Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2019

"How to Make Steamed Rice" by Jason N



So, you want to learn how to make steamed rice? I’m gonna take a guess and say that's why you clicked here. Well today you are going to learn how to make one of the most important piece of food in the Asian community. You can eat steamed rice with anything. People eat steamed rice in sushi. You can eat steamed rice with any type of meat or vegetables. You can even eat it with fruit. Weird huh? This food is so diverse and you can eat it however you want and it’ll still taste fire.
Okay now that we got the introduction out of the way, let's get to the actual “how to” itself.
1. In order to even start, you need to get all of your necessities first. You will need
  1. A rice strainer. You will need this to clean the rice before making it.
  2. A pot/rice cooker. You will need this to cook the rice.
  3. Some hands. You should be born with these in order to make this, but if not then
    I’m sorry we can’t be friends
  4. Water. You will need this to clean and bathe the rice in.
  5. Rice. You will need this in order to actually make steamed rice
  1. Make sure to have your rice ready. If you don’t have any rice, it would probably be a good idea to go get some from the grocery store. You can go to any Asian grocery store and they will for sure sell it. I personally go to the 99 Ranch Market on Baseline and Archibald because it’s the closest one, but the workers there are weirdos. You guys don’t have to go there. Y'all can go wherever y’alls little hearts desire. Although, if you already have rice, you can go ahead and ignore Step 2 until you run out and want to buy some more rice.
  2. Next, to make enough rice for a family of 5, you want to take your rice strainer and your rice and put 2-3 cups of rice in the strainer. The more rice you put, of course means the more rice you’ll have but you have to remember that rice gets bigger when it’s being cooked so 2-3 cups is good because it is a lot and it won’t overflow while you’re cooking. Trust me when I say this, it will be a lot. After you put the rice in your strainer, start putting in water and stop once you see the rice start to rise. After that you need to use your hands and just start mixing it. Doing that will help clean the rice since the rice came in that really dirty bag. Also make sure your hands are clean when doing that or else no one's going to want to eat that rice. After, you need to strain out the water. Repeat that step 1-2 times.
  1. After you have done that, you will need to pour water back into the rice strainer. This time, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT pour out the water. Take it and pour it into the rice cooker. After, you will cook it on high and let it be and it will tell you when it is finished. If you do not have a rice cooker, you can do basically the same thing. All you have to do differently is you boil the water first in a pot. After, you pour the rice into the pot and you put the lid over it. Let it simmer for about 18 minutes. After, take off the lid and let it steam for another 5 minutes. You can check if it’s done by using a fork and fluffing it around.
  2. Now that you have your rice ready and it is cooked, you should probably eat it while it’s hot. That is when it tastes the best. I grew up eating rice and I have ate it with a lot of different types of side choices. I’ve had rice with chicken. I’ve had rice with eggs. Heck I’ve even had rice with mangos. Although the only difference is that the rice is sweet and sticky and it tastes a lot better. You can make many different types of rice such as fried rice, brown rice, sticky rice, the list goes on and on. In my opinion, I love eating sushi and sushi just coincidentally happens to have rice in it. So whenever you are hungry and you just so happen to be next to the 99 Ranch Market on Baseline and Archibald, consider making yourself some Japanese Steamed Rice.

30 comments:

Taylor Archuletta said...

My gosh, I literally couldn't stop laughing while reading your piece. Jason, your piece was truly unique and I had such a great time reading it and learning how to cook the rice properly, thank you for this :)

Sofia Hormaza said...

Jason, your article is very nicely organized and I could easily follow each step. I love steamed rice and will definitely try this recipe! Each step is informative while also appealing to its readers. It is very realistic, especially when you wrote, "you can check if it's done by using a fork and fluffing it around." Good work!

Eugene Kim said...

As someone who thoroughly enjoys rice everyday, it was a pleasure to read this blog. I believe that rice is a staple dish that everyone should know how to make. You were very descriptive in each step and very detailed in describing how to prepare the rice (washing it, proportions, etc). Furthermore, you also incorporated some comedy here and there with your diction (utilizing slang occasionally). Overall, I enjoyed this article very much and would encourage everyone to learn how to make rice.

Adam Huizar said...

I just love the rice cooker we have at my house, the tangy stickiness of the ball of rice in that small bowl smothered with soy sauce makes me cry from an innate happiness. What makes me plead for more is a furthered fried rice made in the giant Wok. Now I must go home and make some of this beautiful white clump of greatness.

- Adam Huizar

Anonymous said...

This would go well with Xiaoqing´s chicken. These are very easy steps to follow. The little comedic inputs like in 1c made it even better. I cant wait to try it.
-Grecia Sepulveda

Alex Lau said...

An amazing guide on how to make an amazing food. Rice is the very essence of being and, as such, a guide such as the one you have written and posted is remarkably brilliant in its execution. Such sophisticated language and exuberant detail led me to a fantasy world where rice was all; your post has changed the very idea of rice as we know it. Thank you.

Melody Lin said...

Thank you for the post on how to cook rice with a pot rather than a rice cooker. Now when my rice cooker breaks I can make rice with a pot. Since I eat rice every single day and for every meal, it is very useful to know to make steamed rice in a pot. Thank you for this very entertaining post!

Anonymous said...

Nice job Jason!My grandmother usually makes the rice so next time i will pay attention to see how similar your recipes are! -jayleen lupian

Alysha Santiago said...

What a nice way to add your own humor to a tutorial. I never thought rice could be funny until now. You demonstrated clear organization and detail in your step by step tutorial. I also enjoyed hearing your own opinions and commentary, especially in step 2. Thank you for this because I’ve never had rice before, so now I think I might try it !

Noah Palmer said...

Thank you for the guide on making steamed rice; 99 ranch market does have good rice but your right, there are alot of weirdos there. Good Job on the blog and the subtle comedy within it!

Xiaoqing Zhong said...

Jason, this us such a coincidence that I have mentioned I don't know how to cook rice in my blog post! Days later, I am here reading a clear and thorough instruction on how to cook rice! I love all the detailed directions you have given to your audience, especially the specific numbers. You have taught me how to do one of the most important things in life! Thank you and you did an amazing job!

-xiaoqing zhong P.4

Anonymous said...

I loved this piece since you incorporated some humorous aspects to it! I always have been a rice fan and this just makes me crave it more. Good Job Jason, now I know how to make my own rice whenever I want. I also really enjoyed how organized your work was as well great job! -john b IV

Anonymous said...

This was a very specific instructional blog post on how to cook steamed rice. The instructions were specific and clear, and suggestions were written from the your recommendations. I loved all the additional toppings and complements that were suggested in step number 5. I will follow you guide on to how to create steamed rice without any struggle. -Jacob Ramirez

Cedric Perez said...

The line "it'll still taste fire" was very funny to me and I enjoyed how your piece was not only comedic, but very informative. You transformed a simple idea into a fun and exciting blog we all can laugh and learn from. Great Job!

Sharon Yutuc said...

Lmao, you were very savage about a person with no hands that it made me laugh. Still as an asian, it's embarrassing for me to not know how to cook rice since I only cook easy food like mac n cheese, ramen, pancakes and etc. Still your article is not only informative but very witty too. Still fun to read though :)

Luke Andrus said...

I am a massive fan of eating rice, but I cannot cook to save my life whatsoever. Now, thanks to your informative guide, I can finally feed myself with something that is adequate enough for me to enjoy! Thank you Jason!

kendra Gonzalez said...

Thank you, Jason, for informing the people about how to make steamed rice in this comedic yet effective post. I really enjoyed your sense of humor throughout the post as it made to process more fun and really grabbed my attention. Overall, I will definitely be trying this soon, thank you.

saima shahzad said...

these instructions were so funny lol you sound like my mom when she is trying to teach me how to cook. thank you for this college prep benefit so i dont have to live off of unhealthy stuff

Omar Sandoval said...

Nice post, I like all of the humor you were able to cram into instructions for cooking rice, it’s well organized, and it’s easy to follow. I personally don’t know if the information is accurate, but hey it’s easy to follow, and there’s only one way to find out.

Jackson DeAndrea said...

Jason, I myself have been enjoying Asian cuisine lately, and steamed rice is a favorite of mine. I like how simple you make the instructions so it can be universally understood in order to make the best rice ever. And knowing that your recipe cooks for 5, I will be more than glad to make some for my next large family outing. Thanks for the recipe and great job!

Jackson DeAndrea said...

Jason, I myself have been eating more Asian cuisine lately, and steamed rice is one of my favorite dishes. I really enjoyed how you made the recipe easy to understand so that it could be universally made by anyone. I also like how you made the recipe so that it serves 5, which will be a great dish for my next family gathering. Thanks for the recipe and great job!

Santiago Rodriguez said...

Jason I have always wondered how you cook rice, thanks to you now I know. Your instructions were clear and detailed making me feel confident that I can now cook it myself. Great job!

Angelina Lim said...

Jason, your blog post was funny as well as helpful. Rice is so essential in Asian cuisine and know I can not be so dependent on my rice cooker. Good job!

Anonymous said...

This piece was very instructional and has some aspects of humor which made it an effective piece. I enjoyed reading it and the organization that makes the piece easy to understand as well. -Julissa Saenz

Natalie Cerrillo said...

WoW Jason! I just want to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your piece. It was both so well described and hilarious. Thank you for giving me a good laugh while teaching me how to cook steamed rice. I want to thank you in advance because I know that it's going to taste amazing. Great Job!

Brooke Leslie said...

Jason, I loved reading your piece. The directions were very concise and easy to follow. I especially liked your recommendations. The satirical element to this "how to..." makes it a very enjoyable work of literature.
-Brooke Leslie

Afeef Gulshah said...

I loved how you made each step simple and very easy to complete. I always wanted to learn how to make rice for sushi and now I can. It was very interesting to see something these unique written. Great job.

Leslie R. said...

Definitely loved this how to on making steamed rice, because it was fairly simple and I just love rice. It was great that you were pretty straight forward and on top of that the part about the 99 Ranch Market workers was pretty funny, great job!-Leslie

Ethan W Mathenge said...

I am loving these food how-tos, and I especially love rice, so if I feel like eating something starchy with my veggies I can just refer back to this! Good job Jason

Alejandro Marquez said...

Jason that was a incredible how to however i believe the rice cooker to be absolutely amazing the knowledge of how to cook rice in a pot. It was also a very funny how to with many comedic properties within the how to. I might try to make rice like this
Alejandro Marquez