Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2019

"Before it's too late" by Deanna O



      One of the worst days of my life started off as ordinary. That morning started off like any
other morning. I ran down the stairs with my backpack in one hand and my sweater in the other. My sister yelled and complained that I was going to be late for school. I stuffed my grey sweater inside my backpack, grabbed my shoes and ran out the door and into the car. I was hurriedly putting my shoes on in the back of the car. When we arrived at my middle school, I booked it and ran straight for my classroom. I walked in just as the bell rang and I let out a sigh of relief, one more tardy and I would have had a detention. I dropped my backpack onto my desk and placed my homework on my desk. I was talking with my friend right across from me, when a TA walked in and gave the teacher a slip. Usually, this meant someone was going home or to the office, but mostly to go home. Everyone was watching, waiting and hoping that their name would be called so they could go home, me along with them. To my surprise, the teacher called my name and told me I was going home. My brow furrowed in confusion. I glanced up at the clock, I had only been in class for 20 minutes. I thought maybe I had a doctors appointment I didn't know about but that did not seem right. There was another possible explanation in the back of mind, but I did not let myself think about it. I was happy to go home and I walked out of the classroom with a spring in my step until I opened the office doors and I saw my older sister. Her eyes were red-rimmed like she had just been crying and her black hair was wet and disheveled. I walked straight to her and asked what was wrong. She just shook her head sadly at me and led me outside by the hand. My heart raced with anxiousness. Once we got into the car, I saw my younger sister in the backseat of the car with a worried expression on her face. My oldersister let out a deep breath before she finally told us that our abuela had passed away that morning. Her
voice broke as she spoke the words. I didn’t know what to say or do and all I could do was stare at the window. We drove to my abuela's house and the whole family was there. Everyone was sharing their favorite memories of her and crying. In that moment, I felt like a monster because I wasn’t crying. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t. The next day we went to the wake, the drive there was sad and quiet, and no one bothered to turn on the radio to fill the silence because everyone was lost in their own thoughts. Even our footsteps were solemn as we walked into the building. When I walked into the room, I could see her lying in the coffin. My heart stopped when I saw her. Her eyes were closed and it looked like she was only sleeping, but I knew better. I slowly walked closer to her and I felt my lip quiver. I realized that tears had started to roll down my cheeks and they wouldn’t stop. I don’t remember walking out. I do faintly remember my older sister pulling me into her arms and whispering comforting words in my ear. My other older sister joined in and my younger sister hugged my waist. I could not comprehend what was happening. She was here and then she wasn’t. Death was something I saw in the movies or something that I read about, not something that happened in real life. I don’t think the reality of it all hit me until then. I realized that I wouldn’t hold her hand and I wouldn’t see her on the porch waiting for me. I didn't realize all the things that I took for granted. The things that I should have appreciated before they were gone. 

     Life is short, there is not nearly enough time with the people that we love. Ever since that day, I make sure to say “I love you” before I hang up the phone and I will always forgive. At the end of the day, nothing is more important than family and sometimes we take them for granted.

27 comments:

Matthew Ulloa said...

I’m sorry for you loss especially at that young of an age and thank you for sharing because it must’ve been hard to write this. I painfully understand everything you said about death, realizing that they are gone after the fact. I like your message at the end because it is true, we only have out loved ones in our life for a short time so cherish it.

alex le said...

This narration was absolutely easy to follow and really nicely organized! Aside from that, I've experienced a loss from my grandfather as well and although the scenarios were a bit different, I didn't cry or anything at first, but seeing the pained expression and tears on my family members who I thought were the strongest people I've come to have known had me blubbering like a baby! Overall, this was a really easy piece to read and even if it was a bit on the somber side, I still enjoyed reading it! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Hi Deanna, I would first like to say i'm sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing. Secondly, I really liked your message at the end. I agree that life is short and that we don't have a lot of time with our families and that we sometimes take our families for granted. It's extremely important that we spend time with our families as much as we can and to hold on to the love our families give us.
- Karen V.

Brianna Jimenez said...

Thank you for sharing your blog I found it very touching and you were strong for sharing such a personal story. I agree with what you said about death just appearing in movies and not in real life, people often don't imagine it until it does happen and then it hits you hard. Over all, your piece was well written and easy to follow, good job.

Noah Palmer said...

This is one of the most relatable blogs that I have ever read. Death is scary and random, but the fact that you can speak about it gives a genuine feel to the blog. Im sorry for your loss and you did a really good job!

Mason Song said...

Deanna, thank you for telling us your experience, and I’m very sorry for your loss. Your piece is really impactful, showing how hard reality can hit us of how fast time is really flying. It showed me, in particular, how scary reality can be if we submerge ourselves in a more carefree realm. Reading it has also helped me reflect on myself as a person, the time that I am spending with my family, and how grateful I am to have them with me. Again, thank you for sharing this, it really moved all of us as readers and reflect.

Anonymous said...

First off I would just like to say sorry for your loss. Even though time has passed memories always remain (Hopefully good ones!). I understood completely the situation you described as it had happened to me as well with my grandpa. It didn’t hit until you’re in that funeral home and it is all too real. Great overall depiction of such an unfortunate part of life. -Joshua Kidwell

Kayla Evans said...

Wow, it must've been very hard for you to share this, I appreciate your strength in doing so. It was very well written and easy to follow. You did a great job at expressing what happened and how you felt. I also really liked your message at the end of appreciating what we have and the time we have with our loved ones. Great job.

Unknown said...

Deanna, this short story was full of vivid imagery and I'm sorry for the loss of your abuela and how you regret spending time with her. I like how you made a profounding message at the end of the short story describing theses regrets and how they can be applied in the universe (the cycle of life). Life often comes at us surprisingly and I feel as if your short story was an excellent example of that.
- Mayur Chhitu

Alicia Garcia said...

I am so sorry for your loss Deanna, I can't imagine what it must have been like for you, especially at that age. But your story was very moving and made me realize how I take many things for granted myself. I love the detail you had put into your piece, along with the description of how you have grown from this devastating experience. Great job on your writing overall.
-Alicia Garcia

Gianna Guzman said...

Deanna, this blog is clearly very emotional and personal for you and you are able to communicate it clearly in your writing. The beginning details when you talk about rushing for school and not being late really add to your whole message that tragedy can strike at any moment and that we need to appreciate what we have. Death is never something you can prepare for and I'm glad you're strong and confident in sharing this memory. Good job!

Jordan Do said...

First, I'm very sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing your story with us. I completely agree with you that life is short and we shouldn't take time with our loved ones for granted. We don't know when our journey ends. Thank you for sharing.

Amber Rich said...

Deanna, first of all I am so sorry for your loss and I thank you for sharing this story. Secondly, you wrote beautifully and I could feel every emotion that you were feeling like the anxiety before knowing what had happened and the sadness in your heart after. I think often times we forget how short life is and how things can change in a second or even take for granted the ones that we love and you portrayed this message very well, great job! -Amber Rich :)

Johnny De La Cruz said...

I'm sorry for your loss and I can relate to you in a similar way when my grandma died it started as ordinary as well until my dad picked me up early to tell me what had happened. I was so young and naive at how suddenly someone that you had just talked to could be gone in an instant. At first I didn't let myself cry either until I was alone. Thank you for sharing this very personal event in your life.

Alejandro Marquez said...

This was a very emotional story and very sad as well. The ending was very unexpected it and the whole story was written very beautifully. i want to say i'm sorry for your loss. I also agree that life is short and people should realize and be grateful for what they have.

Xiaoqing Zhong said...

Your piece is very touching and I am able to it so well. You did an amazing job describing your internal thoughts and the details you have included in your writing, such as you skipping your way to the office, really shows the transition of tone. Over a decade later, I still remember when I arrived home from school on a normal day of second grade and found out my grandpa has passed away the morning of. I am very sorry for your loss, but these experiences have taught us that life is unpredictable.

-Xiaoqing Zhong P.4

Kaili F said...

The background/intro to this piece was well written and really helped set the mood for the piece and demonstrate how drastic and impactful this change was for you and your family. Overall the message of your story is so incredibly valuable and well-conveyed in your writing.

alicia kaing said...

You are very strong to be able to write about such an experience. I liked how you incorporated that a normal day can just turn bad with any news. I enjoyed your short message at the end of the story as well, that we shouldn't take things for granted and that life is too short. I am sorry for your loss.

Jean Andre Molina said...

Deanna, first all I'm sorry for your loss. In some ways I could somewhat relate to what happened. I lost two important people in my lives and it never fully hit me until the funeral. Your reflection overall was very powerful in evoking numerous emotions, through your first person point of view, the audience was able to see your perspective. Also your diction was powerful, it allows us to feel on what you feel. All I could say no matter what happens, we can endure and sometimes overcome a tragedy or a challenge. Thank you for sharing us this personal event.
-Jean Andre Molina Period 4

Karen Loeung said...

Deanna, firstly, I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for your loss and that you are so strong for sharing your story. I went through almost the same situation as you did, so I can empathize with how you were probably feeling. Other than that, I thought your piece was extremely well-written and I loved the message you included at the end. It's important that people realize not to take anything for granted and I like how you chose to write about it. Great job!

Sandra Mae Samin said...

You described this event with such vivid detail it was easy to envision everything you were seeing and feeling. Such loss is hard to experience, and you conveyed such complex feelings and thoughts into cohesive and relatable writing. Great work, thank you so much for sharing.

Natalie Cerrillo said...

Deanna, I just want to say that I’m so sorry for your loss. The way that you expressed your emotions through your writing was great because I really felt your pain. Thank you for being brave and sharing this with us and thank you for reminding me to not take anything in life for granted. Great job.

Unknown said...

I truly do appreciate you sharing your experience I'm sorry for your loss I felt the emotion and it reminded me of my own experience with this subject Good work. -Jacob Lopez

Jazzelle Figueroa said...

This piece shows a life lesson that always needs to be taught. Thank you for sharing just a sad part of life that everyone has to go through and give us personal insight. You’re use of vivid imagery and emotion allows your readers to understand and follow the story easily. Amazing job.

Omar Sandoval said...

The pacing, diction, and description with in the piece were really good. I like the overall message of the piece you express at the end and being someone who's had similar experiences, I know how important that can be now. Overall great post and thank you for sharing your story.

Luke Andrus said...

Loss is one of the most difficult emotions we deal with as people, and you emanated that perfectly. You can feel the anxiety and panic that occurs when we lose someone near and dear to our hearts, very powerful Deanna

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss. This was an incredible piece and I totally agree, there will never be enough time with our loved ones. Very well written.