Pages

Monday, November 2, 2020

“THIS IS HALLOWEEN” by Jessica H

      Everyone has heard of this notorious song from the Nightmare before Christmas. The on slaught of repetitions of “This is Halloween’s” almost serves as a yearly alarm clock, warning us of the quickly approaching winter, of another year gone by, of the beginning of a new holiday season. For some, this may just be a slightly unpleasant experience as holiday songs start to get stuck in their heads for the umpteenth time. For others, this holiday is a celebration of their lifestyle, a central part of their self-identity. And still yet for others, this may just be a chance to score some free candy. For me, it has always been a holiday shrouded in mystery, literally. I had never really understood the hype of it. How has an outdated holiday about scaring away spirits, a macabre holiday celebrating fear, the unknown, and death gained so much cultural relevance,especially in a time in which the majority of the population does not believe in the undead anymore?

      If you were to explain Halloween to someone completely oblivious of its cultural background and significance, you may start by off defining its origins in Ireland, where in Celtic tradition,people drove away mischievous spirits on All Hallow’s Eve, a time in which they believed that the souls of the dead would come to back Earth and the souls of the newly dead would journey on to the afterlife (“Halloween”). However, Europeans were not the only ones fascinated with death. For example, ghosts and spirits have been recognized, celebrated, and feared in African,Asian, and Hispanic cultures as well. From a pragmatic standpoint, this kinda makes sense.People used to live such nasty, brutish, and short lives. They arbitrarily died at young ages from diseases, and they blamed it on the supernatural because science, medicine, and germ theory were not mainstream knowledge. It made more sense that there were terrifying ghosts and spirits luring people to their graves on eerie late-autumn nights than invisible microscopic organisms interfering with a person’s homeostasis. In these societies, holidays similar to Halloween held cultural significance because it symbolized their fears of death, which seemed to be lurking around every corner, ready to reap any unsuspecting human souls. It was a mark of the irresistance to death when they lacked other means of deterring it. If they believed that they could ward off spirits by lighting fires and wearing costumes to disguise themselves, it gave them a sense of power in a time in which they felt so vulnerable with their own sense of impending mortality. 

      The person who you are explaining this to might all of a sudden go, “Yeah, that makes sense.But why do we still celebrate it?” On a superficial level, they may have a point. It’s an outdated holiday based on outdated primal human emotions. However, you still have yet to explain the significance this holiday has in our current modern society. Although most people don’t believe in the supernatural or in ghosts or spirits or any impending unexplainable doom, there is a new fear: a fear not of physical death, but of metaphysical death. It is so common for people in our society to be “dead on the inside.” So many people seem to work jobs that they don’t like, or feel like that they are always “burnt out,” or are forced into going to school when they don’t even seethe point of being alive. For a brief day, the spirit of Halloween gives us a vacation from the seemingly pointless institutions that trap us and kill our souls. It allows us to explore the meaning of being alive on a more purposeful level; it gives us a chance to be human in a world that sometimes values us more as cogs in a machine, to explore your individuality, one of the most important parts of being alive, through limitless choice in costume and expression. On Halloween, you can escape all the other hardships that plague your life the 364 days of the year.

 

Works cited“Halloween.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 19 Oct. 2020,www.britannica.com/topic/Halloween.

 

22 comments:

Richelle Mendoza said...

I was just listening to that song! I knew about the cultural background of Halloween but I never knew about "being dead on the inside" meaning. I totally see why we celebrate Halloween now! Walking around in the dark with our costumes makes me feel alive and free. Halloween may now be my favorite holiday. Thanks for the new information!

Madelyn Mejia said...

I loved this! I'm personally a big fan of Halloween and it's one of my favorite holidays as well! I knew a little about the history but I hadn't known about the reasoning for getting dressed up, which makes it so much more cool to me know because it all makes sense! I think your piece was very well written and didn't once feel like it was getting to the point where it lost my interest. It was very interesting overall and I know feel a little more knowledgable :)

Ashlee Mills said...

I really like your piece. I like how you incorporated not only the modern reason as to why Halloween is celebrated, but you also took it back to its origin. I personally didn't even know about the history of Halloween, so this was very informational for me. Great Job :)))

Anonymous said...

jessica, I seriously have never knew the actual meaning behind Halloween until today. You did an amazing job explaining the cultural meman9ng behind it and why we celebrate it. I'm going to share this with my family.

Charmaine Luciano said...

Thank you for sharing the meaning behind Halloween! I like how you highlighted and explained the fear of metaphysical death, and now I’ve learned that dressing up allows people to have that sense of feeling free.

Nguyen Ho said...

I don't really like celebrating Halloween because i and some childhood trauma associate with the day, but this make me gain a sense of appreciation toward the day. thank you <3

Anonymous said...

Wait, so you're telling me that Halloween originated in IRELAND!!! That is something I never knew and found very interesting. This was a very interesting and fun read, so thank you for that. Now I want to go do some more research on Halloween!

Jaden Battee said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog jessica. I first that you were just gonna deliver facts about Halloween, but you exceeded my expectations. You began by telling the purpose of celebrating Halloween in previous centuries to then expressing the purpose of celebrating Halloween today, which informed me on something I never really realized. Good job!

Anel Guizar said...

I really loved your blog! Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and I'm glad I am able to learn more about why we celebrate Halloween and the meaning behind it. It was a very interesting read!

Kailee Mark said...

This is a really great Halloween-y piece! It was very educational, and gave a much deeper meaning to Halloween than it just being a day to dress up and eat candy. The way you applied its cultural significance to the past and present was very illuminating, and I loved the irony behind the fact that Halloween "gives us a chance to be human."

Anonymous said...

I like the twist at the end where you described many people as being "dead inside" due to overworking, I truly agree with that! Halloween is a time for everyone to escape their lives and be what they want to be and embrace a dark side within them. (Leah Thompson)

Enrico Del Rosario said...

Jessica, I LOVED reading your blog. It was so enamoring and not once did I take my eyes off it. Although I knew the historical background of Halloween, I never sought to think of the metaphysical aspect. On Halloween, I could be anything I want, and no one really judges me for it! They know, themselves, it is a day they can take this "break" from reality. Although I do not really celebrate Halloween(although I do take part in the sweeter and creative aspects), thinking about what you've written adds some points to the scoreboard and maybe even pushes it up a little in ranks of my favorite holidays :) Thank you Jessica!!

Emily Brown said...

Reading your article made me realize how little I know about Halloween and its history. You did a great job tying the history of Halloween to the current world and why we still celebrate this holiday. I especially loved the statement towards the end, about how Halloween being an escape from reality by allowing people to dress up and forget their the problems from the real world.

Emily Folkner said...

This article was fascinating as I love learning about the history of Halloween and how it is interpreted in today's society! So far your interpretation has been my favorite! I never even thought to think of it as an escape from the horrors of everyday life rather than a chance to be scared! Overall great article!

Benjamin Galaz Jr. said...

I totally forgot all this! I remember Mrs. Brubaker taught us stuff about Halloween last year but this was a great refresher. Good job!

AnthonyEarl Villegas said...

I really like your article! I also believe that we should care for our mental well-beings and also cherish our moments of respite whether they be our short breaks in between work or entire holidays.

Anonymous said...

I have always been fond of Halloween; however, I never knew the history behind it! This gave me a better perception of what Halloween is all for. You did such an amazing job!

AnthonyEarl Villegas said...

When reading your article, I have to commend your stance on the importance of the metaphysical. Along with this I also believe that we should all cherish our brief moments of respite, be it the short breaks between work or entire holidays :].

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVED the way that this was written and the way that you went into such deep background while still managing to keep your reader engaged! I also enjoyed the addition of your own personal beliefs throughout the article, in addition to tying it back to childhood memories. I also agree that as the years have passed, halloween has become more of an excuse to celebrate and pretend to be someone you are not for a night than anything else. Great Job! - Estella Poirier

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVED the way that this was written and the way that you went into such deep background while still managing to keep your reader engaged! I also enjoyed the addition of your own personal beliefs throughout the article, in addition to tying it back to childhood memories. I also agree that as the years have passed, halloween has become more of an excuse to celebrate and pretend to be someone you are not for a night than anything else. Great Job! - Estella Poirier

Chrissy Lopez said...

Jessica, thank you for this! I feel more informed about Halloween than I did before. Your own interpretation of the holiday we still celebrate today really is thought-provoking and I’d definitely agree with everything you have said!

Lauryn Luera said...

It is crazy how many people celebrate this holiday and many took forward to it all year, but do not really know the history behind it. It interest me how overtime the holiday almost changed its meaning entirely. It has gone from scaring away spirits and such in a literal sense, to a holiday where children dress up and get candy.