Pages

Monday, February 3, 2020

"Social Disconnection" by Nathan S



     It’s a Friday afternoon. I am finally home and prepared for the weekend. Knowing myself, I will be able to find plans for this evening, so in a relatively good mood I indubitably am. I hop on the couch and hastily inquire my compatriots if they are willing to accompany me on an adventure to an unknown destination in my 2001 Toyota Tundra. And then, all of a sudden, something dreadful happens. I get a phone call. And this was no ordinary phone call. This was a phone call from none other than... my mother. An audible sigh of annoyance is made and I reluctantly answer. So I wait a few seconds, and answer “What?” in a groggy sort of tone as if I had just been resting. What annoys me is that she is never very succinct with her words. “Hi sweetie,” she says to me in a cheerful voice. I can hear the blinker of her car in the background. My mother has a habit of being bored when driving home, and calls either me or my sister just to chat. Though she has pure intentions, I honestly find it kind of pestering. “I was just wondering how your day was!” I finish the unsubstantial phone call. Though likely temporary, my mood is noticeably worse.
     I pick up Lucas and Alex, because they had the unfortunate mindset of waiting to acquire their driver’s license, whereas I took it upon myself to get mine within a week of my sixteenth birthday. (Dear reader, if you have you have your driver’s license or are in the process of getting one, good on you. If not...get on that. Seriously. It changed my life. Don’t be like Alex). My other friend Joe (name kept confidential) was a good boy and drove himself to my house, saving me precious drops of petrol. We didn’t really know what to do so we settled on an excursion to Victoria Gardens, the local mall. I can feel the juxtaposition of my fellow Chads in every stride,
and knowledgeable about previous visits, I am prepared for a lively outing. Upon our arrival, we dismount from the ute, and advance into the commercial center. As it is the dawn of the fifth moon in the week, the sidewalks teem with life. Very occasionally, I think it is fun to say things to random passersby, usually along the line of “hello” and survey the counteraction provided. Most of my friends are uncomfortable with it, and I get it, as I too am nervous myself. For some reason it takes courage to say something to someone you’ve never met before. We approach a couple walking in the opposite direction. I wave toward the couple as our paths converge, and say “Hello!” I made my gesture very unambiguously directed toward the couple. To my dismay, the couple acted as if my greeting was a facade. “Was he waving at me?” They might’ve said to one another.
     Most passersby that I observed seemed to feel uncomfortable with such an unfamiliar action. I took it upon myself to challenge everyone with me to greet at least two strangers. The completion of my aforementioned challenge seemed almost effortless for Alex to finalize. However, for Joe and Lucas, such an exhibition of oneself was not as easy. What was so different between Alex and the rest, that allowed Alex to so gracefully complete my trial, and for Joe and Lucas to struggle? As I examined the distinction between the two, I recalled one of Joe’s habits. He is consistently glued to the screen of his iPhone 11. Specifically scrolling through social media platforms such as Instagram and Twitter. How can such a socially connected person fail to perform a simple social interaction?
So I thought to myself, there seems to be a connection between social media, and social detachment. In this reality bestowed upon us, social interactions dictate our everyday lives. Us students have to interact with our teachers and our piers to be successful, and most workers have
to interact with their boss or their clients to be successful. Humans are social creatures. Without social cooperation, society would be nothing but twig huts, inhabited by measly humans with their pointy sticks scattered across the globe. Individual humans require the company of others. So naturally, with technology came the birth of social media. Humans are more connected than ever, but when it comes down to it, most of us lack the basic social functionality to confront a stranger. When I witnessed the incapability of my local community to acknowledge a friendly greeting from a stranger, I saw the irony of our “connection.” It is because of this irony that I try to be as outgoing as possible. I of course indulge in our technological advancements, but I find myself wanting to break societal patterns. It would be a falsehood to declare that I never find myself in an awkward situation where I turn to technology. I too take out my phone and fake doing something important during uncomfortable elevator rides. But anytime someone gives me an unfriendly look when I behave in contrast to a societal norm, I feel satisfaction in knowing that I am not a copy-pasted replica of what society wants me to be. And honestly, nobody is.
     That’s where the problem lies. I see too many people even at this school that seem to act in a way that is appealing to their so-called friends, despite their true nature. Changing yourself to allure people is not the way to make true friends. If you embrace your uniqueness, like-minded individuals will come to you.

22 comments:

Jonathan Betanco said...

I really enjoyed your perspective in societies ability to form personal connection. I enjoyed how you noticed that social media is taking over and at the same time it is keeping us closer than ever. Last I really enjoyed the way you describe how a lot of people wear a mask to disguise themselves to fit in with their friends.

Isabela Vergara said...

I love your choice of diction throughout the story, I could almost hear your voice as I read each sentence! I completely agree with your statement that people should embrace what makes them unique. This was very insightful. Great job!!

Anonymous said...

I really like how you use irony to draw the reader's attention to your mother's inability to be succinct by writing the whole of your piece as increasingly verbose. Great Job ! - Cameron Hunter

Sabrina Musharbash said...

Your writing style has always been so much fun to read and I'm glad to see you're still using weird big words throughout your writing. The theme of your essay is so true though, especially with our generation, as we have a tendency to forget how to conduct ourselves around others in person. Your Victoria Gardens challenge does a great way of conveying this disconnect. Overall, great job.

Kaj Miranda said...

I loved the use of diction in this piece! The use of your diction made your story that much more interesting to read. I also love the idea of your challenge about greeting at least two different strangers when out with friends to enhance social interaction. I also love the realization you made as you connected social media to social detachment.-Kaj Miranda

Anonymous said...

I loved your approach to society norms, to the phone and the fact that strangers on the street can't even say hello or wave to each other anymore without feeling strangeness or the idea "are they talking to me", this mindset set by technology has obviously shown compared to people back then in the older generation when technology wasn't this prominent. Overall, great interpretation of a societal problem today.

Izaiah Rojas said...

Reading this I definitely could hear your voice and it was entertaining. What you mention though is the sad reality of our current society, the more 'connected' we become through means of technology the more isolated people tend to be. It is a valid point and a concern with our generation, being some of the first to experience this but good writing.

Anonymous said...

Very great use of diction, really drawing me in from the start. It was nice how you brought up the social problems in life due to a world revolving around social media. Very nice piece. - jaeyeon romero

Breanne Ha said...

I love how you led into your story, giving the readers a personal experience in which you witnessed with your own eyes. It's sad to say that what you see is true, it's easy for people to go onto social media and become a different person than who they actually are. I also agree with you about the driver license situation because I'm also the only person in my friend group who drives. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Such an entertaining piece! Your writing style and diction is very reflective of who you are as a person, and reminded me of when you read for Algernon in class (lol). I love how you were able to use an experience, a simple encounter, to question societal trends and social norms. You are not wrong when we say that technology has changed the way we interact with others; face to face interaction has lost its finest touch. Instead of seeing everyone as our friend, we see everyone as a stranger. Technology indirectly taught us that it is better to be to ourselves and follow the popular trend, rather than yourself and interact with the communtity. Overall great piece, well written, and great use of critical thinking. - Julia Lozano

Jolyei Griffith said...

I enjoyed the use of your own personal experience with your friends in order to lead to the bigger issue at hand, which is socializing within society with the invention of social media. The diction used in this was different from anything I have ever read and I enjoyed the elements of humor as well. The piece was very cohesive and well guided and I agree that although some people may be extremely popular or relevant on social media, nothing triumphs over real human interaction, and I am afraid that one day everyone may be too accustomed to communicating digitally.

Anonymous said...

Nathan,
I feel like I was really able to relate to this story because on multiple occasions, these things have happened to me with my friends in addition to the fact that I am a common victim of this trend. The point that you made of how we are so connected in the world but that we actually really lack the connection that matters the most: human connection, is so relevant and makes complete sense. It is so easy to browse on social media but it is extremely difficult to make direct contact with people on the street or in our community; at least for most people. Your diction was genuinely hilarious and I commend your effort to bring awareness to this issue.
- Joshua

Anonymous said...

I really liked how you used such an important and controversial topic nowadays and gave your own perspective to mention the way you see society and how others can relate to the fact the social media is not having that much of a positive effect in today's society.

Ifeoma Anyaogu said...

I loved the transition into the overall topic of what is actually a bigger issue than people think. Your words were witty and funny and the way you told the story was very well executed.

Kyler Lovett said...

I really enjoyed the in-depth story you provided in the beginning, as it made for useful context when reinforcing your overall message. I love that you are trying to be outgoing, because it feels like a rare commodity now a days. Good read!

Angiolina Seminario said...

A really great and entertaining piece you have written. The language is very mature and your imagery really draws that reader into your mom's phone call, the car ride, etc. I especially liked what your story led to and completely agree with it. People nowadays are always on their phones and can't give the person next to them the time of day and its saddening. We as a society should be able to become more outgoing and make norm of saying hi to those around you instead of being on your phone all the time.

Kira S. said...

I personally really enjoyed your story. Your perspective of the social disconnection in society is quite similar to my own and it honestly hurts to know that humanity is being worsened daily because of this. You're use of diction throughout the work really does help add to the effect of what you want to say and the meaning of it as a whole.

Kira S. said...

I personally really enjoyed your story. Your perspective of the social disconnection in society is quite similar to my own and it honestly hurts to know that humanity is being worsened daily because of this. You're use of diction throughout the work really does help add to the effect of what you want to say and the meaning of it as a whole.

Tanner Nel said...

The use of diction and imagery was great in this piece and really underlined your sense of humor and sarcasm. I found it funny reading this because I have many friends who are glued to their phones and have a hard time interacting with anybody outside of the social media world because of their lack of interest. The development of the plot from start to finish was interesting and really reflected what most Friday nights feel like after a long week of school. Good job with this piece!

Melanie said...

I really liked how you could really tell this piece was written by you. It has diction that you use and I could imagine so many things clearly. I thought your perspective of society was very interesting and this story kept me interested until the end.

Hannah Ekelem said...

I love your style of writing and your choice of diction always makes your writing very engaging and enjoyable to read. I love how funny this piece was but also how you made an important point about human interactions and revealed a certain truth that we should all reflect on. Great Job! - Hannah Ekelem

Anonymous said...

Loved this piece! Your choice of diction makes the story out to be something funny or witty, until you get to the real underlying theme; the disconnection between people due to social media. Very well-written!