Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

“Angels in Disguise” by Lucia G


For as long as I can remember, my household always seemed to be extremely crowded, and very loud but definitely never boring. I’m so proud to say that in my life I have been given the great blessing of having many brothers and sisters all varying of age, race, and amazing personalities. At a very early age in my life, I was given the opportunity to get to know them through the program of foster care which not only inspired me to pursue the field of social work but taught me that difficult times bring out the best in us.
My parents, whom I admire so much for this, decided to become foster parents at a very early time in their lives. The size of my household at the time, when they were working for their agency, permitted us to be able to take in up to four kids. This may, or may not, seem like a lot but added on to my sister, my brother, and I, trust me it was! Our regular weekday mornings were always a hassle having to get each other up and running and then going to two to three schools, under an hour, attempting to get there on time; this didn’t always happen. Now, our weekends, were even crazier but always really fun. They always consisted of humongous breakfasts, huge messes, and a lot of outrageous conversations. Regardless of the fact that each day seemed to get more and more hectic, each child came to have an enormous emotional impact in my life.
Out of all of the children we cared for, there were three that most definitely surpassed the rest. Raymond (5) so silly and very energetic managed to always bring a smile to my face. Despite their situation he managed to remain very optimistic and strong for his younger brother and sister. Reanne (3) aka my “hot drama mama”, as I called her, was always so sweet and being her sassy-self putting her hand on her waist and puckering her huge “Jolie” lips.  Seriously, she was like a mini model. Lastly but certainly not least, Andrew (2). He was always the baby of the family and our little football player. It was strange how close me and he got because it seemed as if I was the only one that could get him to do anything, although eating was definitely never a problem with him. Overall, they were amazing and happy kids but the difficulty of their case and of their family would at times really bring them down.
Unfortunately, bringing them into our lives didn’t only mean expecting great moments because we were made well-aware of the fact that at some point we would be forced to say goodbye. Their case was not very easy for them at all. Their social workers were constantly battling even getting their parents to show up to the court dates nonetheless their visits. Their grandparents, although very sweet people, were also not physically fit to care for them and this broke their hearts. It was through these three kid’s particular story that I was able to learn the true meaning behind becoming a foster parent. It didn’t only compose of giving them a temporary place to stay but more importantly to serve as a sort of distraction to them. We, as a family, made it our goal to give the children all the attention and the love they deserved throughout their stay. Living with them for almost two entire years, the longest case we had ever dealt with, we created many irreplaceable memories. Unfortunately, we also constantly witnessed their disappointment in their little faces caused by their parents’ carelessness. Despite how heartbreaking this was, this all changed when we were offered the unique opportunity of adopting them.
I know what you must be thinking, that we went ahead and adopted them but regrettably that was not the case. You see, at the time, we were in the process of getting a new home which we thought would be alright but it happened to come in conflict with the foster agency. They only gave us a certain amount of time to say yes and due to everything getting extremely complicated we were forced to say no for the time being. Therefore the agency went ahead and introduced the kids to other family’s attempting to adopt and we hoped that maybe we could have time to settle the house situation and that they wouldn’t get adopted too quickly, but to no avail. They were, and still are, amazing kids therefore the list of families grew very quickly. It grew so quickly that in just about a month of visits with them, an adoptive family decided on them. Yes, it was hard to see how fast they were slipping away but some part of me told me that this family, the Robinsons, were a perfect match for them! I mean the kids fell in love with them right away. The adoptive mother, a middle school teacher, wasn’t able to have children of her own, therefore the love and excitement she had to offer just radiated out of her. I knew she was perfect. And the adoptive father, well he was just a big papa bear always making them laugh; I knew he was perfect too. We knew that they were the best option for the kids, better than what we could offer even, and so we suppressed our feelings and let them go.
             I can’t deny the fact that it took me a long time to surpass this but I know it was not for granted. I understand that it was in God’s plan for us to go through this. I was able to learn that working with kids is definitely something I want to pursue. Not only that, I came to make it one of my dreams to open my own foster care agency one day. Although my time with them was cut extremely short, it helped me to understand that hardships play a large role in defining who we are and who we become.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

We adopted my little brother when he was two and a half years-old. Prior to the adoption, he lived in a foster home. Your entry has changed my view of foster homes. In the past, I have often been saddened by the thought of my brother living in a foster home as a toddler; I pictured the homes as lonely and depressing. But, you have clearly shown me that the homes can just as easily be filled with joy and love, which is what hurting kids need most. I think it's awesome that you want to eventually start your own foster care agency - God is going to use you to shine His love to the brokenhearted.

-Christina Tapia

Adriene Mamaril said...

This is such a heartwarming piece. Being in the field of social work can be an emotionally and physically tough job, but I am happy that you are pursuing that field. I can tell that you have a soft spot for kids and that you will do your very best in the future. Your story made me think about how there are many kids in foster homes, and how these kids face tough situations in their lives. It is amazing that your parents committed their time to being foster parents and caring for many kids. I am sure that your family has brought great comfort to these kids.

Alyssa Sarabia said...

This was such an inspiring piece. I love how your parents took in children in need of people to give them love. Your entry really opened up my eyes and made me think of my little sisters who are close to the children's ages. I can tell how much those kids really meant to you and it brought a smile to my face when you were describing the great moments you made with those kids. I'm glad you and your family are giving your love to kids who are in tough situations by becoming a foster family. Great job on what your family is doing.

Anonymous said...

Like I told you in person this is probably my favorite piece ever hehe You're love for these kids is so evident. I think its awesome that your experience with these kids has inspired you to pursue such a selfless and giving career. This piece demonstrated so effortlessly the sweet and caring person that you are. Great job Lucia! :)
-Danieh Abu Alrub

Akelah Adams said...

It makes me happy that your time with these children has influenced you to pursue such an intense field of work and I can only hope to make the world a better place like I'm sure you will! Your story is really inspiring and I like how you added descriptions of your foster siblings. This anecdote of how l life was when they lived with you is really uplifting and the title you chose fits really well! I'm glad you shared this with us because it makes me believe in the goodness of the world.

Eva Chen said...

Lucia, this was so amazing! The images of your household are so vivid and seem so fun, and I can definitely see where you get your sunny, bright personality from! It's so great that you have found your dream job because of your family's experience, and I'm so glad that Raymond, Reanne, and Andrew found such a loving family!

Unknown said...

Your reflection on your experience with foster children was heart warming as well as heart breaking (when your family did not end up adopting the children). The love that you described for helping less fortunate children and becoming a social worker is inspiring and it is amazing how great it is for you to be able to help these kids that are in difficult places in their lives overcome these situations.

Unknown said...

From this piece I can see how truly kind you and your family are. Not many people take the time or have the patience to change thier lives in order to take in foster kids and help them change their lives for the better. I also found it very inspiring that from this experience, you would also like to take care of foster kids in the future. All the kids in the past are -and even kids in the future will be- very lucky to have you and your family care for them.

Laura Sandoval said...

Your use of description in this piece when you wrote about the kids and your life when they were with you really allowed me to understand how much you loved the kids and how much of an impact they had on you. This was such a heart-warming story and I think it is great that having that experience helped you find what it is you want to do later in life. This was a well-written piece and the fact that you gave so much background about the kids really allowed them to be the focus of this piece, further showing how much you cared for them. I also really liked that you kept the story optimistic and still gave insight into the reality of the kids’ life despite their happiness in your home. The fact that your story was so uplifting in the end because the kids found a good home and also because you were able to find the good in a sad situation left me with a smile on my face. Great Job!

Unknown said...

I was so in love with this piece. I think foster care is amazing! I've always thought about adopting children, but never had I taken being a foster parent into consideration until I read this piece. Yes, offering a child a permanent home is important, but so is being a stable loving place for a child going through a tough transition. Which is exactly what foster parents do. Deciding what I wanted to major in, in college is currently up in the air. But I always knew I wanted to work with kids, I just didn't exactly know how. Social work is something I'm definitely considering now. I'm glad that after all the tough times, everyone got their happy ending.

Alexis Santiago said...

This is such a touching piece Lucia. I've never know to much about the foster program and your story portrayed it in such a positive and uplifting way. Society always displays the system as such a dark and menacing place for the children, but you made it all seem so beautiful. I loved this piece. Great Job.

Anonymous said...

That is amazing that your family has opened up their doors to children and I'm glad that it has influenced you to pursue a career in social work (I also think you'd be a perfect fit for such a career path). Life can be disappointing ,confusing, and frustrating, but your story provides insight on the importance and influence of reflection and memories and your relaxed voice made your well-written story all the more memorable. Good Job!
-Katherine Celume

Patricia O'Leary said...

Your descriptions of the kids was too perfect! They sound like so much fun! I hope that you can see them again to see how happy they are. Your style also made me feel like your were right here in front of me just talking, which works perfect for something this personal.

Unknown said...

Your story was very refreshing because a lot of the time I hear about foster home with parents that only take the kids in only with the intent of getting the check. With that being said, it was very nice to hear that your family was so dedicated to making these little kids feel happiness and joy in their time of struggle. It was very heart warming. great Job