Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

"Comedy" by Alan M.


I recently went to an E.P.I.C. performance, it was called CLUB 799, the acting club played a series of improve games, played by two different teams. I sat through an hour and a half trying to keep my bladder form exploding. The performers repeatedly made joke after joke with such ease. I sat through the performance, thinking to myself: “If I was up there, would I have come up with something that funny?” My mind began to run, trying to beat the performers to the punch line. My punch lines did not seem to be funny in my head so I gave up. I then asked myself: “What makes people comedic?” I believe I found the answer. I compared the performers and myself, noticing a few differences between ourselves. The first difference I noticed was their energy that they projected. The performers walked out onto the stage and immediately caught everyone’s attention. It was nearly impossible to ignore them; they captured the audience and me simply with their presence. I reflected on my life, realizing that I did not have that stage presence.  The second difference that caught my attention is that the performers did not seem to care what others thought of them. Most people analyze what they are about to say, but not comedians. They flat out speak their mind, if it sounds ridiculous they continue on with their thought.  This difference was not the solution to the problem, but it was very significant in making funny people.  The spontaneity that came out of their mouths seemed to work most of the time. The third thing I notice was that the performers constantly smiled and laughed when they spoke. Like they say, “laughter is contagious” it spread throughout the audience.  Even though their comment did not amuse many at first, they began to smile and chuckle. The crowd then responded by imitating the laughter that the performers presented. Comedic people seemed to not care about other’s opinions, have an amazing stage performance, and obtain an ability to spread laughter. The aspect of comedy continues to baffle me, but I got some insight into how to be funny. I will put these abilities into my life to help and make my life more interesting. Another thing I noticed from the E.P.I.C. performers is that they appeared to be happy with their life because they could relieve their stresses by simply making a joke of whatever they pleased. Attempting to become funny or comedic will not be an easy task due to the fact that most of us are not and may never be comfortable stepping out of their comfort zone and embrace new ways of living. Those who can get up in front of an audience are very courageous and have my respect, since I am not one to be able to perform in front of people, especially comedy. The secret to becoming funny is unknown to me, but I am now a step closer to achieving a goal.

12 comments:

Adriene Mamaril said...

Alan, I totally get you! at times, I do wonder how people come up with hilarious things Anyways, I liked how you were very detailed throughout your story. It gave me some incite on what went on in the performance. Don't worry Alan, you are a step closer to your goal. Actually, I think you are closer because you make me laugh in Anatomy everyday. You did an amazing job!!

Anonymous said...

Alan, this was quite an interesting piece. I like how you took a topic as common as comedy and laid it bare. I find it odd that as prevalent as comedy is within our daily lives, we hardly ever take the time to ponder why it exists. I feel your assessment was highly accurate: comedy is complex, multifaceted, and even difficult. I admire your willingness to attempt to integrate more comedy into your own life because the fact is, we all need to learn how to laugh at ourselves at times. Nice job!

-Christina Tapia

Unknown said...

Great observations, Alan! I have once thought of this question before as well, but didn't come up with any good results. As I read through the different points you've pointed out, I realized that they were all fairly true, and I just haven't looked in detail before. Thanks to this, I believe all of its readers are a step closer to knowing "how to be funny." Good job!
-Ben Chang

Anonymous said...

It is as if you have read my mind! I often think to myself what it takes to be an actor and how EPIC people are so hilarious. I enjoyed reading about your experience at the show and getting to hear another person's opinion. You made some pretty accurate observations and I definitely agree with all your points. Good job Alan.

- Alexandra Aguilar

Anonymous said...

It is also a mystery to me concerning how those witty performers come up with jokes. But it is a pleasure to get to hear an audience member's perspective of our E.P.I.C. shows and I am super glad to hear that it was so thought provoking. Thank you for writing Alan.
- Jack McDonald

Anonymous said...

I really liked the part where you outlined the differences between yourself and the people you viewed to be comedic. I thought this wright was going to be funny when i opened it but it actually struck very true to me.
- Percy Starks

Unknown said...

After reading this, I began to question whether I found myself comedic or not. For the record, I'm not AHAHHA! I'm glad that you find yourself one step closer to reaching your goal in finding out the secret to becoming funny. I have no doubt that you're funny too; humor is subjective! Although you may not present yourself in the way the performers do, you do have other qualities that make you, too, comedic. However, if you're still searching for the answer, I do hope you find your answer in the future! Good job on your piece, by the way! (:

Unknown said...

"Another thing I noticed from the E.P.I.C. performers is that they appeared to be happy with their life because they could relieve their stresses by simply making a joke of whatever they pleased." I liked this sentence you wrote in this paragraph. This impression that we get from these comedians and jokers in our lives is that they're happy with themselves and satisfied with their lives. I've noticed this kidding around to be a defense mechanism for many. Often the funniest people in our lives have gone through tougher than most experiences in their lives. They do this subconsciously to help themselves and make jokes out of anything in life. It's better to laugh at unfortunate events in your life than cry about them. The secret to being funny is to know which opinions to acknowledge and which opinions of others to not care about. Just stop thinking every once in a while and just do--just act.

Unknown said...

"Another thing I noticed from the E.P.I.C. performers is that they appeared to be happy with their life because they could relieve their stresses by simply making a joke of whatever they pleased." I liked this sentence you wrote in this paragraph. This impression that we get from these comedians and jokers in our lives is that they're happy with themselves and satisfied with their lives. I've noticed this kidding around to be a defense mechanism for many. Often the funniest people in our lives have gone through tougher than most experiences in their lives. They do this subconsciously to help themselves and make jokes out of anything in life. It's better to laugh at unfortunate events in your life than cry about them. The secret to being funny is to know which opinions to acknowledge and which opinions of others to not care about. Just stop thinking every once in a while and just do--just act.

Akelah Adams said...

This was an interesting observation! I often have similar thoughts on this topic and I'm glad that you decided to share it. You did a good job analyzing what it takes for a comedian to actually achieve being a comedian. I really loved the ending sentence; I think that was a great way to end it.

Unknown said...

Alan you are a comedian to me ! Maybe you cannot see how funny you are but I certainly can! But I did enjoy your piece because it pays respects to the comedians that have the courage to go up and preform in front of others. I agree with you in the points that you made in what it takes to be a true comedian, and I believe that one day, you can achieve it!

Katherine Celume said...

Interesting reflection Alan! Comedy is truly much more complicated than many believe; especially when performed. The person or comedian has to have a certain level of confidence and spontaneity in order to be funny or have an effect. For some, passing the gift of laughter comes naturally, but with small attempts and consistency, I'm sure you can gradually ease your way out of your comfort zone, and into obtaining that "stage presence" which will may help you solve the mystery of being funny!