Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

“3 Little Tin Foil Pastas” By Kerin B



Food has become a part of my self-care ritual. Eating the right foods, especially healthy foods, boost my overall mood. Becoming a vegetarian was a great way to implement this ritual into my self-care routine because it ensures I will stay healthy (For the most part) and happy. With the help of a little research about what kinds of food I am putting into my body, I understood more and more about what food can actually do for you. This encouraged me to come up with recipes that could alter my well being. I experimented with my favorite kind of food and came up with this delicious recipe.
Ingredients:
  1. Butterfly Pasta (Preferably 1 bag)
  2. water
  3. Mozzarella
  4. Parmesan
  5. 2 sticks of Carrot (depending on the size of carrot)
  6. 1 bunch of Broccoli
  7. 2 Tomatoes
  8. Fresh Basil
  9. 1 Purple Onion ( purple onions add color)
  10. Peppers (Green, Red,Yellow, Orange)
  11. 1 bunch of Cilantro
  12. 2 heads of Garlic
  13. Olive Oil
  14. Oregano
  15. Salt
  16. cyan
  17. Black Pepper
  18. 1 Lemon
    *Sauces made are handmade spicy marinara and vegan tomato*
Materials:
  1. Big Glass Bowl (Suitable for baking)
  2. Bowls ( to hold Veggies)
  3. Skillet (X2)
  4. Spoon
  5. Pot ( this includes a lid for the pot)
  6. Sharp Knife
  7. Cutting Board
  1. Pasta Noodle spoon
  2. Strainer
  3. Tin Foil
  4. Oven Mitts
  5. Cheese Grater
Instructions:
Begin with pouring water into a pot reaching the halfway mark on high heat. Place this pot onto one of the back burners and add some salt to the water. Not only does this add flavor but it helps the water to boil.The water should bowl within about ten minutes. Now set the oven on 350. Proceed by grabbing a cutting board, a sharp knife, and vegetables (carrots, broccoli, peppers, onion, garlic, cilantro, tomatoes). Take a sharp knife cut a lemon in half and cut the peppers, tomatoes, and carrots into smaller pieces (there will be extra peppers place those in a zip lock baggie for next time). With the same knife cut the stem of the broccoli and cilantro off. It's important to to cut the garlic and onion last so that the smell of them don't get onto the other vegetables. A quick tip to get the exterior shell of the garlic off is to take the garlic, lay it as flat as possible, take the knife, lay it flat onto off the garlic and press down hard on it until you hear a crack. When you begin to pick the shell of you will see that it comes off quite easy. Finish this process off by cutting up the garlic into smaller pieces and don't forget about the onion. Set aside the vegetables into their own bowls. Now take the cheese grater and grate the parmesan cheese (just cut the mozzarella cheese into slices). The extra cheese can be put into a zip lock baggie and stored for later. By this time the water should be done boiling so put the heat on low, add the butterfly pasta to the water, cover it with a top, and let it sit for another ten minutes. Next grab two skillets, a spoon, half of the cut up garlic, and half of the tomatoes, salt, pepper, fresh basil, olive oil, oregano, and cyan. Place both skillets onto the front burners with medium heat. Take half of the tomatoes you already took half off and place those half into one skillet and the other half into the other skillet. Do the same for the cut up pieces of garlic you already took half of. Pour in two tablespoons of olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, fresh basil (as much as your hearts desire), and a dash of oregano into one skillet (MIX WELL). Replicate this into the second skillet but also add cyan (MIX WELL). While that simmers strain the pasta and set it aside by placing it back into the pot it was boiled in. Grab the tin foil and glass bowl. With the tin foil you will be making bowls for the pasta to sit in and bake. Make sure that you make three bowls and an extra set of tin foil wrapped around those bowls. Complete this task by placing each bowl into the bigger glass bowl. This allows the pasta to sit properly in the bowls. Now take the butterfly pasta separate an even amount into the three tin foil bowls. In one tin foil on top of the pasta place carrots and broccoli, add one of the two sauces made, and a choice of parmesan or mozzarella cheese. Within the second tin foil bowl place all four different colored peppers on top of the pasta, add one of the two sauces made, and a choice of parmesan or mozzarella cheese. For the last tin foil bowl, add garlic and onions, add one of the two sauces made, and a choice of parmesan or mozzarella cheese. To conclude place the glass bowl into
the oven for 25 minutes to allow the cheeses on top to melt and for the vegetables to cook. Take the bowl out of the oven after the 25 minuets has passed using an oven mitt and add cilantro and lemon on whichever pasta (s) you choose to give it a little kick. Enjoy! 


26 comments:

Derrick Robinson said...

Oh my gosh! These sound soooo good, Im salivating right now! Thank you for this vegetarian option for me to make for myself!!!

Anonymous said...

Kerin, this recipe looks amazing. I really liked how you emphasized the importance of putting the right foods into your body and how it influences your well being. The food looks great too!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love pasta, so I cant wait to try something new! I would like to start off by saying how impressed I am that you were able to use your vegetarianism and knowledge of foods to create something so innovative and delicious. In regards to your writing, the instructions were very clear and precise. I loved how you explained why we were adding something to the mixture, for example, why we were adding salt to the water, as well as tips to make doing certain steps much easier. It makes learning this recipe so easy!

-Julia Lozano

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. Looking at the image attached at the bottom has my mouth watering, and after reading the steps I know how to make it. This seems like a very tasty vegetarian dish. My sister is vegetarian so perhaps I will share this with her. Thank you for writing! ~ Nathan Sandoval

Anonymous said...

I would have never thought of this recipe! Definitely going to have to try it out since I love pasta. I like how you included a picture of the finished result as well as very clear instructions on how to make the dish.

Rebeca Sandes said...

Learning about what goes into your body is a great thing to do. Finding food that is good for your body and good to eat can be difficult sometimes. The instruction you gave were really helpfully and written in a great way.

Nathan McDonnell said...

You did a great job explaining how to make this I really enjoyed reading about each step and it was very easy to follow. One thing that i really enjoyed was the fact you gave a list of materials along with a list of ingredients. Your instructions were all very clear, thorough and easy to follow which i'm going to be honest i didn't expect considering it was in a paragraph format but I was pleasantly surprised that it was so understandable.

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing you post this on your story and I thought it looked absolutely delicious! I am so glad that you typed the recipe for this because I wanted to make them myself! Thank you for this! - Breana Plascencia

Gabriella Merino said...

Kerin!! These sound so delicious and I will definitely be trying this recipe out. I loved to hear about what food means to you and how you’ve used it as a way to better you and your overall health. You explained each step well, made it easy to follow, and even shared some much appreciated tips (smashing the garlic with the knife makes it sooo much easier to pull the peel off). You also added a picture of the end product which is as much helpful as it is tempting. Everything looks great! Well done!

Anonymous said...

The instruction you had were easy to follow so I can not wait to try ,and I agree with you Food has become a self ritual and we need to be aware how we are taking care of our body. Thanks for a great recipe can't wait to try something new.

Wendy Castillo said...

I really enjoyed how you inserted tips into the recipe, such as how to peel your garlic and how easy it was to follow. I also admired how you came up with this recipe while being vegetarian!

Anonymous said...

What a different way to make pasta and a delicious way too! I can't wait to try this recipe out for myself and enjoy this delicious meal or snack. You even made the instructions clear to follow and all the ingredients needed to make it.

Isabella Patterson said...

First, I would like to say the final product looks so good and now I am hungry. I love how you began by giving the situation on why you learned to make the dish. All of the instructions were very clear and should be easy to follow when I try this recipe later. It was written just like I would expect in a professional cookbook, but there was more personality infused into the writing. Thank you for teaching me a new recipe. -Isabella Patterson

Anonymous said...

I love your instructional piece! As a person who has a hard time cooking, I am able to easily understand your instructions. I also love how you organized your piece: from the ingredients, to materials, then instructions! Your meal that you made looks and sounds so delicious! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Anonymous said...

I usually don't cook very often but reading through this how-to really encourages me to do so! The detail in your piece was so helpful even a fool could cook this recipe. Thank you for sharing this! - Aaron P

Anonymous said...

Kerin! I didn't know you could cook so well! I am going to have to try this recipe soon with that delicious looking picture that you added. I really appreciate all the details you put to properly create the meal; I'm not the best cook so I'll need them. Thanks for the tips! - Hannah Colunga

Unknown said...

Yes Kerin you did do that! I for sure gotta try this because I'm always looking for new foods to make and try. I was vegetarian for 6 months then I fell off path. After I gather a book off vegetarian recipes I'm thinking about trying it again.
-Dahrien Trotter

Unknown said...

Yes Kerin you did do that! I for sure gotta try this because I'm always looking for new foods to make and try. I was vegetarian for 6 months then I fell off path. After I gather a book off vegetarian recipes I'm thinking about trying it again.
-Dahrien Trotter

Unknown said...

Wow! These sound so good! I'm definitely going to try this. They look so good! a big thanks for sharing your recipe with us. I bet they taste fantastic. - kayla j

Meagan Gifford said...

Kerin! This sounds so delicious and the way you worded your instructions made it easy to follow through out. Thanks for giving me a new recipe to try with my family! :)

Nathan Guevarra said...

In the beginning I like how you described making food in general helps you personally and comforts you especially at bad times. But in this case you turned it around on us, you gave us not only the ingredients, the steps, but the personal experience and enjoyment you had on making these tin foil pastas. Overall your writing was excellent, might have to try this recipe on my own!

jolyei griffith said...

I was thinking about going vegetarian for the new year so I will be definitely trying this! italian food is my favorite and your steps are so easy to follow and enjoyed how you explained the importance of this recipe in your life.

Nathaniel Patterson said...

Thank you for sharing these recipe with us, the instructions were very easy to follow and detailed. The picture at the end made it even better. Thanks again - Nathaniel Patterson (PS. will try soon)

Xzavion Williams said...

Wow! I'm definitely going to try to make this mouth watering dish. I really liked when you included how this dish helps you personally.

Madia Wright said...

I totally agree, its always fun experimenting with new recipes and this looks so good! The cooking instructions were so easy to follow! Love the fresh ingredients, so many different textures, can't wait to try! ;)
-Madia Wright

Anonymous said...

we love that! Thank you!