Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2019

"I’m Gay And Have Severe Anxiety " by Jennifer F



     The heat is unbearable. My thighs start sticking to the low budget leather seats adorned with small cracks and a shallow hole here and there. The smell of sickly sweet orange chicken and an ungodly amount of canola oil saturates the thick air around me. ‘Why on Earth did we decide on the food court to study in out of all places?’ I berate myself silently. It was an irritatingly sunny day in perhaps the most suburban of areas you can find in Southern California. I attended a school filled with hundreds of egotistical man babies who oppressed my very existence on a daily basis. The girls weren’t any better either. (I mean most of them were fine I just choose to fixate on the negative, you know, for the dramatization of it all). A distant, and I mean distant friend of mine plagiarized her final essay sophomore year and foolishly bragged about her feat to my entire friend group the following semester. No one could have prepared me for the chaos that ensued immediately after. Friendships were broken, a girl’s transcript was tarnished by “anonymous” information, and most importantly, I couldn’t eat my 20 gram protein bar without hearing that one girl fat shame my English teacher. However, not all was lost. Recently I’ve started talking to someone. Not like talking talking but just, talking. I wasn’t completely out of the closet yet which was simultaneously terrifying and comforting. The dirty flannels and baggy sweats weren’t fooling anyone at school but my parents remained as oblivious as always. They didn’t know the reason why I watched these low budget, terribly written shows was because they were the only source of representation I could find in a world just barely coming to terms with the fact that racial, gender, and marriage equality aren’t just some abstract concepts we like to talk about for fun. They also didn’t know I was temporarily incapable of speech when it came to a girl in English who managed to knock the wind out of me with just a smile, and many, many more. Adding on to the list of things my parents should probably never know about are the daily texts I’ve exchanged with a girl from another high school in my district who is coincidentally the reason why I’m sitting in Victoria Gardens infamous food court, alone, in anticipation.
     I don’t normally put myself out there. Especially when “out there” is full of judgement and potential food allergies I might have. But in this case there was nothing stopping me from meeting the only other girl like me I knew of in the entirety of the accursed Rancho Cucamonga. She had so much to say about everything and a mind full of wonderfully bizarre facts and opinions that I never got tired of hearing about. Not to mention, she was without a doubt the most intelligent person I knew of in my sad and desolate high school circumference. This is important to keep in mind as our finals were coming up for our sophomore year and I couldn’t have been more ill-prepared. I passively communicated my anxieties about this to her in conversation and she passively offered to...help me. I scooped up my phone that was haphazardly thrown onto my bed and clutched it for dear life. I don’t do these things. I don’t meet up with
people I’ve only met once, on their birthdays specifically, where I never said a word because Dear God She Was Pretty and I’m nowhere near qualified to speak to her. My heart was palpitating and of course I was going to say yes, I’m not stupid, but I had to restrain myself from answering in the .005 seconds my monkey brain was planning on. “Be cool”, I spoke solemnly to myself while nervously pacing around my bedroom. That same phrase is now the only thing I can hear in my mind as I wait for her in this suffocating heat. I am now full stage Panic Mode and I don’t think I’ve ever been this anxious to meet someone. Well, there is the exception of that underground indie artist I waited hours to see, so worth it. Anyways, my heart is minutes away from rupturing and leaving me sprawled over a crusty food court booth when out of nowhere she slides into the seat in front of me with full indifference on her face. I have made a grave mistake.
     Eventually I mustered up enough courage to utter a few words of gratitude and asked how on earth chemistry made any sense to her. She looked up at me and I immediately lost my composure. My throat transformed into the Sahara Desert and I could feel my face burning up. “What did you say?”, she asked in response. Deep down inside my soul I begged God to spare me from the inevitable embarrassment and end it right here in the middle of everyone’s lunch. Unsurprisingly, he did not listen to my pleas. I fumbled around inside my bag to grab a water bottle that might help the burning in my cheeks ebb away a little. I managed to get my point across and changed the subject to something more tangible, like the stack of chemistry worksheets conveniently placed on the table. The more we talked, the more I realized that this wouldn’t be the last time we meet. The sun was about to set which sent rays of golden orange cascading down into the windows that shielded us from the outside. I glanced up towards her and saw the next years unfold between us. Suddenly the food court didn’t seem like such a terrible place to spend my time in.

20 comments:

Skylir Ford said...

Jennifer, I'm so appreciative to have been able to read such a clear, open, and vulnerable personal reflection, and I commend you for so many things. First, your description of severe anxiety including detailed imagery, humorous self-deprecating commentary, and frightening thoughts are so clear and familiar to me, so much so that I am glad you are bringing such matters of mental health into the light. I also love how your voice (and title) reflects how you are/becoming more comfortable with yourself and your sexuality, and that rocks!!!!!!
Lastly, your piece overall just gave me this sense of realness and authenticity, and towards the end, hope. Great work.

Ashley Sierra-Tillery said...

Jen, reading this piece was a beautiful experience. Your recollection was personal and in-depth, and instilled in the reader every emotion you expressed, as you expressed it. Your personality shines through your writing and your wit and attention to detail create a narrative that I found wholly engaging. Beautiful work!
-Ashley Sierra-Tillery

Chad Leron-Madsen said...

This was a very interesting personal piece that you wrote Jennifer, and I think I know the actual people you refer to in this narrative. I found it very inspiring how you expressed your full emotions and thoughts from an event that seems ingrained into your memory. Your viewpoints on the world are also very interesting to me, even though I have to disagree with any "man baby" at our school to have actually "oppressed" you on a the daily (men and women have different strengths and weaknesses that should be appreciated but men & women are equal in America) but I do agree with the excessive egotistical, self-centered vibe most people have here. Anyways, the vivid, highly-descriptive detail you used really gave me great insight into your point of view during your heart-racing experience. Keep up the great work!

Mason Song said...

Jennifer, your blog was really well written and insightful! Your descriptive imagery as well as your high school experience greatly enhanced the situation that you are facing. It really showed your true self with this writing. I also liked the use of hyperboles such as that “My throat transformed into the Sahara Desert” as it intensified the situation and made us, the readers wonder, how the situation will turn out. Thank you for sharing this experience in your blog!

Alani Sullivan said...

Reading such a personal piece was really amazing Jennifer and honestly to some extent I can actually relate to things you were writing about. Seeing your view of the world was amusing and actually very interesting, especially with the mention of man babies... But as well as your social anxiety viewpoints and the oppressing you went through since our school likes to preach about equality and such. This work you did was amazing and the style of it was equal to that maybe even better! I would for sure read more of what you had to say.

Mary Rykowski said...

This was the most accurate representation of the fear that one feels when they are going to meet someone they have intense feelings for and I loved your narrative about having to slow down and not text someone back the second they text you. Your description of this beautiful event was so breathtaking and it is so wonderful that everything worked out in the end! I loved reading this narrative!

Francis Anisi said...

Jennifer, this piece was well formatted, it felt as if I was reading an excerpt from a YA fiction novel! The detail and imagery was beautiful and established a well-developed setting, from the intensity of the heat to the skipping of your heartbeat, it all flowed so well! You have an amazing sense of humor and it translates well into your writing! I don't really know why, but I spontaneously burst into a fit of laughter when I read "I have made a grave mistake", and I am so glad you are growing comfortable with your sexuality! I love that! I love you!! This was so cute and lovely and heartwarming!

Mackenzie Tipple said...

You are quite honestly, an amazing writer. Each sentence rolled off the tongue like it was meant to be written exactly that way. As for the topic of your piece, I loved it. It's nice to hear stories about people meeting other people that make them feel like they have a place in this world, especially high school.
-Mackenzie Tipple

Evan To said...

As a fellow gay I will say this: YES QUEEN!! This is something that I can always enjoy since this is basically what I would want when it comes to meeting my dream man.

Alysha Santiago said...

I truly enjoyed reading this because it was very open and personal, and your raw emotion really drew me in. This piece shows how well you are able to articulate your thoughts and feelings. Your words are so genuine and vivid, I felt like I was inside your head. I applaud you for writing on a topic that most people wouldn’t dare to speak on. Again, such a great piece and I would love to see more of your writing in the future.

Audrie Torres said...

Wow, this is extremely well written! (Honestly, it read a lot like something from a published novel) Its pretty admirable that you can put all these intimate thoughts and emotions out there for everyone to see. I can completely relate to the anxiety of meeting people- despite how close they might be to me. This is such an amazing piece! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Wow Jennifer, this piece was a roller coaster from start to finish. Your vivid use of imagery and diction really express the anxiety and millions of thoughts racing through the mind when meeting someone special like this. Overall, a very enthralling and catching piece.
-Lance Anthony Aquino

Anonymous said...

Wow Jennifer your peace was very powerful, the figurative language really brought out the intensity of the anxiety that you feel. I feel like you expressed who you are very well in this essay. - Nathan Brown

Jean Andre Molina said...

Hello Jennifer, this piece is incredible well written, I really like how you shared a moment of your life with us, thank you for that. Regarding literary techniques I really on your usage of figurative language especially the usage of visual imagery which allows us to see your perspective on the situation. I also like on how you use numerous metaphor to describe on what you feel. I like the part when you describe your throat and facial expression as hot as the Sahara Desert, we truly felt your level of anxiety in that moment of time. In my perspective the usage of figurative language and visual imagery allowed this piece to be well written. Finally I really like on how you talk about a topic that most people don't even bother to speak about, I applaud you and thank you for that. Overall Great and Amazing Piece.
-Jean Andre Molina Period 4

Betheni Amador said...

The vulnerability and honesty of this piece was refreshing. I’m very proud of you for sharing this and also of how well you’ve been able to capture such personal thoughts and experiences. Your humor shines through in this, through all of the anxiety and fear, and it’s clearly genuine. Amazing job as always

Sharon Yutuc said...

Dang Jennifer, your narrative about your anxieties of being gay touched my heart so much on a spiritual level. I have anxiety too since I've always see the world in such a negative way. It's not easy to be homosexual in this cruel world(America anyways). I'm really glad the story ended very well which makes me happy knowing you're being courageous through this time. I hope all goes well for you.

Charlene Sangalang said...

Wow, this reflection of yours was stunning! I really love the imagery and metaphors that you utilized throughout your writing piece to convey your feelings from anxiety to romantic feelings. The way you described the setting that took place was well-said and so true (I agree the food court of VG is not the best place to be in). It really gives us a vivid visual of what was happening at that time of your life when you were with your love interest. I can tell the insight about your anxiety over your identity in the beginning was written truly from your heart. The fact that you had the strength to convey the dark side of life is admirable, especially over this certain topic. Overall, I've enjoyed this piece from beginning to end.

Gianna Guzman said...

Jennifer, this blog is very well written, your diction and details add to the tension of the moment, almost causing me to feel your anxiety with you. You don't hold anything back with your details and thoughts which allows me to visualize every moment of your memories. Being this vulnerable takes a lot of bravery so I praise you for having the courage to share your feelings. We all feel awkward at some time or another in high school and it can be tough to overcome. However, it seems like you're working through the process of putting yourself out there and taking a leap of faith. Great work!

Johnny De La Cruz said...

Jenny I love your piece so so so much! Thank you so much for being so open and vulnerable about yourself and tackling issues such as LGBTQ+ representation(the lack of it) and mental health topics such as social anxiety and your ability to explain it on a deep level. I love you, what you stand for, and the growth I have seen in you since we first met.

Dania Fauzi said...

Jennifer! This was wonderfully written, and I really appreciate your ability to be vulnerable enough to share personal accounts of your high school experience with us all. You are very brave for that, and I admire that a lot in your writing. Your courage to open up made this a truly enjoyable piece, well done!