Pages

Monday, April 13, 2015

"An Attempt to Prevent Complacency" by Delia M


Nausea. Sweaty palms. Bags under my eyes that to this day have not gone away. And suddenly, the long monotonous sound of an alarm. The results were in.
I sat outside of the gym with my equally nervous ASB family, attempting some last minute bargaining with some higher omniscient power, promising to become a better person or something in exchange for my position. As if that had ever worked out for me.
And so the process began, as an unnaturally high spirited voice announced the new class officers for 2013 – 2014.
Adrenaline rush. Shock. And then the deflation as I realized my name wasn’t called. I tried to suppress the tears that insisted to materialize. My friends surrounded me to offer their condolences, reassuring me that everything would be okay. And for the most part everything was okay. For the most part.
Running a high school campaign, as trivial as it sounds, and admittedly, is in relation to the grand scheme of things, is one of the most grueling processes I have ever undertaken. I mean realistically, campaigning starts months before an actual election week. I had to spread the word verbally on a weekly basis well before sign-ups for positions even arrived, and believe me, it was incredibly apparent that my peers had virtually no interest in what I had to say. I could actually see their annoyance grow with me as I talked about my upcoming election nonstop, but it was almost impossible for me to stop talking about the one thing that was constantly running through my mind. Anything to get the word out right?
Then came the actual planning of my campaign. Things I was forced to consider include but are not limited to resources, including money, artistic ability, and availability of time, slogans, pop culture references, and of course, differentiation amongst my competitors. All of my ideas were confined to ten posters, one giant banner, six shirts, and unlimited amounts of flyers, pins and ads on social media.
Finally, I went through the actual campaign week which consisted of early morning set up, incessant paranoia, and begging strangers to vote for me. The begging was the absolute worst aspect of this process because people never failed to ask me the one question I wished they wouldn’t. “What are some reasons for why you deserve this position?” How do I even begin to answer that question? Honestly, I don’t. Frankly, I don’t think I deserve anything, I mean really, what makes me so entitled to anything on this earth? But of course I couldn’t say that, so instead I talked about how dedicated and hardworking and awesome I am, and how I promised to improve school events for the upcoming school year. As if it were that simple. As if they actually cared and would actually make the effort to wait in a line to circle my name.
I did everything I was supposed to do, and despite my efforts, I managed to lose my election.
Fast forward to the 2014 – 2015 school elections. The experience remained identical, except this time I actually became a president. ASB president. A middle school dream achieved. How cool.
No, not really. It has its perks, but overall, my year has consisted of dealing with some of the most opinionated and incompetent people I’ve ever met in my entire life. I’ve come to realize that everyone has an agenda, and will try to manipulate you in whatever way is most convenient for them. I’ve had to endure a year in which people blame me for the disappointing school events I said I would improve, when realistically I have absolutely zero influence over how things are actually done at school. But I’ve learned that people aren’t interested in the truth, so I’ve found myself apologizing for decisions that neither ASB students nor I made, simply because it is easier than trying to explain the politics of the education system.
For the longest time, I was under the impression that I wanted to be ASB president. Now, if I had to attend high school for another year, I’m not sure if I would even join the program, much less be president.
And so you see, sometimes what we think we want is actually what ends up hurting us the most. I’ve lost so much of the hope and positivity that existed in my life before I became president. We spend so much time and energy trying to convince ourselves that we’re happier than we really are, and end up being complacent when it comes to the quality of our lives. I encourage everyone to find something that they are passionate about, and to let that passion lead their lives. However, I also urge people to recognize when they exist in less than ideal situations, and to do everything in their power to fix them or remove themselves from them. But that’s just my opinion.  

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your story truly motivated me ! i loved your piece!

imalla ramirez
period 6

Anonymous said...

Wow! I really enjoyed reading your reflection. I loved how you chose to contrast your expectations of presidency with the real experience. It was interesting to see you went from actively, excitedly chasing after the presidency to disillusionment. Through this structure, I could sense your disappointment with the realities of the presidency. We are always enchanted by the reputations and glories of our dreams and goals and we are so entranced by it that when reality is not as we predicted, we can be so crushed. I agree with your message that although it is good to dream and chase after our passions, we must remain realistic so that disappointment does not hit us so hard and crush us.

Danielle Delgado
Period 1
4/21/15

Anonymous said...

I loved your piece, I enjoyed your honesty and could feel your sincerity. I admire your words of encouragement and advice. I definitely will keep your piece in mind. Your piece was so relatable and I liked the message you brought to light. It is easy to convince yourself that you really want something, although the truth reveals it self in the end and like you said the happiness you originally sought after disappears. All in all, amazing job!
Merosa Uiagalelei
Period 5

Unknown said...

As someone who sat in ASB for one year, and left not wanting to return, this story is very relatable to me. It is often that people's expectations are set too high, and they are frequently disappointed with how things turn out. This is very much the way that I felt about ASB, it was fun while I was there and I thoroughly believed that it was something I wanted to do, until I stopped doing it. Looking back it was mostly a waste, sure I met a few people who I occasionally talk to today, but for the most part I learned nothing and gained nothing from spending a year of my life. On top of that, the people in the program influenced me to act in a way that looking back, I find to be ridiculous and unbelievable. In your story I loved how you underlined these feelings. Expressing clearly your sadness at not winning a position for 2013-2014, underlining how much the election and the position meant to you, and how much you believed that It was something that you would love, and finally transitioning to your regret and realization that in retrospect it wasn't at all what your middle school self had dreamt it would be. Overall a very well done story!

Anonymous said...

Delia, it is very rare that a blog post will actually change my perspective on a real life situation and this one takes the cake. Your impactful writing and ability to recall past events in an engaging way was one aspect that made your point come across. As a student who isn’t involved in school politics, I have an extremely different perspective from those who are and it is very true that people often times blame others who have no control over what’s happening, so it gave great insight to what it is like behind the scenes. Your message of living passionately is one that I completely agree with. Great job! P.S. Thanks for being ASB President for this year, for the record, I think you did an awesome job!!!

Isabelle Huynh
Per.1

Unknown said...

Well I guess being the president did have some perks because it taught you this lesson. I really enjoyed the lesson you said and it definitely gave me a new insight to ASB. Still I think this piece was well written and I like how you showed how much it mattered to you the first time you ran, and then the second time how you wish you had lost again afterwards.

Anonymous said...

Wow Delia. I was hooked throughout your piece. I enjoy how you used your real life experience to show how your ambition drive slowly dwindled away. As a student at this school, I can agree on how as peers we blame ASB for not living up to the expectations of many events such as rallies and senior shirts. I personally do not know the politics behind how we get certain activities, so like many others, I tend to blame ASB. The structure of the piece allows the reader to see how the ambition began to wear off since you did not have control over the things you really wanted to accomplish. I also enjoyed how you threw out the harsh realities of the position you achieved. How the people you work with weren't as cooperative as you thought they would be and instead the are incompetent. I can see how your middle school dream wasn't really cut out to all it was supposed to be. I liked the ending statement on how you said that we should be passionated but we shouldn't be unaware of how things can actually turn out to be. Good job Delia! :)
Simran Bajwa
Period 1

Unknown said...

Your reflection was very good. It shows how sometimes the things you want the most end up becoming a burden. I really liked how you descibed the strugges you faced and how it really changed your perspective on becoming ASB president. To be honest, i complained about some of the things that ASB has done, but after reading this, I understand how tough of a job it it can be. Also, I liked how you told the reader to let your passion of something lead your life, but to remember how things don't always go as planned. Great work!

Anonymous said...

A good message saying to follow your dreams and passions, overall a great story.
Melvin Sanchez
Period 6

Unknown said...

What a great reflection. I really enjoyed it. To be honest, I complained about some of the things that ASB has done, but after reading this, I understand that it is a difficult job that is easier said than done. I really liked how you displayed how your expectations were completely different from the reality of the job. You were able to show how your enthusiasm and exciteent of becoming ASB president was able to become frustration and disapointment. Also, I liked the message of leting your passion leading your life, but at the same time being aware that not everything is ideal. Itis great advice to many people. Overall great job and keep it up!

Jordan Ray said...

I really found your comment in the end, "But that's just my opinion" to be the best part seeing how you really captured your personal view of the behind the scenes of how ASB truly works.

Unknown said...

Boo boo, I loved this personal reflection! I really enjoyed the structure, as it very much represents the emotional roller coaster that is ASB. Great way to get across the message, "...sometimes what we think we want is what ends up hurting us the most." Also, I enjoyed the mix of sentence structures. They helped parallel the idea that we were hearing your thoughts authentically!

Fernando Mauri P1 said...

As I have previously told you, I love your passion. Your diction is incredible and sophisticated, but it doesn't detract from its relatability, and I honestly had no clue that you were unsatisfied. I cannot help but feel terrible that you've been boxed in such a position, but your advice is sound, and is evidence that while the experience may have been overwhelmingly negative, it helped you develop. I hope for the best.

Sophia Rivas said...

It's always disheartening when we finally achieve something that you've worked so hard for and then realize it is not what you really wanted. The good thing about it is that you know for sure that it's not for you instead of going throughout your life wondering if it would have been. Sophia Rivas Period 5

Anonymous said...

What a great piece! I love how you compared your expectations to what it was really like to be ASB President. You showed how you've learned from your experience that not everything will be how you expected it to be, which several people can relate to. The amount of detail and the way you structured this piece helped get your point across. Loved how you made this a way to open readers' eyes to watch out for the things they are striving for and contributed some great advice. Well done!
Idalys Martinez
Period 1

Anonymous said...

Christian Black
4/27/15
Period 1

I really loved that piece Delia. Its really hard to have a dream and work it so hard and for so long and that dream ends up turning into your worse nightmare. It just goes too tell you that not everything is what its cracked up too be. Its just the way life goes sometimes nice. Nice work!

Unknown said...

I really liked your story and its meaning. You encourage the reader to follow their dreams but also present the possible results as well.

Anonymous said...

Ill get to what I didn't like first because I believe we are friends enough to criticize each other's work. Don't end it with "But that's just my opinion". I truly enjoy your no BS style of writing, candid yet intelligent observations, and courage to get publicly introspective. I know you didn't mean for your last line to be an apology but that's how it came off.I think it detracted from your piece.
That aside I connected heavily with your woeful tale of disillusionment. I found myself laughing at myself and how similar my experience has been with things that I was at one time very passionate about. I think in sharing your experiences you also imparted a lot of wisdom. Thanks for your piece.
Adan Chavez
Per. 4

Chris Medina said...

i really enjoyed your reflection and it was really amazing how you connected your own experiences to ASB and i really liked the ending i thought it was funny and a really good example of satire. Your peice was good and i did find it hard to realte to but i could still find my own meaning in that its hard to work with people really great job.

Anonymous said...

When i started reading your story i thought i was the one in it... Your story was really interesting and i like how the story tells you to follow your dreams and how it tells you that you might be able to fail to. its a nice writing. good job!

william bema
per.2

Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for speaking the truth about ASB. I always hate it when people complain about events that you guys work hard on and honestly have no control of. I loved that you showed your misery from the hate, the your indifference towards it. It was satisfying to see your character development through your writing style. I could tell when you were ambitious when you listed all the steps for your campaign. The the tone quickly changed to defeat. It is a great reflection of your own life.

Anonymous said...

Although I do not know how hard it must be to be in ASB, I do know what it's like to put in a lot of hard work to something and then get utterly disappointed by it's results. I agree with you on finding something that you have great passion for and sticking with it. Most people think that doing the things they like the least is the only way to get the things they want the most, but I don't believe that to be true. A good person sticks with the things that they love, and a greater person makes something out of it. Your story is one of many that I will keep at heart about when I think about what really matters in the world.

- Justin Presto
Period 2

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your reflection it was really cool how you connected it to you being in ASB and yes you put a wonderful ending to it i enjoyed made me laugh a lot thought it was funny and you used a very good example of satire you did also use a lot of encouragement towards others thats actually a very nice thing to do anyways good job i enjoyed your blog

Omid/Period4

Unknown said...

Madi Cordura P.1

Hi dels :) I know that you say that you don't really like this piece and that you didn't want me to read it, but I absolutely love it and I will continue to remind you of that. This is truly amazing, yet so saddening at the same time. I love how it gives others some insight as to what it really feels like being in the class, and how ASB can really take a toll on you. And how you get blamed for things that you have no control over; but you always handle things so well. I love this so much because I can feel every word that you wrote and it really captures you and how you feel. I love it :) and I love you!!

Unknown said...

Isn't that interesting? That whole irony of dissatisfaction after fulfilling some self set aspiration. It's almost as if we live to achieve, but once we do so, its meaningless- pointless. The whole thing is absurd. We're too focused on the overarching image and forget to enjoy the subtleties that come along with it, and blind ourselves from any other possible diverging path- as if that is not what we want, or that is not what is correct; therefore, I cannot enjoy it. You putting it onto such a personal scale makes it more apparent, the extremely expansive existential dilemma we all face in one form or another. I really appreciate that- that you blatantly signify that what our desires are may not always be what’s healthiest. You're a fantastic writer, I would like to read some fiction one day- if ever.

Mahlon Howard said...

Great job with this. It shows how difficult it is to be under immense pressure, especially at such a young age. I can only imagine the stress you have to deal with on a daily by being ASB president (especially at Etiwanda). Everything we do in life is for our own self gain but once we have accomplished said goals, we devalue what we have. And our ambitions may not always be for the best. So good job keep up the good work

Mahlon Howard
Period 4

Unknown said...

Delia, I really appreciate that you stepped up to talk about how hard ASB works. It really bothers me when people do not appreciate the hard work and the long hours ASB puts into the events that occurs at out school. Great job on this piece!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this! I loved your use of detail, imagery, complex diction. The story was great, and also relatable. You captured your determination well in this story. Great job!
Kaleha Spencer
Period: 4

Unknown said...

This piece stung like a thousand hornets. The animosity and disgust you have for the position was fully realized in this short piece. Well done in making this piece sharp and fiery.