Pages

Monday, April 16, 2018

" How to Make Croquettes" by Marc B



Ingredients:
3 ½ pounds of beef roast
Water
3-4 bay leaves
Salt
Pepper
1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
3 ¼ cups of flour
1 pound of margarine
2 ounces of Maggi seasoning
1 large handful of dry Parsley
1-2 dozen eggs, beat 4-5 at a time for dipping the croquettes
1 large box of cornflake crumbs
Foil
oil , for deep frying (peanut oil is best for this recipe but any will do)
Gulden’s Mustard

Directions:
1)    Add first 4 ingredients into a large Dutch oven. Cover with water and boil until roast is done and tender. Keep adding water as needed during the cooking time. The roast should always be covered with boiling water until it is done.
2)    Once the roast is done, remove it from the broth in the Dutch oven. Set the roast aside to cool completely. When the roast the roast is has cooled down, shred it and set it aside.
3)    Scoop the onions and bay leaves out of the Dutch oven. Discard the onions and bay leaves but save the broth and keep it warm on a low fire. You will need it for the croquette “dough”. You may also need to add boiling water to the broth in order to have enough for the dough.
4)    In a large heavy pan (like a cast iron Dutch oven) over a medium fire, melt the 1 pound of margarine and stir constantly until golden brown and then put the fire on low.
5)    Using a wooden spoon to stir, slowly begin adding the 3 ¼ cups of flour, stirring constantly. Keep adding flour until the mixture pulls away from the side of the pan.
6)    Now slowly add the broth by cupfuls and stir it constantly. [ When you have added enough broth, the dough will not stick to your hand.] When the dough is very “shiny” (this should be after adding approximately 4-8 cups of the broth), turn off the fire.
7)    Add the Maggi, the parsley, salt and pepper, and the shredded roast. Mix well until all the ingredients are well dispersed throughout the dough.
8)    Spread 2 large, overlapping sheets of foil on a table or counter. Dump the croquette dough out of the pan in which you blended it and smooth it out over the ¾-1 inch thick. Let the dough cool until it is cold to the touch and lifts easily away from foil when a corner peeled back. The dough should feel slightly greasy to touch, it should NOT stick to the foil nor to your hands.
9)    Clean your hands so you can begin rolling the croquettes. Beat 5-6 eggs in a bowl and in another bowl, pour it half full of cornflake crumbs. Take a pinch of dough that is just slightly smaller than a Twinkie and roll it into a round oblong shape that resembles a fried mozzarella cheese stick.
10)  Once you have finished rolling the croquettes you will 1st dip in cornflake crumbs, 2nd in the beaten eggs, and 3rd again in the corn flake crumbs.
Place croquettes into a foiled lined pan with 2 inch edges and seperate the layers with foil. Keep them refrigerated until ready deep fry and serve. They will last 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator and can also be frozen prior to frying them for long term storage. If they are frozen make sure to thaw the croquettes before frying.
11)  Deep fry them in hot oil until the crust is crispy and a medium golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve them hot with Gulden’s mustard, or mustard of your choice.

17 comments:

Adrian Arteaga said...

I want to start by saying good job on your entry. I really enjoyed that your recipe for Croquettes isn’t all that complicated and your steps are very thorough.

Anonymous said...

This How to made me crave some croquettes! Also, I love the amount of detail you put into the steps! This will be very useful for me later on when I feel like making a nice dinner.

DIEGO ARMANDO CARRILLO P.1

Unknown said...

I appreciate how detailed your recipe and instructions were! It was simple and easy to follow so anyone can make this delectable food. I cannot wait to make this dish for my family! Great job!

Unknown said...

I've never had a croquette before, but after reading this post I am definitely craving one! Your recipe is very well written in detail and easy to follow. I'm looking forward to testing this delicious recipe out with my mom sometime! Good job Marc!

Unknown said...

This recipe for croquettes is real thorough! I like how clear each step is and how all the ingredients are clearly stated. This really is a great recipe for anyone that wants to make croquettes especially with how much detail you had in every step.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this before but as I read your post, my mouth began to water. You described the instructions very well and I plan on trying this with my family someday too!

Yanez Sanchez said...

i never had croquettes before but after reading your "how to" id rally like to try them. Good job on your directions and steps , they are really helpful !

Unknown said...

I've personally never heard nor have tried croquettes in my entire life, but after reading your recipe it seems like a little tasty dish I would like to try. Very Nice.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. I've never tried this dish before but sounds like something I would like. Seems like a nice dish to make and the directions made it seem real simple.
Austyn Coleman

Unknown said...

I liked all of the helpful tips you provided throughout the recipe as it made the steps easy to follow. I never had croquettes, but I've heard they're really good. With this recipe, I think I'll finally give them a try. Great Job!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this recipe on how to make croquettes as it is a dish I have never had the chance to try. The way you described the steps made it easy to follow along, thus making me more willing to try and make the dish. Great job.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love croquettes! Your blog gives such an easy to follow guide on how to make that even people are completely cooking inept (just like myself) are able to make such delicious croquettes. Great work!

Ikwaak Dhillon said...

Marc, I have never heard of croquettes but man these sound so delicious! You were extremely meticulous when it came to writing your recipe. Everything was really simple to follow and any questions I had you answered! I wonder if instead of putting in the pound of margarine can I just use a pound of butter? I cannot wait to make croquettes just because how simple and easy you made it sound. Fantastic work Marc, maybe one day I can make some croquettes and the both of us can enjoy them together.

Anonymous said...

I love this piece so much because it has a personal connection with me, coming from a household of cooking, it is simple eating, and yet enjoying it is so pleasant. So, being able to make a very descriptive and informative tutorial that can allow anybody or any family to be able to enjoy such a nice simple meal like you did so very well here, is fantastic and great !

Anonymous said...

I love this piece so much because it has a personal connection with me, coming from a household of cooking, it is simple eating, and yet enjoying it is so pleasant. So, being able to make a very descriptive and informative tutorial that can allow anybody or any family to be able to enjoy such a nice simple meal like you did so very well here, is fantastic and great !

Debrina Collins said...

I have never had croquettes like a lot of my classmates but now that I have a recipe for them I can’t wait to get into the kitchen to try it. The recipe is very well written, helpful and easy to execute. Really good job!

Unknown said...

when i saw this "how to make croquettes" i thought of the ones i usually get in a korean baker, but this is different. nevertheless, i would love to try these croquettes out. Also, it would have been great if you added a picture as an example for a newbie like me.