Pages

Monday, November 27, 2017

"How to: Successfully Resell Clothes and Sneakers on the Internet. " BY: DeAndre S



As a person who appreciates clothing, I’ve discovered that there is an aftermarket for certain brands of clothing and some clothing retains or even exceeds the retail value after purchasing it. Learning about the resale market is sort of like learning about the stock market, the value of a clothes go up and down, increase over time, decrease suddenly, just as stocks do. It is a very hard market to understand but with research and an understanding of the clothes itself will go along way with reselling your clothes and sneakers successfully. (DISCLAIMER: not all clothes have resell so don’t expect to resell your Stussy t shirts or Pink sweaters for more than what you paid for!)(Another DISCLAIMER: The writing of this How-To post does not mean I advocate reselling. This post is purely for educational purposes only. In fact, I strongly dislike the act of buying just to resell. Let the people that want to buy to wear BUY IT. But that’s just me (: )
  1. 1)  Know what pieces are “hyped” or what the famous people are wearing
    1. a)  “Hype” basically means that the piece is a very sought after. Look for pieces with
      very high demand alongside very little supply. An example of this is a NYC based brand called Supreme. Supreme purposefully keeps their supply very low to promote longevity for the brand. With demand very high, Supreme will always be that cool brand that nobody has simply because there isn’t much pieces floating around, which is why many will pay significantly more money than retail to acquire it.
    2. b)  Many people look up to famous people whether that may be music artists, rappers, actor/actresses, etc. Many people mimic the style of famous people such as Justin Bieber to impose the idea of others that wearing that “Purpose Tour” hoodie will make them cooler. An example of this is a brand called Off-White in which Justin Bieber wore a camouflage jacket made by the brand and the brand completely blew up. The clothing and sneakers created by Off-White are very sought after right now with very high resale value
    3. c)  Not all pieces from a hyped brand will have resale value. Supreme, the most resellable brand out now, have pieces that resell for under retail such as their flannels. This is another reason why you have to understand streetwear scene so you don’t buy the wrong piece and get stuck with it because no one wants it.
  2. 2)  Actually buy the pieces you want to resell.
a) This is actually the hard part because if the product is easy to get, then there
would be no resell. Some of clothing and sneakers released by certain brands sell out in SECONDS so you just have to be quick and lucky. Know the websites and the stores that carry these brands and know their release times as they are sure to sell out in a blink of an eye. For example, Supreme releases are on Thursdays, 11AM EST and some pieces sell out within 2 seconds
i) BONUS TIP: To be even faster on online drops, use autofill. It will shave off precious seconds you need to beat out the others trying to buy.
3) Know the market you want to sell to.
  1. a)  There are some shoes and clothing that are worth a lot more in one city than another city. The certain style in a certain area definitely affects the resale and overall demand for a certain piece. For example, A Stone Island x Supreme puffer jacket in Southern California vs a Stone Island x Supreme puffer jacket in NYC. The Mag Park (SoCal based) has the jacket listed for $1400 while Stadium Goods (NYC based) has sold the jacket for $2000. Pick out pieces that suit the area you live in for the best results.
  2. b)  There are different platforms that are better than others in getting the right crowd for you clothes. For example: 1) Grailed is best for selling hyped streetwear. 2) Depop is best for selling vintage clothing. 3) Specialized subreddits and Facebook groups are best to look for steals and deals
4) List it at the right price
  1. a)  The pricing is difficult as some pieces start off with low resell then gradually
    increase their value over time and vice versa, with high resell right after it sells
    out then gradually decreases over time.
  2. b)  A good rule of thumb is that if you want to sell quick, you sell under market value.
    You’ll get many offers that way. If you don’t mind waiting until value goes up, there won’t be as many offers but you will get near max or even max value of your piece.
And that’s it! It’s basic economics if you think about it. Those are some good general things to think about on how to resell successfully.

31 comments:

Adrian Arteaga said...

Great job on your blog post DeAndre. This post is actually helpful to me because I've been trying to purchase some Off-White clothing and other different brand clothing, but my friends told me about reselling some of that clothes and make some money. I'm not a person that buys things and then sells them later to make some money, but your post was very helpful.

Joshua Duque said...

Thank you for sharing this info on reselling street wear. The entire market and industry of street wear is interesting but can also be confusing to a lot of people.. The information you gave was enlightening and also easy to understand for those who don't entirely know about the value of Supreme and Off-White.

Brandon Yun said...

Great way to educate the people. Thorough details on the business and great insight into the mind of an experienced person in the business

Paarth Joshi said...

Wow, DeAndre, this really makes want to go out and resell clothes! The instructions you gave were really clear and easy to follow! I really feel informed on everything surrounding the culture of reselling clothes. Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

This was so informative for me because some friends of mine resell and I never understood the process of it or how anything worked. So this gave me a full understanding of what they think of. The way you explained and broke everything down was excellent. After reading this I could definitely resell and know what I am doing.

K'Lynn Davis said...

I loved this!! As a young teen that wants to make as much money as they can this helped with that. I love how you were super descriptive. I also like the way this was formatted to made it easy to follow along. Thank you for helping us make more money as teens!

Megan Jenkins said...

This piece was very informative! I never knew reselling clothing included so much thought and planning. I thought it was interesting and insightful that you need to buy and sell items that suit the location you’re in, I never would have even thought about that. Great job!

Unknown said...

Really interesting article. I myself don't really think about the clothes that I have as much because I'm so busy, but I know that there a lot of clothes that I don't wear. I probably won't be able to sell my old old clothes, but there are some that I bought recently that I don't wear. Thanks to you, it was brought to my attention. Thanks! I'll be sure to keep your tips in mind!

Jeremiah Credo
Period 1

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading this. It informed me of how the resale market works. You stating this "how to" step by step and being straight to the point made it easier for me to understand and I feel like I can be resell stuff. I really like how you talked about Justin Bieber. Furthermore Good job deAndre! Great piece.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I agree with your claim as I don’t like people who buy just to resell because it makes it harder for the person who actually wants to wear the clothing, to obtain. Also, this piece was very interesting about the whole process in terms of which pieces will go up in value and how certain pieces of clothing from hyped brands sometimes do not. I enjoyed this blog very much as it was very well detailed and I got to learn more about the value process, thanks for sharing, great job!

Dylan Nelson said...

As someone who has gone through the resale and consignment process before I can say it’s not always easy, and this is a very detailed and explanatory piece that anyone could understand!

Anonymous said...

You can tell just by reading this that this is something you are passionate about. It so cool to see how in detail you are able to go and how educated you are about a world that some people are oblivious to. Good job!

Unknown said...

This is very great! I found this very useful in how to be able to make money & cleaning out your closet, allowing you do even more shopping to get new things. I believe this is very organized and has a goo amount of detail.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the information. I know reselling clothes especially ones of high value can be a challenging thing to do. My favorite part about your write up is how to set the right pricing for a product. When selling, people will tend to make low offers that cause a seller to lose money so it's important to know a good amount of information on the product you're selling.
Austyn Coleman
Period 1

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the information. Reselling clothes and sneakers is a difficulty especially when they are used. They you make it sound is that you have everything planned and organized. Now I know how to make money with this info! Great job! Erick Gutierrez per.4

Andrew Brown said...

DeAndre, the greatest Hype Beast around, you crushed it with this How to. I loved how much you know about this topic and I can not agree more with your wish that people would just let others, who intend to wear the clothes, buy the pieces. I loved how you kept it almost completely free of opinion. Great writing!

Unknown said...

I've been wanting to learn how to resell and your guide is helping me! Each step was written well. I like the fact that you didn't forget to explain some terms and this added to the guide being very simple. Great job!

Anonymous said...

This is Great! Thanks for explaining a part of street wear culture to others. This will help me decide on what to get for this week's Supreme drop.

Unknown said...

Great job on this piece deandre! This really helped me understand the culture of hypebeasts and I plan to start by making an investment in the box logo hoodies dropping on December 7th

Ty said...

It's so interesting how involved most high school students have become in the economics of resale. It fascinates me to see how carefully operations are thought out before a drop and how meticulous the research is to successfully resale items. I'm not really into any of this, but my brother is, and I always thought he was wasting his time with reselling clothes, but you opened my mind to the possibilities waiting in this industry.

Unknown said...

This story was really informative. Ii had never heard about reselling, but it's a good way to make money and update your wardrobe on a regular. I also liked the use of the economic terms and this story might inspire me to try it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I would’ve never thought a blog post about reselling items would be this interesting. I personally never really got into reselling my old items online, but after reading your post, I feel like it’s easy enough for anyone, including myself, to do it! I like how you’re especially informative on which locations would provide better markets for some items, like the Stone Island x Supreme puffer jackets in California vs NYC. Overall, this was very informative and interesting, great job! :)
-Carianne Lefebvre

Anonymous said...

Will definitely use this to get into the resale market. Your extensive guide shows just how knowledgeable you are on the subject and is very detailed. I like how you explained the mentalities you should have as the seller and know the mentalities of the buyer which gives you the edge. Great job I going to go buy supreme now.

Alexander Okonkwo said...

I think the most helpful part of this article were the tips on actually buying clothes to resell. The only clothes worth reselling are the ones that are very limited, which is why resellers often find themselves in a race to buy limited edition items. Your tip involving using auto-fill to speed up the check out process will no doubt help me on my journey to buying a Supreme Hoodie. Thank you!

Megan Radford said...

I found this piece so informative! I never really knew anything about reselling but after reading your how to, it is amazing to me how much thought and dedication goes into it. Great job breaking down the process and making it easy to follow!

Unknown said...

DeAndre, I am impressed with your knowledge on a topic of this sort at such a young age. I am thankful that you decided to share your passion with us as this isn't just any poorly written how-to. Off of this piece alone I can get into this field. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Deandre this was very informative. I am glad that you decided to talk about this because I can see that it is something you are very passionate about. I feel like I can use this to become one of the best resellers in the game.
Steve Martinez P.1

Unknown said...

Your post was very informative and I feel confident after reading it that I can successfully sell my clothes. Your disclaimer at the beginning made the piece more professional and it was a smart decision to protect yourself. This seems like it is a passion of yours and it pleasantly surprised me that you have so much knowledge about this topic because it is interesting. I cannot say that I know many people who know how to resell clothes like an experienced businessman. Great job!
-Elizabeth Rivera

Unknown said...

I'm impressed with your knowledge on this topic and how you've highlighted a major market that is gaining traction right now. I wasn't much for streetwear or even reselling it but thanks to this piece I would be able to successfully enter the reselling market if I'm ever interested thanks to your how-to.

Anonymous said...

I've noticed how many people resell clothing items now a days and it's interesting to see how it was done. Great explanation and instruction! Great job very informative!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this information !! I didn’t know how reselling clothing was done but now I do! It was very informative! Thank you and great job !!