Pages

Monday, December 7, 2015

"How To: Grand Marnier Soufflé "by Zoe W




            I feel like the soufflé is the perfect dessert for a romantic Christmas.  It’s warm, very light, and has an ethereal feeling to it- it’s like you’re eating clouds! Soufflés are often expensive when they’re sold in restaurants or cafés, and the media makes them seem like a challenge to make! In reality, it’s fairly easy once you know what you’re up against.  The soufflé is one of my favorite desserts to eat and make and I’ve made them countless times, especially around Christmas.  Below is an in-depth recipe that I’ve come up with after trial-and-error.
For 3 8-ounce ramekins
Ingredients*:
*all measurements are approximate
·         Preparation:
o   some room temperature butter
o   some white sugar
·         Batter:
o   10 teaspoons melted butter
o   10 teaspoons app-purpose flour
o   ½ cup cold milk
o   3 egg yolks
o   2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
o   2 tablespoon brandy-based orange liqueur (Grand Marnier) [may substitute with orange juice]
o   Less than 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
·         Meringue:
o   3 egg whites
o   ½ cup white sugar
o   1/8 cream of tartar (optional)
·         Garnish
o   Powdered sugar (optional)
Prep:
Normally, the first thing recipes would tell you to do is to preheat your oven, but we are going to do this later.  The first thing you should do is to wash and dry 3 8-ounce ramekins.  Take a stick of butter (preferably room-temperature so that it spreads easier) and smear the bottom and the sides of the ramekins with the butter.  Then, take about a tablespoon of white sugar and put it in one of the ramekins.  The mission: cover the sides and bottom of the ramekin with sugar.  To do this, simply tilt the ramekins to coat it with sugar.  The butter should allow the sugar to stick easily.  Dump the excess sugar into the next ramekin and repeat to all ramekins.  The importance of this step is so ensure that the soufflé rises straight-up and it also increases its life-span (slightly) before it deflates when taken out of the oven. 
Making the batter:
            The soufflé is one of those unique desserts that are actually cooked twice- kind of- over the stovetop and then in the oven.
In a trusty saucepan, melt 4 teaspoons of butter over medium-low heat.  Once the butter has melted, stir in the 10 teaspoons of flour. Keep stirring the mixture until it smells fragrant (like buttery-goodness) and turns a light golden color (this takes about 2-3 minutes).  Lower the heat and pour in the milk slowly (to prevent burning and the revival of the splash zone).  Return the heat to normal and resume stirring the mixture until all combined.  It should look like a smooth, thick paste that begins to lump together (doesn’t stick to the sides of the pan anymore).  Turn off the heat.  Congratulations, you just made béchamel (fancy word that just means a white-sauce base) J
            Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.  Mix in orange zest, orange juice, vanilla, egg yolks until all smooth.  Set aside.
Meringue (kind-of):
            Whenever bakers hear “meringue”, they either have a really positive response or a really negative one.  Making a meringue should be simple and easy- in theory- but it is equally easy to screw up badly even before you start. 
            Some pointer tips:
o   Make sure that your bowl is NOT plastic or made of wood. 
o   Make sure that your bowl and utensils are free from any grease/oils.  It has to be sparkly clean!! If you’re not sure or want to be cautious, try rubbing a slice of lemon over the inside of the bowl (but make sure the bowl isn’t wet when you use it). 
o   Your eggs, preferably, should be room-temperature.  If they are fresh from the fridge, it’s harder to whip them up to potential volume.  If your eggs are not room-temp, a quick way to improvise is to submerge the eggs in a room-temp water bath and leave them there for about 10 minutes. 
o   Meringues are sensitive to the cold.
o   When separating the whites from the yolks, it’s okay for some whites to be with the yolk, but it is NOT okay for some yolk to mix with the whites.  If there is even a speck of yolk in the whites, the whites WILL NOT whip for the life of the unborn soufflé.  The only thing you can do is to discard the whites and start all over.
In a meringue-friendly bowl, whip the egg whites (normally, I would use a hand-mixer, but if you have guests or a date over that you want to impress (or maybe you want a workout?) you can whip the mixture by hand, although it would take longer).  Add in cream of tartar if you have some.  When it starts to become frothy, gradually add in ½ cup of sugar in portions while mixing.  BEWARE not to overmix; stop mixing when the mixture consistency is like shaving cream.  You do not want soft-peaks or stiff-peaks (terminology used to describe which of the two commonly used stages in whipping cream or egg whites.  At stiff-peak stage, the egg whites would be considered to be a meringue). 
Final Stage:
            You may take this moment to preheat the oven to 400°F. 
            In the next steps, the rubber spatula will be your best friend.  Take a quarter of the kind-of meringue mixture and mix it into the batter mixture.  Take another quarter of the meringue and fold it into the batter (mixing and folding are different! In folding, try not to deflate the meringue’s volume- in other words, be gentle!!).  The reason for these two steps is to lighten-up the batter so that it will be easier to mix in the rest of the meringue.  FOLD in the remaining meringue.  The result should be a very light and voluminous mixture. 
            Distribute the batter among the 3 ramekins and stick them into the oven for about 15 minutes (depends on the oven) or until lightly brown and risen.  Keep a close eye on the soufflés after 12 minutes because you want to catch them when they’re nicely golden. 
            Remember, soufflés deflate VERY quickly after taking it out of the oven even with all precautions.  If you plan to garnish it with powdered sugar, have that ready near the table it will be served.  To nicely garnish, take about a tablespoon of powdered sugar and sift it onto the soufflé.
            Have your camera ready when it’s just out of the oven to catch its moment of maximum fluffiness.  



47 comments:

Hanna Brookshier said...

Oh my goodness. This is spectacular. The instructions are very clear and descriptive that I can go home right now and make this for all of my friends! I'm not even a cook! The meringue always screws over my mom when she cooks anything with it, so to have a clear understanding of it is nice to have. I'm seriously going to go try this out for Christmas and the Holidays. Thanks Zoe for such an easy to follow recipe!

Unknown said...

Zoe you never disappoint me with your cooking and baking skills! The instructions are very clear, precise and are in great detail! It is very easy to follow along with! I might try the recipe out myself! The pictures of them look beautiful and tasty! Great job!
-Brenda Do P.1

Anonymous said...

Omg!!! Okay great job on having it very well written. You made is so clear and very descriptive for us the readers. My mom always has trouble with the cooking time, so i think she will be happy to see these tips. We are so trying this-this Christmas. The pictures look amazing. GREAT JOB, Zoe.
-Ashley Garcia
per.4

Unknown said...

I'm glad this is the first submission I saw when the blog loaded on my browser. After following you on Instagram for quite some time, I've always wanted to try some of the pastries you've expertly crafted.

Your instructions for this "How-To" are extremely clear and easy to understand, especially for amateur bakers like myself. I like that you addressed and debunked the negative stereotypes about soufflés, as not to discourage your readers who actually want to make a soufflé. You did a great job planning out this blog entry. From the descriptive step-by-step instructions, to the helpful precautions, and finally the fluffy end result, this entire recipe flowed consistently and was simple to follow.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deborah Fraire said...

Those look delicious! I will have to give this a try! Good job on explaining the steps!
- Deborah Fraire
- Period 1

Unknown said...

oh my god. I've always wanted to know how to make souffle! Definitely going to steal this!!
Aside from the great instructions, I really enjoyed the snippets of comic relief that you included to add a more fun vibe to the conventional drab of recipes; especially when you wrote: "If you have guests or a date over that you want to impress (or maybe you want a workout?)". That comment actually made me laugh. Thanks for make recipes more exciting to read, it actually really makes you more interested in making the souffle.

Anonymous said...

The images of the souffle definitely convinced me to try this recipe! My mom adores souffles and is constantly complaining that she can't find a restaurant that serves a "real" souffle. So hopefully I can make this for my mom someday and curb her cravings. I really enjoyed the style you wrote this recipe. It was definitely entertaining, but never loses sight of the true purpose- teaching how to make the dessert. Your explicit instructions are definitely going to be helpful in my attempts to make this for my mom. Let's pray they turn out as well as yours did!
Sabrina H
Period 2

Unknown said...

These look and sound delicious. I'm always looking for a new recipe to try, so I'll have to try this one. Great job explaining how to make them :)
-Emily French
Period 5

samantha Quintanilla said...

Yo!! This is great! i love baking and this is such a good recipe. Your instructions were super clear and very "step by step". The style you wrote this in was humorous in some parts which made it fun to read and kept my focus,i really want to try this out now. I'm really impressed with your baking skills because those pictures looked great too, this is by far the best recipe that I've read on this blogs! Really fantastic job, it loved the whole thing and thanks for the new recipe!

Unknown said...

This definitely put me into the Christmas mood! Your recipe was very detailed and very funny. You have a talent of inserting yourself into a piece while still keeping it professional. Thank you for writing this! I enjoyed reading it!

Alexis Carmona said...

OMG Zoe!!! These sound so good. While I was reading this I felt like you were right in front of my telling me what to do. You make baking these sound so easy! Definitely will attempt to make these during Christmas. Again you did a really great job Zoe!!
-Alexis Carmona
Period 5

Anonymous said...

As a person who can't cook to save their life, I love this post. It was very informative and pretty funny. I'm glad you added yourself into the instructions to make it less monotonous. I want to try making this now- even though I may find a way to make it inedible with my "cooking skills". Great entry though!
Natalia Garcia
Period 2

Anonymous said...

I personally am terrible at cooking, but this was very well put together and seems quite easy to follow! Very clear and descriptive. I'm thinking about maybe trying this during Christmas break for some holiday baking :-) Thanks for the idea!
-Abby Elvis
Period 3

Anonymous said...

You wrote this amazingly detailed!! I love it, it seems so easy to follow and put together ,but I highkey know I'm gonna fail at making this. But it's worth the shot! Thank you!!
-Destynee Torres
Period 1

Unknown said...

The instructions are so well written and detailed! Usually, recipes are so impersonal and detached but yours is so different! I really love the fact that you incorporated humor into this because it makes it so entertaining to read. The pictures that you added look so delicious (the soufflé looks so poofy and nice!!) and completely convinced me to make it when I have time. Thank you! You did a wonderful job, Zoe!!

Fiona Cheung
Period 3

Unknown said...

Zoe!!! When I saw the title, I clicked on it immediately because it had food in the title and your name in it. I remember when you used to bake me desserts and I loved every single one you've made me. I'm glad you made a "how to make" because I honestly love your baking and I'm excited to try out this recipe. Your instructions are well written and extremely detailed. Great job Zoe!

Daveena San
Period 2

Unknown said...

Woah!!!! This is pretty awesome. I always struggled with whipping egg whites and now I know why. Anyways, this is an awesome how-to piece; not only did you deliver the recipe really well, you also added your own flare and your own voice to the recipe. Good job, no great job!
-Oge Okafor Period 5

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading this because I love baking and I would really like to try making a souffle, its something I've never made before and wouldn't mind doing it myself. The directions were really easy to follow and understand!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this cool recipe. I loved how you used many descriptive words and phrases like "warm and light" and "eating clouds" in the introduction. The intro, alone, persuaded me to make this dessert in the future. It won't be too hard to make this because the directions were clear and easy to follow. Also, I like how you took a picture of the soufflé while in the oven and after when it was done. Nice job!

Jessie Santos
Period 1

Anonymous said...

I loved this Zoe! I have never craved or ever wanted soufflé, but the way you described the desert changed my mind. I liked how you described how the desert is supposed to look like and I like how you included the proper technique. I can't wait to try this!

Unknown said...

I really liked this and how you explained how to make this desert. I do struggle to make deserts but I will try this one out.
Lailah Harris
7:35 pm
12/13/15

DanelleAngeline said...

Zoe! After following your social media, the amazing desserts you make always gives me cravings, so I'm incredibly happy that you've shared with us the recipe for one of the many delicious entrees you have the talent to make. I especially appreciate your initial description of souffles, reassuring all your readers that this seemingly difficult dish is definitely doable. The fact you back up that statement with precise and understandable directions only strengthens this piece. Thank you for sharing with us one of your many talents ^^

Danelle Angeline Baronia
Period 2

Anonymous said...

I love this! Personally, I am a huge fan of baking and I enjoy looking up recipes online. I was really excited to read through this when I saw the title and it said "souffle". Your instructions are very clear and easy to follow. Also, it helped a lot that you included pictures of your masterpiece! I would definitely love to try this out some time.

-Noelle Mariano
Period 2

Unknown said...

I was really excited when I saw your post because whenever I see your instagram pictures of all of your delicious pastries, I want to try making them myself! Since soufleés are typically more difficult desserts I 've been hesitated in trying them. All the other recipes online intimidate me with their specific, culinary words so I'm thankful that you make it clear and easy in mentioning the directions! Adding the pictures also help so I can picture what my end product should look like. I'm definitely going to try this, thank you Zoe ^^

Amber Tacderan
Period 2

Unknown said...

Woah! I am definitely not a chef, but you made that sound very delicious and much more simple than it actually looks. I can hear my tummy growling by just looking and reading about this mouthwatering desert. Very good job on being descriptive and giving lots and lots of advice. I really enjoyed how you made this Christmas-related. Now I can attempt to bake something for my family and share this appetizing recipe. I cannot wait to taste this!

Unknown said...

This looks like it tastes amazing!!! I think you did a great job with the instructions for the soufflé and made them very clear and concise. This has inspired to make this over break and i can't wait to seesaw good it tastes. I never would have thought of even trying to make a souffle before this because of how difficult it is to successfully execute one but these instructions make me feel that its not so hard. Overall great job!
Leslie Rocha
Per.2

Unknown said...

These souffles were délicieuse (delicious) since my sister and I followed your recipe to the letter. We made them and they turned out great! Great job on how you formatted the instructions and you did an awesome job on making these souffles.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the perfect dessert for christmas! After finals my sister and I plan on making them now. Your introduction was really reassuring that it can be something fun to make again and again instead of having to buy. Now I have something to bond over with my sister.
Jeannette Martinez
Period 2

Unknown said...

Wow, this looks delicious. Thank you for making this how to. Way to add that last part about the soufflé deflating fast. That will really help with making it. I will have to try this soon

Anonymous said...

I must say after seeing those pictures, iam very tempted to making this. This is actually the perfect time to make these delicacies and with the instructions that you provided these are very simple to make. I hope to make these because they look so good!

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh. Every step made my mouth water. Thank you so much for opening my world to this amazing pastry. including the pictures and cautions made the whole recipe even more user-friendly. I vow to make these every morning during Christmas break

Sean Powers
Per.2

Anonymous said...

Per. 3*

Anonymous said...

The most complicated thing I can cook is cereal. But with your vivid description of this confection, I felt like I could go downstairs right now and make it happen! Definitely one of this websites most appetising entries!
Eloy Guzman
Per. 2

Unknown said...

This recipe looks very complicated but looking at the picture gives me second thought about making it. t looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Wow my mouth was watering the entire time I was reading your how to. I'm definitely going to try this at home and attempt to make them just as good as you. I loved how very detailed you were in every one of your instructions, especially in describing what to do and what not to do like when you explained about the meringue. Looks like they turned out really good for you and they look nice and fancy too haha. Good job.
Cogswell period 5
Alicia Alcaraz

Unknown said...

Thanks for a new recipe , now I can tell my mom I got baking covered for Christmas. This was very well written and I enjoyed every mind of it . Great Job!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is very well written and i definitely want to give this a shot and i'm going to show my family this recipe for them to make it for Christmas.
Ray Kemas
4th period

Unknown said...

I definitely know what I am baking during the break. This was well written and straight to the point. Thank you for the share! I can't wait to make it!

Unknown said...

I definitely know what I am baking during the break. This was well written and straight to the point. Thank you for the share! I can't wait to make it!

Unknown said...

This cooking lesson is so adorable. Your descriptive steps and cute comments add to the overall adorable theme. I reaaally appreciated when you addressed the possible mistakes during making a making a souffle. Your evidence at the end is very convincing that I need to go replace my broken ramekins for some Christmas theme ones.

Unknown said...

This sounds delicious and with these instructions I could cook this no problem and I can't cook hot pockets can't wait to cook this

Unknown said...

This is so amazing Zoe! I want to actually try and make this. Your directions seem easy to follow and this recipe would be great for the holidays.

Anonymous said...

This looks sooooo amaazing! your instructions were super clear and detailed and i really enjoyed this. I really want to try and make these this christmas! amazing job!
Legend Holman p.3

Unknown said...

Wow! I love how the intructions are so easy to follow,good job this looks like an amazing holiday treat to have with the family.Nice job on this!

Unknown said...

Great job! Absolutely loved how straight forward you made it.
Christian Ortega
P5

Anonymous said...

You did a great job with this story it was truly a master piece of deliciousness. Do you want to be a chef?
Marco Garcia-Ordaz per.4