Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

"Stuffed Grapevine Leaves" by Michaiah S.

 

Coming from a multicultural family, I have always been intrigued learning various dishes from my family. Not only that, I love to learn about other cultures and their dishes. For instance, on my dad's side, he has a half-sister who is of Palestinian descent and has shared many of her family recipes with me. One of my favorite dishes that she has shared with my family and I are stuffed grapevine leaves. When I was little, I was hesitant to try this dish out for the first time. I found it odd and different eating a grape leaf. It's funny how I didn't even know that it would become one of my favorite dishes.

 

My aunt has been teaching this recipe for as long as I can remember. I only ever make this dish every once in a while when I visit my aunt. When we make this tasty dish, my siblings, cousins, and I all work together with my aunt to cook it. I love making grape leaves because it does require a lot of help in the kitchen, and it's a way my family and I can talk to connect and catch up. I want to share this recipe rather than a recipe from my own culture because it can be interesting to learn about and explore other cultural food other than your own. You can discover new things that you would have never thought you could ever imagine liking. I recently visited my aunt last month, and she was glad to hear that I was going to share this recipe. I recommend that you invite your friends or family over if you are planning to make this dish. It requires more than one person to make this dish which is another reason why I love it so much. Spending time with those you love is very important. I hope that you all enjoy this dish as much as I do.

 

Ingredients:

 

     40-50 grapevine leaves

 

     1 cup white rice (washed and drained)

 

     ½ lb. ground beef

 

     1 ½ tsp. Salt

 

     ¼ tsp. Pepper

 

     ½ tsp. Cinnamon

 

     2 Tbsp. butter

 

     Water

 

     Juice of one lemon water

 

Tools needed:

 

     Large mixing bowl

 

     Measuring cups/spoons

 

     saucepan

 

Instructions:

 

     The first step is to make sure if you bought grapevine leaves preserved in a jar, you need to soak them in cold water for an hour and replace the water several times. By soaking the leaves in water, it will help to eliminate the extra salt on the leaves. If the leaves have been purchased fresh, let them soak for ten minutes in hot water so that they can soften.

     Next, you will get your large mixing bowl and mix your white rice, ground beef, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and butter ingredients.


     You would then lay a single grape leaf at a time on a flat surface with the stem side facing you after mixing and put around a teaspoon of the mixture you made just above the leaf stem. Then add another teaspoon of the mixture if the leaves are larger. Be sure not to put too much mixture on the leaf as it will cause the sides to seep out while cooking.

 

     Once placing the mixture above the stem of the leaf, you are going to roll it into sort of a hotdog shape. To do this, you will fold both sides of the left and the right side of the leaf inward, then after that, roll it forward. I kind of think of it as you are making a burrito if that helps. You fold in both sides, then roll upwards. You also want to make sure that you are rolling the grapevine leaves tightly and not loose.

     After rolling up a grapevine leaf, you want to place it in the saucepan. When making the grapevine leaf rolls, you want to put them in a circular direction by first placing the stuffed grape leaves around the pot's edge, making your way to the center. Once the first layer is done, you can layer the rest of the stuffed grapevine leaves on top and repeat the same circular process.

     After all the stuffed grapevine leaves are in the pot, you are going to sprinkle them with lemon juice and fill the pot with water until the water is just above the top layer of the grape leaves.

     Then you will bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it cook for forty-five minutes with the cover on until the leaves are tender.

     Finally, they are ready to eat after cooling.



29 comments:

Hailey M Hillstock said...

Hi Michaiah! I think that its's really cool and nice that you wanted to share a recipe from a different culture. I didn't even know you could eat grapevine leaves before I read your recipe. I hope that one day I can try this recipe!

Anonymous said...

Stuffed Grapevine Leaves are actually so good! I do say so from my exreience... although my mom is the one who always makes them, this made me want try to make it too!
- Anatasia Lamiy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karis Gold said...

Wow Michaiah! I've never heard of this dish before, it looks super cool though! I love the backstory you gave about your aunt, so sweet :)

Anonymous said...

Michaiah! This is an interesting and unique recipe. I never knew this was a thing until you shared it. I loved how you introduced the recipe by sharing about your culture and how you came to make this recipe. This is a beautiful origin story. I enjoyed the simplicity of this recipe and how organized the directions were. I’m very intrigued to try this recipe and excited to see how it tastes.

Emily Folkner said...

Wow! This recipe sounds amazing, I never heard of stuffed Grapevine Leaves before this but now I can't wait to try one! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe and all the memories that come with it!

Taryn Andazola said...

This looks so cool! I can't believe I've never heard of these because they sound absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for sharing your family recipe! :)

Abigail said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe it sounds so good and I hope to make it one day. I loved the background that makes up this dish! -Abigail

Raymund Lillo said...

This definitely is something I have never heard of before but I'm always willing to try something new. The instructions you provided seem pretty straight forward so I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

Kristiana Ortiz said...

This recipe is so unique!! I have never heard or seen anything like this and I’m very interested in trying it. I really liked how detailed and clear your instructions were. Great Job!!

Elyana Steih said...

Hi ! Thank you for sharing this recipe! Being from Middle Eastern decent myself, this dish is always loved and craved by all !

Elyana Steih. said...

Hi! Thank you for sharing! Being Middle Eastern myself, this dish is always loved and craved by all! Thank you for sharing!

Kiyah Brown said...

These look really good! I have never heard of them before, but this is a new dish that I want to try now. Your recipe instructions were easy to read too!

Anonymous said...

Stuffed grape leaves are my favorite food! I find it so amazing that you can make these because whenever I make them with my mom I can never roll them correctly. The directions you gave are really well written!

Sharleen Nunez said...

WOAH!! thank you so much for sharing this!!! I've never actually heard or seen this dish ever, but I definitely have to give this a try. It looks so yummy omg!!

Anonymous said...

HI Michaiah! I love learning about different cultural foods, and I really liked this one! It so unique yet such a simple little recipe. A real step-up from just my chocolate chip cookies. THANK YOU for sharing :D

Anonymous said...

My family and I love to try new foods!! The title of this recipe had me extremely intrigued that I quickly searched "where can I get grapevine leaves." Sounds YUMMY!!!

Diego Kontorovsky said...

This recipe surprised me. I didn’t even know this could be eaten! It peaked my interest and I am glad I continued to read as this sounds very delicious. I am very interested to try this when i have the chance! Thank you for sharing this!

Alyssa Rivas said...

I did not know that grapevine leaves could be eaten! This is really cool and the process almost reminds me of making pasteles or tamales. Thank you for sharing :)

Jaeden Alo said...

This looks delicious! I am always down to try new foods and hearing about your ethnical backround makes me want to try this dish even more! Great job!

Lauryn Luera said...

This Recipe seems very cool and something I would have never known about, and I think its great how different cultures can be so unique through food. Great job showing the meaning behind the recipe and what it means to you!

Malachi Hawkins said...

I personally have never heard of this food but it looks really good! Maybe ill try and make it, I like the way you laid out the instructions very easy to read and understand-Malachi Hawkins

Neema Muteti said...

Those sound really good! They kind of remind me of the samosas my family likes to make, except with rice as well. I really want to try these

Angelina Martinez said...

Hey Michaiah! Thanks for sharing this cool recipe. I've never heard of this dish before and by the way you described it, it sounds really good! The instructions were very clear and it sounds like a fun activity to do with family.

Melissa Torres said...

I never knew of this food before this post, so thanks for exposing me to more cultural foods. It looks really good and you made the directions very clear and easy to follow!

Michelle Williamson said...

I really enjoyed reading this recipe. This is a food I genuinely did not know about before I read this. Im genuinely going to be trying this out ! I also like how you mentioned your whole family joins along to make it. I think moments like that are super important, even if its a small thing like making a dish together.

Unknown said...

Wow, i can't wait to try this out. It looks so good and its so nice to know that your family all comes together for this! - Angela Carnalla

Mya Bailey said...

Wow this looks very interesting! I've never heard of this recipe before. Thank you for showing us a different cultural dish.

Jessica Huang said...

That is so cool! As a a really white-washed asian, I tend to forget that food can have so much symbolic meaning/cultural connections associated with it. Thank you for inspiring me to look into my own cultural background through food!