Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2024

"What is a Sikh? " by Sidaq R

 

Sikhism- A believer in a religion of India that was founded about 1500 and that believes in one God and rejects idols and caste

 

I believe in the teachings of Sikhism. Sikhi is the fifth largest religion in the world, it teaches values such as service to humanity, generosity, and compassion. Growing up, I always admired the stories my grandparents would tell me about Sikhi and the influence we have had on the world. As I became influenced by the Western culture, that admiration started to fade away, and the stories became a faint memory. I grew up in a community with the same two religious backgrounds, Christianity and Catholicism. It made it hard for me to create a connection with my religion as I was so familiar with the faiths that surrounded me. It was challenging explaining to a 7-year-old what a Sikh was, and it did not mean feeling “unwell.” Sikh Coalition reports, “There are an estimated 500,000 Sikhs living in the United States.”

 I visited my local Gurdwara (temple) on a Sunday morning when I was twelve. As I was talking to a few kids around my age, I quickly realized they did not speak Punjabi, and they knew less about the Sikhi values than me. I was offended that the future generation of Punjabi and Sikhs could not talk with the language our ancestors fought so hard for and the language our Granth Sahib (sacred scripture of Sikhism) was written. I quickly decided that it was my responsibility and duty to share the word of our Gurus and teach our blessed language. Since that visit, I began frequently volunteering and tutoring seven/eight-year-olds on how to speak and write Punjabi. I created a curriculum emphasizing leading on a legacy millions sacrificed for and the importance of preserving our cultural heritage. Sikhi has taught me three principles: Naam Japna (focus on God), Kirat Karni (honest living), and Vand Shakna (sharing with others). These three values have been instilled in me from a very young age, becoming a guide to my purpose in this world. Now my purpose is to teach these three principles not only to my future children but also the future generations of Sikhi to come.

Preserving languages and religion also preserves heritage. This is extremely crucial as it is an important way to pass on knowledge from past to future generations. My religion, culture, and heritage are unique and for some people `unusual,” but as the future generations, it is our responsibility to ensure we spread those views. Sikhism has played a pivotal role in shaping Indian history, art, and literature. As a first-generation student, it can be difficult to stay in good contact with my heritage. Especially when everyone knows numerous people who follow the same path as them, but the beauty of heritage is originality. In order to look after that originality, I have learned that Sikhism has its own beauty that I have learned to embrace.

 

 

 

 

No comments: