Pages

Friday, November 22, 2019

"How to Make Samosa with Mint Chutney and Masala Chai" by Rumjeet P



     Growing up in an Indian household means lots of spices and peppers. If you can't cook with spices, then your not an Indian. Since I was young, my mom has taught me how to cook different dishes. Samosa is a wonderful appetizer to start with for people who are just learning how to cook Indian food. Samosa is a fried snack than is most commonly eaten in India with chutney and chai.  Now, it is eaten globally by people who love the taste of spices. They are mostly eaten during festivals and as an evening snack. Though this recipe has measurements, I was never really taught off of measurements. 



                                                         (Photo taken by kspoddar) 

Ingredients:
Serving-4
12 uncooked tortillas

(If you don't have Tortillaland Tortillas, please stop reading and run to a grocery store to pick them up)
4 large potatoes
1 Tablespoon minced ginger ( Peel before mincing)
10 Thai chiles (Add more of less for desired taste)
1 red onion
2 cups of Vegetable oil
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1⁄4 cup of frozen peas
1 Tablespoon of salt
1⁄3 cup of water ( used for tortillas)
1 tablespoon of cumin seeds (Jeera)
2 tablespoons of Garam Masala (mixed spices)
1 bunch of cilantro


!Make sure to wash your hands before starting this process!

Step 1- Boil four potatoes in a pot (boil until cooked).
Step 2- Chop one red onion, green chiles, and ginger and add to a pan with cumin seeds and olive oil. Step 3- Saute until translucent
Step 4- Add Garam Masala, salt, and frozen peas. Mix well.

Step 5- Let the filling cool down for 10-15 minutes and move on to the potatoes. Step 6- Mash the potatoes and mix with the room temperature filling.
Step 7- Grab a clean flat surface, knife, spoon, fork, and tortillas.
Step 8- Cut the tortillas in half and break apart.

Step 9- Put your finger in water and apply to the edges as you close the half tortilla into a cone
Step 10- Fill the cones half way with a spoon (DO NOT OVERFILL, THEY WILL EXPLODE)
Step 11-Apply pressure with a fork dipped in water to close the tortilla
Step 12- in a separate pan and the vegetable oil and add the samosa, cook until crispy, golden brown


Mint Chutney Ingredients:
1 bunch of Mint leaves
1 bunch of cilantro
5-10 Thai chiles
1 tablespoon of ginger
2 teaspoons of salt
1 lime
1 tablespoon of cumin seeds (Jeera) 2 teaspoons of Garam Masala 



                                                   (Photo Credits: Rumjeet)

Step 1-Peel the mint off of the stems and wash in warm water

Step 2- Add mint to the blender
Step 3- Wash chiles and peel ginger, add to the blender Step 4- Add cilantro and blend for 30 seconds
Step 5- Add salt, Garam masala, and Jeera into the blender

Step 6- Add half of lime juice from lime (Adjust to your taste) Step 7- Blend all together
Step 8- put into fridge
Step 9- Serve cold with samosa

Step 10- Enjoy! With chai (Recipe below) 

Masala Chai 

Chai is a more of a ritual than a necessity in life for Indians. Many North Indian families drink chai 3 to 4 times a day and include cookies or Samosa as a snack. Perfect time to gossip with a nice cup of chai!) 

 
Ingredients:
Fresh ginger
4-5 Black and green cardamoms 1 teaspoon or 2 sticks of cinnamon 2-3 cloves
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
2 tablespoon of loose black tea
1 tablespoon Sugar

2 cups Water

Step 1- Boil water in a pot, and add thinly sliced ginger.

Step 2-Add fennel seeds,

cloves and cinnamon sticks or powder to the boiling water
Crush black and green cardamoms in a mortar and pestle and/or grinder, and add to boiling water
Step 4-Let  the water boil until it is reduced in appearance.
Step 5-add loose black tea into the water and boiled for a minute or two Step 6-Add milk and sugar
Step 7-Let it boil until it begins to come up
Step 8-Use a strainer over a cup to strain the spices out of the chai
Step 9 -Drink with some cookies or with samosa and chutney (recipe above)
Step 10- Enjoy the different spices included in these recipes!!

Hope to hear back some great comments on how you thought of the recipes. Something different full of spices and lots of chiles that give you a flavorful memory on this original recipe. Hope you enjoy!!!

27 comments:

Shreeya Candipali said...

Mmm, delicious! I was always jealous of your cooking skills, and now you've given me some tips on how to make amazing samosas. These steps were very easy to understand and I could visualize the samosas, chutney, and chai being made in my head as I read your recipes. When you said "Chai is a more of a ritual than a necessity in life for Indians" I completely agreed because it's so true! I can't wait to impress my family with these great recipes.

Katera Perry said...

I can definitely tell your family likes to cook, especially since you were taught to make this recipe without measurements! I love the amount of detail you went into using sight, for example when you talked about water you’d say until it simmers, rises up, and even the use of pictures helped give a great visual. -Katera Perry

Simerpreet Dhesi said...

As a fellow samosa enthusiast, I LOVE THIS!!! I loved how you included pictures of what the foods were AND the how to make chai! The directions are straightforward and easy to follow for beginners. (p.s. gonna have to try adding ginger next time!)

Alison Flores said...

What a wonderful recipe! It was not confusing at all and it was easy to follow! I am sure that my mom or sister would love to try and make this to try something new

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks delicious! Can't wait to try this recipe at home. - Leigh Rubillar

Anonymous said...

This is a dish I will for sure try out! I love spices, this is a great recipe to share with others who might also enjoy spices and want to try something new.

Halie Montes said...

Wow! This dish looks so good, I have to try it one day. Good job at describing the steps and organizing them. You were very clear on what to do in each step! -Halie Montes

Anonymous said...

Wow! This sounds delicious! I have found a new love for cooking so I can't wait to try this. Your paragraph in the beginning was also very humorous. I like how you kept each step short and simple; it makes cooking something new feel so easy. I also liked how you created a separate section for each food item; it makes this recipe much easier to follow. Overall this recipe was very well executed!

- Julia Lozano (per 2)

Stephanie Cabrera said...

I love that you included three different recipes, each was explained with great detail and helped me visualize. The only dish I'm familiar with is the chai tea, I've only had it with boba and I'm very excited to be able to make my own at home. Thank you for these recipes! They sound delicious!
-Stephanie Cabrera

Salamah Salamah said...

When I opened your blog, I was immediately pulled in by the picture. I continued to read more and more as my stomach growled in hunger and desire for some samosas. Your detailed step+by-step procedure was clear and concise. Along with adding a little humor with “MAKE SURE TO WASH YOUR HANDS” to lighten up the read making the samosas THAT much more desirable. I’d loge to try some of those samosas one day!

Drishti Modi said...

Reading your recipe for the mint chutney samosas and masala chai definitely made my mouth water. Your long list of ingredients for each recipe were very descriptive. Your recipes were very easy to follow along visually, nice job!

Amitoj Bajwa said...

I liked how you incorporated three recipes and how well they were explained. I also enjoyed learning a new way of making chai.

Kaylee Tao said...

Just reading through the ingredients, I can't even come to imagine how great these recipes are! The steps you provided are clear and concise making it easy for everyone to follow. I also loved how you provided a bit of background about the samosa and masala chai.

Anonymous said...

Wow this look really delicious! Im someone who absolutely loves and enjoys cooking so I'll definitely keep this recipe in mind. The details in your writing also helps someone like me who has never even heard of this dish so let's hope I can make mine taste just as good as yours!

Justin Lim said...

I love these so much but could only have them once in a blue moon. Your instructions were very clear and I feel like I could actually make these without much knowledge or practice in cooking at all. -Justin Lim

Vibhuti Purohit said...

I loved seeing a little bit of my culture in this blog. I loved the imagery you gave about the samosas (personally, I like the tiny cocktail Deep samosas) and the mint chutney reminds me of how my mom makes it. Thank you!

- Vibs P.

Unknown said...

You did a great job in explaining the instructions so that anyone could be successful with this recipe. I am not skilled in the art of cooking, but even I would have the confidence to make these with your specific walk through. Thank you! :) -Kayla M.

Unknown said...

You did a great job in explaining the instructions so that anyone could be successful with this recipe. I am not skilled in the art of cooking, but even I would have the confidence to make these with your specific walk through. Thank you! :) -Kayla M.

Gabriella Merino said...

What a great recipe! I can tell this dish has a lot of meaning in your family and you were clearly able to list each step for others to recreate at home. Each aspect looks delicious and I would love to try it out.

Anonymous said...

Reading this while hungry was a bad idea. Now I am going to have to go five hours thinking about this dish! The steps were laid out well, and I can't wait to try this recipe! - Nathan Sandoval

Anonymous said...

Your recipe for these samosas made it sound that much more tasty! The pictures you provided as well as the step by step procedure to make these samosas make it seem really easy to make. You provided an in depth list of ingredients as well as detailed steps to understand how to make these samosas. I will definitely have to try this recipe soon, overall great piece! - Yuan Maneje

Unknown said...

OMG this sounds delicious, I have never tried a samosa so I am excited to try these. And you wrote it out so nice and its really easy to follow I love. I will definitely try and make this soon! - Kate Sainz

Ibrahim Elhajjmoussa said...

Wow. I felt full just by reading the ingredients to what sounds like a delicious meal. You had also introduced me to things I have never even thought of before, like putting masala in chai. But, needless to say, I am looking forward to trying it, as well as attempting to make the mint chutney. You did a great job and please keep up the good work!!

CHRISTIAN MIRAFLORES JR said...

Reading through the recipe made me want to try all three of these foods. I liked how the recipe was easy to comprehend, which help a lot due to me not knowing two of these products. Overall, great job!

Xzavion Williams said...

I've never heard of this before but this sounds pretty good. Definitively going to try and make this dish.

Alyssa O. said...

The recipe was overall easy to understand, and I definitely want to attempt to try it out :)

Wendy Castillo said...

I first would like to say that I was intrigued by the picture which led me to read your recipe. I liked it because it was simple and easy to follow and I liked that you included other food recipes to go with the samosas.