Pages

Monday, March 19, 2018

“My Angel” by: Andrea D-P


     October 2009 my mom was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma, in other words CANCER. A word no human being wants to hear. This disease had grew so quickly. Before we had received the horrific news life was amazing. We were a family of five, we constantly took vacations, went out to eat, and so on. We were living in Fort Irwin, California at the time, and we were really enjoying our lives as a family. The bad news had really caused a drastic and sudden change in our everyday life. My mom had got admitted into Loma Linda University Hospital on January 7th, 2010 for surgery to get her right kidney removed. During this process my dad, brother, sister, and I had temporarily moved to Montebello, California to accompany my grandma and grandpa. My dad was constantly visiting my mom while she was in the hospital just so he can give us updates on how she was doing. My sister, and I were at the age of nine, and my brother was at the age of four, with that being said we had a difficult time trying to understand what was really going on. Imagine hearing, “mom just went on vacation.” We were confused, curious, there were just so many questions to be asked. “Why did mom leave us?” “When is she coming back?” “Is she going to be okay?” I experienced a numerous amount of sleepless nights at just the age of nine. I went from sleeping with her every night to being in a cold, empty bed well at least that’s what it felt like. 




After a weeks of surgeries, and lonely nights sleeping in the hospital bed my mom’s doctors had confirmed that she was CANCER FREE. That’s right the deadly, horrifying disease was no longer taking over her body, mind, and soul. The hospital’s visitation restrictions had prevented my siblings and I from seeing our mom, but after a total of twelve days that all changed. The hospital had allowed my mom to go down to the lobby to see us. The visit was only thirty minutes however it felt like five seconds. It came time to say our goodbyes unknown to us that, that would be our last family gathering. Two days later my family and I were informed that my mom would not recover. Her visit with us had caused her stress because all she wanted
was to be with her family and unfortunately that had caused her to have a sudden brain aneurysm. 

The aneurysm was to far into her brain which prevented the doctor’s from saving her life. Unfortunately, my beautiful, strong mom had passed at 6am during sunrise on January 23rd, 2010. The way my dad delivered the news to my siblings and I was just heartbreaking. He went into the room and had woke us up. I could feel my stomach turning before he had even said anything, and then with tears falling down from his eyes the most heartbreaking words came out of his mouth, “Mommy went to heaven.” I lost all feeling in my body to the point where I couldn’t even cry, I was in complete shock. However, my brother and sister reacted differently. They were screaming their heads off, literally. I mean, can you blame them? I then ran to the restroom, I sat there and thought, what do I do now? How am I going to help my dad with my siblings? Who’s going to do my hair? I was hoping it was all a bad dream, but no my nightmare had really become a reality. 



What was next? We had to plan and prepare for a funeral. They say no kid should ever have to bury their parents. You can probably assume that at this point many questions were being asked. Why her? God, why would you take my mom away from me? We were sitting in the church, trying to celebrate her life. No kid should have to view a cold, unusual smelling corpse inside of a casket. However, I did. All I kept saying was, “Wake up mommy. Please wake up” Suddenly, two men had rushed into the church closed her casket and left the church. My aunt had to hold me back because all I could yell was, “give me my mommy back!” Just like that she was gone. 

To say this experience was life changing would be a complete understatement. I had nine short years with her but in time she had taught me how to fight, how to love, and how to be strong. Eight years later, and I refuse to take anything for granted. I try to live everyday like it’s my last because you never know what the next day will bring. I took my mom for granted because I had always thought that nothing would happen to her. My life is forever changed, and my best friend is now my angel. 


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow what can I say, this honestly made me get so many tears in my eyes and made me so emotional. Many horrific events occur to people and it's not understandable why this occurs. I am so sorry for your lost and I thank you so much for sharing such an intimate event that changed yours life and it taught me so much like to never take anyone for granted or anything, especially my parents who do so much

Unknown said...

This really drives home the saying "Why do bad things happen to good people?". I'm crying just reading this piece because I can feel the pain and the living nightmare you had to live through. Many of my family members have passed from cancer and it never gets easier to have them pass from this ugly stupid disease. This piece shows how brave you are. Thank you for sharing this intimate life changing experience.

Taslima Ahamed said...

First off, I am so sorry to know this sad part of your life. I can feel what you went through, because i also lost the people that was close to my heart but of course no one can take the place of Mother. But remember that, there's a reason behind everything and god always have bigger plan for us. I have to salute you for sharing this incredibly story of your life.

Brianna Icamen said...

I cried reading this. Thank you so much for posting such a personal story, I really admire you for being able to talk about such a personal event. I have had many of my family members seriously affected by or have died from cancer and I know how hard it is to go through that. You are so strong and brave for being exposed to the horrific effects of cancer at such a young age. You will see her again in heaven.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. From reading this,I can tell she was an amazing mother and cared for you and your family. Thank you for sharing this painful story. I hope she is in heaven and you can be reunited with your angel.

-Joseph Madere Period 1

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry that this happened to you, especially at such a young age. I know how it feels to have someone extremely close to you be taken by cancer, my grandmother, whom I loved like she was my mother, passed away from a form of breast cancer that spread back in 2008. I was devastated, so I truly can empathize with how you felt when your mom passed. However, I also commend you for being strong enough and brave enough to post your story, as I know not many people would be willing to do so. I know that I wouldn't. I just know that you will see your mom again, someday.
-Carianne Lefebvre Period 1

Unknown said...

Wow I don't even know where to start. I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I cant even imagine how that feels I know it was very hard especially at a young age. I pray for nothing for the best!

Noah said...

I am so sorry about your loss Andrea. That was very strong of you to share your story and I wish you and your family the best.

Avalon Freeman said...

This was so touching. My heart hurts and I can’t imagine what you’ve feel put they diction used helps me to understand more. This story is so personal and you’ve put yourself out there and showed how much of a strong and amazing person you are.
Avalon Freeman
Pd.2

Destiny Freeman said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story, Drea! I could never imagine enduring in such a great loss at such a young age. You are truly an inspiration for persevering through all of the hardships. You are such a brave soul for being so expressive and vulnerable on such a sensitive topic like cancer, you and your family are in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story about your mom. Your mom was never taken for granted. Instead, she instilled in you optimism in which you have held onto throughout her fight and your journey.
-Stephanie Valdovinos
p.1

Anonymous said...

As I muster up the words to describe how I’m feeling whilst in tears, I first of all want to say thank you. Sharing this with people you are not close with can be a tough thing. CANCER IS THE WORST, and I am so sorry that your family had to experience it. Like many others said, you are so strong for being able to speak about this and how it affected you at such a young age. You made this situation end on a positive note and it’s great to see how well you are carrying on your mom’s legacy! She continues to live through you and the rest of your family each and every day! You conveyed all your feelings and emotions so well, bravo!

- Jennifer Kirksey (Period 5)

Anonymous said...

I felt your pain while reading this. Thank you for sharing something so personal, you are so strong and being able to see something positive in the end is beautiful.

Jenny Anyaogu said...

I'm in tears. I've lost my grandpa which still haunts me to this day, but I can't even BEGIN to imagine how you feel losing the woman who gave you life. You are a warrior and I applaud you for continuing to live for your mother. Thank you so much for sharing this story. I was relieved when I read she was cancer free but immediately felt my heart drop when you all found out she had died. My emotions are all over the place, but again, I want to thank you for allowing us to read and react to your personal life.

Anais Moran said...

How do I even comment, I don't handle emotions well and I have never lost anyone close to me. I felt very out of place reading this chapter of your life, because of those attributes I have. But hearing you eloquently express positivity after such travesty is incredibly inspiring. If you can overcome that, honestly nothing can stop you. <3

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you get this a lot when telling people this story, but you have my condolences for your loss. Nobody should have to experience losing a parent at such a young age, but it is good to know that you found some semblance of meaning after a terrible event. From what you've mentioned about her, I'm sure your mother is a person who wouldn't want her death to loom over you for too long and that you realized the importance of living life to the fullest everyday as you mentioned at the end. Your mother's memories and love live through you and your family and I'm sure she is proud of what you've become over the years. It takes strength to share such a personal story with us and I thank you for doing so.

- Justin Presto (Per.1)

Anonymous said...

This piece really made me tear up. You're such a strong individual for being able to cope with a situation like this and I have SO much respect for you. The love you have for your mother is incredible. I'm sorry you had to go through that pain, but I know your mother is proud of everything you've accomplished. Thank you for shedding light on taking people for granted, because we never know what life has in store for us.