Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2019

"It's Never Too Hot For Soup" by Grecia S


It's Never Too Hot For Soup

In January´s batch of blogs, there was one with instructions for Pho. While reading the blog, it brought back nostalgic memories of the times when I would cook with my mother. So I decided to write my blog on a similar dish called ¨Caldo de pollo¨ (If you translate it, it will say chicken broth, but it is just chicken soup).

Growing up it was never too hot to have soup. It could be 110 degrees and my mother would still serve us a big bowl of chicken soup. When we refused to eat it, she would threaten us with ¨Si no te lo comes te lo hecho por la oreja¨(Translation: If you do not eat it, I will shove it down your ear). It doesn't really make sense, but it gets the message across.
           
      İLets Begin!

What Is Needed
  • Supplies
    • Large pot
    • Knife(Size does not matter, but choosing a small one can make it harder when cutting the meat)
  • Ingredients
    • Salt(2 spoonfuls)
    • Water(2 cups)
    • Cilantro(2 branches)
    • Squash(3)
    • Celery(2 sticks)
    • Garlic(4 cloves)
    • White onion(½)
    • Carrots(3)
    • An entire chicken
*CHOP ALL VEGETABLES BEFORE BEGINNING. THE SIZE OF THE CUTS DEPENDS ON PREFERENCES. BUT LARGER CUTS WILL TAKE LONGER TO COOK. *

Steps

                                                                               I.                  You must first cut the chicken into pieces so it can be easier to deal with.
    1. If you are having trouble deciding where to cut the chicken, use this picture to help. (The image belongs to Martha Stewart from How To Cut A Whole Chicken)
II.                   Then place the pieces of chicken into the pot with the salt and water. When choosing a chicken for your soup, I always prefer going organic because it tastes better. Where I was raised, it was the job of the smaller children to catch the chicken and snap its neck (The chickens were raised at home to make sure it was 100% fresh), but it isn’t necessary to kill your own chicken because we have supermarkets, unless you want to go chase around chickens, then go right aHEAD. (buh dum tss).

  1. Once the water begins to boil, foamy residue from the chicken will begin to rise to the surface. It is important to remove the residue so the soup does not end up with a lot of fat.

    1. The residue will look like this(image came from Just One Cookbook)
III.                  Now add the garlic, onion, and celery to pot. (Be careful when adding these ingredients. The hot broth can burn the skin, so it is important to carefully add the ingredients.) Then bring down the heat to a medium, so the chicken can cook with the garlic, onion, and celery. (Wait about half an hour before going onto the next step).
IV.                  It is now time to remove the chicken pieces, so they do not fall apart and become stringy. Place the pieces in a separate container and put to the side. (Make sure not to let the chicken get cold.)
V.                  While the chicken is off to the side, add the remaining ingredients (cilantro, carrots, and squash) to the pot. (Again, be careful when adding the carrots, squash, and cilantro. When they fall into the pot, they can splash and burn the skin.)
VI.                  Close the lid and bring down the heat to low. Regularly check the soup until all the vegetables are ready(To check you can stick a fork through the pieces, it is ready when the fork can easily go through the pieces)
                                                                                    VII.                  Put the chicken back into the pot and leave it for a few minutes.
VIII.                  After the soup is ready, remove foamy substance(fat) one more time to have the soap as clean as possible.( The fat will change the flavor of the soup if left in.)

1This image contains potato and a chile that was not included in the recipe
It is time to enjoy the soup after so much work. What is great about chicken soup is that you can customize it however you like. If you don't like squash, you can replace it with corn, or add noodles if you want to embrace your wild side. It all depends on what you like, so don't be afraid to put in things that were not included above.

Above I mentioned to remove the fat as much as possible to have the soup as clean as possible, but that is not required. The fat can be left in if you want the chicken remain flavorful and keep the protein that is lost when it was boiled.


           

36 comments:

Brianna Jimenez said...

I related to what you said about your mom serving caldo de pollo in 110 degree weather haha. Your steps were easy to follow and descriptive as well, good job !

Lilian Hung said...

Grecia, your recipe seems good and I would hope to make it someday. The details that you have included are very descriptive and I am excited to try it out.

Isabella Carrillo said...

I think that this is a good instructional piece! It is very specific and informative, the use of pictures was also a good detail to add more ot the piece. Good job.

Ivan Larrondo said...

This recipe was very well organized. I like that each instruction contained its own section and the additional notes at the end of the instructions were very helpful. They were very descriptive and even took into consideration the safety of anyone trying to cook the dish.

Francis Anisi said...

Grecia, this was an amazing how-to! I loved the precision in both your instructions and the images you added! It was also very eye-catching with the use of the differing fonts and sizes! Additionally, I really appreciate how you addressed certain aspects of your culture and added humor to them, specifically with your mom putting soup in your ear and the children getting the chickens! Amazing work Sablowski!!

Chimi Nebedum said...

Grecia, this is a wonderful piece! I'm actually very grateful I read your recipe because now I've learned a new thing that I can make if I'm ever bored or hungry. The pictures definitely contributed to your instructions and gave me an idea of what this delicacy is going to look like!

Sharon Yutuc said...

I love chicken soup since my parents make filipino chicken soup all the time. So when I saw your post on how to make mexican chicken broth, I got hungry. I love how thorough you are when giving instructions so that people with different taste and preference can enjoy it. I also love how you put a little humor in it just to spice it up a little bit. I hope to use this in the future someday.

Anonymous said...

For someone who loves soup, id definitely love to make this. Great job!

Sara An said...

This was both easy to follow and sprinkled with little bits of humor that made it very enjoyable to read. The translation was both unexpected and funny, and I appreciate the addition of the pun despite its slight morbidity! Nonetheless, this soup looks delicious! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Very nostalgic to meals my grandma would cook, super easy to follow recipe, I'll be sure to try it soon!!
-Alyssa Nelson

Jasmine Hernandez said...

Haha I can so relate about eating soup in hot degree weather. I like how your recipe is very simple and detailed. Thank you for your amazing recipe.
-Jasmine Hernandez

Katy O'Hara said...

I love how you threw in some humor into this recipe. I love learning of food that come from different heritages. This is very well organized and very easy to follow. Great Job!

Anonymous said...

I agree, soup is always a win. My mom always wants soup so this reminded me a lot of her. I would love to give this recipe a try and like I said to Jordan, how to's are always fun to read!
-Mackenzie Tipple

Audrie Torres said...

Ha, I felt that with your mom telling you she would shove the soup down your ear if you didn't eat it- my grandma is the same way. The recipe was really easy to follow, and the added bits of humor make you more likely to actually enjoy making it! Really awesome!

Anonymous said...

Grecia, this may just be the most delicious recipe I've seen here thus far. As I was looking at this, my mouth was watering as I was looking at the pictures of the soup. I think I may try this one on a rainy day.
-Lance Aquino

Unknown said...

Grecia, I love the personality you gave this piece with your inro and it was concise and easy-to-follow through to the end. Thank you for a great dinner idea!
-Ashley Sierra-Tillery

Santiago Rodriguez said...

I can totally relate to having soup even in warm weather. I enjoyed reading your feedback and I found it funny as well as helpful. Your recipe is detailed and I appreciated how you emphasized how the dish can be customized tto your liking. Great job!

JuliaAvalos said...

I love soup with a passion regardless of the weather. Thank you for sharing this easy and yummy recipe! (Julia Avalos)

Brooke Leslie said...

Grecia, this how to is very well organized. Your bold move to talk about soup in hotter climates was a satirical decision that worked out very well.
-Brooke Leslie

Brooke Leslie said...

Grecia, this how to is very well organized. Your bold move to talk about soup in hotter climates was a satirical decision that worked out very well.
-Brooke Leslie

Unknown said...

I agree with you you can never go wrong with soup in fact I think I'll go make some right now! Great job on the recipe by the way. -Jacob Lopez

Nufsat Khan said...

This is such an amazing recipe. Thank you for sharing this helpful recipe. This was really easy to follow also looks delicious. - Nufsat Khan

Angelina Lim said...

This recipe sounds delicious Grecia! I agree that soup is meant for any season and not just for cold weather. Great job!

Andrew Macias said...

Great recipe for family chicken soup. Reminds me of all the amazing soups my family makes and how I would also want to eat them in the hot summer just because they were so good.-Andrew Macias

Nicholas Santamaria said...

This was really well put together! Including you own personal background really helped personalize your recipe more to help it stand out.

Omar Sandoval said...

Great recipe, I like how you use the intro to share your experience with the recipe and why you decided to write about it. Being someone who's had caldo de pollo countless times, the recipe looks great and I'm surprised by how similar my mother's own recipe is with only a few differences.

Leslie Rodriguez said...

I personally relate very much to the beginning of this, for my hispanic family it is never too hot for soup. I loved this recipe, it is really quite similar to one my abuela uses when making her chicken soup. This was so great and I may just try this out, thanks for the detail!

Anonymous said...

This piece was really instructive of how to make the recipe along with how you were able to incorporate personal aspect to the story which gave it multiple levels of taste and character to it. All the detail that went into this piece makes it easy to where anyone who wants to make this can follow step by step. Ill be sure to try this dish for myself. Keep up the good story details- Sezar Guitron

Anonymous said...

Alas, I dont consume the meats, but I can imagine this would be delicious. Very informative writing! - Ethan Ford

Unknown said...

This piece was very easy to follow along with being extremely informative. It is also an amazing recipe I will have to use!
-Julissa Saenz

Anonymous said...

I was reading this and it made me so hungry, the way your provided images on the steps and how detailed you were throughout it made my stomach grumble in delight and craving for this chicken soup.

Dania Fauzi said...

Fantastic job! I really admire how you took inspiration from another blog post, and that it resonated with you so much as to write your own soup tutorial. I never knew about this soup dish, and I am glad to have learned how to make it. Well done!

Jackson DeAndrea said...

Gracia, I love soup myself, and just reading the recipe makes my mouth water. Whenever I go backpacking, lightweight food that can give me much energy, like soup, is my best friend on the trail. I will definitely use this recipe next time I'm out on the trail. Great job!

simran said...

I love soup, and I definitely agree that it’s never too hot for soup. Your recipe was simple and easy to follow and I really appreciate that. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Thank you for showing us how to enjoy a well organized soup. I also really like how you have us the option to customize our own soups! Not only does this look amazing but sound so fun to make. -john Borden IV

Daniel Alexander Peraza said...

Grecia this is amazing, just how clear the instructions followed along with pictures for support are just fantastic. I will for sure use this recipe for the future because of how amazing it is. - Daniel Peraza