Pages

Monday, April 16, 2018

"The Race" by Alejandro Q


It was a hot noon at Central Park, the easy ups were pitched in the grass and along the small spaces of shade that existed. We all waited anxiously for our turns to go up to the line, to prove ourselves for the last time. My heart was pounding like a drum in  my chest. My mouth was as dry as the desert. The hot summer sun beat down on my shoulders. I stood waiting, readying myself for the signal from my coach. The team and I had warmed up earlier, I had felt shaky the entire time. We were called up to the start line, we said a prayer hoping for everyone’s success we got in line, tense, silent, I looked over briefly at the other schools, but I knew better, my only competition was myself, to not give up or give in to the nagging in my head that was sure to come in the following minutes.
“BANG” the racing gun shot out. I took off sprinting down the hard dirt trail. My legs and arms were pumping in rhythm, “left right left right left right” I mentally told myself. I came around the first mile the clock read 6:15, seeing my teammates paces in front and behind me, we ran as a pack, we wanted to the whole race, but not all of us could keep the pace up. First it was John, then Bob, and then I fell behind, I couldn’t keep up the breakneck pace. “Not fast enough,” I muttered to myself, speeding up, signaling to my teammates behind me to keep pace with me, to try to stick together, pushing ourselves to not fall behind any further. I saw other racers pass us, one by one, we tried to stay with them, and managed to pass a few, but our  energy was fading fast. The two mile mark was nearing, 12: 45. We were invigorated by our falling time, we began sprinting trying desperately to catch up to the group ahead, but our limbs were too tired and our breaths too ragged. We set our sights on the the finish line, a few minutes, seconds away, I was falling behind, my teammates urged and pushed me to keep the pace, “just a little longer” they promised. John pointed a few yards ahead of him, a pair of runners, “we can’t let them beat us.”  With one last burst of effort and determination we ran to catch up, John passed me on the last little hill, he beat the pair, Bob and myself managed to pass one on the final sprint to the finish line. 19:02, 5 seconds from a personal record, minutes away from contributing to the team placement, but it was over and we had run our hardest.
My heart hammered in my chest, my lungs sucked in the dry air of the day, hurting with every breath. I felt like throwing up, I walked with slow and deliberate steps focusing on not moving to violently, I needed water and shade, my shirt clung to me from sweat and my knees buckled with my steps and my legs shook when I stood still. I felt someone clap me on the back, I accepted a water bottle from a blur and sat down, I waited and drank slowly, we still had a cool down lap to run. Countless hours of practice, before school, after school, during the summer had all amounted to today. Invitational and league races had prepared us for the pressure of the race. Teammates had encouraged us, laughed with us, trained with us. Coach had talked to us, yelled at us, encouraged us, unified us. We had become a family.
This race had been my first league final in cross country, and sadly my last because I joined cross country in my senior year. I had originally joined the summer training to be with friends and find a way to get in better shape, but I grew to enjoy running greatly. It gave me a way to connect with my dad, he participates in a yearly relay race at work, and I made new friends. Running also was an escape from stress, I could run and not focus on anything but my breathing and the floor ahead of me. Even on the worse running days the training wore me out enough so I would be able to come and fall into effortless sleep. My time of the team showed me what it truly means to be committed to something, and also gave me perspective and a newfound respect for the student athlete, especially the runners, who day in and day out, rain or sunshine (or in our climate, wind), would show up to run and loved every second. It was truly a privilege being able to be part of the team and I really missed out my other years of high school.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this story. As I was reading I felt the same anticipation and nervousness you felt. Although you missed out on running the previous years of highschool, you will have memories that you will recall and be glad that you attempted it at least once in highschool.
-Stephanie Valdovinos
p.1

Sachin Reddi said...

Wow, this was interesting from the start. I'm glad you found something you truly enjoy, and sports really do give you something special that nothing else does. I enjoyed every sentence of this and I honestly felt like I was the one running. Great post

Erl Lee said...

Awesome story telling. The various stylistic devices such as similes and personification greatly increased clarity to your feelings. A great climax to your senior year.

Unknown said...

What a vivid description of the race. I could almost feel the heat, the dryness of the air, and the exhaustion of my legs. The piece absorbed me from the start; I wanted to know how the race went as a result of your intense narration. Thank you for sharing this!

Brandon Yun said...

Great story. Your imagery really made me feel as if I was there. Seems really interesting and im glad you found a sport to be in!

Ty said...

What a great way to end your senior year. Cool story that made me tear up a bit because this year's coming to an end. Fantastic job narrating a memory of yours.

Ben McCasland said...

It's Amazing how much strategy there is in something as short as a race. It looks simple from an onlookers perspective, but the way you described it really pointed out how much strategy there really was. I wish I had got involved in more things as well before my senior year too, so I know how you feel. Thank you for sharing this story!

Eliu Jaramillo said...

This is a great story. I really enjoyed the detail on your explanation of your feelings before and during the race and how you pushed through.

Anonymous said...

Wow, love this piece so much because it has a personal connection with me. So, being able to make a very descriptive and informative that can allow anybody to be able to enjoy, you did so very well here, is fantastic and great !

Travis Ly said...

As someone who isn't very active, I could definitely feel a shortness in breath while reading this. I commend you for pushing through the year and finding something you enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I loved this story! Your imagery was amazing and it really tied everything together and made it a fun read. This was a great part of your senior year and the narrative voice reciprocated that.
- Jennifer Kirksey (per. 5)

Unknown said...

This is definitely an artfully written piece, the use of imagery is astonishing, as though I can see you as I read. The flow overall is also well done with little bits of dialogue mixed in. However, I'm most intrigued by your final paragraph of reflection, It really ties the whole piece together. I know exactly what its like to regret only joining a program senior year, but its great you've gained experiences that are so valuable even in such a short time span.

Anonymous said...

Being a part of a high school team is something that everyone should be apart of. It's sort of magical with the whole team working hard towards one goal. Very well written piece!

DeAndre Siringoringo P.1

Brittney Berglund said...

This piece was very sweet to me because I'm very glad you found something you love and cherish. Being apart of a team just gives you the feeling of friendship and trust and thats something I can really relate to. Great Job!