Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2019

"Jambalaya" by Jordan D


How to make the best Jambalaya in your home. Jambalaya is a Louisiana-Origin dish that has both Spanish and French influence. Jambalaya was created out of necessity, it’s has been said that it originated from the popular dish Paella which is a Spanish dish. It became a staple dish in the south due to large quantities being cooked in one large pot over a wood fire. You would often see this dish at occasions like rallies, weddings, and family reunion. Jambalaya is definitely a must try if you ever visit Louisiana and if you appreciate this southern dish. 

The dish mainly consist of vegetables, spices, meat, seafood, stock, and rice. There are two types of ways to prepare Jambalaya one of the ways is Cajun and the other is Creole. The difference between the two is that Creole includes tomatoes getting its other name known as “Red Jambalaya”. Creole culture can be referred to anyone who has french, spanish, african, or caribbean heritage. In both preparations they both include the holy trinity of vegetables (onion, bell peppers, and celery) while the meat is being cooked together. The Jambalaya that I would be making is the Creolo way or Red Jambalaya the reason being is that it has more flavor than the Cajun Jambalaya. There are many ways you can make it the opinions are endless. A lot of different combinations to choose from and every time you make it will always taste delicious. 

A couple years ago my sister Leeanne or also known as Ms.Do dragged me to a place called Ritter’s Steam Kettle Cooking that specialize in southern cooking. That’s my first time trying actually southern food not counting Popeyes. Don’t get me wrong I love Popeyes it’s my favorite fried chicken place, but I know it’s not authentic southern food. The first thing I tried was the pan roast which I gotta say it wasn’t my cup of tea. When Ms.Do first talked about it she hyped it up on how it tasted like heaven hit your mouth. In reality that was all just a lie. It was very disappointing, but it didn’t stop me from trying other things. That’s when I found the legendary Jambalaya and that tasted like heaven in my mouth. Ever since then I’ve been begging my mom to make it, but she refuses to make it. Being desperate I told myself that just cook it yourself and stop being a child. When I started to make the dish it was very scary due to the fact it was my first time actually cooking something instead of ramen. 

Ingredients
  • -  Shrimp
  • -  Garlic
  • -  Green onion
  • -  Medium size onion
  • -  Three strips of bacon
  • -  Two cups of white rice
  • -  Two bell peppers
  • -  One can of tomatoes and two tablespoons of tomato paste
  • -  Andouille sausage 



  • -  Celery
  • -  Two knobs of butter
  • -  Chicken broth
  • -  Carrots
  • -  Crabs
  • -  spices
    Utensils
- large and small pot - Ladle
- Knife 


The First step of making Jambalaya is cut and peel all the ingredients that are shown above. All the vegetables have to be diced up except for carrots they will be sliced up into one inch knobs. Next, is to behead and peel the shrimp and toss the head in the large pot with olive oil and stir them around for a minute or two. Then, add the crab to the pot leaving it there for about a minute afterwards add the chicken broth place the stove on high and heat it up to a boil thus creating your seafood stock. 


Now time to add the carrots to the pot and reduce the heat bringing it down to a simmer and let that sit for about two hours. The best part it’s time to introduce some fat you’re gonna get the three strips of bacon and cut them into one inch strips and toss that into a separate pot. The bacon is gonna sizzle and let it brown while that happens you’re gonna introduce the holy trinity which consists of celery, onion, and bell peppers and just add them to the pot. 

The rice comes next, you’re gonna need two cups of white rice and make sure you wash it two times to get rid of that scratchy taste. Then toss that to the small pot where the holy trinity is at and the goal is to toast the rice and wanna keep stirring the ingredients so that it doesn’t get stuck to the bottom of the pot. While the rice is being toasted you’re gonna add the diced up garlic and green onion sprinkle it on top and keep on stirring.
Now for the Andouille sausages you wanna sliced them up and add them to the pot as well. You wanna give it one nice stir make sure you dig from the bottom so that the none of the ingredients get stuck resulting in burnt food. After, that you wanna add the one can of tomatoes and two tablespoons of tomato paste. Remember the seafood stock that you made in the
beginning it’s time to extract two cups of it and add it to the small pot. Now for the spices add some salt, pepper, oregano, and paprika.Give it one finally stir and place the lid on top and cook it for about 30 minutes. Time for the last piece the shrimp add that to the pot and turn off the heat, because we will be using the residual heat to cook the shrimp. When you add the shrimp don’t stir it, but take your ladle and go from the bottom back to the top. Now for the best part it’s time to eat the best Jambalaya in the whole world. 


41 comments:

Lilian Hung said...

Jordon, your recipe of jambalaya sounds great and very mouth watering. The descriptions that you included makes sure that I will be able to make the recipe well and I hope to make it tasty as well.

Chad Leron-Madsen said...

Wow jordan, I really enjoyed this instruction essay on how to make some jambalaya. Now I will definitely use this recipe in the future due to your exceptional cooking and teaching skills.

Alejandro Marquez said...

this sounds like a very delicious recipe. i also like how you included the history and the variations of jambalaya. I also appreciate the instruction for when to add each ingredients. as well as the amount to each ingredient. it looks very good i might try to make it
Alejandro Marquez

Anonymous said...

This is a very understandable recipe! I have never eaten or heard of Jambalaya and it has to be because my family does not eat seafood. I will have to try this one day on my own because I am a fan trying new things - jayleen lupian

Melody Lin said...

Not only was your how-to helpful to those who want to make jambalaya, but it was fun to read about how you came across this dish in the first place. I like the brief background that you added about the dish itself and I enjoyed the concise list of ingredients. Good job!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a super delicious dish. Your instructions are very specific and precise, and the addition of pictures allows me to clearly follow along. I will very much attempt to cook this one day. The ingredients are also very specific like "Andouille sausages". This is a very good looking dish that contains many additions that I love to consume. -Jacob Ramirez

Paul Aureus said...

Jordan, thank you for sharing this wonderful idea of how to make jambalaya. Though I did not expect this from you, it is quite interesting you have chosen this dish. -Paul Aureus

Anonymous said...

The tidbit of the history and how you came across the dish made it really personal. Reading this blog made me exposed to another type of food. This looks amazing to try out.
-Grecia Sepulveda

Johnny Gitau said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe with us as a food connoisseur (no specific food just everything that looks good) I can't wait to try out this recipe and see how it differs from other variations of jambalaya I have had before.
-Johnny Gitau

Kiyla Nunez said...

I think that after reading this it makes me want to try cooking it because of how delicious it sounded

Gianna Guzman said...

Jordon, this recipe was very detailed and it's so interesting to come across someone with such an expertise on southern food. I liked your little background on the dish. Very good job!

Valarie Ly said...

Jordan, thank you for writing such an informative recipe. I am glad that you put a step-to-step process on how to make the dish, which reminded me of your pho recipe from freshmen year. If I ever learn how to cook, I will be sure to come back to this blog post.

Sharon Yutuc said...

I've never tried authentic southern food so when I read this, it made me wish I can eat some of that authentic southern Jambalaya. To be honest, I didn't know what Jambalaya is, when I read the title I thought it was a country or something XD. Nevertheless, I'm now interesteed in trying to cook this in the future since I love seafood, meat and vegetables combined together to make food.

Adam Huizar said...

I really want to try this because I’ve really never had real southern food and I so want to try it. It always looks so hearty and good I need some badly!

Eric Chang said...

Jordan this recipe sounds very delicious! I like how simple the step by steps were and how thorough and clear what utensils you needed. Some food tutorials out there lack the details which frustrates me but yours was well done and simple. Great Job! - Eric Chang

Anonymous said...

Super easy to follow recipe that I wanna try! It flowed really nice and on top of that, had a few comedic effects that was enjoyable!
-Alyssa Nelson

Jasmine Hernandez said...

Jordan your recipe seems very easy. I have never had jambalaya I have to try it!! Thank ou for this recipe! I enjoyed your BLog. :)
- Jasmine Hernandez

Anonymous said...

I found this really simple but very compact in the amount of flavors that can be tasted. I would make this any day and everyday if I could. Thank you for sharing I really enjoy this !!

Johnny De La Cruz said...

I really love your description of Jambalaya and how you went into the history of the dish as well. I love Jambalaya and my mom makes it for me on special occasions and your recipe is actually pretty similar to mine. Thank you for your detailed recipe allowing anyone to execute it.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! Definitely will try this out and make it for my family to give them something we have never tried before. Also the directions were very easy to follow great job!

Cedric Perez said...

Your writing was very easy to understand and well-structured. I'm looking forward to making this in the future as it seems very fun to make not only for me, but for others as well. Good job on this blog!

Betheni Amador said...

Your introduction of Jambalaya was funny. "In reality that was all just a lie" I'll have to try this recipe out!

Katy O'Hara said...

This looks like an absolutely delicious dish. My mom makes some Louisiana-styled dished as home sometimes as well. I will definitely get her to make this sometime now! Very easy to follow as well. Great Job!

Anonymous said...

I have never tried this but now I feel like I have to! It's always nice to read a how to on our blog. Great job!
-Mackenzie Tipple

Ashley Sierra-Tillery said...

Jordan, I loved the historical background provided, as knowing the origin of cuisines that result from a culture or historical moment improves ones ability to appreciate said cuisine. Great job creating a simple to follow recipe and embodying the significance of the dish in your write-up.
-Ashley Sierra-Tillery

Kiyla Nunez said...

I think that after reading this it makes me want to try cooking it because of how delicious it sounded
-Kiyla Nunez

Santiago Rodriguez said...

Jordan your recipe is really detailed and helpful. I have never tried jambalaya but have often heard about it and wondered what it taste like. I will try your recipe soon and hopefully enjoy it as much as you. Good Job!

Karen Loeung said...

Jordan, your recipe seems very detailed and helpful! I've never tried jambalaya before but now I might just make some. I really liked the pictures you included and how your steps are easy to follow. Good job!

Unknown said...

I like the fact that you are willing to try new things out and I definitely will use this recipe as I am very curious on how good it is. -Jacob Lopez

Nufsat Khan said...

This looks like an absolutely delicious recipe also very informative. Thank you for sharing this helpful recipe. I have never tried Jambalaya before but know after reading this i need to try it. - Nufsat Khan

Andrew Macias said...

What an amazing recipe! Thank you for sharing a very different but delicious food from Louisiana I may have to try and make it soon!-Andrew Macias

Angelina Lim said...

Jordan, your recipe sounds absolutely delicious! I like how you’re instructions are so easy to follow. Great job!

Nicholas Santamaria said...

This was a great recipe!I liked how you included some cultural context to the dish as it made this piece a lot more enjoyable to read! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Jordan, your recipe has instructions that anyone could follow. Not only does the cultural dish look delicious but its shown to be something that anyone at home could try out, well done!

Leslie Rodriguez said...

I’ve never had Jambalaya because I’m just always nervous about trying new things, I just don’t know if I’ll like it. After this I may just have no other choice but to get over my fear because this sounds amazing! Especially if it’s anything like Paella I know I’ll love it, thank you for this great recipe!-Leslie R

Afeef Gulshah said...

The recipe was easy to follow and simple for the average joe to make. We aren't all chefs like you so this was very good and looks delicious, Nice work.

Taylor Archuletta said...

Jordan, thank you for sharing this recipe. I had heard about it before but never was interested in trying it until reading your post, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your culinary knowledge on both the history and preparation of jambalaya. Although I'm not too big of a fan when it comes to southern food, the description and pictures that you provided of the dish are enough to at least get my taste buds started. I'll probably make some this week using your recipe. Thanks Jordan! ~Ryan Kang

Dania Fauzi said...

Jordan this was wonderfully done! Your writing was very clear to understand and that is crucial when writing a tutorial. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Loved this blog, Jordan. It sounds really good and makes me crave jambalaya, especially during this season. Really good job!

Daniel Alexander Peraza said...

I really think you might have convinced me to make this on my own because of your descriptive and concise writing. Thanks for the recipe! - Daniel Peraza