Pages

Monday, November 2, 2020

"Spicy Fusilli Recipe" by Chloe P

“How to make Spicy Fusilli” by Chloe Pacle

 

The beginning of quarantine has led me to discover and try out new recipes I usually wouldn’t make. Thanks to social media, I have been able to attempt new and fun recipes that range from desserts to main courses. With all the extra time I had stuck in the house, I was able to distinguish which recipes were worth trying. This Spicy Fusilli recipe is still, to this day, one of my favorites. I originally saw this pasta in Gigi Hadid’s Instagram story, where she cooked it for her and Zayn Malik. You know this pasta is good if Zayn likes it, and if that’s not a good enough reason to give it a try then I don't know what is. This recipe was inspired by the famous “Jon & Vinny’s Spicy Fusilli” that everyone raves over. There were many positive reviews about this restaurant, especially about the Spicy Fusilli. Many people were willing to wait in line outside for this pasta which says a lot, considering the fact that it was in the beginning of lockdown and everyone was paranoid about catching Covid. If people were willing to catch the virus for this pasta, it was only right for me to try it as well. I was very curious and wanted to see what the hype was about. Instead of struggling to get reservations, especially during these uncertain times, I decided to attempt to make my own Spicy Fusilli. A lot of the process was trial and error. I’ve made this pasta several times and received feedback from my family and friends on what ingredients I should add and remove. I narrowed down the recipe to fulfill mine and my family’s stomachs. My altered recipe of the original Spicy Fusilli has allowed me to express my love and appreciation for those around me and brings me joy to see my family thrilled about the dish. Many of my friends get excited when I bring this dish for them to eat and share with their family. I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as I do!

 

Ingredients:

-       ¼ cup olive oil

-       ½ of a finely chopped shallot

-       1 finely chopped garlic clove

-       ½ cup of tomato paste

-       3 tablespoons of vodka

-       1 cup of heavy cream

-       Crushed red pepper

-       Salt and pepper

-       1 pound of fusilli pasta

-       2 tablespoons of butter

-       Parmesan

-       Basil

-       Oregano

-       Chopped mushrooms

-       Brown sugar

-       Parsley

-       Shredded mozzarella

 

Directions:

  1. Add ¼ cup of olive oil to a large skillet on medium heat.
  2. Add shallot and garlic to the pan and stir for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add ½ cup of tomato paste to the pan and stir until caramelized. The color of the paste should be a dark red when it’s ready.
  4. Add 3 tablespoons of vodka and stir until the liquid has evaporated. No, this pasta will not get you drunk because the alcohol is cooked off and that is why it’s important to wait until all the liquid has evaporated. Be sure to let your parents know that the vodka is for cooking purposes only so they won’t be suspicious of you taking their bottle of Ciroc!!!
  5. Add 1 cup of heavy cream and red pepper flakes. Stir until blended. You can add as much red pepper flakes as you want, depending how spicy you want the dish to be.
  6. Add as many chopped mushrooms as you desire.
  7. In a separate pot, boil fusilli pasta until al dente.
  8. Drain the pasta and leave 1 cup of the pasta water to the side.
  9. Add pasta to the large skillet with the sauce.
  10. Cook over medium-low heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter.
  11. Stir while adding the pasta water.
  12. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
  13. Add basil, oregano, parsley, and parmesan. I usually just eyeball the measurements for this part and taste until I get the desired flavor.
  14. Add brown sugar if the pasta ends up being too salty or sour. This is great for balancing out those overwhelming flavors. Start off with 1 tablespoon and add more until you are satisfied with the results.
  15. Plate the pasta, top it off with shredded mozzarella and parsley, and serve.

 

I cannot stress enough how obsessed I was with this pasta. It was so easy to make and tastes like a dish from a fancy Italian restaurant, except you aren’t paying $30 for 4 pieces of noodles. And if you don’t trust my judgement, trust Zayn and Gigi’s!!!

 

 


14 comments:

Unknown said...

Chloe!!! I love your little introduction at the beginning because not only was it convincing but entertaining as well. Plus your directions were very clear and easy to follow that I believe anyone can make this pasta as you've foretold. I can't cook at all, but your words and directions make me feel as though I should attempt this pasta and get to experience how good it really is :).

Madelyn Mejia said...

Chloe!!! I loved your little introduction in the beginning because not only was it entertaining but very convincing as well. Plus, your directions on making the pasta were very clear and understandable that the thought of making this seems just as easy as you've foretold. Personally, I'm not the greatest of "chefs", but after reading this I too feel like I should attempt to make this pasta and experience myself its great taste :).

Samantha Galarza said...

This sounds absolutely DELICIOUS! I have never heard of this recipe before and I am super excited to try it! The directions and story were very clear and precise! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You have convinced me that I have to cook this recipe. I loved your introduction paragraph where you talked about the origin of where this recipe came from. Although it wasn’t your original recipe, I loved how you tweaked it and made it your own. I’ve never heard of this recipe before and was shocked to find out how popular it is even among celebrities. The fact that people were willing to stand outside during Covid, for the restaurant and specifically this dish, means it must be good. Especially if Gigi and Zayn recommend it. Your directions were very clear and I loved how some of the ingredients didn’t have specific measurements that way everyone can be able to enjoy it the way they like. Overall, great job I’m happy that I have a new recipe to try because of your recommendation. I’m excited to try it in the near future.

Brianna Musa said...

Pasta is my fav I love how filling and creamy it is. This recipe sounds so yummy I will definitely try it out and good for you for being resourceful and making it instead of just buying it.
-Brianna Musa

Cenia Ruiz said...

I love you said food allows you to express your love that's awesome! Your recipe sounds delicious!!

Diego Kontorovsky said...

After looking at the ingredients, I can for sure say Zayn and Gigi would be proud! The entire article was easy to read and comprehend and the part that I enjoy the most is how easy the steps are to follow. Hopefully I can create this one day and make Zayn and Gigi equally as proud, thank you for sharing your new and improved recipe for all of us to try!

Elyana Steih said...

This sounds amazing ! Your introduction itself made me want to try it, and the directions made it sound easy to make ! Thank you for sharing !

Anonymous said...

The fact that you included Zayn and Gigi is hilarious and I love that. Thank you for this recipe! It sounds like a great warm winter dish!

AnthonyEarl Villegas said...

I as well have been trying my hand a cooking during the pandemic since food is the best thing about being alive in my opinion. I can say that I'm genuinely excited to try out this recipe especially since it's spicy!

Katelyn Orellana said...

Katelyn Orellana: Hi Chloe this recipe is a must try for me, like Im not gonna like my mouth watered a bit but thats because pasta is my favorite dish in general. Thank you for the recipe :)

Kaitlin Dalisay said...

Chloe!! This piece was so humorous and made my day!! I would have never thought to put brown sugar in my pasta, but I am very convinced I should. Also, I love the ending where it described the 4 noodles for $30 at an expensive restaurant. SO TRUE !!

-Kaitlin Dalisay

Morgan McDonnell said...

Hi Chloe! I absolutely love your introduction to the recipe! It made it much more fun and enjoyable to read than some average recipe! I don’t even like pasta, but your description of this dish sounds delicious!
- Morgan McDonnell

candace jones said...

Hey Chloe!! I love this recipe! I love how you made this so fun, I am so going to try this out. It sounds so delicious! I love this piece so much!