Pages

Monday, April 13, 2020

"Unexpected Experiences " by Salvador B


     It was a weekday. I was in seventh grade when I made one of my biggest baseball
accomplishments. During seventh grade, I was a very small statured individual and was not
necessarily the strongest on my team. Despite my size, I remember being a mediocre hitter on
my team. I wouldn’t always get a hit, but it was pretty hard for other people to strike me out.
Regular season had already ended and we were in the playoffs. In this tournament, there were
three teams from three different leagues so in totality, there were nine teams. I don’t remember
the exact day we played on, but I do know that it was during a week day since I remember being
excited and at the same time nervous for the game that was scheduled for five thirty. School
ended at two thirty and I had to wait roughly fifteen minutes since my brother was in elementary
school at the time and my mom needed to go pick him up first since his school was just closer to
the house. I get in the car at two forty five and get home at around two fifty. In middle school, I
did not procrastinate nearly as much as I do now, so I did all of my homework, got ready, and
left the house at four o’clock. I arrived at the park at four fifteen. One by one, my teammates get
to the field and we start warming up at four thirty. The sun began setting and the lights for the
field turned on not long after. It almost felt instantaneous when five thirty arrived and when the
first pitch was thrown. We were the home team and I started at third base that game. The first
batters struck out, It was now our time to hit. I was batting sixth in the line up so I was not
expecting to hit that inning. Our lead off gets a single, followed by a double by the second
batter. Our third batter struck out. Then, the fourth batter came up to hit. DINK! It was a no
doubter. The ball was hit at least two hundred and seventy feet. It wasn’t even a surprise since
the clean up batter was the strongest and one of the best hitters on the team. The fifth batter
goes to the plate. I am in the on deck circle putting the bat weight on my bat when I hear a
sudden CRACK! I look up and see my friend trotting the bases. My anxiety for some reason
went through the roof. I walked into the batter's box, sweat running down my forehead from the
insane amount of anxiety that I had and not because of the physical activity I was participating
in. The pitcher throws the first pitch and I let it go since I thought it was going to be a ball.
“STRIKE!” yelled the umpire. The next three pitches were balls. The count was three balls and
one strike. The next pitch, I completely miss a pitch down the middle. Full count and my
nervousness is through the roof. I step out of the batter's box. I catch my breath. I step back in
the box and get ready for the next pitch. The pitcher lifted his leg and I simultaneously lifted
mine. I see a fastball. I put my leg down and I hit the ball. I look for the ball and see it in the air
going towards the right-center gap in the outfield. I started rounding first base then I saw the ball
go over the fence. All of my anxiety was quickly shifted into excitement. I was basically skipping
around the bases with my arms up.  I never expected to hit a homerun considering how small I
was, but I did. It was surprising and unexpected and most importantly, awesome! 
     As I grew older, I made more and more memories playing this sport like pitching a
perfect game and few no hitters. I made the highschool baseball team my freshman year and
was able to stay on it throughout the entirety of highschool. This year was my first year on
varsity and I was extremely ecstatic to make some more memories like the one of me hitting my
first and only homerun. Unfortunately, my season was cut short. I never expected something so
microscopic to have such macroscopic effects. I never expected my time playing this sport to be
cut short an entire season. I never expected my only highschool season with my little brother to
be taken away from me because of a global pandemic, but that's life. It’s just unexpected for the
better or the worse, but it’s okay though. Life goes on.

13 comments:

Alison Flores said...

I like the detail of this story and it was well-written! I am sorry that your season got cut short because it was not fair that you were not able to finish out your high school memories playing baseball with your teammates. However, I am glad that you got to make so many good memories with the sport since you were younger.

Andrea Halili said...

For someone who doesn't have knowledge in baseball, I greatly enjoyed reading your piece. Every moment you mentioned was so detailed, like for instance, the time stamp and the game itself which made you story more interesting as I can actually picture the whole game playing in my head. I also like how you included words of encouragement in the end of your piece which is exactly what everyone needs right now.

Nevaeh Sanford said...

I don't watch sports but have a vague idea on how baseball works but your descriptions made it really easy to read and follow what was happening. Great story!

Rinel-Christian Albania said...

Wow! I love the in depth description you used throughout your work to show the intensity of the moment, whether it be the anxious emotions stirring up or the flying of time as the game nears you. It really brings out how important baseball is to you. Great work!

Shreeya Candipali said...

This was very interesting to read! Your love for baseball is so clearly seen through your emotions as you hit your first home run and your excitement to play. I was able to imagine myself in your shoes and experience the same excitement that you felt. It's unfortunate that your season was cut short, but I hope you continue to have the same passion for baseball in the future.

Kaj Miranda said...

I really like the detail you put into your story and how you showed everything that happened as the story developed! It was an interesting read! Good job! -Kaj Miranda

Kaylee Tao said...

This interesting piece was filled with details that allowed me to draw up the whole scene in my head. Although the circumstances were not ideal for your last baseball season of high school, I admire your ability to remain positive about the whole situation.

Daniel Vasquez said...

Thats actually really cool that you still remember your first home run with such detail I wish I still remembered mine. I could obviously connect with you because we played together for so long and I know it hard for everything to just go away like that but like you said life goes on it is what it is i'm sure we will find a new passion in college. Overall great work describing its like I was watching the game.

Anonymous said...

I love baseball so reading about your experiences growing up playing the sport was really fun to read. I wish you could've finished this last season of baseball because it seemed so important to you. Great expression of how the game is played too. - Hannah Colunga

Breanne Ha said...

Great piece. Way to give the details leading up to the game and how you felt throughout your experience. Excellent job!

Yolumi Okolo said...

This was a very good piece of literature. I really liked the interesting details you added in this passage. Great job!

Adrian Waterhouse said...

I felt like I was right along with you during the story. I can also relate to your season being cut short because my track season was cut short as well.

Anonymous said...

Great story, it was interesting reading about your experience growing up playing baseball. Great Work! -Camren Littlejohn