Pages

Monday, May 6, 2019

"Verdict " by Adam H


Dear Mr. Nocente,

     I’m sure you don’t know me. In fact, I’m quite positive it’s not in your best desire to. In any slight chance you do, you most likely know my face, or merely the parts you were able to make out in front of welling tears. You may despise me, you may yearn I live an eternal hell for the remainder of my life; quite frankly, I cannot blame you. 

     I received that dreaded notice, embossed “Jury Summons,” stamped with my name and a mandatory date to be met. I longed for a liable reason to skip and in looking high and low, far and wide, I found myself ultimately sitting in that twelve-seated box. In front of my eyes there you sat, weakly fitted in an, unironed, ebony, pinstripe, suit with a blood red tie sloppily around your neck with shoes almost as dull as the color in your abysmal black eyes. Your teeth were gritty and pasted white. You hair undone and knotted as if the wrong side of the bed woke up on you. Granted, it wasn't from bad hygiene, you were a complete wreck sweating from head to toe the moment you walked in. A man in his thirties with his whole life ahead of him, you were scared to hear the verdict, I’d never wish this position on my worst enemy. Your lawyer assured you he had it under control, but you already knew your fate deep down. You knew you couldn’t spend the money for a proper lawyer, kids were always first priority. He had been unorganized and late all week, but he already took your money so you had no other choice. 

     Salty tears dripped down from the laminated family photos of sleek plastic you pulled from your wallet. Two fraternal twin babes, around the age of four, happy and oblivious to the current state of their father. Your mother sat behind in the spectator seating. Short, black, french heels, and a reserved long black dress looking hopeless, tears filling her black eyes, but she didn’t let you see. She wanted to be strong for you, strong for herself. She stared askance at us and mouthed the words through blood colored lip gloss “he’s innocent,” more to assure herself than us. To be quite candid, no one was sure they knew. When the trial started I heard the witnesses and the victim speak vain of you. One after another I heard how jealous you were of him. How much you would’ve gained from his death. How you would pass at his wife and risk to lose it all just for her. Guilty of murder, your best friend of two decades, I was utterly shocked. Those fake tears I thought, how despicable. Recalling the event’s, the unfortunate widow cried, and stumbled across the hall in an emotional flurry. She could barely hold her composure, and you sat there, dazed. The jury, the judge, the audience, even your lawyer stared blankly at you, all but your
mother. Through the beam of eyes you only noticed as she followed the girl’s footsteps out of the courtroom, each heel mildly tripping over each other in a fit of poised despair. You saw her one last time on the front paper the next day. 

     Deciding our verdict, everyone was in sudden relief to hear the four decade imprisonment, the evidence against you was seemingly undeniable. You collapsed on the floor until you were forcibly taken by security. It felt like such an accomplishment to get a murderer off the street, to give a poor widow some closure. Twenty-seven years later we hear the truth spill out as the widow framed you for her own sinful adultery, for the lump-sum of life insurance. Twenty-seven years later you’re let out with mild compensation. Twenty-seven years later your orphaned kids have already called someone else their father. Twenty-seven years later and now over half of your life disappeared behind concrete walls and steel bars. 

     You must be wondering why I write this to you, why I recall such a traumatic memory back to the forefront of your mind. As one of the jurors, I cordially apologize. I could never forgive myself for voting you guilty, for being one of the twelve to send you behind an eternity of despair. 

Regards,

29 comments:

Sofia Hormaza said...

Good job Adam! This is extremely well written and beautiful. You did an outstanding job on the high level vocabulary you used and the point of view you decided to write from is very creative. The letter is very well formatted and I was enticed by reading it the entire way through.

Anonymous said...

oh my god this story was awesome I loved it when I was reading it I jept blocking out everything around me just to focus on it. Awesome job!

Alicia Garcia said...

Wow Adam, I really like your story and the details you incorporated to describe the whole scene. I especially liked how you mentioned the emotion the mother was feeling towards her son and it really felt as if I was in the courtroom myself, watching this all pan out. I was even shocked and felt bad for the father when it was found that he was innocent. Overall great job!
-Alicia Garcia

Lilian Hung said...

Adam, this letter story blog is great! The details and the emotion put into this piece is truly magnificent. Your details were so precise and brought the little details out of the story. I felt every emotion you put into this story from the regret to the despair of the characters.

alicia kaing said...

Adam, good job on the piece!I liked how it was very descriptive during the flashback, and how much was told just from a first person point of view. I liked it brings attention to the many cases today that are being revealed with the same outcome. Good job, once again!

Chad Leron-Madsen said...

Wow Adam! I did not know that you had this creative side to you! I am thoroughly impressed with this fictional juror letter to the suspect in his upcoming demise. We need more writing of this style, this was very interesting and you should be an author. Regards, Chad.

Sara An said...

I have to say, this is one of my favorite posts that I have read all year! The introduction was an instant attention catcher as it built my curiosity as to what horrific deed the narrator had done. There was a beautifully smooth progression throughout the entire story, and the description of the narrator’s past thoughts of disgust towards Mr. Nocente compared to their present thoughts of regret and guilt was masterfully displayed. I also love the little detail of not including a name at the end (maybe in fear of officially attaching themselves to the unjust sentencing of an innocent man). Absolutely amazing job!

kayla holliman said...

i loved this story and all of the detailed descriptions you used to bring the story alive. it was very creative and interesting

Anonymous said...

Good job on the piece. I liked your vocabulary and description throughout the perfectly formatted letter to get my attention for me to pay attention cleary to the background and what is written in order to get an idea on the speaker's purpose for writing this letter.

Alex Lau said...

Wow, what an amazing story. I thought the specific details you used to describe what was happening, especially in the narration of the story. A vivid recollection, something that made this fiction the best from every other flash fiction I've read this year.

Melody Lin said...

I really enjoyed reading this piece and I thought your story was great! I loved how you used the second person because it is unique to what others use. I really felt the emotion from all the details that you included about the verdict. Good job!

Alejandro Marquez said...

This was a really good story. I really enjoyed the point of view in which the story was presented from. both the plot and the character development was very good as well as the imagery you used. Cool story

Nufsat Khan said...

You did an outstanding job of this blog Adam. This is so creative and descriptive. Throughout the whole time i was reading the story it kept me curious. The introduction was the best part of this piece. You did great! - Nufsat Khan

Johnny Gitau said...

This was an incredible post and I literally could not stop reading it the whole way through, you attention to detail when describing the defendant was impeccable, you truly did an incredible job on this piece!
-Johnny Gitau

Anonymous said...

I love the attention of detail you put throughout this describing everything. the creativity just made me wish there was more to read and kept me very interested in what you had to say, thank you for sharing with us. -Aaliyah Mallard

Anonymous said...

I love this story, Adam. Your creativity really jumped out! This blog was very descriptive and I really enjoyed the character development and use of imagery. -Donyale Thomas

Mary Rykowski said...

This story was so compelling and beautifully written. I liked the little plot twist at the end when the truth was revealed. Also the structure in which you wrote this was very interesting and it worked really well for telling the story you wanted to tell. Great job!

Jackson DeAndrea said...

Adam, this story is absolutely amazing. Your use of visual imagery is one of the best I have seen so far, and you're able to tie it into suspense as you continue to read. I also want to give you props for the outstanding development of the story, it truly is an amazing timeline you have pieced together. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Jacob Lopez
This was one of the most emotional posts I have seen so far I definitely felt the emotion in this and loved the way you took the narration of the story and also great job on the imagery. Awesome job!

Anonymous said...

Hello Adam, this an amazing and well written piece! I can certainly feel the emotions of the audience, juror, and Mr.Nocente, through the perspective of the juror. The way the juror describes the individuals in the scene was so detailed, that it felt like I was in the juror spot during the hearing. I really like on how you used visual imagery and distinct detail to convey the mood of the scene. Also, I really like the twist in the ending on how Mr.Nocente was actually innocence, it made every thing tied together on why the Juror wrote in the first. This letter is so well written, it feels realistic. Overall Good Job!
-Jean Andre Molina Period 4

Kaili F said...

This was incredibly engaging. Your imagery helped make the reader feel in the moment and apart of the scene. Also, the letter style format helped the audience recognize the honest regret and guilt of the juror and this topic really did highlight the issues and complications with the criminal justice system. Many individuals are locked away wrongfully, losing many years of their lives and for no compensation or even a sorry.

Noah Palmer said...

This story is very deep and complex, the imagery is so vivd and the twist at the end is just icing on the cake. Great job on this blog!

Amber Rich said...

Adam, this was amazing! I love how creative it was and it was written very beautifully. I could feel all the emotions within each word, great job!

Ethan Mathenge said...

How this is structured as a letter gives this letter this unsettling and mysterious feel to it which made reading this story even more chilling and enjoyable to read.

Cedric Perez said...

I really love this piece and how you were able to write it in such a sophisticated, yet conversational way. I felt the strong guilt of the narrator and through your descriptive imagery, I was able to visual the courtroom and I felt I actually witnessed the verdict myself. Great Work!

Omar Sandoval said...

This is a really good post, I really like all of the details and how the diction stays very consistently complex throughout the piece. I really like how there’s the moment in the post where the writer expressed how they believed they’ve convicted the murderer and how they were crushed to find the truth. The repetition of the twenty-seven years really brings about the seriousness of the life Mr. Nocente has been condemned to. Overall a really good post.

Alani Sullivan said...

This story was so incredibly amazing! I was so in to it that by the ending of it, I was beyond shocked. I had to atleast reread it a few times to actually understand what had happened. The whole issue was insane but so beautifully written. The guilt was shown vividly and the apology seemed so real! great job adam!!

Anonymous said...

I love how advanced the vocabulary was but it felt like a regular conversation. There was lots of detail and the way you told the story was creative. Great job.

Aaron Salazar said...

I was able to feel the regret that the character felt during this entry Adam. It was emphasized by the excessive but somehow necessary details and it really hit me in my heart. These kinds of moments that occur in life are no joke and it's regrettable that these kind of things occur. You did a wonderful job Adam!