Pages

Monday, November 26, 2018

"Saying Goodbye" by Lindsay S.



      It had just started to snow in Rexburg, Idaho. We sat in the warm car and watched the
delicate snowflakes hit the windows as they melted. My mom sat in the driver’s seat, my dad in the passenger seat, my sister and I were bundled under blankets in the backseat. I tuned out as my mom explained once again to Casey how important it was to not go anywhere alone at night, eat healthy, and get good grades. I listened to the still silence outside and watched as the occasional pedestrian hurried to their destination. As they walked by, I could hear their boots splash in the snow, which was slowly becoming brown slush. Although I had been expecting this goodbye since the day she got accepted into college, it was more difficult than I had anticipated. I start listening again as my mom and dad told my sister that they loved her, as they tried not to cry. We all got out to hug her one last time before leaving her. As we got out of the car and into the freezing air, snowflakes surrounded us and it was finally time for the dreaded goodbye. I hugged my sister, knowing things would never be as simple as they were when we shared a bunk bed and played outside together. Then, she turned around and headed into her new apartment. When she got inside, she waved and we waved back as we got in the car. The goodbye was over and then began the long, lonely car ride home.
     There’s something I have never understood about goodbyes other than the obvious why do they have to happen? I guess what I can’t seem to comprehend is why goodbyes are always sad. No matter the reason people are saying goodbye, they are never happy about it. My sister
was starting college, a new and amazing experience, but still we dreaded the thought of leaving her.     How do these goodbyes impact our lives so much? My sister would always make my decisions for me, what would I do now that she’s 882 miles away? Of course I could call her, but it would never be the same. It was time for a new chapter in all of our lives. A time for me to learn how to make decisions and be responsible without my big sister right beside me. But why so soon? My sister and I have always been inseparable, so how was I supposed to go through some of the best/worst times of my life without my best friend? Besides, life moves so fast why can’t we just stop and enjoy it for once? Why are we so involved with what we have going on right now that we forget that one day we will be forced to continue on with our lives? We do not realize the little time we have to enjoy life and so the time slips away from us.
     Maybe that’s why goodbyes are so miserable, one cannot imagine their life without that person. When they leave, things have to change and might never be the same again. At the same time, though, maybe that’s what makes goodbyes essential. They give us an opportunity to experience new things, to grow, and appreciate what we once had. Since my sister left for college 3 years ago, we’ve grown into new individuals. Nonetheless, we still talk everyday and she’s always the one I go to first for help. Goodbyes might make things more difficult, but they are not the end. They might physically separate people, but not the bonds between people. Possibly goodbyes are meant to make you appreciate what you are leaving because you don’t realize what is so great is right in front of you. If nothing ever changed, you would not grow as a person and have the opportunity to become your best self. People are placed in our lives at certain times for certain reasons. Although I didn’t want my sister to leave, it was time for me to grow up and become my own person.
     People dread goodbyes because to say goodbye is so final. The fear of letting go overcomes you as you realize it’s time to part. It is so easy to keeps things exactly the way they are. There is no risk, and therefore no chance of failure or sadness. To let go means that you must take a chance and attempt something you have never had to before. Although this may seem like the better choice, to keeps things the way they are, it is not truly living. Goodbyes open opportunities for individuals to discover who they are and who they can become. In order to experience life, we must experience goodbyes.

23 comments:

Sofia Hormaza said...

Lindsay, your entry is very relatable and I understand what it feels like to live far from loved ones. Your analysis on why people fear goodbyes is explained very well and it is easy for readers to follow along the writer's mindset. I like how you wrote out your story and then wrote what that experience taught you. Your story is written out excellently with really good details and I enjoyed reading it! Good job! -Sofia H

Lilian Hung said...

Your story about dropping off your sister at college and saying goodbye is incredibly touching and like you, I never gave much thought to what saying goodbye truly meant. The way that you described the atmosphere of before and after your sister left really captured how it was like a black hole just came into your life. I think that you missing your sister truly shows how much you both have influenced each other and like you said, 882 miles can never break your bond with each other. Your experience was relatable and it showed me that goodbyes may be hard but never permanent.

Sara An said...

As a younger sister to a sibling in college, I can definitely relate to this. (I don't think I had fully understood what my sister going to her dream school meant until it was time to say our farewells!) Including a description of the snowy weather compared to the warmth of the car was an excellent detail; it really emphasized how close and loving your family was despite the impending separation. Also, your description of what you learned was amazingly written. Great job!

Sandra Mae Samin said...

Lindsay, it was quite endearing to read this about your sister. You eloquently expressed your feelings that I feel would resonate with a great deal of other people that hate saying goodbye to their loved ones. I loved how you vividly described the scene of dropping off your sister and then smoothly transitioned into your perspective about the essence of goodbyes. Amazing work, keep it up! :) - Sandra Mae Samin (per. 1)

Angelina Lim said...

Lindsay, I can relate to the experience you went through as a loved one moved somewhere far away. The way you wrote this story was extremely detailed and I felt like I was there in snowy Idaho with you. This was an amazing piece Lindsay! Great job!!

Jackson DeAndrea said...

Lindsay, I could only imagine the hard and difficult path you must've gone through in saying goodbye. I myself have to be in the position of saying goodbye to the ones I love the most in life later next year, and I don't know how I'm going to do it. This piece was relatable, and I hope you know that there are people here rooting for you.

Melody Lin said...

I can relate to this experience because my sister and I are extremely close and when she moved it out it was really strange to adjust not having her near me all the time. You expressed your ideas in a way that reminded me of the day my sister moved out. Your piece showed the how we sometimes take for granted the time we have with loved ones. I loved the scene you painted of the car ride back from the college because that was how I felt when my sister moved out. Good job!

Skylir Ford said...

Lindsay, I truly love this reflective piece because it caused me to look back on my own life and question why I feel certain ways when saying goodbye to certain people. It’s amazing how something so inspiring and joyful like having a sister get accepted into college to better their life can have such an impact on the family for better or worse- however like you stayed goodbyes are necessary to experience new opportunities. Overall, I love your positive outlook on life that is emphasized with your honest and heartfelt tone, and thank you for teaching me something as well!

Skylir Ford said...

Lindsay, I truly love this reflective piece because it caused me to look back on my own life and question why I feel certain ways when saying goodbye to certain people. It’s amazing how something so inspiring and joyful like having a sister get accepted into college to better their life can have such an impact on the family for better or worse- however like you stayed goodbyes are necessary to experience new opportunities. Overall, I love your positive outlook on life that is emphasized with your honest and heartfelt tone, and thank you for teaching me something as well!

Kendra Gonzalez said...

Although I can not personally relate to this, the way you wrote your story and the details you added really helped me feel what it may have felt like. Your use of imagery to set the scene and emotion really added to this piece and I think the overall message is very powerful and speaks truth. Amazing work!

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing story and I love how you hook the readers with a personal story. My sister is about to leave for the Navy and your story helped me cope with the fact that sooner or later I was not going to be able to have my big sister holding my hand. I loved the sensory detail of the boots splashing in the snow and the detailing of this piece as a whole. You did an amazing job.

Anonymous said...

Your story was able to communicate the way I see goodbyes so well. Moving away from loved ones or loved ones moving away is an experience everyone has experienced and the feelings behind it were conveyed so clearly from you. The reasons behind why we grief over goodbyes was also extremely relatable, regarding how we can't imagine a future without them. Your transition from personal story to reflection adds a layer of authenticity that I loved, and I myself could relate directly to your story as well.

Lexi Smith said...

Lindsay, I loved your analysis on why people actually hate goodbyes. The amount of detail you put into the story is amazing! I’ve never experienced this in my life but because of this story I have an idea about what it’s like. Good work!

Daniel Rodriguez said...

Thank you for sharing your experience about your sister going to college. It is understandable that goodbyes are sad. You did a great job of what you experienced and what you learned.

Cedric Perez said...

This piece was written very clearly and perfectly expresses your deepest feelings about saying goodbye to your sister. I especially love the second paragraph where you incorporate a set of questions, showing your inner thoughts and conflicts. Moreover, I especially loved the descriptive imagery in the first paragraph where you described the cold and snowy environment around you. This section really set the tone for the story, Great Work!

Simran said...

I love the last line of your blog: "In order to experience life, we must experience goodbyes." This is such a true statement and I honestly never really thought about it. Im grateful for the new things I learned by reading your blog.

Sara Harvey said...

I thought your story was so vivid and it felt like I was there with you! I think your personal reflection on this experience is something that every reader can relate to, which is really cool. I enjoyed hearing your personal journey after this experience.

Rauhl Morrisey said...

Lindsay, I have to say that I really feel you. I remember when i moved from North Carolina all the way to California without my old friends that I grew up with. The way you questioned how you're going to do things without the ones around you and how it made me think about the ones who are around me. It's not the best feeling when you can't see someone who was close to you anymore but it can give you a chance to meet someone else to have even more good times with cause there's plenty of fish in the sea.

Luke Andrus said...

I remember when I said goodbye to my older brother, and I didn't realize it at first, but missing him would be extremely difficult for me. You encapsulated that perfectly, especially the pain we feel as we part. No one really wants to say goodbye, and you captured that extremely well. Great job!

alicia kaing said...

Nice job writing your story Lindsay! Good job with the imagery within the poem, as well as writing in first person. I'm not the youngest of my siblings, so I don't understand the responsibilities and feelings associated with that position, however, reading the story from your presepective opened my eyes up a bit. Good job again!

Jean Andre Molina said...

Hello Lindsey, your piece is really well written. I really like on how you use visual imagery especially when you described the "boots splashing in the snow." That usage of imagery further allows the audience to see your perspective on your experiences. Furthermore, I really liked how you contemplated what "goodbye" truly means to the person. Being an immigrant who left his friends and families, I can certainly relate that saying goodbye is not certainly the end of the world even though at first it may seem is. I still managed to keep in contact with my families and friends that I left behind. Also, you are truly correct that “Goodbye” open up opportunities. If I didn't go to the US I wouldn't have all of the great opportunities such in school, culture, and so forth. Overall Great and Amazing Piece!
-Jean Andre Molina Period 4

David Jimenez said...

Although I don't have much experience with snowy weather, your use of imagery was able make me feel like I was somehow there as I was reading your piece. I admire your interpretation of this transition of having to part away from someone you are close to because you say that it's never the end. I do not like good byes because I do not like big change and I feel like we both agree on the same thing. Good job!

Dania Fauzi said...

Lindsay this was a very well written story about the feelings you experienced when sending your sister away to college!! I especially enjoyed how the narrative opened with a very warm, comforting tone despite the inclusion of cold, wintery imagery. Great job!