Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

"The Torture of Nikols", by Andrew R.



Journal Entry No. 34

December the 24th, 1692
I am not a religious man. Forgive me if I offend, but I have seen all there is to see during my time on this world, and I now understand the true cruelty that can be instilled upon a single being. I wish to recount the tale of my brother, Nikols, so as to enlighten the public to the reality of our world. Once again, forgive me if this offends or disturbs, but I feel it my duty to tell it to you as he wrote to me on that dreadful winter night:

“I cannot stay long, dear brother, they wait for my return. But I must tell you the truth of my disappearance. I suffer a fate far worse than that of Atlas or Tantalus. I would rather have an eagle rip my innards out each night, as Prometheus has done upon him, than to suffer the pains that I must endure for the rest of eternity. I was kidnapped, dear brother, and given an elixir that, I believe, impedes the work of time. Each day, I am bound in chains and hobbled so that I cannot run away. I am forced to create tools of torture for my captors, and am only given a minute’s rest to drink appalling milk from the creatures’ animal pets and stale crackers that taste of vomit and refuse. They force me to wear a bloodied coat (presumably from their last captive) that is far too big, so they stuff my face with raw meat at the end of each day and whisper, “Fatten you up”. Each night, I am thrown into an icy cave, and expected to sleep, though my eyes cannot rest a second as I can hear my tormentors whispering in an unknown language. My tormentors never show their faces, as they wear dark pointed hoods that cover their entire bodies, all except for their teeth, which are pointed and layered, like that of a shark. I do not believe these creatures to be human; they are much smaller in stature, though I assure you they are quite terrifying, capable of inflicting immense pain, both physical and emotional. I repeat this schedule three hundred and sixty four times. Each day I think the relief of death will present itself to me, but each day my body continues living. After the cycle of three hundred and sixty four, the schedule changes. I am no longer a worker, I am now a transmitter, a means for which these creatures to send their inhumane weaponry to unsuspecting men, women, and children. I break into their homes and leave one of the creatures’ torture devices. I cannot be sure, but I believe that they have a plan to influence the young minds of the world, and, inevitably, bring torture, cruelty, and grotesque acts of violence to all who inhabit the Earth. And I, their unwilling captive, must comply out of fear. So I am sorry brother. I am sorry for what is to come. It was never my intention, but these creatures only target esteemed individuals with the ability to love. Perhaps it was when the people of our town began calling me Saint Nicholas, that my fate was sealed. I can hear my captors calling for me now. Please forgive me. I must be off.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night…
Santa Claus

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

This kind of got me confused but the story was good and the fact that you talked about Santa's story was good so good job.
Kamau O
P.2

Unknown said...

Holyy…..I REALLLLLY LOVED THIS PIECE ANDY. Excellent job! While I was reading it, I had this intense face on and I just wanted to read more and more…The way you alluded to people and provided metaphors made this piece all the more greater! The structure was absolutely perfect & the format too! Also, your use of descriptive imagery was mind blowing. I was picturing everything as I was reading. It’s actually quite funny how you took the idealized figure to children, Santa, and changed the narrow minded impression we have on him! You were able to twist the idea of Santa & make it sadistic and dark, yet relate it to society in some way. Imagine. If all the children in the world took into account what you have written about! That would be sooo intense! Andy, honestly, you are such a great writer and I just love how this piece is nothing like one I have ever read before, making it all the more special! Again, phenomenal job!

Unknown said...

This is a great story, very well thought out. The letter format creates a realistic atmosphere. I admire how you recreate the classic idea of Santa Claus and turn it into a dark, tormented twist. The Diction in this piece definitely establishes a sinister tone, along with making Santa claus come off as a real captured human being tormented, and these are actual letters from him. I love how this story parallels to the angelic idea of santa claus, but is the total opposite, ( he builds and delivers items for families like Santa, but builds weapons and is forced to do it against his will by creatures with sharp teeth)

Unknown said...

I love the allusions throughout the story and I love the plot twist at the end of the story. I honestly thought that Nikols was in trouble and in the end it turns out that he is Santa and he calls the shots. It was an act of pure imagination. Good job!

Anonymous said...

I love stories that make the reader want to go back and reread with a new found knowledge of the material. This was one of those stories. I was very confused as to what was going on and did not pick up on any of the allusions you had included in regards to the Christmas Myth of Santa Claus. there were a few issues I found with your verb tense that , if corrected, could help your story become more clear.
Adan Chavez
Per. 4

E said...

I loved your story!! You did such an amazing job. Your words were so fluent and smooth as you read. You did an amazing job alluding to Christmas and also Prometheus to where the reader at first does not realize what the you are alluding to until they read that last line "Merry Christmas, and to all a good night..." Once the reader reads that last line in hits the reader and they quickly go back to see what they missed. Again you did an amazing job and I loved it!
Eva Badal
Per. 1

Miranda Santos said...

I loved this story. I really like how you created a version of Santa Claus that was dark and twisted and how it contrasts with the common idea of Santa being jolly and bright, enjoying what he does and not being forced to do it. The descriptions and imagery used creates a twisted image and a dark tone, with I really enjoyed. Great job!
P4

Anonymous said...

OOOOH! OOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH! Well that was unexpected, to say the least! I uh... god. Okay. Phew. I didn't think I would be that surprised by something here but... oh nelly. Jumping jahosafat. Excellent job on creating enough of a surreal atmosphere to distract the reader from dwelling on the possibility that reveals itself at the end (the mentioning of the teeth did this well) and for doing a swell job on just... everything. Thank you for saving me, baby.
Charles Purcell
Period 5

Unknown said...

Hey Andy, this was a really great piece. I love the irony you inputted into your story about Santa Claus. I think it was a great interpretation of the mystery of Santa Claus and I enjoyed the fact that you took it in such a dark perspective and attributed it to the "most jolly man on earth". My favorite part of this was how you took all the little elements that are typically and universally known to be associated with Santa and twisted each to become gruesome and nauseatingly raw like his "bloodied coat" or the "torture devices" he must give away.The allusions and the imagery the letter included at first took me aback, but once it was revealed who the letter was I finally caught the humor (though very sadistic). Good job!

Anonymous said...

I rather enjoy this piece how well thought out and how we would expect Santa Clause would all happy and kind but instead he is a dark and mean person like the complete opposite.
Period 6

Anonymous said...

Whoa. Such a dark interpretation of the mystery around Santa Claus. Your piece really sucked me and the details you provide created a very vivid image of Nikols and his environment. I like the dark twist you gave to all the iconic Santa symbols such as his red coat and the milk-and-cookies ritual. I could feel as though I was there with poor Nikols and could feel his fear and misery; your use of allusions in the beginning made these emotions all the more clear. The little hints you dropped about his identity through out the piece made it all the more thrilling and interesting. Awesome story!

Danielle Delgado
11/19/2014
Period 1

Mahlon Howard said...

Period 4
Just as I'd expect from Andy. Awesome job with this story I really enjoyed the mystery within the letter and had some good foreshadowing just with the date of the letter. This was overall a very dark and ominous interpretation of Santa and attacks the fairy tale happy ending that we all know and love, but in a good way. Every line left bits that led up to the plot twist of who the speaker was and it was great. Good Job Andy.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS CRAZY AND JUST UGHHHH HOLY COW!!!! This was really good, ill never think of santa the same ever again. I love the darkness in such a friendly and happy character. GREAT JOB!!!
Period 2
Andrew Hernandez

Unknown said...

I think this story is really funny because you actually took the time to build a background with no holes for a very well known holiday character who's portrayed as jolly and loving. I wish that Santa Claus did something to deserve this fate because you used allusions to Atlas and Prometheus who were both punished for going against Zeus. I also wish that you included the reindeer in somehow since you did such a good job with everything else, especially with diction. The vivid, dark imagery makes me chuckle because I've always enjoyed my yearly "torture devices". His captors know me very well I guess. You are very talented and very creative, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Andy, although you don't know who I am, know this. I applaud to you, good sir, on your delightfully twisted and new version of the origins of Santa Claus. You grabbed my attention with the beginning of the story dating Christmas Eve of 1692 and had me so intently focused by your description of the poor old man and his rather unfortunate situation. The details you told about his experience made me really look at a different angle on how stories can be told. Good job man.

Justin Presto
Period 2

Unknown said...

The reversal of the expected roles really exhilarated me. In children’s stories, Santa is always portrayed as a good boss and his elves as his faithful helpers. However, the reader slowly realizes that he is not doing this out of his own heart’s desire. All preconceived notions of this story proceed to fall apart. The descriptions of the elves and the allusions are both extremely useful in helping the reader put the “real” Santa Claus into perspective. You wrote an excellent entry that builds a stunning story from the ruins of a popular legend. I encourage you to create more amazing stories with this incredible talent that you demonstrate.

Unknown said...

I remember you telling me to read this in Jazz and it was really good. Reading it again it still has that same effect. Throughout the whole thing it does not really make any sense until that last little part when you realize Nikols is Santa. It's really good twist and I can't believe I'm saying this Andy but I have to admit you did really well with this one.

Anonymous said...

I am literally crying of laughter after reading this. This was brilliantly humorous, written in a very serious and tense tone. The irony in that itself was extremely witty. It takes an innocent and popularized concept and corrupts it to its core. It brings out the vulgarity the potential of those concept hold, and it explicates it with absolute detail. Excellent job.
Thuy Cao
Period 1

chris medina said...

Andy this was really good i have never thought of santa claus in that way, it was completely different from anything I've ever read. i really liked the how you made humans the savages and monsters of your poem and how Santa was the victim. That perspective had never crossed my mind and to was one of the best stories I've read on the blog. i liked the imagery that you used and it really enriched letter really good job can't wait to read more of your work.