Pages

Monday, April 16, 2018

"Life" by Marcela M.


            A few months before my (half) sister’s wedding, that took place in February this year, her dad had been diagnosed with cancer. She had waited till she was settled into her career, stable and happy with the right man but wasn’t aware that she’d be worrying about the possibility of her dad not being there to walk her down the aisle. Though feeble, he agreed to do so regardless of how he felt that day knowing he’d be quite tired. The week of my  eighteenth birthday, which was also the weekend prior to her wedding, I had learned my maternal grandfather was diagnosed with Leukemia. The next time I saw him and the probably the last time I’ll see him was the day after the wedding when he had decided to go back home to Arizona for the time being. He was never one to enjoy going out if there was a party nor did he ever say much unless he was complaining but this time that he visited he was different. When he talked, he spoke about how happy he was with his life and talked to me about all that he’s done while prior to his diagnosis he would always made remarks about how much he wanted to die and no longer wanted to be alive (in a jokingly yet somewhat serious manner). At the wedding was the first time I recall ever dancing with him and ever witnessing him dance with a genuinely happy expression. Though he has lived quite a long life, seventy-two years old, he could’ve been a lot happier if he acted as joyful as he was during that week. After seeing the sadness in his eyes and hearing that he wishes for another year, after being told he only has two more months, in order to fix paper work for my grandmother and make she sure is settled back in Mexico with the rest of my family, I learned how quickly life can be taken away. My sister’s dad and my grandfather had not thought about life with a possibly soon expiration date.
            Though they’re older and we are young, we oftentimes find ourselves invincible. We think that an accident could never be us and cannot envision ourselves in the place of someone else who has endured something. Our lives can also be stripped away just as easily. We should live always treasuring the moments we have and spending it with those who we love and love us back. This is quite cliché but live is short and we should take advantage of every opportunity because we just never truly know what lies ahead for each of us.
            With that being said, most of us are going off to college. Some are going much further than others and regardless of the distance, don’t forget about your parents. Try and keep communication with them and anyone else important in your life whether it’s a close friend or other relative. It’s important to keep contact and remind them that you’re thinking of them every so often so one day there are no regrets of wishing you spoke to someone more often or called them just a little bit more. It never hurts to show someone you love them.


23 comments:

Jocelyn Rangel said...

This is such an amazing piece, you did a great job all around. I could never imagine my father not walking me down the isle. It's wonderful that your sister's dad fought through the pain, to walk her down the isle. I'm so sorry about your grandpa, at least you have those new memories of him to hold on to. The message of showing and reaching out to the people you love is amazing.

Anonymous said...

This piece shows us how important and short life is, and how we need to make the best of it. I believe its true that a lot of us think were invincible (including myself) but we need to convince ourselves that is not true. Thank you for writing this piece, and my condolences to your Grandfather

Amber Duran said...

I am so sorry to hear about the situations with your sister's dad and your own grandfather. Your message at the end of your narrative is so true and we need to embrace every moment of our life and try to spend as much of it with our family and friends whom we love. Though it must have been hard, thank you for sharing your story with us. I was very eye-opening and insightful.

Kristyn Reed said...

Having such a busy life I tend to forget about the older people in my life. Although sad to read, I am enlightened now. I think that every young person needs to recognize this and I’m so inspired by your positive attitude. I will make a bigger effort to reach out to my elders.

Anonymous said...

Marcela, thank you for sharing such a difficult piece. This was definitely an eye opener, while also teaching us to not forget the people we love dearly. The use of narrative voice, I felt was real and brought out an emotional aspect that everyone was able to relate to.
- Eliana Rodriguez

Katarina Shieh said...

You never really realize how important every detail in your life is until your towards the end of it. I'm glad to hear that your grandfather was content with what he's done in his 72 years of life. Thank you for having the courage to share your story and your grandfather, as well as my deep condolences to your family.

Unknown said...

Wow, this is a great piece. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. Your message at the end hits close to home. Although I am anxious to leave off to college, your piece reminds me to keep close contact with my parents (and elders) no matter how excited I am to grow and develop on my own as an adult because you never know when you will be able to speak with them last. Thank you for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

Marcela this was such a beautiful piece! I commend you for having the courage to talk about this and use this as an example to how short life really is. I know how hard this must of been to write and I enjoyed every party of reading it ! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Your piece was very eye opening and reminded me to care about the older people in my life. Living isn't guaranteed and our loved ones can be taken from us very quickly.
-Dominique Madrigal

Anonymous said...

This piece really made me realize that life can be taken away at any moment. knowing that, I appreciate all that have. i loved how you said your grandfather seemed so happy and that warms my heart. Great job!

Anonymous said...

The subject you discuss here is actually something I have had to deal with in these past few months myself, having lost my grandfather and been in a major car accident two weeks apart. It is a harsh pill to swallow to be reminded how fragile life is, the finite nature it possesses and all the questions that are left in its absence. But I suppose the lesson I learned is that every moment of hardship is another moment of life. And each moment should be used to it's fullest, as your grandfather had done with you on the dance floor. I appreciate all your honesty in sharing this, and it is a lesson that I will definitely apply in my life. Incredible submission Marcela, I commend you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this very personal story. Although these types of situations are extremely painful, you are giving an insight to people who don't really realize how amazing life is and how dull someones life feels when they lose people. Thank you again for sharing.
-Valerie Cortez Per. 5

Anonymous said...

This is such a sweet piece and a gentle reminder to appreciate our parents and loved ones while we still can. Thank you for sharing your story I know it will truly make an impact.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a message you put out. With the description of the your grandfather and sisters dad unfortunate situations you really turned it to show how much we should indulge in the present and life a blissful and loving life. So in later times we don’t regret having not.

Unknown said...

I liked this story because it showed how important life is. It also showed the courage that you, your grandfather, and your half sister had. The fact that your grandfather still put a smile on his face after knowing his diagnosis was really inspiring. It was also inspiring to know that you didn't let his diagnosis stop you from enjoying his company.

Ben McCasland said...

This was really incredibly written, it was very easy to read, and also had a really great theme. I do think I should be spending time with my loved ones more, especially my Grandparents who are all in their 80's. They have done so much for me in my life, and along with my parents have taught me good moral values. With this story In mind, I will cherish every moment I have with them. Thank you for writing this!

Anonymous said...

The message of this was amazing. What I got from this piece was to live life to the fullest, and enjoy every moment you have with the people around you. I am sorry for your loss and I am glad you shared this story with us.

Anonymous said...

Your piece on the shortness of life and the idea of being grateful for life itself is one that I enjoyed reading. I agree with your message and applaud you on the way you were able to convey it in this piece. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Nice job Marcela, thank you for sharing this with us. You did an amazing job by giving examples with your sister's dad and your maternal grandfather. This really opened up my eyes and saw how fragile life is and how we often take it for granted.

Anonymous said...

This is a very beautiful and genuine piece. You brought us onto a journey through life that makes us value it even more. Thank you for writing this because it's great to be reminded once in a while about how important life and loving others is.

Anonymous said...

Great job, Marcela! This hits close to home for me. Thank you for reminding us that we need to continue to love and appreciate our loved ones while they’re still here.

Anonymous said...

These personal stories are my favorite to read. You did a perfect job on describing your grandfather's battle with leukemia.

Sophia Popal said...

Thank you for sharing this story Marcela. This piece was very eye opening, it made me realize how much of life we take for granted. Great job on the piece!