dreadful task which we must do as it is necessary for numerous reasons, especially in our adult life. I love the way you wrote this with your direct, encouraging, and coaching writing style. Keep up the great work bud!

David Jimenez said...

As I was reading your piece, I understood much of what you were discussing about body language and tone. You have great tips on how to acquire confidence with public speaking. I have seen you speak in front of an audience and I have noticed great key attributes that make you a great speaker. Great job.

Sandra Mae Samin said...

A great deal of one's self-growth definitely involves being able to conquer public speaking, which is something that I am still working to develop myself. These tips were very informative and useful, for while they were interesting to read about, they will also be something that I apply in my own public speaking habits. Thank you for this and amazing work!

Valarie Ly said...

Thank you for writing this blog Eugene. Although I do see myself as a bubbly person, I also struggle with talking in front of a crowd or a class. Your blog really encouraged me to try to find my own way of public speaking. Your tips and helpful points will stick with me as I continue to communicate with others or present. You have also helped me extremely, as I do want to become an elementary teacher. Public speaking is a key component to becoming a teacher and I still have more to learn. Thank you again for this helpful blog, you did amazing!

Unknown said...

I like your piece Eugene, especially since this is something I can refer to. I know it's easier said than done but I can definitely use your piece of advice and thorough steps of phenomenal public speaking for future references.

kayla holliman said...

this " how to" is very different from other blogs that ive read and i really enjoy how you go step by step to help people overcome a fear that almost everyone has. you did a good job at thoroughly explaining this in a helpful way that will be very useful to us as we grow older into our adult lives.

Anonymous said...

This is such an informative piece because many people struggle to speak in public personally i've grown to be more comfortable and now it feels almost natural but this definitely helped me for future presentations that I must give, thanks for this. Nice job
- Ivan Mejia (Per.5)

Ivan Larrondo said...

Thank you for sharing these tips on how to become a better public speaker. I had no idea that different hand gestures could suggests different things to the audience. I like the idea of looking at the audience’s foreheads rather than eyes. The next time I need to speak, I will remember these tips.

Brianna JImenez said...

I found this piece very informative. You did a good job breaking down and describing the different skills that are involved in public speaking. I learned from this blog and will definitely be using these tips in the future.

Eric Chang said...

Your piece will definitely help me a lot because I am really bad speaking in front of people. I will definitely practice your advices and hopefully I'll have no trouble with public speaking. - Eric Chang

Sara An said...

As someone who greatly dislikes public speaking, I thank you for this blog! Dividing such a disconcerting task into just sight and sound makes it seem much less daunting and much more doable. I never truly realized how important body language is while presenting before. I’ll be sure to remember these tips for future presentations!

Noah Palmer said...

Wow, you really have public speaking on lock down. I have never dived so deeply into the concept but you really know what your doing. Good Job on the blog and thank you for the tips!

Nathaniel Landeros said...

This piece of information was very helpful and a reminder to myself. Reason being is that I consider myself a good at presenting in front of people. The tips that you had were reminders and some were new. I will keep these tips in mind when another presentation comes up. I liked how the piece was short and concise with giving out the information. Overall good job!

Anonymous said...

A lot of people our age have trouble speaking in public in front of crowds and your essay was really well done. I’m sure that almost everyone reading your essay will take away a strategy for public speaking that will help them later on in their life.-Nathan Brown

Anonymous said...

Hey Eugene, to be honest you are truly great amazing public speaker especially impromptu. I really like on how you identifies the common problems people face with talking to people especially the part about speaking too fast. I also like the various tip you give to ease out the anxiety and fear in giving a speech. I certainly agree to the part on how looking at the people forehead to make eye contact can ease out the stress, that is actually true. I really like on how you mention the part on controlling the speaking volume which in some cases would my weakness. I found my self kinda demanding and emotional on giving out a speech. Thank you for sharing great advice and I will utilize them in our next MUN Conference. Overall Great and Amazing Piece!
-Jean Andre Molina Period 4

Anonymous said...

Public speaking is one of my weaknesses and it is something that I am trying to improve at. Your blog was very helpful and I will definitely use a few strategies that you mentioned.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this Eugene, I myself struggle with public speaking so this was much needed. You really pinpointed the most common problems that most people have when speaking in public. Great job! - Don'yale Thomas

Cedric Perez said...

I really appreciate your blog, as I personally have a fear for public-speaking and presenting in front of a group of people. Your writing was very organized throughout and I will always keep your blog by my side to help me in potential presentations and speeches in the future. Thank you so much for the help!

Unknown said...

As someone who struggles with the anxiety of public speaking, I thank you for these tips. I really enjoyed how well organized your piece was and how it flowed together very nicely. I also appreciate you going over multiple scenarios so the reader has a better understanding of what to do. Overall, I will definitely be utilizing these tips in the future, thank you!

Nufsat Khan said...

Thank you for writing this blog! Personally English being my language, i was also scared of speaking in front of public and always used to get nervous. This blog is really helpful. You did an amazing job. -Nufsat Khan

Tanner Antonucci said...

Eugene this was a great piece to write about because public speaking for some people is challenging and overwhelming. I know that for me I definitely have trouble talking to a large crowd but I loved how you were able to give some helpful tips in trying your best to fix those kind of problems and I will definitely take some into consideration!
- Tanner Antonucci

Sara Harvey said...

Eugene,

This is such a helpful guide! I feel like I’m pretty comfortable with public speaking, but I learned a few things from this that I want to use at our next conference. I admire your speeches and I think that there are few people I know that are better qualified to instruct others on this. Your piece is informative and super easy to read. Great job!

Santiago Rodriguez said...

Eugene I found your piece really informative. I believe public speaking is something most people struggle with in some way, unless it just comes easy to them. I found your instructions really detailed and clear, ill try to incorporate what you suggested next time I speak in front of my peer. Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am really going to use these tips in the future. Thanks Eugene! This will be really helpful especially in college, I really want to put myself in small classroom settings in college where I would need to learn to be a good speaker. Great writing as well, it really grasped my attention and kept me engaged! Awesome job!!

Rauhl Morrisey said...

Eugene, I first have to say I’m thankful that you wrote this. I always get nervous when speaking in front of the class, but I think if I take a few tips from your book then I might be able to get through it. I like how you brought up the biggest factors that everyone faces when they have to talk in front of people. With the personal experience you brought to our attention and putting your techniques into use, it helps us see how it actually works and that we can all overcome it.

Unknown said...

I personally have a tremendous fear of public speaking, mostly when I am in a classroom, and to be able to have these tips and tricks on hand for myself is quite fantastic. I love how you made public speaking into such a simple concept that is easily mastered by anyone. I'm probably still going to forever have a fear of public speaking but it is great to have these tips on hand for whenever I do really need it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for the tips on public speaking. I have personally always struggled with this topic whether it be debating in front of a class or presenting a power point to a class. ~Ryan Kang

kendra Gonzalez said...

As someone who does struggle with the anxiety of public speaking, I really appreciate your tips. I also enjoyed how well organized your piece is and how you used examples to really help the reader understand you. Overall, I will definitely be trying some of these out, thank you!