Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

"The One Who Got Away" by Imani S


I don’t remember everything, but the details I do rememberI wish I hadn’t.
            One Saturday morning in the middle of October during my sophomore year of high school, around ten to be precise, I awoke to a text about a friend who I considered family:
Jordan got into an accident.”
Stunned, I frantically began replying with questions, “Where is he? How did this happen? Is he okay?”
Her reply: “He’s in a coma at the hospital.”
Now I’ve only experienced one other death five years prior, but being so young, I was oblivious to the long-term effects this kind of event would have on my life. Upon hearing the news about Jordan, I texted two of our mutual friends because at the time, I didn’t know how to reply; I felt helpless. What could I have said to make her feel better? Suggesting my friends and I visit Jordan in the hospital the next day, I was the last one to arrive. Hospitals have always given me weird vibes and I try to avoid them as much as possible, but I knew this was something I had to do. When I got there, the halls were filled with watery eyes and swollen faces of family and friends. There were quick embraces and small talk before I was supposed to go in to see Jordan. Wanting one of my friends to go with me, but not wanting them to experience the trauma again, I sufficed to going with my mom. His room was only a few doors down from the major sliding doors which separated patients from the public, but I was still anxious. As we made our way down the hall, I quietly gave myself a pep talk which insisted on me not crying when I got there. I stepped into the room and saw Jordan, his family was trying to seem somewhat okay and greeted me with slight smiles and warm hugs. I rubbed Jordan’s legs because it was the only part of his body that was exposed, I wanted to feel his warmth; he was completely covered in bandages from head to toe. As I looked at his swollen face, I couldn’t believe this was his reality. I didn’t cry, I had to be strong for his family. He reacted to my touch by moving his limbs and caused his machine to start beeping due to his brain activity and a team of nurses rushed in to try to calm him. When they left, Jordan’s family asked if I wanted to pray for him. Being religious at the time, I kindly accepted. “Dear God,” I didn’t make it past these two words before I broke down, squeezing the hands that were interlocked with mine. My mom finished the prayer and when she was done, had to nearly carry me out because I was such a mess. I couldn’t control the flow of tears, let alone my body. Once we were out the major sliding doors, she took me to a corner of the room I buried my face in her arms, so as to not make my friends cry. It didn’t work and before I knew it, my friends had joined me in a large embrace and we stayed there for a while. After a few minutes, we wiped our tears and just sat with each other, not talking, but appreciating each other's presence. During the week I made frequent visits and my hope grew for a positive outcome when I learned Jordan was improving, he could do this. The following Friday I visited with four of my friends and was surprised at the atmosphere of the waiting room, everyone was smiling and laughing. They were all relying on faith that he would pull throughI was too. I left in a better mood than usual and even enjoyed the rest of my night. Sunday came around and so did the text that made my heart drop:
 He’s gone.”
No. No. No.
I didn’t want to believe the words that were right in front of my face. No. It’s not possible, he was getting better, he was supposed to make it.
            Jordan: the guy who could play any instrument he laid his hands upon, who had a great sense of humor, whose voice could put you to sleep, who ALWAYS put others before himself.
            Above all else, this tragic event made me appreciate the people in my life even more. The compassion and love that Jordan shared with me made me want to share it with others as well. I learned that things aren’t always going to go the way I want them to, and I’m still not sure why this had to happen, but I have to trust that in due time, everything will make sense.



24 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for your loss, sometimes in life things can be taken away from us so easily, we need to remember that we're all going to go one day and the best thing we can do is to dedicate ourselves to doing good for the sake of God. I hope you're able to move on and be at peace.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry you ever had to feel anything this tragic, I couldn't imagine going through something so sad. Your story is so clearly written it really gets the message across perfectly, That you should never forget to appreciate the people in your life because you never know when it'll be the end. Thank you for sharing something so personal, great job!

Unknown said...

I am truly sorry for your loss. What I enjoyed most about this piece is that not only did you open up and speak about a tragic event that occurred in your life, but you also reflected on in and grew as an individual. Losing someone dear to you can be very difficult but I love how you took his death as a way of appreciating life more.

Unknown said...

I always questioned the higher power why the worst things happen to the best individuals, and you are right, through time, things will begin to make sense, and that's the harsh reality that everyone must go through. I admire this specific piece of literary work so much because it exudes such bravery. To not only endure an event so emotional and heart breaking is tragic enough, but you had the courage to share it, and I admire that. I am incredibly sorry for your loss, my prayers will continue to go to you, your friends, and the Nababan family.

Alyssa Giles said...

I appreciate you sharing such a tragic event that happen in your life. I know what it is like to lose someone close and question why did it have to happen to them, but like you said in due it will make sense and today it does. We start to appreciate those around us more and not regret what we have in front of us.

Unknown said...

Imani, I can see how much of an effect this experience has had on your life. I am sorry that you and Jordan's family had to go through that. I loved the way you expressed your emotions from beginning to end, you encompassed what many people feel when something bad happens in their life: faith, denial, and finally acceptance. The tone was very emotional and allowed the reader to realize the significance of this event. Great work!

Unknown said...

This piece was very moving, I would say I can relate in a way as in the past I've lost two grandmas and grandpa but I feel as if it's different since Jordan was one of your friends who was still very young. I'm sorry for your loss and that you've had to go through this hard time. Thank you for sharing this as it teaches us to value our friends and family.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry that you lost Jordan. I know that Jordan's death was a shock to many people at our school and you are most definitely right you have to have faith that in one point in time everything will make sense. Thank you for reminding me how valuable my family and friends are to me.

Unknown said...

I really appreciate that you felt comfortable sharing your experience with your audience, as your detail-by-detail description of the events that unfolded as they happened really allowed your readers to know just how you felt and understand the overwhelmingly emotional ordeal that you had to endure. You did very well in conveying that though you haven't fully comprehended the the true outcome of this event in your life, you are ready to move forward while not forgetting to look back and reflect on this experience as a means of building your mental fortitude. I am sorry for your loss Imani, I hope that you will or have found closure on this personal subject.

Savannah Dunagan said...

This piece was so intense and so touching. The way you wrote the story allowed me to feel as if I was in the situation. I also feel that this piece relates to so many people who have lost a loved one or someone close to them. I also love the dialect making the piece really come to life to the reader. Thank you for sharing this and I am so sorry for your loss.

Unknown said...

First off I would like to say I am very sorry for your loss. Having lost two members of my family now, I personally and hopefully can relate to your pain and struggle in the death of family members. I felt this piece on a spiritual level and every time there is a piece about death I say the same thing, I am and always will be here for anyone that needs comfort. Overall, this piece was a memory stroke and an amazing touching piece. Amazing job!

Jada Dedman said...

Aww, I'm sorry for your lost, thank you for sharing with us. I don't like losing family members, but i try to remember that they're resting in peace now and no longer has to suffer. I try to think positive of situations like that, but really good piece and very touching.

Unknown said...

This was a very emotional piece to read and I admire your courage to share this experience with us. The way you described the events as they occur truly helps the reader to comprehend the emotional distress you had to overcome. I found this to be quite relatable as I too lost someone close to me, and I can understand the pain you've felt through the way you expressed your feelings in such a somber tone. Great job!

Unknown said...

Imani, this was beautiful. Your courage to express your deepest feelings during this heartbreaking time is inspiring, and the details and structure you used to illustrate the incident and your thoughts is impressive! I especially love that despite the grievous event, you ended it with a piece of encouragement that I'm sure will move others as it did to me. Excellent job!

Unknown said...

This piece was very emotional, for myself even to take it all in. I appreciate you sharing this experience and do stand on the belief that everything happens for a reason, even if we don't know the reason why yet. And I believe it should be these experiences that build us up instead of tear us down. These experiences that make us stronger when we recollect our loved ones laughter character because these powerful memories are the things that ultimately shape how the way we will grow and mature as a person.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for being able to share such an experience om the blog. I recently experienced a loss, and it takes a lot of strength to talk about it. I remember this happening so vividly and suddenly, and although I wasn't acquainted with Jordan I hope you and his loved ones cherish the good times with him and remember him in good spirit. Thank you.
-Stephany S.

Christofer Guerrero said...

I am very sorry for your loss. I really respect you for choosing to share such a sad story on this blog, and I can only imagine what you went through. The way you described your friend at the end really made my eyes water, and I can only say that the way you worded every sentence was the cause. This was a very emotional piece and I would like to compliment your writing abilities and say that I can guarantee you that Jordan is in a better place now.

Unknown said...

WOW! First off, sorry for your loss. I applaud you fro writing about something so personal. This piece was extremely well written, as if I was here with you during this time. This is something most of us can relate to, and I am glad you shared this. It is a huge wake up call to cherish everyone in your life. Great Job Imani!!

Vanessa Lisner said...

I must start off by saying that this piece really evoked so any emotions from all of us and allowed us all to feel how tragic this event was for you. As someone who has not experienced the death of somebody close to me, this piece really opened my eyes and made me realize that things can change from literally one second to the next. You wrote this so perfectly and I could visualize you walking through the hospital halls and I could almost feel the pain you felt just by reading your description of it all. Imani, thank you for sharing this personal story with us and my best wishes go out to you as well as Jordan's family.

Carter Cordura said...

Reading this gave me chills all over again. I did not know Jordan personally, but I have known Blessing for years, and I remember this very unbearable time during sophomore year. This is a very strong and meaningful piece and I am very sorry for your loss, and the hardships you had to endure during this time.

Gavin Mendoza said...

Im really sorry for your loss. This piece was probably hard for you to write as it was very emotional and heartbreaking to read myself. the amount of detail you put into this conveys the emotion strong.

Unknown said...

I definitely remember this event and it will forever stick with me. Reading this allowed me to be able to feel the emotions you've experienced and somewhat understand the events' repercussions in your life then and now. I admire this piece because it's raw, it's real, it's true to the emotions and the pain you acquire. Let's strive for the day we meet Jordan in the bright morning.

Unknown said...

Wow Imani this was a really personal thing you shared with us and I am glad you did. You really allowed me to relive those moments in sophomore year, when very close friends of mine were upset about this event. I didnt know jordan personally but i knew of him. And your story you presented to us really gave me a better understanding of the event itself. The vivid word choices you used were great, i am awfully sorry for your lost Imani :(

Marianne Siapno said...

This was truly a very powerful piece, Imani. Thank you for sharing such a personal experience with us. Since I am aware of this situation two years ago, I feel so sympathetic with the emotions that you have expressed in your writing. This piece moved me so much, and being such an empathetic person, I was on the brink of tears. You showed true, human emotion that aren't always prevalent in writing and your narration allowed us to see the kind of person you are. I continue to send prayers and love to you and Jordan's family and your piece is at the highest honor to his regard.