Pages

Monday, December 18, 2017

"Gumbo Recipe" by Alfred A



Winter has always been my favorite time of year ever since I was a child, but not only

because Christmas is on the way and the morning air is crisp and cool, but because my mom makes my favorite dish of all time. Gumbo is the first thing I think about towards the end of the year, with Christmas second of course. Gumbo is a Louisiana dish that is made of broth, seafood, meat, rice, and the “Holy Trinity” of vegetables (Celery, Bell pepper, and Onion). One of the best things about gumbo is that there is a large variety of ways to make it, the way you are about to learn is how my mom makes. Please enjoy.
Materials:
  • ●  110qt.Pot
  • ●  1 cast iron and 1 normal skillet
  • ●  1 Large Onion
  • ●  1 Large Celery
  • ●  1 Large Bell pepper
  • ●  4 Garlic Cloves
  • ●  Flour
  • ●  Oil
  • ●  8 Hotlinks
  • ●  15 Chicken Wings
  • ●  1 pack Dry Shrimp
  • ●  8-10 cups of water
  • ●  1 1⁄2 pound Shrimp
  • ●  Chicken bouillon
  • ●  Rice
  • ●  Optional: Crab
  • ●  Seasonings: Salt, Pepper, Poultry seasonings, Garlic powder, Onion powder,
    seasoning salt, ground sage, Celery seasoning, Paprika, Cayenne pepper
    Notes: This can feed about 6 people. At some point through this make some rice to have at the end.
    Steps:
  1. Chop up onion, bell pepper, garlic, celery, and throw it into the 10qt. pot, then cook it down till all the water is out of the vegetables.
  2. In the cast iron skillet add 3⁄4 cups flour and 3⁄4 cups oil, and cook down till the mix is dark, Continuously stir or the roux will burn.
  3. Then add the roux to the vegetables and stir (should be kinda gummy), Fill the pot with water, then stir till the vegetables separate.
  4. Add all the seasoning, and dry shrimp to the pot. 1 tablespoon of each seasoning except the chicken bouillon which is 2-3 tablespoons and the Cayenne pepper which is 1 teaspoon. Stir then taste after 10 mins.
  5. Cut up the hot links into disks and add to a seperate skillet. Fry till they are brown then add them to the pot.
  1. Bring the pot to a boil and let everything cook down for about an hour so everything can marry.
  2. Add the chicken and cook for another 30 mins. Taste and add more seasoning if needed. The water level would have lowered alot by now if you want more broth you can add more water but you will need to also add more seasoning.
  3. Add shrimp and crab(optional) cook for 20 mins
    The end product should be a nice bowl of steaming gumbo over rice, if you want the
gumbo to be thicker you can add some gumbo file. Gumbo makes for a superb winter dish or anytime of the year really, I just get it during winter. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on how to make Gumbo, and if you were able to make please do tell me how it was. Thank you very much for reading this and have a great day!
By Alfred Antee

16 comments:

Lauren Elizabeth Wright said...

Great recipe! It was very easy to understand and follow. I hope to try it out soon. I really enjoyed the paragraph at the beginning explaining your connection to this dish.

L said...

I've always seen people reference gumbo in movies or books about people down south, but never actually looked at making myself. Your guide has exposed me to how simple it may be to try it in person and I will defiantly consider making as I finish out break. You are very thorough in your description in the preparation of the dish allowing for easy to follow directions. Additionally your small personal commentary in the beginning description gives this instructional article a bit of personality which is always a big plus. Gavin Gnaster

Anonymous said...

As an African American with a Louisiana Heritage, Gumbo is eaten at my house many times during the year. The recipe is simple and easy to read and included detail for each step. I like how yours is from scratch and includes vegetables. The gumbo I'm used to is a seafood/meat blend, but I am excited to try your recipe! Nice to see some soul on the blog and overall great job!

-Joseph Madere Period 1

Unknown said...

Your recipe is not only informative, but quite nostalgic. Most of my family is from New Orleans, and to hear more about the culture and soul is very appealing. The writing in your piece balances detail with information, making the reader comfortable while heeding your instructions. Great job Alfred!

Anonymous said...

I once had gumbo in Tomorrowland at Disney and it was really good, it came with a bread bowl and everything. My family really like Louisiana style soul food and maybe this will be another option I would want to try when the next special occasion arises. I liked how you said "Holy Trinity of Vegetables" as celery, bell peppers, and onion are essential in most dishes.
DeAndre Siringoringo P.1

Sachin Reddi said...

I've never had gumbo, and I've never had any inclination to try it, but your recipe was extremely informative and easy to follow. I might give it a try using your simple recipe. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this recipe. I've had gumbo from many different restaurantes people and each time it tasted a little different. I've seen my mom make it a few times but never tried to do it myself. The way you explained it made it seem like a real simple quick and easy task. Hopefully I can make some in my free time and share my cooking with the rest of my family.
Austyn Coleman
Period 1

Anonymous said...

Great recipe. It is extremely easy to follow and informative. I'll definitely give it a try when I have the chance.
- Eric Duong P.4

Unknown said...

I've really been thinking about Gumbo, but nobody wants to make it for me! So I am very happy you posted this recipe. Now I can attempt to make it myself. Your directions were very clear, I look forward to making this. Thank you!

Meila Perez said...

I've never made gumbo and I now have a reference to make it! Your recipe was straight and to the point and easy to follow, good job!

Unknown said...

This is a great recipe Alfred! I think I would give this a try, and it doesn’t seem to be too difficult. You made it very easy to understand, moreover, I have never tried gumbo before so this might be a great chance for me to try it.

Anonymous said...

Gumbo is a dish that I've always wanted to try, but never actually got around to doing so. I never actually knew about the ingredients that make up gumbo, but now I know that there is a mixture of many different meats, which makes it sound so much more delicious! Reading this easy-to-read "how to" has definitely enouraged me to try making gumbo, or showing a friend your recipe and asking them to make it for me! Since you recommend it for the Wintertime, I should probably try soon. :)

Anonymous said...

I’ve always seen gumbo being shown in movies and TV and whatnot, but I’ve never had it before in real life. Your recipe makes it seem so simple and easy to make, and the entire post seems so homely and friendly due to the little intro you added in. Great job! :)
-Carianne Lefebvre

Unknown said...

I'm always drawn to food recipes since I take joy in cooking. I have never made gumbo, nor have I ever eaten it. Yet it is on my list of "absolute foods you must eat before you die." I enjoy eating foods from different cultures since it helps me understand their specific qualities. I thoroughly enjoyed your post and felt you gave easy to understand, straightforward instructions. I will certainly add this to my "absolute foods you must cook before you die," list.

Unknown said...

This was really easy to understand! Now I may be able to make one of my favorite foods by myself.

Anonymous said...

Wow Alfred, I never knew that you knew how to make such delicious gumbo! I’ve always wanted to try some on my own, and now I have a great recipe that I can follow! Your instructions are so simple and easy to read, I’m glad that I now can make my own gumbo at home! Great post!
-Jennifer Kirksey