Pages

Monday, November 2, 2020

"THE MUSA’S MAGNIFICENT MEAT-PIES " By: Brianna M.

 


Hello everyone so today I will be giving you my family’s recipe on a traditional food in my culture called meat-pie. My family originates from Cameroon located in West Africa and the infamous snack made there is meat-pie. What is meat-pie? It’s a small pie filled with meat and often other savory ingredients. Looks wise, it is very similar to an empanada in which both contain dough and meat filling. I want to share this recipe with you all because I feel it’s important to branch out and try new cultures’ food especially since we have a lot more time on our hands now. Another reason why I chose meat-pie to share with you all is because of how easy it is to personalize it to best suit you. For example instead of using beef, you can use chicken, fish, or veggies. You can personalize this as much or as little as you want it’s all up to you and your preferences. Making meat-pie has always and still is a great time for my family and I to bond and come together making our culture food. That is why meat-pie is very important to me as silly as it may sound because I am able to reconnect with my favorite people and exercise my kitchen skills. So now, let's get on with the recipe. First you will bring out all the tools, materials, seasonings and ingredients for both the dough and the meat that I have listed below. Now let’s first make the meat because it takes longer to prepare. The meat I use is ground beef and sometimes ground turkey, a pro-tip is to wash the meat before doing anything to it. It’s very important that you wash it thoroughly with water and afterwards using a skewer to help drain the excess water. Whilst doing this extra step, I highly recommend you use gloves during this process because meat consists of a lot of fat and it is very tedious getting it all off your bare hands (experienced that the hard way). After this place your meat in a saucepan and onto the stove for cooking. Now let’s move on to dicing the savory ingredients to mix with the meat. You’ll need to dice onions, potatoes, carrots and peas however I recommend you buy the pre-diced frozen carrots and peas from your local grocery store to save you some time. Then place your diced ingredients into the ground meat (which should be on the stove), for about 30 minutes to cook thoroughly. Once finished, drain the meat juice and then season the meat with the seasonings listed below, it is very important that you season your meat after you drain the juice. If you season it before then you will be draining out some seasoning as well. Once your meat is to your liking, now it’s time to make the dough. You’ll need a big mixing bowl and the ingredients listed below once the


dough is made, use the dough roller to flatten it out completely and a medium sized kitchen knife to slice the dough in 4 sections. In this step, you are now shaping the dough into your meat-pies and you can slice the dough as big or little as you want. Then you’re going to place a generous amount of meat or any filling you choose in the center of the sliced dough. Afterwards fold one side of the dough to another, and with your small fork press down on the ends of the meat-pie to ensure no filling will fall out when baking. Now repeat this step until you run out of dough or meat whichever comes first but for the most part it would be the dough. Whilst doing this your oven should be preheated at 350 degrees and ready to bake your meat pies, I normally place aluminum foil in my oven and then use PAM Canola Oil Spray to make sure the meat-pie does not stick to the foil while baking. Once you place your meat-pie in the oven, crack the egg, mix it and use the cooking brush to coat each meat pie with the mixed egg. Doing this step gives the meat-pie its golden brown color as it is baking in the oven. After closing the oven let your meat-pie bake for about 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. As the meat-pie is baking this is a great time to clean up, but pro-tip cleaning up as you are cooking saves a lot of time, but still make sure you are checking on the meat-pie every 7-10 minutes. Once the time is up take them out, try not to burn yourself and then ENJOY. Thank you for taking the time to read this, I truly hope this was beneficial and interesting enough for you all to make your own with your family/friends one day!!

 

PREP TIME: 30-35 minutes

 

COOKING TIME (for the meet): 25-30 minutes

 

BAKING TIME: 30-35 minutes

 

 

Ingredients for the Dough

 

     5 cups of All-Purpose flour

 

     3 cups of Crisco (better than butter) this gives more of a soft crunch

 

     2 eggs

 

     2 cups of water

 

     1 tablespoon of sugar (if you like your dough more on the sweeter side)

 

     1 teaspoon of salt


Ingredients for the Meat

 

     Any ground meat (recommend beef or turkey)

 

     Diced carrots

 

     Diced onions

 

     Diced potatoes

 

     Peas

Seasonings for the Meat​​TIP: drain meat juice first then season your ground meat

 

     Salt and pepper

 

     Onion powder

 

     Garlic powder

 

     Lemon powder

 

     Dried parsley

 

     Chicken Flavor Bouillon

 

TOOLS

 

     Medium size mixing bowl (electric bowl is highly recommended)

 

     Dough roller

 

     Extra flour (for your surface to roll the dough easier)

 

     1 egg

 

     Cooking brush

 

     A small fork (to close the ends of the dough after shaped)

 

     Aluminum Foil

 

     PAM Oil

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

https://images.app.goo.gl/3vYfTJCzg1XGacUL8


15 comments:

Richelle Mendoza said...

I've never tried meat pie but I've always wanted try one! It's cool how you can add veggies or chicken instead of meat. It allows other people to feel included if they can't have certain meat or any meat at all. My family and I don't really spend much time together so I'll definitely be using this as a way to bond together!

Nguyen Ho said...

hehehe, I don't really like meat pie but your recipe make me want some right now, I'll try and make them this weekend!! thank you!

Charmaine Luciano said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I think it’s really sweet how you and your family make meat-pies together and it just shows how much more personal and special it is to you. I love trying new food and I will definitely try making beef and chicken meat-pies!

Unknown said...

This looks really good. I like how your recipe is very easy to follow and your tips that you give along the way. As a very very beginner chef(if you can even call it that), I appreciated how you took into consideration all culinary levels.
Amorette Correa

Kiyah Brown said...

I think that it is vital to expand your horizons and try food from other cultures, so I like how you mentioned this in your introductory paragraph. Your recipe is straightforward and apprehensible!

Abigail said...

YES! YES! YES! I love love love meat pie and I loving making it from scratch even more. When I go to any Cameroon or Nigerian parties all I have are meat pies(my parents always took me to a lot of parties where I would eat an unthinkable amount of them lol). YALL SHOULD DEFINITELY TRY!!!

Kaitlin Dalisay said...

Brianna!! I love how you explained your family's traditional meat pie recipe especially giving us a little background on where your family originated from. Also, I have never tried to use crisco instead of butter for a softer crunch!!:0 That is definitely on my to-do list. VERY WELL DONE!

Kaitlin Dalisay

Unknown said...

YES MEATPIE IS SO BOMBBB !!!
-Oluwaseyi Alli

Unknown said...

YES MEATPIE !! Brianna you know my family and I love meatpie because Cameroonians and Nigerians share similar cultures and foods ! Thank you so much for this my mom and I will definitely be making meatpies soon and you guys should seriously try it !!!
-Oluwaseyi Alli

Chrissy Lopez said...

Oh my goodnessss this sounds so good, I’m hungry now >< I loved the introduction to the dish in the beginning! I love learning about different cultures and trying new foods! I’ve never had meat pie before but I’m willing to give it a try. Plus, I really appreciate the thoroughness in the instructions :D

Anonymous said...

This looks very good! I never tried it before but this makes it sound so good. Thank you so much for sharing. :) ~ Kayla Macasinag

Pamela Maicot said...

This was super interesting to read as I have never been exposed to any culture's food besides from Mexican homemade meals, American burgers, and occasional sushi from now and then. Meat pies from Cameroon will definitely broaden my horizons and hopefully I can follow the easy and clear steps you've shared!

Morgan McDonnell said...

Wow! Meat pie is something I never would have thought I’d be interested in trying, but your recipe really changed my mind! Also, I love that you chose to share a cultural dish and gave us a little bit of background about your family. Very well done!
- Morgan McDonnell

Unknown said...

I LOVE MEAT PIE YESSS, thank you for teaching me the ways of the meat pie. I can't wait to make it!-Angela Carnalla

Melissa M Torres said...

I really like meat pie but I never knew of the origin/which countries eat it. Thank you so much for sharing! You made this very organized and neat.