Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

"Pozole" by Kate S


For me, the best thing about the winter time is coming home to eat warm pozole. Pozole is a Mexican soup that uses hominy. Hominy is made from maize. There are two types of pozole, green pozole, and red pozole. Today I will be showing you how to make red pozole. This dish something I have been eating my whole life. My mom makes pozole whenever it rains. She learned how to make it from my grandma, who learned how to make it from her mom. Although my grandma was taught to make it, over the years she has perfected it. Everyone in my family knows if they want amazing pozole they have to come to my grandma’s house. I am lucky enough to have a mother who is also amazing at making it. But my mom says that she still can not make it without having to call my grandma at least twice. Today I thought I'd try and teach you how to make pozole since it is starting to get colder and rain almost every week. I called grandma to get all the information right from the source. While following this recipe keep in mind this is meant to feed a whole family. Don’t worry it is a very easy and simple dish to make.
Ingredient list (meant to serve a big family)
  • ●  6lb Pork Meat
  • ●  A big can of hominy
  • ●  2 Tomatoes
  • ●  2 Chile anchos
  • ●  2 New Mexico chiles
  • ●  4 Cloves of garlic
  • ●  Black pepper
  • ●  4 Cloves
  • ●  Mexican oregano
    Instructions Step one
    Fill a big pot up with water and salt. After doing that add all of the meat. Put this mixture
    to boil.
    Step two
    After the mixture boils for a good 30 minutes you add the hominy.
    Step three
    In a blender, you will add together the tomatoes, chilis, pepper, oregano, and salt.
    Step four
    Once blended to a Puree you add the sauce to the mixture of water, meat, and hominy.
    Step five
    Now, let the soup simmer for a good three hours.
    Step six
    Feel free to add Cabbage, onion, radish, lemon, and Tapatio for spice, and don't forget
    your tostadas.
    Step seven
Finally! You can now eat and enjoy your pozole with your whole family.
Pozole is really important to my family because it always brought us together. When my grandma would make it she would invite everyone over all my uncles and aunts, and even my extended family would come over. Pozole was an excuse for family to get together so we can all catch up on everyone’s life. When I was younger, I remember coming over to my grandma’s house and smelling the pozole and asking who was coming over this time. It was always a long list of names. These days were always the best.
My grandma always makes pozole on Christmas with the addition of tamales of course. Tamales are a Mexican dish made with a corn-based masa. My grandma only makes tamales once or twice a year because they talk a long time to cook and also it takes a whole team to get together and make them. Tamales are normally holiday food or just something we eat on only special occasions. Normally the day before serving tamales everyone gets together and we all create an assembly line to make tamales in the fastest way possible. You get the dried corn husk and smear the masa on it and then decide what kind of tamale you want to make. My favorite type of tamale is chicken with red mole, cheese and jalapeno, or chile Verde. Some people like to make sweet tamales with pineapple, strawberry, or just regular corn. Tamales and pozole are the best together.
Pozole is a classic Mexican dish that contains pork and hominy. It is a very easy dish that just needs to be prepared a couple of hours in advance. Pozole is super delicious, and the perfect food for all seasons but more so winter. Now that you have a recipe to follow I hope you make it and enjoy it. I also hope you share it with your entire family and it has the same effect on your family as it does on mine. I hope it brings you guys together and gives you a reason to get together the same way it did for me.

23 comments:

Alison Flores said...

This recipe seems very easy to follow and could help out the people who want to make this or have always wanted to try and make this. I am sure that with this recipe my mom could follow this and make pozole, since she has always wanted to try and make it!

Isabel Quintanilla said...

This brought me back so many flashbacks of how winter time is at my house with my family making pozole and tamales and gathering together. But wow did this make me hungry. I love how not only did you provide a recipe but you also included you own personal experiences and why this dish is important to you. Great Job! -Isabel Quintanilla

Anonymous said...

What an easy recipe! I always thought making pozole would be much more difficult, must try this recipe out now! I like that you gave background to the dish and how it brings families together which is amazing.

Nathan McDonnell said...

I really enjoyed how you gave some background to the dish and how it was meaningful to you and your family. You made this more than just something giving us instructions on how to make it but rather you made it something that is deep end meaningful to you and i really enjoyed that. It was different than what most people did with this kind of thing and i thought it was very original and creative great job!

Natalie Mejia said...

Pozole along with tamales are also some of my favorite dishes of all time. Its the same way with my family, my grandma is the one that makes it the best, and even though they give you all the ingredients, grandmas just seem to make it 10x better. Thank you so much for sharing how you and your family make pozole, I'm going to definitely give your way a try!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic job on this tutorial post Kate. I feel that after reading your walk-through I could successfully go home and make pozole. Your instructions were simple and easy to follow but I can tell that they are definitely still sufficient in teaching someone how to make pozole. I've never had pozole but you make it sound absolutely delicious. Thank you so much for sharing this knowledge of how to make pozole with us because I believe that this is a very important and beneficial thing to know how to do.

Anonymous said...

As a fellow Mexican, I can definitely relate to having pozole during this time of year. The steps were very easy to follow, great job!!! - Breana Plascencia

Reginald M. said...

Great walk-through of this recipe you enjoy so much. Besides the knowledge on how to recreate this meal, you did a great job of connecting a recipe you love with the connotations it bares such as coming together as a family. Opening up on why this is such a staple to your family adds sentimental value to this soup.

Jacob Higgins said...

Amazing work with this description and overall guide to cooking Pozole, to me I have always enjoyed Pozole and even have my own passed down recipe and its great to me to see that other families have actually different ways of making pozole. Overall beautifully typed out and explained and anyone looking to make pozole could actually look onto this and make their own. - Jacob Higgins

Michael Reyes said...

Great recipe for one of the best foods to have on a cold, christmas night! It was easy to follow and simple to understand. I also liked how you went further and explained its significance to you which helped bring more importance to this dish. Rather than just being a list, this made it feel more special and personal, great job!

Cassandra Jimenez said...

Your personal connection to pozole was a good introduction to this how-to article. My family and I also make pozole con tamales around winter time in order to get together and enjoy each other's company. We usually make pozole verde so with this tutorial I'm hoping to attempt and make pozole rojo foy my family. Your simple instructions make it easy to follow, good job!

Anonymous said...

Wow kate. This was surprisingly easy to follow. As a Mexican, my family makes pozole all the time and it's always delicious. I've always wanted to try and make it myself but always thought it to be too complicated. I will definitely be trying out this delicious recipe!

Anonymous said...

Though I don't cook often, this How-To makes me want to give this recipe a try! The detail you put into this piece really showed that anyone can cook this and the explanations really just give it a push to help anyone who needs the extra assistance. Thank you for sharing! -Aaron P

Tanner Nel said...

Thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe with the blog! The instructions were super simple to follow and I could definitely see this being on a website for quick and great recipes. It was also great how you inserted your own experiences with the dish and how you like to enjoy it. This allows for the readers to have a good idea for when they should truly enjoy the meal. Great job and I hope many get to try your recipe!

Sesha Real said...

Your recipe really intrigued me, because although I am Mexican as well we cook traditional dishes differently. For instance we use beef instead and prefer green pozole instead. You made me feel nostalgic when you mentioned how you eat it when its cold outside, definitely brought me back to my youth.

Adrian Waterhouse said...

Wow! Although I've tasted pozole, it's not a dish I've have on the regular; but the way that you described it with the ingredients in the soup makes me want to try it again. I'm not a cook, but I'm willing to try!

Anonymous said...

Pozole and tamales has always been a huge part of my family as well, especially during the holidays! The way you listed the ingredients makes it easy to follow and made my mouth water and look forward to inevitably eating pozole in a week or two. I also loved how you incorporated the element of family and how it makes it an even better experience. Great job! :)

Anonymous said...

Kate, this recipe for how to make Pozole is very similar to how my family makes it! What I appreciated the most though was how you implemented the concept of Familia into your post and how Pozole is much more than just a tasty meal. It's the history, the hard work put into making it, and the laughter with eating it. I just had Pozole for Thanksgiving and Christmas. These are possibly the only times I have it only because of how special it is to my family. Thanks for sharing!

Amitoj Bajwa said...

I enjoyed how you organized and wrote your recipe for pozole. Not only was it easy to understand, but interesting to see you incorporating your families piece with this recipe.

Anonymous said...

I really loved this recipe because as a Hispanic person, I'm always trying to find new ways to make traditional foods, and although I usually only eat the green pozole, I never knew how to make the red one. I really enjoyed how simple the instructions were because most of the time it's really difficult to follow a recipe,especially when it has many ingredients.

Stephanie Cabrera said...

Dude this was well put together and even though many think its so hard to make this Mexican dish, following your steps made it seem less complicated. Not only did you provide how to make this soup but provided background and how its mainly made during the holidays.
- Stephanie Cabrera

Vibhuti Purohit said...

I love how well thought out your recipe is and it is definitely very easy to comprehend! By the way, I fully understand when you said that your grandmother makes it better than anyone in your family because I go through that every time I go to India! Thank you!

- Vibhuti Purohit

Melanie L. said...

I really enjoyed hearing how this recipe for pozole connected you with your family. This recipe was very well put together and was simple to follow unlike some other recipes out there.