Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2020

"Looking Up From 6-Feet Under" by Ibrahim E



      July 26th, 2017. I’m 15, I’m at the bottom of a grave, looking up, since that’s the only

way out.
      On July 25th, 2017 my family and I had just finished up eating at the Panera Bread on

Foothill and Fruit st. in La Verne when we got a call that sent us all into an emotionally destructive spiral. The hospital called my mother to tell her that her father, my grandfather, had passed away. So, as anyone else would do, we rushed to the hospital to be by his side, hoping that there was just an ounce of life left in him for us to speak to him one last time. Sadly, it was too late. He had no life left in him. I remember the hospital room being filled with about 10-13 people, all of them were crying and wailing. Meanwhile, I was sitting next to my grandfather, just staring at him, with no emotion whatsoever. This was the first time that I had experienced the death of a loved one and I did not know how to react. I did not know whether I should have been crying, like everyone else, or whether I should have just remained silent, so that I may allow his soul to leave his body in peace. I had remained silent when in the hospital room. However, it is when I returned home that I had allowed all my emotions to truly form their own course and steer themselves. I had gotten home, and I just started to think about him and I was just filled with anger. Not anger towards him, but towards the doctors for letting this happen to him. And towards the evil eye. And towards everything else that was completely out of my
control. I was unable to sleep that night, but for the next few days, the only sleep I got was in fact not sleep at all, for all I could think about was him. He was in my dreams. He was constantly on my mind. He was everywhere I went and I could not escape my emotions. It felt as though my mind and heart were on an emotional and mental lockdown simultaneously. The day after he had passed, his body was to be washed and ready for burial. Being one of the closest men to him, I had attended his washing, however, it is uncustomary for me to go into depth about the washing aspect of the burial. Nevertheless, I had served as one of the witnesses to his washing, and like before, I was completely emotionless. Whether he was dead or not, I could not bring myself to cry in his presence. I refused to allow my emotions to get the best of me in his presence, because he would not have wanted that for me. He used to call me “asad,” which means “lion” in Arabic, only because he felt that ever since I was little I had a strong will. After washing his body and preparing it for burial, we had taken his body to the mosque, so that we may pray Salat Al-Janazah,a funeral prayer on behalf of him. The prayer hall was filled with about 120-130 people, so much so that there were people praying outside, and in the midst of this sea of people, I had forced mydelf to the front, so that I may be as close to my grandfather as possible. During that prayer, I had heard a few faint sounds of men wailing, as if it was their​ ​father who had died, but again I was holding in my emotions. After the prayer, we had taken my grandfather to the La Verne cemetery, the only local cemetery with a Muslim section, and we had unloaded his body from the van that was carrying him. Once the van had opened its doors, I remember seeing my grandmother just asking to see her husband one last time and looking into her eyes when she asked to see him was like looking into a sea of despair. Justifiably so, seeing as she had just lost the only man that she had ever loved. Once the sea of women had cleared the way for us to carry
the body out of the van, we had begun to carry the body out of the van and towards the burial site.  When we had reached his grave, his body, only wrapped in white, because it is against Islam to bury the dead in coffins, was lowered into the grave. Now came the part that I knew was coming. When burying someone, it is customary for the three closest men to that person to be sent down into the grave with that person and point them in the direction of the Qibla, the direction of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. When the time came, my cousin, my uncle, and I were the three men sent down to point the body towards the Qibla. I had watched my step, stepping carefully down the ladder, and once I had hit the ground and realized that I was in a grave I pretty much lost all feeling in my body, all my senses, and my sense of time. I remember me just standing there when one of the men, the man who performed the washing, was telling me to grab his feet and move them. He told me about three times and it wasn’t until the third time that I processed what he had said. But, when I was in that grave, I couldn’t help but grasp the fact that I’m going to be here one day as well, but there’s not going to be any way out of it. That’s the reason it had taken me so long to respond. Once we had moved the body, we had all climbed a ladder and exited the grave, but when exiting, I could not help but notice all the people around me and all the people looking at me as if I had something they wanted from me. This only lasted for about 10 or 15 seconds, for shortly after, the men proceeded to throw dirt inside the grave, specifically 3 handfuls of dirt per man, as according to Islamic tradition. I had made sure that I threw the first 3 handfuls of dirt, only so that I may escape the sea of men trying to throw dirt as well. This very day had forever changed me. This day made me aspire to be exactly like my grandfather. After this day, I vowed to become the lion that my grandfather saw in me. After this day, there are three simple rules that I live by, which go as follows: love and take care of your
family, protect those closest to you, and never be a coward. After that day, my entire personality changed. At only 15, that day had made me a man. My grandfather had lived every day of his life to the fullest, no matter what circumstances, and I think about that often and whenever I feel sad, I remember that he had to go through much worse than me and he stayed strong, so there is absolutely no reason as to why I should not.

15 comments:

Salamah Salamah said...

Allah yerhama (My God forgive him). It’s easy to say that we all deal with the inevitable; that everyone and every story is the same, but it’s not. “Everything is a Story” and we all process things differently and grow from our experiences differently. As a Muslim, I connected a bit more with this because I have step-by-step gone through the Salat Al Janaza and thrown dirt on the deceased, but the experience is always different. AllahuAkbar

Jerry Feng said...

Awwww, I am so sorry for your loss man! That must have been very hard for you to get through. The same thing happened to be me the summer of my freshman year: my grandmother passed away, so we spent the whole summer in China helping my grandpa acclimate to his new life. It really is life-changing. Regarding your blogpost though, I absolutely love your incorporation of culture with certain phrases and words like “asad” and “Salat Al-Janazah,” and describing them to the readers. It helps us access the knowledge of other cultures while still understanding what you are trying to say. Just out of curiosity, does that “asad” have anything to do with Bashar al-Assad? Lol. But overall, you narrated the story very well, and reading your blog felt like I was really following you through every step and feeling the same feelings that you had while going through the whole process. I hope you continue carrying on what you learned from this crucial point in your life and continuing being that “man/asad” you grandpa called you to be. :D

Izaiah Rojas said...

I completely agree with how death changes you. When my uncle died a two years ago it really hit me how easily someone can just be gone. I was also emotionless and was not really sure how to feel and I still don't even after all this time. I think to him from time to time but I completely relate to what you are saying but good writing.

Anonymous said...

The title caught my eye but was very different than what i was expecting to read, however I wasn't disappointed in the slightest bit.
This story really tugged at my heart strings and is a great insight on who you are as a person. I can definitely understand you a little bit better than before and i just want to say this was an amazing piece of writing filled with great detail and some educational elements about your faith and upbringing that others may not be familiar with.
Amazing writing :)

Simerpreet Dhesi said...

Death is indeed a tragedy and I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandfather. The vivid imagery used had me hooked the whole time I was reading this story and you indeed are proving to be the man your grandfather said you would be. I appreciate the cultural context you provided and overall enjoyed the heartfelt story. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I really like that you took after your grandfather's words and hope and inspires to be a lion like he wanted you to. Attending to a funeral for a super closed one at only the age of 15 must've been hard but it was very brave of you to hold in your emotions until you were alone. The lesson you learnt which will change you forever is indeed for a noble cause and remembrance to your grandfather.

Shreeya Candipali said...

I am so sorry for what you had to go through, Ibrahim. You definitely live up to the name that your grandfather called you by. You also have the most delicate heart of anyone I know and I can tell how much you loved your grandfather. With 120-130 people waiting to see him it is easy to see how much he was loved and what a great man he was. Reading about your experiences has also taught me a lot about your culture and how that contributes to your values and who you are. Next time you offer me a date, I will savor it as I appreciate your culture. Thank you for sharing your story with us <3!

Kaylee Tao said...

I understand the strength it takes to draw out such an emotional piece as yours and you did it wonderfully! With death being universal, it was really interesting to read about your culture and traditions approaching it. I particularly loved the part explaining how you were able to grow from such an experience and how it truly reflects your personality today. All in all, a beautiful piece!

Anonymous said...

This is a very emotional and moving piece, the storytelling throughout this piece was so vivid and makes the reader feel like you are in your shoes. The reader understands the strong relationship you had with your grandfather. You are really big on your culture to and love where you come from. This was overall an amazing piece, great job Ibrahim! - Yuan Maneje

Anonymous said...

Wow Ibrahim this story hit me hard because although I cannot relate to you in the burial sense, I can relate to you in the emotional sense. When my grandmother died, I didn't know what to feel. I saw my father and siblings crying but I was not. It was weird to see those around me so distressed and to just reflect on my own emotions and realize that I didn't know what to do. Even to this day I still think back on that moment and wonder what happened to my emotions, wondering where they went. Your story really hit home for me Ibrahim and I'm very sorry for your loss. Knowing you know, I can tell you that you definitely are becoming the asad your grandfather said you were.

Isabela Vergara said...

This was truly moving and inspirational. I like how you included your internal thought as you told the story, it gave the audience a deeper look into how this experience changed you. The most powerful line was when you said, "I pretty much lost all feeling in my body, all my senses, and my sense of time." I can't imagine how this would feel like and you described it in a way that struck me deeply. I admire you for taking a painful experience and transforming it into an opportunity to better yourself as a person. Thank you so much for sharing! -Isabela Vergara :)

Kira S. said...

It's terrible loosing a loved one, especially one that you are so close to. You're writing shows how close the two of you are and how much you have grown because of him. Living to be the "lion" he always called you is amazing and shows the development of how the pain of death turns into the influence of becoming more.

Cedrick Martinez said...

This piece is beautifully written. The way you described how shocking it was to lose a loved one was very realistic. I could feel your emotion reach me throughout the entire story. Im sorry for your loss brother and thank you for sharing your story.

Kaj Miranda said...

First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss. It is amazing how you brought this story to life and made it feel as if we were going through this experience with you. Also I really like how you brought in your culture and translated different words and phrases within your story. -Kaj Miranda

Jolyei Griffith said...

This was very well written and descriptive. The way you described your grief and the development between how you first felt to how you feel now was easy to follow and coherent. I enjoyed the incorporation of your culture and language, which made the piece feel more personable and vulnerable. Im sorry to hear about your loss :(