Pages

Monday, December 18, 2017

"Man on the Moon" by Wine Jie L


“We can’t be friends anymore.” She tells me. “You can leave now.” Teary-eyed and shaking, she slams the door shut.
Looking down, a tear slowly escapes and trickles down my cheek. I don’t want to be alone. The tear escapes my skin and stains the concrete floor below me. What did I do wrong? Lifting my head, I turned away from the house in which I had created everlasting memories–memories that have painfully turned meaningless. Step by step, I began my journey home.
It was cold out. The chilly air hugged my pale skin, still moist with tears. Now that she’s gone, who have I got left? She was my best friend. We did everything together. I guess she grew tired of me. She found new friends to laugh and make new memories with. Our “never-ending” friendship was barely holding on and she decided to let go. Suddenly, I stopped. Gazing up at the luminescent stars and the gentle moon, I took the time to admire their presence. The moon and the stars are my only companions now. Even on the darkest nights, they’re always there to shine their light. My mind trailed off as I began to wonder what life was like up there. Are they alone? Do they know I’m here? Does a they even exist? Realizing how late it was becoming, I continued home.

~

After entering my undisturbed room, I changed into comfortable clothing and prepared for bed. I crawled into the homely sheets with my eyes swollen and my heart aching. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed my telescope pointing out towards the uncertain night. Igniting my earlier curiosities, I slowly stepped out of bed and walked towards it. I wanted to see the moon again, as I do every other night. Squatting down and placing my right eye before the glass, I searched for the lustrous moon. After finding its location, I increase the magnification on the telescope. Something felt different. Something was different. There was something there, and not just some junk some astronauts left on the moon’s surface. I was in a trance, hypnotized with awe. It was a house. Why hadn’t I seen this before? Zooming in, I saw it was made of what appeared to be wood. Wood? From where? I continued to watch this house, my curiosity spiking.
Entranced by this finding, I persisted in watching through the telescope. The door slowly moves open as an older man makes his way out. He looks like one of us: a normal human being. What is going on? His hair is grey, and his age makes him seem fragile. He’s wearing a plaid button up and some blue jeans. He has no space suit. He’s holding a blue balloon as if it were his only friend. So that’s where those things go when they fly up. But how? I watch him walk over to a single chair near his house. He just sits, watching the world surrounding him. He’s alone. Does he know what it’s like to have company? How did he get up there? Is he even human? In a way, I empathize with him. He sits and admires the stars, just like I do. He’s alone, just like I am.
The man turns his head towards his house. He gradually rises and walks back inside, still gripping onto his blue balloon. I continued to watch. After a few minutes, the man walks out and this time, holding his very own telescope. He walks back to his chair and assembles the object. He points it to the direction of Earth. I watch him scan my world with fascination. I notice him smiling. Laughing. He looks down. A tear slowly escapes and trickles down his cheek. He doesn’t want to be alone. The tear slowly escapes his skin and stains the floor below him. I feel a sharp pang in my heart. I’m not alone at all–not like he is.
His telescope turns to face my direction. Realization hits. His eyes slowly widen and the corners of his mouth lift up to form a smile. He’s beaming. He sees me. I move my head to the side of my telescope and smile at him. He smiles back. I watch him as he smiles profusely, tears falling down his face. His hands slowly rise up to touch his rosy cheeks. Someone noticed him. I noticed him. He realizes he’s not alone.

~

Every night after that, I looked through my telescope to smile at the old man. It’s beautiful how something as little as a smile could brighten his day. He stopped walking around with his blue balloon but sometimes, I sent new balloons tied to small trinkets to keep him company. The crazy part? He actually received them. As time persisted, the man became more and more frail until he no longer appeared out of his small house. I cried that night. And the night after that. And the night after that.
The man on the moon was alone. He lived a life to himself, constantly wondering what was out there. He longed for company, until I came along. With losing my best friend, I gained an unforgettable friendship that made me realize that I truly wasn’t alone. I’ll continue to create new friendships since I’m fortunate enough to be here on this Earth, surrounded by love. I know that’s something he never got to experience in his life. I know that’s what he would want. I’ll never forget you, man on the moon.

30 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww, Wine Jie, this is so sweet! It's such a creative spin on the phrase "man on the moon" The concept reminds me of this webcomic called This Mortal Coil, based on the Chinese legend of Chang'e and the Moon Rabbit.

In case you're curious, the webcomic is here: http://www.mortalcoilcomic.com/comic/lady-of-the-moon/1/

Unknown said...

I absolutely loved this story. I really liked how you used a lot of imagery because it was really nice to picture and emphasize how the old man and the narrator of the story met. It was really intimate and touching. Also this story really opens my eyes to be looking out for what happens next instead dreading on what had happened. Overall great job Wine Jie!

Erl Lee said...

This writing really highlights that people do not need much to experience happiness and that small things go a long way. Just by noticing each other the two loners were able make each other happy. The change of tone was well done with your syntax and diction.Nice job!

Janae Stowers said...

This is a really nice story. Imagining this story, you would see a man living on top of the moon. It is amazing how the narrator and the man see each other and recognize they are not completely alone.

Amber Duran said...

Wine Jie, this story is so beautiful! It was a creative and touching way to tell the story of how we are not alone. Reading the story felt so real with true emotion and feeling. I was sad to know that the man on the moon didn't come out of his house anymore at the end but I was happy that he knew he was not alone and that the main character was able to achieve an "unforgettable friendship" with him. Amazing job!

Anonymous said...

The imagery and heartfelt details of this story truly made it come to life. The way that you created a parallel between the kid looking through the telescope and the mysterious man residing on the moon created an intriguing element as I wondered whether the man was real or simply a figment of the lonely kid's imagination. The way I became intertwined with the characters and events of the story throughout it really speaks to your writing ability-amazing GiGi!
-Kyla Hardy

Unknown said...

I loved this post! It held so much meaning and honestly made me tear up a bit. The sympathy and connection towards this man on the moon is described in such a way where I felt as if I personally knew him. Thank you for this amazing piece, I will definitely read this again!

Unknown said...

This story is beautiful! I could relate to the protagonist through the loss of a best friend. I love your spin on the man on the moon. Amazing piece!

Anonymous said...

The imagery between the man on the moon and kid looking at each other was terrific. What I also found terrific was the change of tone in the story. Great job! Erick Gutierrez per.4

Unknown said...

This story was so uplifting and beautiful. I appreciated your detailed descriptions that gave this story vivid life. It taught the reader that our actions may be simple but their impacts are powerful. Just a smile gave the man on the moon happiness. It didn't cost anything but to him it was the most valuable thing he'd ever received. Great job!

Brandon Velasco said...

Very engaging piece with the old man leaving me saddened, I recall being very young and my mother and I would look through her telescope and be awe inspired at the vastness of Space and the galaxy pondering if there too were other beings seeking us out.

Yanez Sanchez said...

Wow! This story came to life with the vivid imagery and details. I loved everything about it, it even made me choke up a little. This shows that even through you lose a best friend its not the end of the world, there will be more and you are not alone. This is one of my top favorite blogs!!

Brandon Yun said...

Interesting and refreshing story thanks to the setting being on the moon and an outsider looking in on earth. Also great imagery!

Genesis Sayles said...

Well you have a new best friend now so it's okay Wine Jie. As I was reading your story I started reading some parts in your voice. I hope that makes sense. I suppose what I am trying to say is, in a way your acting and writing are connected. It seemed like you were the little boy, well at least it seemed like he was a character that you can portray. Amazingly. I love how you made the two characters communicate with one another. It was very creative, which reflects off of you as a person and how creative you are. And for your information, I already knew that, but it just made me realize it even more. <33

Anonymous said...

This was an amazing a refreshing story. I liked the idea of the setting being on the moon. Great job Wine Jie!
Eric Duong P.4

Katarina Shieh said...

Pain is almost an indescribable feeling when it comes to writing (in my point of view), how else are you supposed to convey someone's worst moments? You did an amazing job by showing the thoughts and inner struggle in the character, as well as being able to provide the audience with the feeling of hope and togetherness once the character met someone else who was afraid of being alone. <3

Kristyn Reed said...

What an interesting concept! The imagery was so beautiful and I got chills at the end. I love how you managed to successfully pull the reader through multiple emotions. One of my favorites for sure.

Paarth Joshi said...

Wine Jie, I thought your story was amazing as it kept me engaged the whole way through because of its specific details. Not only that but I thought the message at the end was great as I did not see you taking this direction with the story when it began. Well done.

Imani Crenshaw said...

WINE JIE!! First the "Short" monologue, now this? Everything you write is so captivating!! Im such a cry baby... When the man on the moon noticed the speaker notice him, the floodgates of my tear ducts slammed open. I know the ending is kind of sad, but this story makes me so happy. You have such a creative flow when it comes to writing, I'd love to read more!!

Unknown said...

LOVE THIS OMG. The imagery and use of slight detail really help your work come to life. I was imaging this whole piece in my head as I continued to read. You have a way with words and the creativity you used to put this piece together was very cool.

Unknown said...

The story is very heartwarming. From the introduction of a distressed narrator to the joy of finding a companion however temporary, you certainly did a great job in the telling of this narrative.

Carly Soos said...

This totally warmed my heart. I don't normally find something to read that makes me smile before I even finish, but as soon as the man on the moon smiled, it made me so happy. I love the massage that this conveys, and it makes me think if I have ever experienced that true loneliness that the man on the moon did.

Unknown said...

OMG this story is so sweet and heartwarming! Even though the actions between the man on the moon and the speaker were small, it shows that even the smallest actions can have a great impact on someone. Your story was full of so many emotions and I loved the changes in tones you used in your story, it shows how emotional and vulnerable we can be.

Anonymous said...

The way you set your story up was so intriguing. I'm absolutely in love with this story as I can somewhat relate to the kid who finds a friend while in solitude. Lovely story.

Imani Crenshaw said...

I was the silly goose with the "Unknown" comment, I apologize. Beautiful piece, my love.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading your piece. At first was a little confused on where it was going but once I realized what was happening I really loved it. I'm super curios on where you got the idea to write something like this because its so unique and different Great work!

Unknown said...

Very touching piece Wine Jie! I love how you transition from the protagonist's sadness into a sense of hope and happiness then back into sadness then into a resolve to keep making friendships.

Joshua Duque said...

Your story was beautifully written and allowed me to empathize with both the narrator and the old man. The amount of imagery you provided painted such a vivid picture of the narrators view of the old man and his house. This is such a beautiful piece to me because of the similar experience of feeling alone.

Unknown said...

Great piece of writing, it was so informative and descriptive that I enjoyed it very much so. I really liked the idea that you put together such a nice piece that is very important to our contemporaries. You definitely provided something constructive, and we very much appreciate it !

Alexander Okonkwo said...

This was a very heartwarming article to read, opposed to the one I read previously, so this was one was a relief haha. This story invoked almost child like feelings which I found very enjoyable and overall I like this piece.