Pages

Monday, March 19, 2018

" How to Take Care of a Dog with Megaesophagus" by Megan J



Megaesophagus is a relatively common condition found in dogs, and in some cases, cats and humans. With this condition, the esophagus is enlarged and cannot function as it is supposed to in transporting food and liquid to the stomach. As a result, the food and liquid ingested is often regurgitated. Some dogs may grow out of it, but as of right now there is not a surgical fix or cure. If not dealt with properly, the condition can be fatal. The only reason why I would ever know any of this is that one of my dogs, Cooper, was born with megaesophagus. He is a playful, sweet, stubborn, 7 month old German Shepherd. However, he has a tendency to make life just a little harder in my house- but it’s all worth it. If you ever find yourself with a dog that has megaesophagus, these steps and tips should help.

Supplies:
      Dog/puppy
      1 enlarged esophagus
      A good veterinarian
      Bailey chair
      Baby wipes
      Blender
      High calorie dog food
      Slippery elm
      Water dispenser that is light and easy to move
      Paper towels
      Floor cleaner (carpet, tile, etc.)
      Couch covers
      Spot cleaner

Step 1: Finding out your dog has megaesophagus
Megaesophagus can be congenital or develop over time, so even adult dogs can develop it. My family discovered that Cooper had megaesophagus when we took him to the vet because he had been throwing up excessively every time he ate or drank water. It is vital to catch megaesophagus quickly; if the dog is just regurgitating all of its food and water, it is not receiving the nutrition and hydration it needs to live. Some signs and symptoms include vomiting, coughing, weight loss, poor growth, and an increase in respiratory noise (heavy breathing). If your dog shows any of these signs, it is a good idea to take them to a vet as soon as possible. At the vet, a physical examination will be performed and the vet will try to rule out all other illnesses and diseases that involve vomiting.

Step 2: Figuring out what diet is best for your dog
With megaesophagus, your dog will not be able to eat ordinary dog food; it will have to be soft and usually blended. First, you must find an amount of food that is suitable for your dog. For Cooper, my family tried different amounts until we found what was best for him. If there is too much food, your dog will regurgitate it almost immediately after he is done eating. Cooper has 150 grams of high calorie dog food, which is blended into a powder, twice a day. When one cup of warm water and slippery elm (an herb that helps with digestion) are added, it forms a slurry. This is easy for him to eat and he loves it.

Step 3: Feeding




Typically, feeding a dog is easy. A dog with megaesophagus, on the other hand, is not so much. In order to make sure their food is able to move from the esophagus to the stomach, the dog has to eat in an upright position. If they do not, the food will get stuck in the esophagus and will get regurgitated. To solve this issue, my family got a Bailey chair, which is essentially a high-chair for dogs with megaesophagus and other similar conditions. Cooper eats his food in the Bailey chair and has to stay in the upright position for twenty minutes so his food can move to his stomach. If you have a puppy that is light, you can hold them in the upright position for twenty minutes. Once the twenty minutes are up, make sure all other dog food bowls are off the ground, or else your dog may try to eat it.

Step 4: Cleaning up after your dog
I’ve learned the very hard way that having a dog with megaesophagus is very messy. Almost every morning, I come downstairs to find that Cooper has thrown up at least once. If this happens with your dog, grab a few paper towels or cloth towels (remember to wash them, or else they will not smell very pleasant). Once picked up, get a good floor cleaner or all purpose cleaner (Odoban works well) and spray it in the area. Then, wipe the floor with a paper towel. If the dog regurgitates on carpet, it is important to have a carpet cleaner. Use a wet cloth to clean up the vomit, then use the carpet cleaner on the area. My dogs sleep on our couches, so we have couch covers that protect them from Cooper. If he throws up on the couch cover, we first use a Bissell spot cleaner and then simply throw them in the washer and dryer.

Step 5: Keeping your dog healthy
            It is of utmost importance that you make sure your dog stays a healthy weight. You should regularly weigh your dog to see if they are a suitable weight for their age and breed. At night, remove any water dispensers or bowls from their reach. This is very important because if your dog drinks too much water or regurgitates excessively, they can inhale it and develop aspiration pneumonia. If there is an increase in regurgitation, coughing, or difficulty breathing, go to a vet immediately. Occasional trips to the vet are necessary when your dog has megaesophagus, just to ensure that your dog is healthy.

Cooper and I wish you the best of luck if you ever have a dog that has megaesophagus!


26 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first approached this post, I had no idea what megaesophagus was, but after reading this how-to thoroughly I feel very enlightened. What made this how-to most effective are steps and details included that were very precise, down to the kinds of carpet cleaner, how to make your dog's food, and especially in describing what the condition is and how it affects dogs. This piece is very well done as it flows perfectly from what to feed your dog to how to actually feed your dog. Great work!!

Anonymous said...

Poor little puppy, it must be hard for him and for your family to deal with condition, but I'll keep your tips in mind if I happen to have a dog with this condition. Great job! Also, hopefully Cooper will grow out of this!

Anonymous said...

awww poor puppy! This honestly caught my attention because I have two German shepherds and I absolutely love them so much. I really love reading this to be able to learn more about what they possibly have and how to care of them. This was very well organized and detailed

Brett Dashinsky said...

Thank you for posting this because in a matter of fact my dog has been throwing up for months now and we took him to the vet but they couldn't figure out what was wrong. So this is definitely something to look into.

Lauren Elizabeth Wright said...

Awwwww what a sweetheart! I really enjoyed reading this and I loveeee that you included pictures of Cooper! Props to you for being a loving owner and taking care of Cooper so well. He’s so precious.

Unknown said...

I've never felt so happy and sad at the same time. Even though I've had multiple dogs and puppies, I hadn't heard of Megaesophagus. I will make sure to keep on the look out for such signs to make sure that I take care of all my little puppy pals. I also appreciate the pictures of your pet because usually when people hear of pets with illnesses or that require more work, they automatically think that the pet should be put to sleep. I appreciate the care that you have for you adorable puppy! Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I have a 7 week old German Shepherd but it does not have megaesophagus! But i still found this How To to be very informative and helpful! I loved the detail and depth you put into explaining what the condition was and how to deal wit it!
Diego Armando Carrillo P.1

Unknown said...

wow can I just say that your dog looks so cute in that chair!! I know this post isn't about the chair but I had just had to say it. Aside from the cuteness I have never heard of this before and I'm glad I'm informed about this. You organized this really well made it very detailed which is also why I loved it so much!

Anonymous said...

i like how you show how important it is to take care of a puppy/dog. some information like the megaesophagus i had no idea about. just making sure the puppy is healthy and happy is my favorite part though cause who doesn't like a happy puppy.

Elaine Molina said...

I want to start by saying your puppy is precious, and I admire the attention and care you give to him despite his condition. I'd never heard of this before, but now that I'm aware I feel like researching even more about conditions in pets, seeing as I have several pets of my own. This blog post was informative and interesting, and I enjoyed that you brought in personal experience to educate others on how to treat dogs with Megaesophagus.

Katarina Shieh said...

I remember seeing videos of dogs with megaesophagus in their feeding chairs and thought it was the cutest thing ever. However, I've never understood how difficult it would be to take care of a dog with a constantly high medical bill. Thank you for sharing your insight and the cute pictures of your dog!!! :-)

Brianna Icamen said...

AWWWWWWW Cooper is so cuteeeeeee. I really appreciate you for sharing this information with us and I admire the love you have for him despite his condition. Going into this, I didn't know what Megaesophagus was. I learned so much about the condition and how to care for a pet that has it. Thank you so much for educating us and for sharing pictures of Cooper.

Unknown said...

First off: your dog is adorable! I was intrigued by your post due to the mention of a dog and "megaesophogus." I originally had no idea what megaesophogus was, so I got curious and decided to find out by clicking your post. You explain the condition very well and are very informative. To share pictures of your dog as well as your own experiences dealing with him also made the post very fun to read. Nice job!

Unknown said...

I really appreciated reading this; I had no idea what megaesophagus was until I read your post. Your dog Cooper is absolutely precious, he looks so adorable. It sounds very complicated to take care of a dog with this kind of condition and I'm sure it takes a lot of patience. This post was very informative; thank you for sharing Cooper with us!!

Anonymous said...

This was such an interesting piece, Megan! If it had not been for this post I never would have known what mega esophagus was. Your interesting introduction paired with your simple steps made for a very informative piece. Although I do not have pets, I now know what to do if I get one in the future that has this condition.

- Jennifer Kirksey (Period 5)

Unknown said...

He is TOO cute! I love hearing you talk about your dog, and he is literally the most precious thing in the world. I love that you and your family give him so much love! You did really well informing readers on Megaesophagus, because I had no idea what it was. Good job Meg!

Ty said...

I didn't even know what megaesophagus was until I read this piece. I love the picture you included, and I could really tell that this step-by-step process is something that means a lot to you, just because of the care you put into writing this piece. Great tutorial, keep being a good dog owner. :)

Anonymous said...

Your dog is so cute! I can agree that having a dog with health issues isn't always easy, but it's wonderful to see how much love and consistency you show to your dog Cooper! I love how informative this post was and I'll know how to take care of my dogs if they ever have Megaesophagus.
Kayla Rangel
P.6

Anonymous said...

Megan, this was so cute and informative. I love the picture you put as well, your pup is so cute. The step by step breakdown of how to take care of a pup like yours was very informational and I love the way that you put so much thought and care into your dog!
- Tori Esquivel P.2

Unknown said...

I never knows what Megaesophagus until this blog was posted but i’m glad you brought awareness to this topic and presented techiniqyes for caring with a dog that has this. This was very informational and im glad your dog has a great owner! Good job.

Anonymous said...


This was such a heartwarming and encouraging post! I am so sorry that your cute little puppy is going through this but I am so glad that your family has learned to adapt to his needs and still make him feel just as comfortable. I love the way you incorporated your own personal story into this How-To and having the courage to open up about it. Cooper's story is so inspiring just knowing that he has such a great family that knows exactly how to care for him and help him grow. Great Job! -Sabrina Wilkerson Per.1

Unknown said...

Like many others I have never heard of this impairment. That's why it is extremely important that you shared this with us. Thank you for teaching us of something of such substance and this also shows how caring of a person you are in general. Great work.

Anonymous said...

Megan this was extremely informative, I had no idea that megaesophagus was a thing. I am happy to see that you are giving an enormous amount of love to your puppy Cooper. Thank you for sharing the picture of cooper with us, he is a very cute doggie.
-Steve Martinez P.1

Anonymous said...

This is so interesting I never thought of a situation like this until now. It’s amazing all the steps that you have to do in order to take care of your dog. That must take a lot of time and effort.
Alaijah Solomon-Jackson
Period 4

Unknown said...

Megan your dog is absolutely adorable and my face immediately lit up with a smile when i saw the picture! I’ve never heard of this condition before and it was so interesting to read about. From this post, I can clearly tell that you’re well informed about this condition and that you are passionate in taking care of your dog. Thank you for sharing this piece!

Unknown said...

I can see through your guide that Cooper is very important to you from the pieces of advice that you derive from experience. Cooper is such an adorable dog; I hope that he stays that with you for as long as he lives. Thanks for the wonderfully done guide on this topic.