Pages

Friday, November 22, 2019

"The 911 Road" by Sabrina M



      35 years of driving background would seemingly prepare you for any obstacle the open

roadways could throw at you, yet in the shaded awning of the jungle, a million years of experience could not have prepared my father for what was to occur.
     After seeing photos of the breathtaking landscapes of Costa Rica on Google, my father decided that our annual summer family vacation would journey a little farther south of the equator. Our days were charged with bus trips through sugar plantations and monkey territories, hikes through the forest, swims in the humid rain, and a cuisine of the most delectable regional foods. Although we rented a car for our trip, most of the rides we took were on tour buses, as the locals would be more familiar with the terrain than us Americans, but after a curiosity in what lay beyond the tree line urged us to take the car ourselves deep into the wilderness, mystery began to sneak in.
Google Maps had guided us to the most astonishing of beaches, but monkey noises and the impending nightfall urged us to head back to the hotel. With the GPS now offline, we had only our memory to guide us through the foreign land to the safety of our resort. As the road became bumpier, our fears heightened, and soon, we were all clutching the sides of the seat, eyes glued to what parts of the path we could glimpse through the dim headlights. Now engulfed in
the darkness of the jungle, we all felt a sense of impending peril. The road was too narrow to make a U-turn on, and it was too dark to merely reverse your way back through, so forward we continued. Until suddenly, water surrounded the car. Quickly shifting gears to reverse out of the water, we realized we had landed on the bank of a river with an unknown depth. To simply drive through the river would be almost suicidal, yet there was no other place to go. Images of a potential news article titled ‘American Family of Six Dies in Costa Rica’ prompted my dad to send my mother out into the unknown to scope out the area, locking the car door behind her, so whatever would potentially kill my mother could not get to us as well. The river seemed to go on forever, only pushing us more into the terror we already found ourselves in. Headlights, approaching from behind, snapped us back into reality, though. A local was now with us, although we did not know whether they could be trusted.  With the little Spanish I knew, we managed to ask them for help. The angels driving the minivan agreed to drive slowly in front of us, a light unto our path. After crossing two rivers, we realized that those bodies of water were not ends to our path, but merely obstacles. We had allowed the fear of the unknown to overwhelm our thoughts and rationality, forcing us to stay glued to our current predicament, unable to depart.
     Well into the next day, we elected to drive the road, which Google had named the 911 road, once more. In the daylight, the endless river now seemed as threatening as a puddle. But how could something that managed to suck the life out of our very lungs only a few hours earlier now seem so irrelevant? Were we all just overreacting, or was there something more prominent at play that we could not realize? Does seeing the finish line really make our troubles less troubling?
     Many times throughout life, challenges seem to overwhelm us, especially when there is no end to be found. The anxiety, fear, and panic that accompany only hurt us even more, yet usually, the seemingly perilous journey yields a pleasant outcome. We tend to have tunnel vision; only able to see what is occurring right at this moment and never the whole picture. Uncomfortable situations, as a result, become unbearable, and awkward moments last a lifetime. Knowing the outcome before being placed in certain circumstances is rarely a plausible expectation, but realizing that you are always more significant than that which you fear can prove helpful.
     Driving back on that 911 road taught me that when the ending is shrouded in a layer of darkness, and I can barely see what is going on right in front of me, things seem a lot scarier than they indeed are. Humans are not afraid of the dark, they’re fearful of their inability to know what lies ahead. But when the light at the end of the tunnel becomes shrouded by the darkness of strangeness and ambiguity, that’s when fear decides creeps in. How we perceive fear can either enlarge or reduce it, but if I initially minimize my anxiety of the uncertain reality that I often seem to find myself in, I know that the conclusion will have a much brighter outlook because tomorrow and all its promises of new hopes and beginnings will find me.
      I have driven down many more 911 roads since then, in school, in my relationships, and with my own personal thoughts and feelings, and they all have one thing in common. In hindsight, the mountains I once thought I faced began to seem like minuscule hills once enough time had passed. I now know I will always be able to cross my rivers and find my way back to safety.

39 comments:

Jerry Feng said...

Wow! What a great story! I think it’s so amazing that you got such an amazing experience in another country! I really loved how you expressed your internal thoughts and feelings as you traveled through Costa Rica such as “But how could something that managed to suck the life out of our very lungs… seem so irrelevant?” It really gave us readers an insight into your thought-processing. I also really enjoyed your vivid description of the environment around you with the “monkey noises,” “delectable regional foods,” and the “shaded awning of the jungle.” It really brings the readers into your world. Finally, I loved the lesson you received from this experience. I agree that we are often always pessimistic about events around us, but, sometimes, we just need to have a “brighter outlook” like you said and everything will be alright. Great story!!

Shreeya Candipali said...

What a crazy experience! I like how you were able to relate your obstacle on the 911 road to obstacles in life. Using "911 road" as a metaphor for these obstacles makes it easier for the readers to relate to you. Reading your story was a journey, and I feel like I was learning with you. I loved your use of description, like "shrouded in a layer of darkness". This was amazing!

Hazel Chen said...

Sabrina, I am speechless. I enjoyed how vividly you told the story and how well you described it. I could picture everything and the details of every thought made the story so intense. I like how from one incident you learned so much. I loved the connection between the story and the message at the end. Your word choice throughout the whole piece is great and really inspired me. Good job!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed how at the end you took your story of a family summer vacation and made it into a lesson you learned and use in everyday life. I also liked the description of how you viewed what you encountered at night as scary because of the unknown versus how you viewed it when it was not dark

Gabriella Merino said...

I loved how you described your trip to Costa Rica and the various settings you found yourself in. I also admire the way you connected the lesson you learned from your experience with the 911 road to your own personal life. Not letting fear overtake your ambition to achieve a goal is an important lesson we all need to remember. Great job!

Anonymous said...

What an enthralling story! From the way you told the narrative, the insight and experience you gained from your trip to Costa Rica was invaluable and will continue with you throughout life. The metaphors and personifications of fear embedded in your description of being overwhelmed by the unknown beyond the river serves as a link between your emotions and the reality of the situation. I also enjoyed the word play of the title. Well done!

Anonymous said...

The beginning hook was awesome! It really captured my attention quickly and the details you put in made me want to keep reading and reading. As I read the ending and how you connected the 911 road to various situations you have gone through, it resonated with me a ton! Great job :) - Zoe Picon

Anonymous said...

I remember you told me this story before, as it was an important experience that awakened you to the idea of taking risks and thus will stick with you. And compared to your previous telling, I must say, I love to see the improvement in the re-telling of this story! So much meaning from your experience was synthesized throughout your writing and it made me think about my own actions in my own life. Thank you Sabrina, very cool! - Nathan Sandoval

Alejandra Amezquita said...

That experience sounds like it was crazy but worth it. You described the story well with detail and the suspense kept me thinking what would happen next. I think it is great that you learned a deeper meaning from the experience and was able to share it.

yajari said...

I really like your story, I can agree with you that humans are scare of what is to come and not the darkness it self. Also that there is many 911 roads all over the place roads that everybody have to take even do they would not want to. They are all over the place but we have to be strong and take those roads as there can be a beautiful landscape at the end.

Jonathan B said...

This story is absolutely amazing! I love the imagery that you used and also the thrill it gave. I felt like I was on edge 24/7 good job!

Jonathan B said...

This story is absolutely amazing! I love the imagery that you used and also the thrill it gave. I felt like I was on edge 24/7 good job!

Adam Sorenson said...

You set up the contrast between darkness and light and how they correspond to fear and the reality of things very well. The rhetorical questions you added in the fourth paragraph, when read, almost sound like they answer themselves pertaining to the outcomes of your story. Your ending paragraph is fantastic in which you give examples how a "911 road" is not always purely physical, but can also be emotionally and mentally rough and uncertain, and that you pave it clear that the potholes and dips will soon flat out.

Zechariah Algallar said...

I was immediately hooked on your story from the opening paragraph. The imagery really put me into your shoes as I reading it. I also love how you reused the term "911 road" to describe other ventures in life and highlight your purpose for writing this. This is truly an incredible story with a great message. Amazing job!

Jonathan B said...

This story is absolutely amazing! I love the imagery that you used and also the thrill it gave. I felt like I was on edge 24/7 good job! reading about the part where they were in the road and when they realized it was to late to turn back because the roads were to narrow. The anticipation and suspense heightened as you described more and more. This was truly an amazing job!! :)

Anonymous said...

a very captivating story! your writing flows really well and i love how you connected the story to a lesson learned.

Cassandra Jimenez said...

Sabrina your choice of diction had me so intrigued and locked in that I felt as if I were witnessing this event unfold. I love how you connected the dangerous river to the hardships you face on a day to day basis. Thank goodness that you were able to learn such a valuable lesson and come out safe with the rest of your family. -Cassandra Jimenez

Rinel-Christian Albania said...

I love it! The parallels you drew between physical challenges and mental challenges (crossing this "river") really shined light on your capability to overcome any challenge! Your sensory imagery, such as the monkey noises and the scary wilderness, really highlight the fear you were instilled with. Great work!

Kaylyn H said...

Wow great job! This story had me on the edge of my seat till the very end. I loved how you tied the story in with challenges and obstacles in life to give us a moral. It tied in really well

Anonymous said...

One of the lines that stuck with me is when you said we aren't afraid of the dark, it's the unknown that scares us. Your optimism is refreshing, and I enjoyed how you told the story. I like your analogy to the 911 road and how it is present in your daily life. - Lauren White

Nathaniel Alvarado said...

Such a riveting story! Your story was able to captivate and enhance your audience into a setting of unknown. I also really enjoyed how a simple, yet an exciting sequence of events has enlightened you to such a sense of hope in this instance and with many other "911 roads." This allows the audience to relate to you, for the audience can experience many times of darkness where they seek light and hope as well. Again, great job! -Nathaniel Alvarado

Anonymous said...

Very well-written story! I loved the way you were able to take something out of the small mishap you had on your family trip to Costa Rica and apply it to other daily struggles that we face.

Benjamin Snitzer said...

Sabrina, this is amazing! The way you developed the story was perfect and kept my holding my breath the entire time. I really loved the way that you compared the 911 Road in the dark versus in the light. It really showed how skewed our perspective becomes when we don't know the full story. Great job Sabrina!

Anonymous said...

Your choice of detail in this writing truly exhibited, what I believe to be, some of your best talents when it comes to creative and reflective writing. You captured the attention of the average reader rapidly and aggressively. I never caught myself skimming the lines. It was almost like we were there with you and I think that only a few gifted writers can make their audience feel that way.

Kaj Miranda said...

I loved the comparison between the physical and mental challenges you have faced and how you have figured out that you will always be able to cross your "rivers" and be safe in the end. I also loved your use of imagery as you really brought the story to life and showed your fear from what you thought was a near death experience.-Kaj Miranda

Unknown said...

wow your story was very inciteful and thought provoking. the experience you included was suspenseful and showed the contrast between the day and the night. my favorite part was when you said that humans aren't afraid of the dark they are afraid of not knowing what lies ahead. good job on your story - kayla j

Yolumi O said...

This story is truly amazing. The imagery you put in this wonderful piece of literature truly mesmerized me in a very good way.

Anonymous said...

I really loved your story. I especially liked the message of becoming bigger than your problems to get through them. I also loved the attention to detail because of the way it captivates the reader.

Anonymous said...

I really love how much detail you put into this piece. It was very easy for me to picture everything as the story was being told. I think the way you compared your experience on the 911 road to life experiences was really good!! -Jadyn Young

Meagan Gifford said...

Wow! This piece was so interesting to read! Great use of imagery and how you tied in the 911 road into it was really cool to read.

Anonymous said...

I loved how captivating the story was and how you took it bit by bit. Taking your time in telling the story rather than rush through something that could've been told quickly gave it more power and value. The words you used gave it more life and made things even more exciting.

Breanne Ha said...

This is a great story! I loved how you were able to use this experience and tie it back to life as a whole. The moral of the story is something everyone can relate to and learn from. Awesome job!

Ibrahim Elhajjmoussa said...

The way you were able to tell the story made it seem as though I myself was there, driving on that road. As I continued reading, there was not one moment where I was not one moment where I did not want to know more about what will proceed to happen. What really made your writing stand out was the message you left for the reader at the end. It was really inspiring and please keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Wow! The story was extremely engaging, I was interested the entire time. I loved how at the end, you had a reflection where you compared the 911 road to your everyday experiences, and applied what you learned back then. Thank you for sharing, I am glad that you and your family were able to make it out of that situation! - Eddie Yanez

Hannah Ekelem said...

The way you captured your experience was phenomenal. Your use of imagery when describing the wilderness was amazing and truly brought the story to life. The connection you made between 911 roads and your own life was exceptionally written. - Hannah Ekelem

Amari Osonduagwuike said...

I really enjoyed the way your story was written and love the connection in every way. The story was quite suspenseful at times and that was I why it was really well and why I really was intrigued while reading.

Alyssa O. said...

Your piece was overall amazing,your imagery brought the story to life, and the way you connected it to your life made the piece exceptional ! Great Job!

Michael Reyes said...

Great piece! I like how you included the impact the event had on you rather than just telling an empty story. Your narration didn't tell this story as a simple tale but rather as a conversation between the reader and you, which made this story more memorable.

Ariel Gutierrez said...

Wow! This story was so interesting! I love the amount of imagery you used, it really brought the story to life and it was very easy as a reader to picture this experience. I also enjoyed the title and the word play with it. The metaphors you used to compare your fear to the river made the story so much more detailed. Great Job!