Pages

Monday, March 19, 2018

" How to Make Pav Bhaji" by Shayan K


 
The first thing you’re probably thinking after reading the title is, “What in the world is Pav Bhaji?” “Pav” just refers to the bread, and “bhaji” refers to the vegetables that are cooked with spice. Trust me, I know, those are two very funny words that you have probably never even heard of. Although those two words literally translate to, bread and vegetables, it is way more delicious and appealing than what it seems like. Pav Bhaji is a very famous street food in India. I clearly remember seeing people in little carts selling this dish on almost every street when I visited India for the second time. The great thing about Pav Bhaji is that it is a vegetarian dish, which means a larger amount of people are able to appreciate this dish and not be restricted by any strict diets. In addition, you can’t really feel guilty by eating this dish because like I said earlier, it’s literally spiced vegetables and bread.

Well let me go ahead and tell you that this is one of my most favorite Indian dishes out there. I am always astonished over the fact that you can create such an amazing dish by only using these very simple ingredients that are readily available. The first time I had pav bhaji is when I was about 7 or 8, and my grandmother had made it for the family. I was so opposed to trying it at first. It reminded me of those mysterious school lunches that we always saw on television that everyone hated. But after some time, she finally convinced me to try and I instantly fell in love. So I am here to share this amazing recipe with you guys as well! It is so easy!

Ingredients:
      2 tablespoon of Butter
     3 or 4 finely chopped tomatoes
     ½ cup of peas
     1 finely chopped capsicum (also called a bell pepper)
     3 boiled and mashed potatoes
     1 teaspoon salt
     1 cup water
     1 tablespoon chili powder
     ¼ teaspoon turmeric
     3 tablespoons of finely chopped coriander
     1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
     1 finely chopped red onion
     Half a lemon
     Dinner rolls or sliced bread

Directions for Bhaji (spiced vegetables):

1.    Place a saucepan on stove on medium heat.
2.   Place 1 tbsp butter, the chopped tomatoes, peas, bell peppers, and potatoes into the pan.
a.    Make sure to slowly place the ingredients on the pan.
3.   Next, add a half cup of water, cover the saucepan, and let it boil for about ten minutes.
a.    *Pro tip!!!* Periodically stir the contents!
4.   After the ten minutes have passed, mash all of the ingredients together.
a.    You can stop mashing once it reaches a smooth texture.
5.   Now you will add chili powder, turmeric, and coriander.
a.    Let this sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
6.   Place another tablespoon of butter, your ginger-garlic paste, the finely chopped onions, and squeeze your lemon into the pan.
a.    Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
b.   Also, this is where you can add your optional three drops of red food coloring (this gives it that traditional street food look, similar to what you would find in India).
7.   After adding another half cup of water, boil and mash the contents for another five minutes.
8.   Your Bhaji is now complete!

Directions for Pav:
1.        Place a griddle or a normal pan on medium-high heat.
2.   Cut your dinner rolls in half and spread butter on the inside.
a.    If you don’t have rolls, you can also use normal sliced bread!
3.   Place the butter coated bread on the griddle until it is toasted.
4.   Your Pav is now complete!





Now that is all it takes to make authentic Pav Bhaji! The proper way to eat this delicious meal is to dip your toasted bread into the Bhaji and eat it like that! Personally, I tear pieces of the bread into the bowl and eat it with a spoon, but it is totally up to you on how you want to enjoy this delicious dish from India. I really hope you enjoy this dish as it is one of my favorite things to eat!

22 comments:

Yanez Sanchez said...

Your 'how to' quickly caught my attention because i did not know what Pav Bhaji was. Reading through your description on what it is and the ingredients it sounds pretty interesting to try! i loved how you did step by step on how to prepare this dish . Gotta try everything once !!

Unknown said...

Your "how to" was very interesting! I love learning how to make new dishes especially those I have never heard of before. Your description reminded me of when I would spend time learning how to make traditional family dishes with my grandparents too. Thanks for sharing I look forward to trying this delicious recipe sometime!

Anonymous said...

What I really liked the most was how you detailed every step and you gave a story about when you first tried and compared it to looking like school. It actually got me laughing. Great job in your organization and the image of how it's supposed to look like! Erick Gutierrez per. 4

Unknown said...

Hi, Shayan! I’ll definitely be trying this recipe in the future. It sounds so delicious! I like how you added a lot of detail to your recipe. Your recipe seems very easy to follow. It’s simple, but a good kind of simple - one that anyone could follow. Thank you for sharing!

Lauren Elizabeth Wright said...

This looks delicious. The picture you included reminded me of a conversation I was having with my mom the other day; we are Nicaraguan and I was telling her how American food often looks very presentable and appetizing and it isn’t even always that good, but ethnic food is often just a blob of food that doesn’t even look very appetizing, but it tastes AMAZING. Nice job!

Unknown said...

This dish looks and sounds delicious. I like how you explained what it is and the visual aid. I will definitly try it out!

Unknown said...

I always try making different styles of foods whenever I cook and this is perfect. The recipe is simple while also letting someone like myself try a food that is relevant in a culture different than my own.

Anonymous said...

This dish looks amazing Shayan! I enjoyed that you put a description and history behind the recipe. It is personal and not a recipe you looked up. Great job and I might give it a try one day!

-Joseph Madere Period 1

Anonymous said...

This dish sounds so good. Thanks for the quick directions, you made it sound real quick and easy to make. Hopefully I can to make this sometime soon in the future.
Austyn Coleman
Period 1

Unknown said...

What a delicious and amazing dish this is Shayan! I've never heard of Pav Bhaji, but it seems so to truly give an insight to Indian culture and I would love to try to make this dish! Great "How To", Shayan!

Elaine Molina said...

This how to was great! I've had this dish before but didn't know the name, or how easy it would be to make it myself. I can't wait to go try this recipe at home. I loved that it felt as though you were actually telling me how to make it, seeing as you referred to times you've had it and how you eat it.

Brandon Yun said...

Sounds and looks like a delicious dish. Will definitely be trying it in the near future

Unknown said...

You were absolutely spot on in just your first sentence. When I read the title of this piece I said what the heck could Pav Bhaji be? On another note, it doesn't sound half bad and maybe someday ill try it its always interesting to try food from other cultures!

Samantha Sandoval said...

I love the sound of this cultural dish! The name Pav Bhaji intrigues me almost as much as the way you describe the Indian culture behind it. Thank you for an easy and straightforward recipe. It will be very exciting to try this out. :)

Joshua Duque said...

The ability to cook your own cultures food to pass down to future generations is something that is really special and rare. I love trying foods from other cultures and this pav bhaji honestly looks really delicious. The directions were very well written and easy to follow and the pro tip you threw in shows you have made these more than once. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Unknown said...

I actually clicked on your piece because I was intrigued by the name Pav Bhaji and wanted to learn exactly what it was. I'm usually horrid when it comes to preparing food but thanks to your straightforward recipe, I'm willing to try this out.

Mariah Thomas said...

I am not the biggest fan of peas, so I might have to find something else to substitute it with. I also love how this is MEATLESS!!! Cannot wait to try it! Thank you Shayan!

Unknown said...

I was looking at the blog post titles and when I saw "Pav Bhaji"I was like what is this lets a a peaky. Long and behold its an really interesting food dish! I really like how simple this is to create. Im pretty sure it tastes amazing. Nice Job.

Unknown said...

I'll definitely have to try this. I'm not Indian, but as an Asian I'm used to eating all kinds of curries, spices, and sauces (interested in some fish paste or fermented tea leaves, anyone?) so Pav Bhaji sounds right up my alley.

Bezawit Abraham said...

This is so cool Shayan! I really like how clear your instructions are and the pro tips are going to be really helpful. Overall, it sounds like it would be really good and fun to make. Thanks for sharing this cultural dish!

Anais Moran said...

I love trying new food, especially when the recipe is so simple and easy to follow, like yours! Would you recommend it to be more "soupy" or thick,

Anonymous said...

I love Indian food! Now I can make it easily at home. It seems very delicious with your descriptive word choice.